About Dubai FountainThe Dubai Fountain is the largest choreographed fountain show in the world, covering an area of 8 acres of land. It is set in the Burj Khalifa Lake, downtown Dubai city. The fountain system was inaugurated during the opening of the Dubai Mall and is essentially a part of the same. The fountain is built in a unique design and is visible from as far as 20 miles away when the shows are on.
The design of this magnificent water monument comprises of five circles of various sizes and two arcs. The powerful nozzles shoot as much as 83 thousands of litres of water up to a height of 500 feet. The 50 colour projectors and 6,600 lights installed within the platform, create as many as 1000 water and light patterns, achieving a spellbinding effect.
The accompanying music ranges from classical Arabic compositions to modern, international pop selections, including the works of Michael Jackson, Andrea Bocelli or Whitney Houston. Fountain shows are held daily and last up to five minutes. The fountain performance is accompanied by light and music shows and is visible from every point of the lake promenade.
Spectators can also enjoy the show from every other neighbouring structure that overlooks the Burj Lake. Laser shows accompany the fountain dances in the evenings. The Dubai Fountains offer two amenities to allow the spectator to get closer to the fountain show. The Dubai Fountain Boardwalk is a wooden structure built on the Burj Lake.
The spectators get to view the show from as near as 9 metres. Apart from that, the Dubai Fountain Lake Ride allows spectators to enjoy the show from traditional Abra boats on the Burj Lake. Tickets for both facilities must be booked in advance. Shows are held daily, with a minimum of one show per day, and does not charge a fee to be witnessed.
Suggested Read: 55 Best Things to Do in Dubai
Location: Fashion Parking, Dubai Mall, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard, Dubai.
Timings: Afternoon shows - 1.00pm and 02.00pm on Fridays, 01.00pm and 01.30 pm on all other days.
Evening shows - 06.00pm-11.00pm, with shows every half an hour.
Price: The fountain show is free of cost and does not require a fee, from either tourists or locals. However, a fee of AED 20 is charged if one avails the Abra ride during the show.
Places to visit near Dubai Fountain
1. The Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo: Located within the Dubai Mall, the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo house some of the rarest underwater species in artificially created habitats. For the more brave-hearted, the Aquarium offers a number of different activities including Scuba Diving, Cage snorkelling or Shark Diving, which involves coming face to face with the Aquarium's collection of Sand Tiger Sharks. The Underwater Zoo also offers presentations and tours around the area, with its main attractions being the King Croc and the exhibit displaying UAE's 'Night Creatures'. You can book Dubai aquarium & underwater zoo tour to make your trip memorable.
2. The Dubai Opera House: Located in the heart of Dubai's opera district, the Dubai Opera House hosts a plethora of events ranging from music concerts, theatre or dance performances, operas, exhibitions and more. Known as one of the most magnificent architectural works of the city, the Dubai Opera House can house nearly 2000 people, and it's flexible structure allows it to hold both offstage and onstage events. The Opera House hosts a number of theatre performances every week.
3. Burj Park: Contained in a little island on the Burn Lake, the Burj Park is a quaint leisurely attraction in Downtown Dubai offering a full unobstructed view of the Dubai Fountain and the Burj Khalifa. The well-landscaped park is designed to host a number of events including weddings or outdoor concerts and is the designated venue for the popup markets set up during the Dubai Shopping Festival in winter. The scenic spot provides a perfect locale to enjoy a quiet picnic or simply go biking along the cemented roads. Bike hiring and parking spaces are made available near the entrance to the park and have a restaurant of its own.
4. Wild Wadi Water Park: Located in front of the magnificent Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, Wadi Water Park in Dubai is one of the best water parks in Dubai featuring nearly 30 water rides and 3 pools. The park is themed after the tales of Juha, a mythical character emerging from traditional Arabic folklore, and boasts of a number of adventure rides. Apart from its amusement rides, this water park also offers an artificially created surfing experience. The tickets are determined as per the height of each person, you can book wild wadi water park tour with special discounts for online booking.
5. Hub Zero Dubai: Hub Zero Dubai is a state of the art indoor theme park in Dubai that takes interactive gaming to a whole new level. This colossal complex of entertainment boasts of multiple hyper-reality gaming experiences through its 18 rides and attractions, ranging from old school attractions such as pinball machines or Pac man to VR- enabled games. The place also provides a park for younger children with games suited to the age. You can also book hub zero with green planet tour Dubai to spend amazing time with your family.
6. Dubai Ice Rink: Located inside the all-encompassing Dubai Mall, Dubai ice rink provides actual snow and ice to create an authentic winter sports experience. It is one of the best places to visit in dubai at night as the rink opens as early as 10 in the morning and remains open until midnight. The ice rink provides skating gear on rent for its visitors and also provides coaches for inexperienced skaters.
Popular Read: 55 Best Tourist Places to Visit in Dubai
Restaurants near Dubai Fountain
- Thiptara: A venture of the Palace Downtown, Thiptara offers a luxury waterfront dining experience as it is the most amazing place to enjoy a romantic dinner in Dubai. Situated along the Burj Lake, the Thiptara directly looks out to the Dubai Fountains and the Burj tower. If you have a penchant for Thai food, Thiptara, with its indigenous Indonesian dishes, is the place to go. Delicacies range from dim sums to seafood and rice curries, with their speciality being the Massaman lamb curry.
- CLAW BBQ: Located in Dubai's Souk Al Bahar, CLAW is a Barbeque eatery and American restaurant. Their menu includes a variety of seafood dishes along with American street food. CLAW also boasts its host of sizeable food challenges for the diners, including the supersized burger and inferno wings challenge. The accompanying CLAW Barn is a game room open to diners, fitted with arcade games and a jukebox. The restaurant also serves alcohol.
- Asado: The restaurant Asado was built as a homage to traditional Argentinian cuisine. Also a part of the Palace Downtown, Asado prides in its range of traditional Argentinian steaks, which is prepared on a '"parrilla" or an open grill before the diners. Signature dishes include the grilled meat platter.
- Ewaan: Placed against the setting of flamboyant Arabic architecture, the Ewaan Restaurant in Palace Downtown offers a blend of traditional Arabic as well as Oriental cuisine. This waterfront restaurant offers both a la carte and buffet lunch and dinner services, with a wide range of Arabic finger foods, seafood dishes and chocolate-based desserts.
- BiCE Mare: Nestled in the heart of Downtown Dubai, BiCE Mare is one of the best and most notable restaurants in Dubai serving Italian cuisine. The menu boasts of a wide range of seafood. The food is prepared out of fresh, local produce, and the menu features plenty of vegan-friendly items. The waterfront restaurants give a direct and unobstructed view of the Dubai fountain show and remain packed to the rafters at most times.
- Mint Leaf of London: Mint Leaf of London in Dubai Downtown offers the best luxury Indian dining experience and it is one of the best Indian restaurants in Dubai. If you're a fan of traditional Indian curries, Mint Leaf will not disappoint. The restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor seating options and provides a fantastic view of the Burj Lake outside it.
You may also like: 25 Best Beach Restaurants in Dubai
Places to shop near Dubai Fountain
- Dubai Mall: Dubai Mall is the second-largest shopping mall in the world and covers an area as large as nearly 50 football fields. Along with its luxury hotel, cinema screens, restaurants, and cafes, the Dubai Mall houses an ice-skating rink as well as an Aquarium and Underwater Zoo.
The Dubai Mall features an extensive Fashion Avenue, a spacious fashion precinct with a hydraulic catwalk, and houses around seventy stores, ranging from chic retail outlets to designer brands, The VR Park is an indoor themed virtual reality park that allows one to experience rides through augmented reality.
There are amazing things to do in Dubai Mall as the entertainment center also includes a children's fun zone, called the KidZania, which plays on the idea of a dollhouse and creates a small-sized city for children to exercise their life skills through role-playing. The top of the Mall tower, opening into the Burj Khalifa, features an observation deck that offers a 360-degree panoramic view of the city.
- Souk Al Bahar: The Souk Al Bahar is a modern-day souk located in Downtown Dubai, its specialty being the sale of handicrafts, Arabic souvenirs, and antiques. The main attraction of the Souk Al Bahar, however, is its collection of waterfront restaurants and best cafes in Dubai that provides a view of the Dubai Fountains and the Burj Khalifa.
Notable shops within the Souk includes the Camel Company, a camel themed outlet selling camel shaped items like key chains, notepads, and fridge magnets, and Bateel which sells quality gourmet dates, as well as chocolates and other Turkish delights.
The Souk Al Bahar also features a Kids Zone, which provides educational workshops and fun activities to do in Dubai with kids within the age group of 6 months to twelve years old. The shopping centre, Spinneys offers fresh produce, including local as well as imported items.
Recommended Read: 30 Best Places for Shopping in Dubai
Places to stay near Dubai Fountain
- The Palace Downtown: Strategically located in Downtown Dubai near the biggest tourist attractions in the city, the Palace Downtown is a luxury hotel providing a traditional Arabic palatial experience. All the rooms in the hotel are fitted with balconies and terraces looking out to the Burj Lake or the Dubai Fountains. The hotel is also popular for hosting one of the most famous Friday brunches in the city.
- Armani Hotel: A 10-minute walk from the Dubai Mall, the Armani Hotel offers a high-end stay. Along with modern, well-clad rooms and plush lounging suites, the hotel also features an outdoor swimming pool, a terrace lounge and 8 restaurants, including Italian and Japanese options. It is the best hotel in Dubai which cater to top-notch amenities
- Emirates Grand Hotel: Housed in a 47-storey tower, the Emirates Grand Hotel is located only 4 kilometres away from the Dubai Mall. The upscale rooms provide housing area as well as small kitchens. This alcohol-free hotel also features a spa, a sauna, a rooftop pool and two restaurants serving traditional as well as international cuisine.
- Shangri-La Hotel: Providing an armchair view of the Arabian Sea, the plush rooms in Shangri-La provides minibars, tea and coffee makers, along with bathrooms fitted with soaking tubs. Suites feature separate living and dining spaces along with 24/7 room service. Other amenities include three indoor restaurants, one outdoor bar and two lounges.
- Manzil Downtown Dubai: A 15-minute walk from Burj Khalifa, this contemporary hotel provides upscale rooms and well-furnished suites. The spectacular accommodation is renowned for its classical architecture and features an outdoor heated swimming pool, barbeque grills and shisha lounges.
Also Check: 50 Best Resorts in Dubai
Best Time to visit Dubai Fountain
The best time to visit the Dubai Fountains would be in the winter months, spanning roughly from November to March, when the weather is relatively cool and pleasant enough to enjoy an outdoor show. The fountain show itself is best experienced in the time immediately before sunset, in the dim twilight.
Suggested Read: Best Time and Season to Visit Dubai
Tips to visit the Dubai Fountain
Here are some tips that every tourist should keep in mind while visiting the Dubai Fountains:
- Evenings or nights around the fountain can get pretty chilly, so it is necessary to have adequate clothing on or with you.
- The fountain shows get crowded quickly. In order to make sure that you get seats that give you a good view of the light and sound show, tickets should be booked early, and preferably a few days in advance.
- Although the fountain has shows in the afternoon as well, it is best experienced during sunset or immediately after, when laser and light shows accompany the music.
Metro Stations near the Dubai Fountain
The nearest metro station to the Dubai Fountain is the Burj Khalifa or Dubai Mall Metro, from where the fountain can be reached by feeder buses. One can also walk their way down to the mall from the metro station via the Metro Link Bridge. Alternatively, one can also use the Business Bay Metro Station.
How to reach Dubai Fountain from the Airport?
The Dubai fountains can be reached from the airport by metro, which ideally takes around thirty-three minutes. Alternatively, one might also avail a bus, which takes around an hour to reach the destination. One might also opt for a cab ride, which takes around forty minutes and charges a little more.
Check Out: 15 Best Things to do in Dubai Airport
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is the best time of the day to visit the Dubai Fountain?
There are two shows, in the afternoon, daily at 1 and 1.30 pm and in the evening, performances are ever half an hour during 6-11 pm. The best times to witness the shows would be before and after sunset, in order to undergo two different experiences.
Must Read: 35 Best Dubai Night Clubs
2. What are the operating days and timings for Dubai Fountain?
The Dubai Fountain operates daily. There are 2 shows in the afternoon, at 1 pm and 1.30 pm except on Friday when the shows are held at 1.30 pm and 2 pm, respectively. In the evening, shows are held every half an hour from 6 pm to 10 pm on weekdays and from 6 pm to 11 pm on weekends, which are Thursday, Friday and Saturday. All performances last up to 5 minutes.
3. What is unique about the Dubai Fountain?
The Dubai Fountain is the world's largest musical fountain. It has been designed by the creators of the Fountains of Bellagio in Las Vegas. The fountain's length is 900 ft. which is almost equal to the length of two football fields. The fountain is accompanied by laser shows in the evening.
Also Check Out: 20 Best Fun Things to Do in Dubai
4. How long does it take to go around the Dubai Fountain?
It takes approximately 30 minutes to go around The Dubai Fountain.
5. What time is the fountain show in Dubai?
The fountain show in Dubai takes place in the afternoon as well as in the evening, till night. The timings for the afternoon shows are 1 pm and 1.30 pm daily. One exception is Friday when the shows are held at 1.30 pm and 2 pm respectively. The evening shows are held every 30 minutes, between 6 pm and 10 pm from Sunday to Wednesday and between 6 pm and 11 pm from Thursday to Saturday. The duration for all shows is 5 minutes.
Must Read: 35 Best Romantic Things to Do in Dubai
6. How high do the Dubai fountains go?
The Dubai Fountain can shoot water up to the height of 500 ft., which is equal to the height of a 50-storey building.
7. What are the timings of the fountain show?
The timings for the afternoon fountain shows are 1 pm and 1.30 pm from Monday to Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. On Friday, the timings are 1.30 pm and 2 pm. The timings for the evening fountain show are every half an hour from 6-10 pm from Sunday-Wednesday and 6-11pm from Thursday-Saturday. The shows last up to 5 minutes.
Check Out: 30 Best Places to Visit in Dubai with Family
8. Does any boat ride available near Dubai Fountain?
There is an official boat ride available at the Dubai Fountain, organized by the Burj Khalifa authorities. It operates between 5.45 pm and 11.30 pm. The duration of the boat ride is 30 minutes. The last boat departs 30 minutes prior to closing. The cost of the ticket is AED 65 per person.
9. What is the best place to view the fountain from?
There is a range of options to select from when it comes to the spot to view the Dubai Fountains from. One can choose the sky view of the fountain from the Burj Khalifa or dine and watch the fountains at the Zeta Restaurant. There is also the close-up view from the bridge, another sky-high view from NEO's Bar inside The Address Downtown and ultimately, the ground floor at The Dubai Mall. Also, there is the Dubai Fountain Boardwalk right in the middle of the fountain which, in all probability gives the best view to the audience.
Also Read: 20 Best Beaches in Dubai
10. Are there any cinemas near Dubai Fountain?
There are 2 cinemas near The Dubai Fountain. One is Reel Cinemas Dubai Mall situated at a 0.4 miles distance and the other is Reel Cinemas Rove Downtown, situated at a 0.6 miles distance from the Fountain.
Popular Read: 20 Best Restaurants in Dubai Mall