1. What is unique about the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve?
The most unique feature of the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve is that the organization does research and conservation activities and at the same time allow tourists to enjoy the charming beauty of desert sand dunes and its rich culture. During the visit, one can spot the famous Arabian Oryx, wild cats, foxes, wandering camels, and other animals here and there. In this distinguished landscape, one may wonder with the variety of activities that make one be engaged throughout the journey.
The best part of the place is watching the sunset over the dunes. Whether you want to see it from the top of a dune or amidst the glaring Bedouin village, don’t leave this exquisite national park at its most stunning.
2. What is the vision and values of the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve?
There are four important points come under the vision and values of the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve. They’re as follows:
1. The first statement reveals that the management wants to create a permanent natural habitat that is based on ecological principles. Moreover, it aims to preserve natural resources as it is and try to maintain the original desert landscape.
2. The second statement states that the local community and tourists can gain access to the Reserve and indulge in tourist activities, however, they have to make sure it would not affect the primary role of habitat conservation.
3. The third statement is to protect the heritage and traditional practices that have been integrated as a part of the region’s history and culture. Thus, it helps in maintaining the identity of Dubai’s tribal history.
4. The fourth and final statement is predominantly about gaining recognition from the international community under the United Nations’ Protected Areas Management principles, amongst others and make sure that the Reserve is preserved under the prescribed law.
3. What is the history of the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve?
When you look into the history, it contains many untold success stories. For instance, in 1999, there were 70 Arabian oryx re-introduced, 6000 trees and shrubs were planted. In 2005, seven camera traps were deployed to gain baseline data on nocturnal and cryptic species within the DDCR. In 2009, comprehensive vegetation was carried out as part of the DDCR Biodiversity monitoring program. In 2014, a young Sand Fox was caught during a Biosphere expedition, proving that this elusive species is breeding in the area. Thus, with many more events, the DDCR has given anticipated results and continues its good work to give a better living environment for all species.
4. Which are the current Research of Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve?
The current research programs undertaken by DDCR are:
- A quantitative study of the hyper-arid vegetation that is altering gradually due to grazing in DDCR.
- A study on changes in functional diversity that falls under the pressure of grazing in hyper-arid shrubland ecosystem.
- An extensive study on Camera Trap and its Survey of the DDCR.
- An assessment of Forage Productivity and Carrying Capacity, and many more.
Each research is conducted full-time with the qualified research personnel, followed by the findings and reports are submitted to the management consistently. After a thorough study, the mentors will guide the researchers as and when required.
5. How many types of mammals & reptiles are there in the Reserve?
In the mammals’ category, there are totally seven species available, including dogs, cats, antelopes, rabbits and hares, hedgehogs and shrews, rodents, and bats. Similarly, in the reptiles’ category, they have found five different species so far. They are snakes, lizards, geckos, skinks, and worm lizards. Each species is unique and has special characteristics when compared to its family.
6. What are the different types of Insects and Spiders in the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve?
When it comes to Insects and Spiders in DDCR, they are divided into four sub-categories, namely, Spiders & Scorpions, Woodlice, Centipedes, and Insects. Among these amazing creatures, there are nearly 13 variety of insects found, in which the Beatles, Silverfish and Firebrats seem to be rarest ones. You must consider yourself lucky if you spot any one of them while travelling.
7. Are there any hotels nearby?
Yes, of course. There are plenty of hotels and desert resorts available near the DDCR. With chic interior and world-class amenities, one can experience the best hotels at ease. Each hotel’s price is unique, and you can go with the most suitable one. Some of the notable hotels are Arabian Ranches Golf Club Hotel, Al Habtoor Polo Resort, Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa, Radisson Blu Hotel Apartment Dubai Silicon Oasis, and so on. Each hotel has a good reputation for their incredible activities and hospitality. Thus, tourists can delve into any one of them according to their budget.