Best Things to Do in SantoriniSpend an Action-Packed Beach Day at Red Beach, Experience a Thrilling Cable Car Ride, Party Like a Local at Enigma, Take a Historical Walk through Ancient Thera, Explore the Local Lifestyle at Pyrgos Village and many more.
When you think about what are the things to do in Santorini, then it is very obvious that you will be surprised by the opportunities in which you can indulge yourself in the lap of the pristine natural beauty and suitable climatic conditions.
If you are coming to Santorini on a holiday vacation then you would be able to marvel at the breathtaking sunset views with your loved ones, delight your taste buds with the authentic and exotic greek cuisines, sightsee at some of the famous archaeological sites of Akrotiri and Mesa Vouno, and not to forget wine tasting tours.
Apart from the sightseeing and adventure activities to do in Santorini, you will still have time to relax and rejuvenate your body and mind in the midst of peaceful settings and tranquil atmosphere.
You can head out to some wellness hubs and relish the charm of massages and therapeutic treatments. So, don’t worry about what to do in Santorini, as the place has got something or the other for all kinds of tourists like wanderlust travelers, adventure seeker groups, honeymoon couples, or family vacationers.
Things to Do in Santorini
People Also Ask About Santorini Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in Santorini?
1. Spend an Action-Packed Beach Day at Red Beach: Heading for an excursion to Red Beach is one of the most-loved things to do in Santorini among the beach lovers.
Featuring a spectacular backdrop of deep red volcanic rocks, this beach offers a treat to the eyes. While you are at Red Beach, you can go snorkeling or enjoy sunbathing on one of the many loungers set out by the plethora of beach pubs and taverns lined up here.
2. Experience a Thrilling Cable Car Ride: If you are an adventure fanatic, taking a cable car ride from Fira town to the Old Port can be one of the best adrenaline-fueled activities to do in Santorini for you.
You can find a cable car in every 20-minute frequency, which generally costs around 5 euros per head for each way. In the course of your ride, you can soak in the enchanting views of the picturesque valleys and cliffs and once you reach the Old Port you can enjoy souvenir shopping.
3. Party Like a Local at Enigma: Although this may take you by surprise, the island of Santorini surely has some great clubs to let you party through the night.
That said, Enigma is considered to be the best and the oldest nightclub on this Greek island, where you can shake your leg to some amazing music while sipping some delectable drinks. To let you experience partying all night with your friends, Enigma opens its gates at 11 PM and lets you party limitlessly until 8 AM.
4. Take a Historical Walk through Ancient Thera: If you’re a history buff wondering what to do in Santorini, pay a visit to Ancient Thera, an age-old city nestled in Mesa Vouno Mountain. While you take a historical stroll here, spot intriguing archaeological artefacts, and the 800-meter street.
The street is home to the main square, the gathering place called Agora, ancient temples, and houses. This long street ends at the mountain’s highest point where you will find the remnants of a stunning building. An exploration tour of Ancient Thera will offer you an insight into the lifestyle and tradition of the early inhabitants of Greece.
5. Relish a Santorini Salad: Although it is a matter of fact that while you are on this Greek island, relishing Greek food will be one of your most favorite things to do in Santorini, but always remember that the authentic Santorini Salad is a highlight you will never want to miss out on.
Considered to be a unique version of the traditional Greek salad, this recipe makes use of the popular ingredients of Santorini, such as cucumbers, capers, and sundried tomatoes. Salt & Pepper in the town of Fira is a popular destination for enjoying the authentic Santorini Salad.
6. Watch a Live Concert at La Ponta: One of the most entertaining activities to do in Santorini is to enjoy some time at wonderful La Ponta, located in the 13th-century Venetian Tower of the Akrotiri Castle.
On your visit to this place, you will witness an amazing collection of vintage Greek musical instruments exhibited in a splendid arrangement. You can also get to hear the amalgamation of the sounds of contemporary as well as ancient instruments by attending one of the concerts held here.
7. Explore the Local Lifestyle at Pyrgos Village: Take a leisurely stroll through the quaint Pyrgos Village and experience the amalgamation of spell-binding scenery, medieval charm, and blissful vibes.
This rustic village is nestled atop a beautiful hill packed with Cycladic houses, lush greenery, fortified walls, taverns, and labyrinths. While you are here, take a walk through the narrow streets, check out some of the bustling local stores, and participate in the happy chatters at one of the cafes and bars.
8. Taste the Donkey Beer: If your idea of chilling out involves some good beer, then relishing the delectable locally brewed Donkey beer will definitely be one of the most recommended things to do in Santorini for you.
Prepared by the popular local brand Santorini Brewing Company, this traditional beer is available in almost all the famous restaurants and cafes on the island. You can also choose to visit the brewery directly and taste their three types of Donkey beer, including Crazy Donkey, Yellow Donkey, and Red Donkey.
9. Go for a Fish Pedicure at Fira: If you are in Fira, pay a visit to Fish Spa Kangal Wellness Center for a tranquil fish pedicure. Put your feet inside the water tank and experience the Garra Rufa fish suck away all the dirt and dead skin gently to leave your toes clean and smooth.
Although this treatment was initially surfaced for helping people suffering from dermatological conditions like eczema, yet it can even be opted by individuals seeking a good pedicure.
What are the romantic things to do in Santorini?
1. Enjoy a Helicopter Ride over the Island: Known as one of the most-loved things to do in Santorini among couples, taking a helicopter ride over this picturesque island doesn’t only raise your adrenaline levels, but also lets you soak in spectacular views of colourful villages and breathtaking volcanoes.
2. Watch a Night Movie at the Open Air Cinema Kamari: If you are wondering what to do in Santorini with your beloved at night, head to Open Air Cinema Kamari to lie down and enjoy a beautiful cinema under the starry night sky. Before the film starts, you can get yourself some ice creams, wine, beer, or cocktails to munch on while gazing at the screen.
3. Take a Wine Tasting Tour at Santo Wines: Go on a romantic wine tasting tour to Santo Wines with your sweetheart and relish some exotic wines with barley rusks and cheese. While you sip your drink, bask in the spellbinding views of the azure sea.
4. Relish a Seaside Dinner at The Caldera Restaurant: Take your sweetheart out for an intimate romantic dinner to The Caldera Restaurant. While you savour the delectable food here, let the breathtaking views of the volcano, the sea, and the sunset ignite love between you both.
What are the best adventure activities to do in Santorini?
1. Take an ATV tour of the Island: If you want to explore the picturesque island of Santorini in a more adventurous way, take an ATV and go tour the place. An ATV tour will let you discover the island at your own freedom and also help you access the places that cannot be visited in a local bus.
2. Experience Cliff Jumping at Amoudi Bay: One of the most daredevil things to do in Santorini is jumping off from the rugged cliffs at Amoudi Bay into the clear serene waters. Making for one of the free adventurous activities to do in Santorini, cliff jumping lets you enjoy a rejuvenating swim after a thrilling jump.
3. Hike Nea Kameni’s Active Volcano: Take a volcano boat tour, starting from the old port to reach the beautiful Nea Kameni island. One you are here, hike your way to the stunning active craters to soak in some exotic views awaiting you.
4. Trek from Fira to Oia: Making for one of the most thrilling yet soothing activities to do in Santorini, trekking from Fira to Oia lets you soak in incredibly beautiful views throughout the trail. Suitable for friends and couples, this trekking tour demands a camera more than anything!
Which are the best cruise tours in Santorini?
1. Private Catamaran Cruise: Ideal for small groups and luxury honeymoons, this cruising tour involves amazing private cruises and offers delicious food and great flexibility on the things you want to see and the places you want to sail to.
2. Small Group Caldera Cruise: Known for its courteous staff and great food, this cruising tour offers you the chance to sunbathe, snorkel, swim, and of course enjoy some exotic drinks.
3. Small Group Sunset Cruise: Starting from the cliffs in Caldera, this cruise tour departs at 3.15 PM and lets you visit some beaches for snorkeling and swimming, swim in hot water springs, relish a scrumptious lunch, and enjoy the sunset.
Which are the famous vineyards for wine tours in Santorini?
1. Vassaltis Vineyards: If you’re a wine lover wondering what to do in Santorini, head to Vassaltis Vineyards for a laidback and modern wine tasting tour. Open between April and October, this vineyard specializes in exotic red grape varieties of mandilaria and mavrotragano and white grapes of arthri, assyrtiko, and aidani.
2. Domaine Sigalas: Known for its spectacular sunset views and award-winning wines, Domaine Sigalas offers a 2-hour vineyard, gastronomy, and wine tour with a 6-course seasonal menu.
3. Volcanic Slopes Vineyards: Volcanic Slopes Vineyards features a boutique winery and breathtaking vineyards and is known for its vintage wine label, Pure, which is made of Assyrtiko grapes.
Which are the best places for shopping in Santorini?
1. Epilekton: Selling old maps, vintage books, postcards, and ancient coins, Epilekton is an amazing place to get rustic treasures from across the globe, at bargainable rates.
2. La Boheme Santorini: Lying in the seaside town of Kamari, La Boheme is a stylish store selling an amalgamated collection of modern and rustic decorative items, handmade jewelry, and bags.
3. Thiras Art Gallery: Established by art restoration expert Marilena Sgountzou and painter Ilias Vlavianos, Thiras Art Gallery deals in handmade jewelry and paintings crafted by the owners of the gallery.
4. Ammos Stores: Having its boutiques in Kamari and Fira Ammos Stores sells an impressive fashion collection from Greek as well as international designers, including Athina Klo, Dsquared, Missoni, and American Vintage.
Which are the famous beaches to visit in Santorini?
1. White Beach: Surrounded by spectacular white cliffs, White Beach is a calm and peaceful paradise. While you are here, go for a swim in the cool waters or lie down on one of the sunbeds.
2. Kamari Beach: Lying in Kamari village, this award-winning beach features crystal clear waters, comfortable sunbeds, and a clean beachfront. This beach forms a great spot to enjoy water activities like paddle boarding, snorkeling, and windsurfing.
3. Eros Beach: Lying on Santorini’s southern side, Eros is a secluded beach, encircled by mesmerizing naturally carved cliffs. The pebble-clad shore of the beach is dotted with trendy bars that offer flavoursome Greek coffee and cocktails.
How to reach Santorini?
The best way to reach Santorini would be by taking a flight from your city to Athens. You need to cover the rest distance by a ferry or a connecting flight to Santorini.
Tourists usually choose to reach Santorini by ferries as this is a once in a lifetime to cruise through the azure blue waters. Some of the popular flight operators to Santorini are British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Condor, easyJet, and many more.
What is the best time to visit Santorini?
The most ideal time for visiting Santorini is during the summer months of June to September.
1. Peak Season (June to September): During this time of the year, you can enjoy all the fun-filled beach things to do in Santorini, such as swimming and kayaking. You can also enjoy winery tours and hiking during these warm months.
2. Shoulder Season (March to May and October to November): Spring and Fall seasons make for the shoulder seasons in Santorini, when the weather is pleasant and the place is less crowded.
Although this is a great time to experience Santorini without the bustle and chaos, many resorts and restaurants remain closed towards November because of the lowering temperature.
3. Low Season (December to February): The winter months are an offseason in Santorini as the extremely low temperatures and cold weather conditions during this time make outdoor activities difficult for the tourists.
What language is spoken in Santorini?
Since Santorini is an island in the country of Greece, Greek is considered to be the official language of this place. While 99 percent of the total population of Santorini converse in Greek, English is also used as the second language here mainly for business communications.
What is Santorini known for?
Santorini is truly an exceptional place that is widely popular for its unique places, traditional villages, pristine coastlines, and wineries. Tourists come over to this place to sight some of the dramatic views, stunning sunsets, and active volcanoes.
How much money do you need for a week in Santorini?
In general, the average amount of money a person will need per day in Santorini is around 109 euros (INR 9,634), which includes the cost of meals, local transportation, and accommodation. That said, a week’s trip to the island will cost you around 762 euros (INR 67,347).
Should I stay in Oia or Fira?
While Fira is a busy town packed with hotels, restaurants, shops, and nightclubs, Oia is a bit calmer town known for its excellent sunset views.
So, if you want an action-packed holiday with good nightlife, you should stay in Fira, but if you are seeking a calmer place to shop, dine, and laze around, Oia is the perfect pick for you.
How many days do I need in Santorini?
You need a minimum of 2 days to enjoy all the popular things to do in Santorini.
Day 1: On this day, you will head for a full-day sightseeing tour of the island, covering popular towns, including Thira, Emborio, Imerovigli, and Oia.
- In the late afternoon, you will experience a wine tasting tour at Santo Wines followed by sunset watching at Akrotiri Lighthouse.
Day 2: You will start this day with a hiking tour from Fira to Oia.
- Later, in the evening, you will take a Catamaran Cruise and head to soak in the enchanting sunset views.