What to do in Amsterdam?Cycling through boulevards, Relive history in the museums and old buildings, Chug on the local beer, Appreciate some architecture across the IJ, Shop your hearts out, Walk amidst the tulips, Enjoy a boat ride amidst the canals, tour of the Red Light District, Pamper yourselves with a luxury dinner cruise, picnic at the Vondelpark, Hop on a bike and ride and many more.
Explore various things to do in Amsterdam for having the best experience of your vacation in this beautiful city. Enchanting you with its boat rides around the breathtaking canals, visits to interesting museums and splendid landscapes that treat your eyes, Amsterdam offers a fascinating vacation for all kinds of tourists. Whether you want to soak in the old-world charm of the city or want to indulge in exciting activities like clubbing and biking, Amsterdam is an exceptional getaway for everyone. For those who are wondering what to do in Amsterdam for a fun-filled and rewarding experience, there is a lot to discover by indulging in various activities.
There are numerous activities to do in Amsterdam which involve witnessing the city through a whole new lens. These involve venturing out with a cycle to explore its canals, shopping for designer labels in the Nine Streets, exploring the Red Light District, or sampling a brew at the ‘coffeeshops’ in Amsterdam. Moreover, the city is filled with cultural delights that can be witnessed in its museums and old buildings. For the foodies, the Dutch cheese and wine along with beer offer a gastronomic delight for everyone. The city is replete with the charismatic vibe that leaves all the tourists spellbound and offers many gorgeous attractions to make it a vacation to remember.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Amsterdam
People Also Ask About Amsterdam Things To Do
What are the things to do in Amsterdam?1. Cycling through the city’s boulevards: In a city that boasts of having more bikes than people, Amsterdam is a wonderful getaway for bike lovers. Cycling is one of the most popular and convenient things to do in Amsterdam to pedal your way through the lakes, canals and hidden attractions of the city.
2. Relive history in the museums and old buildings of Amsterdam: Amsterdam is a city where you can find a number of historical places. Some of the popular places to visit are Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Museum and The Royal Concertgebouw, Museumplein which give a glimpse of the splendid culture of the city.
3. Chug on the local beer: Amsterdam offers an amazing guided tasting tour at Brouwerij ‘t IJ which is one of the most popular microbreweries here. If you are wondering what to do in Amsterdam to make your vacation booze worthy, a visit to this place is a must to taste their seasonal ales and craft beer.
Location: Brouwerij ‘t IJ, Funenkade 7, 1018 AL Amsterdam, Netherlands
Timings: 12 pm till 8 pm.
4. Appreciate some films and architecture across the IJ: Located near the banks of IJ behind Central Station, tourists are in for a cultural extravaganza at the EYE building. This area of Amsterdam is buzzing with its cultural scene which can be enjoyed in several ways. There is an EYE Filmmuseum with an exhibition of in film library and cinema along with a fantastic restaurant bar with open seating.
Location: IJpromenade 1, 1031 KT Amsterdam, Netherlands
5. Shop your hearts out: Indulge in some retail therapy by shelling out your money in the independent shopping streets of Amsterdam. One of the well known places in Amsterdam is the Nine Streets where you can find more than 200 retail shops. This place offers numerous goods ranging from vintage items, designer dresses, handmade cosmetics etc.
6. Walk amidst the tulips in the bright mornings of Amsterdam: One of the most unforgettable activities to do in Amsterdam is to take a stroll in the tulip gardens of the city. This is a great activity to be enjoyed in the spring season when the landscape is filled with colorful blooms. The best blooms can be seen in the fields between Haarlem and Leiden.
7. Enjoy a boat ride amidst the canals: If you wish to know what to do for exploring the city of Amsterdam in the best possible way then a boat ride amidst its picturesque canals is highly recommended. One can choose among different tour operators and choose the best package among the boat rides. The enjoyable tour can be clubbed with a cocktail and dinner night to soak in the surreal nights of Amsterdam with a boat ride in these canals.
8. Have a tour of the Red Light District: One of the most notorious places of Amsterdam for the curious souls to visit is the Red Light district. It is often known as a center for Amsterdam prostitution. This place is a must-visit to explore the quirky side of Amsterdam where you can also explore many monuments and churches from the past of the city.
Location: Red Light District, near Oude Church
Timings: 10 am to 11:30 pm
What are the romantic things to do in Amsterdam?1. Pamper yourselves with a luxury dinner cruise: Enjoy the panoramic waterways of Amsterdam by sailing along with a 4-course dinner in this two and a half hour dinner cruise. It couldn’t get more romantic as you are served the best wine and cheese by candlelight to enjoy the company of your significant other while sitting in a glass-enclosed boat.
2. Have a picnic at the Vondelpark: Soak in the sunshine and enjoy the beautifully manicured gardens of Amsterdam at Vondelpark. This is among the most romantic activities to do in Amsterdam as you get to enjoy a laid back day while having a great lunch and appreciating the scenery around.
3. Hop on a bike and ride in Amsterdam: For the couples who want to know what to do in Amsterdam for some adventure, biking your way around like the locals is the best answer. It is a great way to experience the culture of the city and explore the wonderful historic streets, the city’s main attractions, and ride along the gorgeous canals of the city. And if you’re lucky, you can also catch a serene sunset at places like Keizersgracht, Brouwersgracht, or Herengracht.
4. Get high on coffee: If you are a couple who loves to savor coffee wherever you go, then Amsterdam is one of the best places to be in. It can be enjoyed with a guide on a walking tour where you can sample the different cafes. Moreover, these coffeeshops in Amsterdam are known for selling different types of cannabis products.
5. Get your mouth watering with chocolate tour: Amsterdam is well known for its chocolate shops and visiting to see how they are made is a wonderful way to indulge your sweet tooth. These chocolate tours are a great way to learn the history of chocolate and witness firsthand how chocolate is made.
What are the free things to do in Amsterdam?1. Explore the canals of Amsterdam: Hailed as a UNESCO world heritage site, these canals in Amsterdam are a part of its 400-year-old heritage. Taking a laid-back stroll alongside these canals is one of the most mesmerizing things to do in Amsterdam.
2. Explore Albert Cuypmarkt: This is the largest street market in the city where you can put your bargaining skills to good use. This is a place where you can shop for fabrics, cheeses, bike locks, socks etc. There are also many ethnic shops and various great Indian and Surinamese restaurants which you can explore on your visit here.
3. Do some photography at the flower market: One of the most picturesque spots in Amsterdam is the Bloemenmarkt, the flower market which offers a great opportunity for the shutterbugs. This market is perfect for a casual stroll to see a variety of tulips, daffodils and lilies blooming beside the beautiful canals of Amsterdam.
4. Get lost in the old-world charm of Begijnhof: It is one of the most fascinating places in Amsterdam where you can find yourself losing the track of time amidst the old houses. This place was founded in the fourteenth century and has the oldest wooden houses in Amsterdam.
5. Enjoy the company of films at EYE Film Institute Netherlands: One can visit the basement section of EYE Film Institute Netherlands which hosts a permanent exhibition of films in Amsterdam. This place is a must visit to admire the architecture and culture in the city of Amsterdam.
6. Spend some time at Vondelpark: Enjoy a chilling escape from the chaos of modern life at Vondelpark. This is a place where you can just relax and soak in a sunny day. It is also a great way to take a break and enjoy nature. The park also hosts many free theatrical and musical performances which are held in its open-air theatre.
Which are the best places to enjoy shopping in Amsterdam?
1. The Nine Streets (De Negen Straatjes): Known as the area of nine narrow streets, Nine streets is hailed as a shopper’s paradise in Amsterdam. It is located between Leidsestraat and the Jordaan district and known for having a great collection of restaurants, cafes, art galleries, jewellers, boutiques and vintage stores.
2. The Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat: These are the two popular shopping streets in the city centre of Amsterdam. While Leidsestraat is known for its popular shops like Filippa K, Karen Millen, Paul Warmer and Shoebaloo, Kalverstraat is where you can find a variety of brands ranging from H&M, Zara, Esprit, Urban Outfitters, Pull & Bear and UNIQLO.
3. Spiegelkwartier: This is the best place to go in Amsterdam if you are interested in checking out the art and antique objects in the city. Spiegelkwartier has more than 70 antique shops and galleries which present a wonderful collection of paintings, ceramics, glass, jewellery, furniture, tribal and Asian collectibles.
4. The Utrechtsestraat: For the shopping lovers wondering what to do in Amsterdam to take home the best souvenirs, Utrechtsestraat is definitely not to be missed. It is full of concept stores, fashion boutiques, interior design stores and also has many restaurants to offer you tasty food when you are tired with your shopping spree.
5. Batavia Stad Amsterdam: Batavia Stad Amsterdam is a fashion outlet mall which has a collection of more than 250 fashion brands, cafes and restaurants. It is one of the popular places to indulge in some retail therapy by fetching some amazing labels and brands like Polo Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Nike, Lacoste, Replay, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein Jeans etc. at 30-70% discount.
What are the best things to do in Amsterdam at night?
1. Stroll around the well-lit city: Amsterdam is quite beautiful at night and the romantic street lights add up to the magical vibe of the landscape. The cobblestoned streets are installed with innovative lights all along the canals and streets which makes a walk there one of the best things to do in Amsterdam at night.
2. Attend ‘Concertgebouw’: This is one of the famous attractions of Amsterdam which should be visited to enjoy its exceptional acoustics. This is one of the most promising things to do in Amsterdam for music lovers who look forward to enjoying a night of top-quality performances.
3. Tap your feet at the nightclubs: For the party animals, Amsterdam offers many venues where you can enjoy EDM music to dance your hearts out. These bars and nightclubs are an amazing way to spend the night, make new friends and enjoy the music played by top DJs.
4. Enjoy some live music: There are many music venues in Amsterdam where you can find an upcoming band enthralling you with their brilliant music. One of the popular venues for enjoying live music is Melkweg and Paradiso where you can find concert halls along with a café, cinema, photography gallery and theatre.
5. Enjoy the night views from A’DAM Tower: This is one of the highest bars in Amsterdam which offer the most panoramic views of the city at night. If you are wondering what to do at night in this beautiful city, then grabbing a cocktail and watching the sparkling landscape of Amsterdam is one of the most recommended activities for the tourists.
6. Have a thrilling time at Red Light District: One of the best things to do in Amsterdam at night, visiting the Red Light is a must for those who thrive on curiosity. This place is lit with neon lights of different colors and one can see the ladies who ply their trade in this notorious district. This place buzzes with a vibe like it’s a carnival and boasts of many bars, clubs and adult themed shops.
Which are the famous canals of Amsterdam?
1. Herengracht (Gentlemen's Canal)
One of the popular canals, this was one of the most influential places since the 17th century since the most elite population of Amsterdam lived here. The canal also boasts of having the official residence of the mayor of Amsterdam.
2. Keizersgracht (Emperor's canal)
Among the three main canals, the Emperor’s canal is the middle canal named after the emperor Maximillian of Austria. It is the widest canal between Herengracht and Prinsengracht and holds its fame till today. There is a children's playground and West India House which is located close to this canal.
3. Prinsengracht (Prince's canal)
It is one of the longest of the main canals and named after the Prince of Orange. The popular canal brings in a lot of visitors because of the tourist attractions located near it. This canal is located besides the city’s oldest cafes called Café Papeneiland and the Anne Frank House.
How can I reach Amsterdam?
There are many ways to reach Amsterdam as follows:
By Air: One can reach Amsterdam by air through the Schiphol International Airport which is connected to various cities of the world.
By Road: One can hail an international bus while travelling from any major city in Europe to reach Amsterdam via road. Tourists can also enjoy a road trip adventure by self driving on the state of the art highway network of Netherlands.
By Rail: Amsterdam enjoys nice rail connectivity to other cities in Europe and can be easily reached via train.
What is the best time to travel to Amsterdam?
The most favorable time to visit Amsterdam is from the month of April to May and then September to November. The weather is great during this time and well suited for the tourists to indulge in outdoor activities.
Why is Amsterdam famous for?
Amsterdam is known for its gorgeous canals and charming houses. It is notorious for its famous ‘coffee’ shops and Red Light District. The city has been known for its liberal attitude towards sex and drugs. Moreover, it’s a city known for its prevalent cycling culture and people who actually reside on boats.
What things are legal in Amsterdam?
The things that are legal in Amsterdam are:
1. Soft drugs: Under personal use include soft drugs such as cannabis in all its forms (weed, hashish, hash oil) and hallucinogenic mushrooms (so-called magic mushrooms) are legal in Amsterdam. However, some types of Cannabis and recreational mushrooms are still illegal. Smoking pot in public is also not prohibited in Amsterdam.
2. Prostitution: The country has also legalized prostitution since 2000 and the prostitutes are protected by the labor laws of the country and carry work permits.
What is famous to buy in Amsterdam?
The things to buy in Amsterdam are:
- Custom Clogs
- wooden shoes
- Dutch Licorice
- Puccini Chocolate Bonbons
- Nijntje Knuffel
- Blond Amsterdam Breakfast Set
- Pip Studio Bathrobe
- Guillotine Cheese Slicer
- Handmade Wallet
- Cowboys Belt
- Bicycle seat cover
- Birthday calendar
- G-star Jeans
- Custom Pendant Necklace
- Van Gogh Memory Game
- Local Dutch Bears
- Tea Blends
How expensive is Amsterdam?
Amsterdam is expensive to visit for any tourist as it costs about 100 USD/ 7600 INR per person a day. However, if you plan in advance and do your bookings prior to the travel, one can do a trip to Amsterdam by saving money. There are also many free things to do in Amsterdam which can be enjoyed to soak in an enthralling experience of the city.
What food is Amsterdam famous for?
The most famous dishes which you must try in Amsterdam are:
- Mint Tea
- Oorlog french fries
- Dutch Cheese
Is it safe to walk around Amsterdam at night?
Amsterdam is very safe to walk at night except a few areas that must be avoided. It is a modern cosmopolitan city with a low crime rate. However, the tourists should avoid walking in the Red Light District where the vagrants are spotted at night.
Do I need a passport to go to Amsterdam?
For anyone who doesn’t belong to any of the EU countries need a passport to go to Amsterdam.