About Dubai CreekNestling in the heart of Dubai is a saltwater creek called Dubai Creek. Being one of the best places to visit in Dubai it greets thousands of onlookers daily. Those who have marked their presence here were successful in discovering both the traditional and modern culture of Dubai.
Today, the Dubai Creek is under a massive expansion project which will loop its water to flow through the city and make its way to the Gulf in Jumeirah. The main Dubai Creek’s site and all its subordinate attractions are still preserved in their natural state.
This mighty creek divides the iconic city of Dubai into two halves – Bur Dubai which lies to the southwest portion is a traditional hub of the town. Middle-eastern style of architecture embraces the conventional look of this place. Although simple in its appearance, you can witness the charm of Dubai’s ancient cultural ethics.
As you head towards the north-east direction from Dubai Creek, you will see Deira Dubai. This region is recognized to be highly sophisticated with all the modern flavours. A glittering skyline adds-on more spark to the luxuriousness of this city. Many things to do in Dubai at night are present in this region.
Back to the history of this Dubai Creek, it played an essential role in establishing pride of Dubai. Dubai Creek was mean to trade with both India and Africa. Nowadays, exploring Dubai creek is facilitated either through the means of abra or a water taxi. Both these ways are cost-efficient to sail from one end of the creek to the other. For this purpose, you can witness many small motorized boats run by locals sprawling all around.
To reap the best from your visit to the Dubai Creek, book for a seat on the traditional dhow which provides day and night cruise service. As you slowly glide down the waterway, you can capture some glittering views of the magnificent skyline that stretches apart. When it's daytime, the skyline seems to reflect all the sun’s rays.
On the other hand, during the night, you could see it illuminating in the sparkling night lights. To make your cruising experience more endearing one, try on the meal served on board. If you feel that’s enough, then you are probably missing on the paved walkways running alongside the Dubai Creek.
All the abras, yachts and dhows criss-cross the glittering waterlines of Dubai Creek. When it darkens out there, do not forget to capture the well-lit Promenade which soothes you as you enjoy your evening stroll.
Ras al Khor bird Sanctuary is the endpoint of this mighty Dubai Creek which stretches across a land cover of 620 hectares. There are wetlands, pools, mud flats, and lagoons to capture and collate in your Dubai Creek diaries.
Honeymoon Special - Best Honeymoon Packages of Dubai
How to Reach Dubai Creek
You won't be finding any direct connection between Dubai Creek and Airport. To travel to Dubai Creek, you should ride a Metro from the Airport, which will take you to the Deira City Centre. Once you reach Deira City Centre, walk towards City Centre Metro Bus Stop A. From here, ride a Line 53 bus to drop you at Maktoum Road. Dubai Creek is at a walkable distance from Maktoum Road. Alternatively, you can hire a taxi or Uber Dubai to drop you at Dubai Creek.
Also, Check: Private Pickup from Dubai Airport
Suggested Read: Things to do in Dubai Airport
Best Time to Visit Dubai Creek
Although you can schedule your Dubai Creek visit at any point of time throughout the 365 days in the year, it is good to be here in winters. Winters in Dubai are pleasant and enjoyable, making it the best season for enjoying all water activities. Plan your Dubai Creek trip anywhere in between November to March.
Also Check: Best Time to Visit Dubai
What Not to Miss at Dubai Creek
Places to visit near Dubai Creek are as cool as the Dubai Creek itself. Right from Al Seef Dubai to museums and traditional souks, Dubai Creek’s surrounding has got it all. Here are some of the essential places to visit near Dubai Creek:
1. Museum of Illusions Dubai - Be prepared for a mind-bending optical illusion at Museum of Illusion in Dubai. It is one of the best museums in Dubai. Ames room here will leave you speechless by either shrinking or growing you in size. It all depends on where you stand.
2. SOL Sky Bar - Enjoy some handcraft cocktails from the SOL Sky Bar while you stand on the sides of the neighbouring swimming pool. With a glass full of cocktail in your hand, gaze at the illumination of the Dubai Skyline from the rooftop of this SOL Sky Bar.
3. Al Seef Dubai Creek Carnival - Al Seef Dubai Carnival happens every week wherein you shall be spending quality time at the waterfront market. There’s live music, carnival games, musical nights, candy flosses, magic shows, and street music to enjoy all night.
4. Do not miss on the new foodie hotspots - There are many great restaurants in Dubai for food lovers. No matter whether your heart craves for a cup of Chai or a tossed pizza, you’ll get it all here at the foodie hotspots near Dubai Creek. To list a few of the popular ones are Vanelli’s, Kava & Chai, Kona Grill, and Silver Beach Café.
5. A day at Souks - Are you fond of shopping some spices for your home or gold or perfumes for your loved ones? Dubai souks are must to be on your priority list then. Plan your visit to perfume souk or spice souk or gold souk and shop as long as you want.
6. Biking at Al Seef Dubai – Rent a bike from Zabeel House and go for a ride through the sides of Dubai Creek. Make sure that are aware of the common driving regulations, and you strictly adhere to it.
Popular Reads - Best Of Dubai Nightlife for Night Owls
Things to Do in Dubai Creek
Emirates would consider Dubai Creek as a hub for all their activities. This place is filled with the best things to do in Dubai. The calm and serene looking Dubai Creek even today offers a plethora of activities to entertain everyone. Here are some of them:
1. Al Fahidi Fort: If history is something that engages you for great and pleasing entertainment, do not miss on including AL Fahidi Fort in your Dubai Creek itinerary. There’s a 1787- built-in museum – Dubai Museum, Al Bastakiya District and the Heritage Village to call for your immediate attention. The uniqueness of this place is that it is one of the oldest buildings in the city.
2. Ride A Cable Car: No sooner you come near to the Dubai Creek, you can witness the charm of a cable car suspended from a distance of 30 meters from the ground. Travelling through a cable car gives you one of the best views of the 14km stretched Dubai Creek. One trip of cable car shall last for about an hour.
3. Go Cruising: If the slow rippling sound of Dubai Creek is the one to soothe you at its best, aboard a cruise to sail through its tides. In case you have some more time to spare, do go for a ride through a water taxi or a wooden dhow; you’ll feel better.
4. Dubai Dolphinarium: There’s an aquarium besides Dubai Creek which is wholly dedicated to bottlenose dolphins called Dubai Dolphinarium. In case you get a chance to visit here, do not miss this exciting opportunity to click uncountable selfies with them. Even marine animals do feel for you!
5. Simply stroll: If nothing works well for you, you always have the chance to walk down the lane. Whether you are aware or not, but the Dhow Wharfage region of Dubai Creek stands as one of the most enjoyable walking zones for thousands of visitors. Many popular markets in Dubai are present here.
6. Spice Shopping: For those who want to carry something back as a memory of Dubai Creek, should go for a spice shopping. There’s a spice market besides wherein you can find a plethora of exotic spices and herbs for your kitchen. For shopaholics, there are a lot of options for shopping in Dubai
7. Street shows: Since decades, the street shows of Dubai Creek have been one of the most popular attractions. Many live shows, music, plays, and fireworks exhibition have been organized here for the real entertainment of all the visitors. If you get a chance to be here in Dubai during Dubai shopping festival; visit here once. The streets of The Al Seef, Al Rigga, and Al Muraqabat are all illuminated with many small twinkling lights.
Popular Reads: Best Places to Visit Dubai with Family
Other Essential Information About Dubai Creek
Location: Dubai Creek, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Timings: There are no time restrictions for visiting Dubai Creek. Also, you can enjoy your motorized abras ride for 24 hours from Sabkha Abra Station. If your boarding point is Deira Old Souk Abra Station, you have been there between 05:00 am in the morning till midnight.
Price (for locals and for foreigners): There are no entry fees for children to enjoy at Dubai Creek. However, for adults, the entry fee cost is around 5 Arab Emirates Dirham.
Holiday Special - Best Dubai Tour Packages
Dhow Dinner Cruise Experience at Dubai Creek
To enjoy riding in Dhow Cruises, you either need to head towards Dubai Marina or Dubai Creek. Your Dhow Dinner Cruise tour at the Dubai Creek shall begin at one of its piers where you shall be welcomed with coffee, snacks, and dates.
Some cruise operators do have assistance for both pick-up and drop facilities for the ease of their visitors. All your Dhows are fully air-conditioned and are enveloped by glass walls.
As you seat on the dinner table to enjoy your dinner, you can simply peep out through the glass panes to enjoy the beauty of this iconic city. The moment you feel boredom, climb up the staircase which directs you to an open deck where you can breathe in some quality air.
There are myriads of sightseeing opportunities as your cruise begins to sail over the waters of Dubai Creek. Traditional Spice and Gold Souks, Sheraton Dubai Creek, Old Boat Fort, Heritage Village, National Bank of Dubai, Grand Mosque and Rolex Twin Towers are some of them.
Dinners stand exceptional when you ride a Dubai Creek as the staff on the Cruise organizes for a multi-cuisine international buffet style dinner. You are simply going to lose yourself in the dinner being served onboard as it’s the best global 3-course buffet complying 5-star standards.
A few hours spent on Dubai Creek will be memorable. To keep the momentum on for you, there will be live performances from the best local artists throughout your dinner time. Belly dance, magic shows, puppet shows, and Tanoura are some of them.
Dhow Cruise is a sure one of the best romantic things to do in Dubai. Occasionally you can avail a couple of discounts or offers to make your trip a cost affordable one.
Dhow cruises at Dubai Creek depart after every one hour from 10:30 am to 05:30 pm. Your ticket shall be inclusive of sightseeing activities, mineral water, soft drinks, audio commentaries, and hotel transfers (subject to change as per service provider).
Tips for Visiting Dubai Creek
- You can enjoy a dinner cruise, skydiving activity, golf games, and souk shopping all at the 14km long Dubai Creek.
- Fishing is one of the best sports which entertains locals of this region.
- There are water taxis or abras to transfer you back and forth between various points.
- You are allowed to take selfies with dolphins at the Dubai Dolphinarium.