Chadar Trek Highlights
- Get a unique experience of walking on the Frozen Zanskar river with the proper taste of a scenic beauty .
- Witness the magnificient beauty of Frozen waterfall to soothe out your soul .
- Equivalent number of staff as per the trekkers for a guided experience.
- Interact with the local people of Zanskar Village during the Chadar Trek 2022, to learn about the history of the place.
- Thrillophilia Exclusive option to opt for an alternate experience "Flavour of Ladakh" on a first come first basis
Chadar Trek Overview
About Chadar Frozen River Trek :
Ladakh is the home to numerous natural wonders, but the most precious gift bestowed upon this magical land is the Chadar Trek. The trek is all about persistence & survival – of learning to survive in the harsh terrains at sub-zero temperatures, interacting with the locals & understanding their way of living, especially in one of the most inhabitable regions in the world, while you trek across a dramatic gorge with frozen waterfalls on the frozen trail of Zanskar spanned out like a “Chadar” it acts as a mirror for the sky!
The primal thrill of sleeping in caves, musing over blazing bonfires in freezing temperatures with most definitely the ever-present sense of danger, yet surviving it all – makes it the “Do before you die” journey!
Chadar Trek Quick Facts:
- Chadar River Trek Duration: 9D/8N
- Chadar Trek Distance: 62 km
- Maximum Altitude: 11,123ft
- Difficulty Level: Difficult
- Chadar Trek Temperature: -5 to -15 degrees (during the day) and -15 to -25 degrees (during the night)
- Chadar Trek Best Time: Early January - Early February.
- Start and End Point of the Trek: Guest House in Leh.
- Nearest Airport: Leh airport. (Kushok Bakula Rimpochee airport)
- Last ATM: Leh Market and Airport.
How to Reach Leh :
The easiest way to travel to Leh is by air. The nearest airport is Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport (IXL) located in Leh. This airport is connected with many international airports in India like Delhi. It also receives flights from Srinagar, Jammu, Chandigarh, and other common destinations in India.
> Option to change the tour plan
Till DAY 3, If you feel that you can’t do Chadar river trek or the govt. bodies declare you unfit for the trek, don’t get disheartened as the first 5 trekkers from the group can opt for an alternate package “Flavour of Ladakh” at no additional cost.
( To know more, hit the Send Enquiry button and get in touch with the destination expert )
Chadar Trek Package 2022 Inclusions:
- 4 Night Accommodation in Leh, that is 2 Night Room and 2 Night Camping at Leh guest house on Double/Triple sharing.
- Camp stay and Vegetarian Meals while on trek (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner). Breakfast on day 4 to celebratory dinner on day 8 in Leh.
- We believe that roughing it out necessarily doesn’t mean sleeping in smelly sleeping bags, compromising on safety by using low-quality equipment, and having unappetizing meals. We focus on your safety, basic comforts, and the environment while camping.
- First aid medical kits, Oxy Meter, because anyone can get hurt during an adventure (our guides are certified in handling first aid situations)
- Qualified & experienced trek Leader, Guide, and Support staff to help trekkers.
- Transport from Leh to Road ahead (on Day 4) and return (on Day 8).
- Porters for carrying common equipments (like rations/tents/utensils/groceries)
- The facility of keeping extra luggage at Leh when leaving for Chadar Frozen River Trek.
- Handpicked Supporting Staff of multiple guides/helpers for the group. This will ensure high safety, accurate information, and personal attention which is necessary for this trek. We will be putting you in the hands of qualified & professional trek leaders, guides, and support staff with multiple years of experience.
- An option to opt for an alternate experience "Flavour of Ladakh" on a first come first basis for the first five trekkers in the group. The option can be availed between Day 1 to Morning on Day 4.
- As the Chadar winter trek takes place at a high altitude, a big oxygen cylinder (15 ltr) will be carried throughout the trek for any kind of emergency.
- Keeping this in mind, the following equipment is provided on the trek:
- Sleeping Bags ( Multi-layered Sleeping bags capable of upto -25 Degree )
- Good Quality Sleeping Tents so the cold doesn’t bite.
- Thick Camping Mattresses provide good insulation between your body & cold ground.
- Kitchen Tents with proper dining arrangements, so you can eat in peace.
- Toilet Tents pitched at the campsite.
Do's and Don'ts On Chadar Trek
> Do’s of Chadar Frozen River Trek
- It’s always good to plan for an additional day to accommodate any unforeseen conditions like bad weather, broken bridges, flight delays, casualties that may arise.
- One should inform one’s family before coming for this trek, so in case of an emergency, they can come for help.
- As there won’t be any pharmacies on the Chadar river trek, please do carry the required medications and a first aid kit, in case of any bruises or cuts.
- Abide by the instructions given by the trek leader or instructor in order to enjoy a safe and sound trekking
> Don'ts of the Chadar Frozen River Trek
- Since you will be trekking in an eco-friendly zone, make sure you do not litter the vicinity and carry your leftovers back.
- Flowy and frilly clothing might hinder your movement. It is better to avoid such type of clothing.
- Do not rely on sports or casual shoes as they might compromise grip on the snowy surface.
- When meeting monks or other locals on the way, pinpointing is not advisable as they make take offense.
More Details about Chadar Trek
Know Before You Go for Chadar Trek
- The above-mentioned price varies accordingly to date and is only valid for certain dates.
- Trekking during the nights is extremely dangerous and might lead to unwanted circumstances.
- It is the responsibility of every trekker to maintain the serenity of the surroundings. Thus, one should not litter anywhere and spoil the magnificence.
- Try not to interrupt or disturb the locals during the trek or other times.
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, roadblocks, bad weather, expenses incurred on account of sickness etc.
- If the trek doesn't take place due to any reason beyond the control of the operator, you will be offered an alternate experience to substantiate your trek in Leh.
- Liability for change in itinerary due to reasons beyond our control like a change in flight and train schedule; cancellation of flights/trains, political disturbances, natural phenomenon, etc will not be accommodated.
- A medical certificate is a pre-requisite document for Chadar Frozen River trek and without which you will not be allowed on the trek.
- For safety purposes, Chadar trek activity is not recommended for women who are more than 3 months pregnant, anyone that has had major surgery, or has a broken leg/arm, has chronic back or neck pains, etc.
- Airport Pick Up and Drop can be arranged on additional charges on request
- Thrillophilia does not have any liability in getting a receipt of the charges paid to local bodies.
- Medical check up may happen either at SNM Hospital or as advised by ALTOA association.
- Local authority (LAHDC, ALTOA) charge fee for environment and Wildlife for the trek which totals to 8500 INR per head (The fee may be revised) will have to be paid by trekkers before starting the trek in Leh, So keep some cash handy.
Things To Carry for Chadar Trek
- Led torch (with extra batteries)
- Backpack with waterproof linings
- Head torch
- Woollen cap, socks, mittens & scarf
- Waterproof windcheater
- Lightweight quilt or blanket
- Mosquito & insect repellent
- Walking stick
- Toilet paper & wipes
- Rain cover
- Fleece jackets and thermals
- Extra pair of socks
- Day pack (20-30l)
- Water bottle
- Warm clothes