About Dubai Aquarium and Underwater ZooDubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, one of the awe-inspiring man-made wonders comprises of 3 sections that present a captivating sight to the visitors interested in exploring the unrestrained aquatic life in Dubai
1. Aquarium Tank: Dubai Aquarium is a gargantuan 10-million litre tank located on the ground floor of the Dubai Mall. One of the largest suspended aquariums admeasuring 51 meters long, 20 meters deep, and 11 meters high houses 140 species of thousands of exciting marine animals amidst artificial coral. 33,000 vibrant marine creatures including 400 sharks and rays, large sea bass, and shoals of oceanic fish that habitat the aquarium enthuse the kids and adults alike. The tank is known for its largest collection of Sand Tiger sharks in the world. The public can view the aquarium through the world’s largest acrylic panel for free from the Mall.
2. Aquarium Tunnel: Located on the ground floor of the Dubai Mall, the 48-meter walk-through tunnel takes the visitors on a fascinating journey of marine life. It offers a 270-degree view of the aquarium from 11 meters below the surface of the tank and presents visitors an option to capture aquatic life through their camera lens.
3. Underwater Zoo: Underwater Zoo, situated above the tank on level two is segregated into 3 ecological zones – Rainforest, Rocky Shore, and Living Ocean. The 40 individual display tanks bring visitors face to face with an astounding range of aquatic creatures that inhabit both rivers and oceans. Be bedazzled by a menagerie of exotic and weird critters such as Piranhas, African dwarf crocodiles, Lionfish, Sea horses, Archerfish, Nautilus, Water rats, Cichlids, etc.
A cynosure of Underwater Zoo is 5.1m long Australian saltwater lake crocodile names King Croc. The monstrous reptile that 40 yrs old and weighs 750kg, sends shivers down the spine of the visitors. Snakes, lizards, Giant Spider Crabs, and other nocturnal desert denizens of UAE such as an Arabian toad, and veiled chameleons also inhabit the Underwater Zoo.
The ‘lunar-cyclic’ lighting system that changes the ambiance of the tank based on the time of the day mesmerizes the visitors.
Explore: 55 Best Tourist Places to Visit in Dubai
Location: Ground floor, Dubai Mall, Doha Street, Off 1st Interchange - Sheikh Zayed Road, Downtown Dubai, UAE
Timings: Daily (7 days a week) - 10:00 A.M. – 12 Midnight
Junior Aquarist Programme – Sunday to Thursday (2:00 – 5:00 P.M)
Senior Aquarist Programme – Sunday to Thursday (1 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.)
Price: Basic Pass: For per Adult - 1150 INR
For per Child - 1150 INR
Explorer Pass: For per Adult - 3350 INR
For per Child - 3100 INR
Suggested reads: 55 Best Things to Do in Dubai
Places to visit near Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
1. Dubai Ice Rink: An Olympic sized rink that holds public skate sessions, ice-hockey matches, offers group as well as private coaching lessons in the day time and rocking disco session at night every week is a favorite destination for both residents and tourists. The rink has 300 spectator seats, Penguin Pal skating store, and lockers with cafes, restaurants, and shopping malls in close proximity. It also caters to birthday parties and arranges special events like foam parties and ladies-only skate sessions.
2. KidZania Dubai: An interactive and edutainment theme park that prepares today’s kids’ to don the role of adults in a facsimile version of real city to learn real-life skills through 60 different activities/jobs and make an earning. The replicate city is replete with edifices, offices, vehicles, restaurants, factories, entertainment houses, etc all owned and run by prestigious companies. To buy your tickets to Kidzania Click Here!
3. Dubai Fountain: Dubai Fountain is one of the world’s best-designed fountain systems engineered on 30-acre artificial Burj-Khalifa Lake. The 275 m long fountain shoots water up to 152.4 meters in different combinations and patterns. It is illuminated by 6600 lights and 50 colored projectors. The fountain’s shows or performances accompanied by light, colors, and range of classical and contemporary Arabic and World music enthrall the visitors.
4 VR Park: Visitors are treated to a mind-boggling experience at VR Park, where real and virtual worlds overlap courtesy 18 interactive rides, games and journeys implemented through Augmented and Virtual reality technology. 75,000 sq. ft, two-level indoor theme park spans horror, adventure, and mythological genre-based activities to give an unprecedented experience to visitors of all ages and proclivities. Buy your tickets to have a fun-filled day at VR Park at Flat 33% Off.
5. Burj Khalifa: The icon of Dubai’s service and tourism industry, Burj Khalifa is an 828 m high skyscraper with 163 inhabitable floors. Designed in the Islamic architectural style of the Great Mosque of Samarra, Burj Khalifa houses 30,000 homes, 9 hotels, 490-acre of parkland, 19 residential edifices and 30-acre man-made Burj Khalifa Lake. Enjoy Flat 15% at Burj Khalifa with Underwater Zoo and Dubai Aquarium.
6. Hub Zero: A haven or dream destination for gaming freaks, both kids and seasoned adults, Hub Zero blurs the line between real and virtual worlds through its fully interactive gaming experience. Collaborated by the 5 gaming giants, Hub Zero spans basic gaming machines like Pac-Man and Old-school pinball to advanced virtual reality games that leave people stuck-up to the machines. Enjoy Flat 25% Off on your tickets to Hub Zero.
7. Fun City- Kids Play Area: An indoor fun city that offers multiple forms of entertainment to kids and families with activities ranging from thrilling kiddie rides, skilled games (Fun N Learn), Big rides, Soft play zone, Air Racer, Bumper cars, Video games, etc.
8. Ski Dubai: An indoor ski resort with 22,500 sq. m of skiing area featuring an indoor mountain equivalent in height to 25 storeyed building, 5 slopes of varying gradient and complexity, first indoor black-diamond run and various other features. 3,000 sq. m. snow park play area consisting of sledge and toboggan runs, body slide, climbing towers, massive snowballs, ice cave and an encounter with penguins are some of the other highlights of Ski Dubai. Get Flat 10% Off on your Ski Dubai Tickets.
Check out: 40 Best Places to Visit in Dubai with Kids
THings to do in Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
1. Shark Feeding Encounter: Watch the spine-chilling and awe-inspiring shark feeding by experienced divers from the safety of your enclosed diving cage. The close encounter of witnessing the primitive predator gorge buckets of fish from close quarters along with a tour of back-house facilities such as shark breeding program and feeding shark babies will engulf you in a range of emotions and unforgettable memories.
2. Shark Dives: Those with a strong heart and raging adrenalin can choose to dive and swim with 750 kg of lean mass and 300 razor-toothed Sand Tiger Sharks in a 10 million litre tank and can tell stories about your valour.
3. Cage Snorkelling: Visitors who want to experience the excitement, but afraid to dive inside, can don the snorkeling outfit and watch over 70 different aquatic types including 300 sharks and rays from the safety of their cage immersed in the Aquarium tank.
4. Scuba Diving: Ever dreamt of giving scuba diving a try? Well. Dubai Aquarium now offers you a chance to learn the skills and guidelines from an expert diver in the confines of a cage before venturing out into the 10 million litre tank. Fulfill your dream of becoming a certified diver through the PADI Open water diver course in 2 days. Book your Scuba Diving tour here at Flat 10% Off.
5. Shark Walker: Shark walker provides you a new experience of witnessing the amazing aquatic life from close range, without even getting your hair wet, by putting on a customized helmet equipped to help you breathe comfortably underwater.
6. Underwater Zoo Experiences: Brace for the experience of a lifetime as you chance upon the King Croc, a 5 m long, 750 kg aggressive saltwater reptile with 60 pearly white razor teeth and 3700 pounds psi deadly bite force, habituating in a natural environment. Discover and learn how UAE’s night creatures, an assortment of Arabian wildlife such as Arabian Toads, Fruit Bats, Giant Camel Spiders, Scorpions, Veiled Chameleons, etc thrive in the Rocky Mountains and sand dunes of the desert.
7. VRZoo Experience: Swim along the side of monstrous whale sharks in the clear waters of the Maldives, join the elephants on a trek through South Africa’s savannah lands, and meet the family of gorillas in the thick impregnable forests of Uganda, without a threat to your life, through virtual reality game VRZoo.
8. Adventure Aquarist: The two fun-packed adventurous packages ‘Junior & Senior Aquarist’ takes children on a behind-the-scenes tour and much more and unveils whether they have the makings of Marine Biologist.
9. Ray Feeding & Shark Feeding: Watch the divers feed the rays and sharks in the 10 Million litre Aquarium.
10. Glass Bottom Boat Rides: Ride with your family & friends on the surface of the world’s biggest suspended 10 million litre aqua tank in a Glass-bottom-boat and enjoy the panoramic view of the 33,000 marine life including sharks, rays, and myriad beasties.
You may also like: 35 Best Extreme Adventures in Dubai
Best Time to Visit Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
Though Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo remains open for visitors throughout the year, the best time to visit Dubai is during the winter season between November and March. The weather during this period remains pleasant and suitable for all kinds of activities.
During this peak season, long queues will confront you at the check-in counters. If you happen to be at Dubai in summer, make sure to visit the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo in the afternoon to gain respite from the scorching heat. It bustles with crowds every day of the week and generally busiest between 5- 6 P.M. It is less crowded early in the morning and later in the evening.
Popular reads: 20 Best Beaches in Dubai
Tips for Visiting Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
- Children below the age of 3 yrs are allowed free entry.
- Children under 12 yrs of age need to be accompanied by a guardian or parents.
- Pregnant women and children aged 0-2 are not allowed in the Glass-bottom-boat and cage snorkeling.
- While visitors can watch the Dubai Aquarium from inside the Mall free, they can’t get to see all fish or get access to the 48-meter Tunnel or Underwater Zoo that houses land and amphibious creatures.
- The park offers a range of packages from which visitors can choose depending on their interests.
- Photography is allowed throughout the aquarium. At few places, notices are put requesting tourists not to use flash, as it may harm or alarm the animals.
- It is beneficial to buy tickets online and in advance as it will be cheaper.
- Visitors should report 10-30 minutes before the scheduled time of the activity.
- Tourists are requested to carry a valid ID for entering the Aquarium.
Know more: Best Dubai Tour Packages
How to reach Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo from Airport?
One can reach Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo from Airport by engaging a taxi for Rs. 850 -1100. The theme park located in Dubai Mall can easily be reached via public transport. The Red Line metro carries the visitors from the airport’s terminal to Dubai Mall metro station. Metro Link Bridge, an 828 m air-conditioned passage with 5 travelators can transport the visitors directly to Dubai Mall from the metro station.
Local buses too, ferry visitors from Dubai metro station to Dubai Mall. Alternatively, visitors can travel from the airport to Dubai Mall via buses 27 or 29 for a fare of Rs. 110 – 170 in 32 minutes.
Check out: 35 Best Dubai Nightlife Experiences
1. Do they provide a tour guide for the general public?
There is no guided tour for the general public without prior bookings. However, visitors can ask several educators, who are available throughout the park for clarifications.
Explore: Top 15 Dubai Markets
2. What is Shark Feeding Encounter at Dubai Aquarium?
Shark feeding encounter is an activity in which divers lure the shark with buckets full of fish. Visitors are taken underwater in a securely enclosed diving cage. They get to watch deadly predators’ feeding frenzy from close range. After an exhilarating 30 minutes of underwater adventure, visitors are offered a tour of the behind-the-scenes facilities which includes feeding the young sharks and shark breeding program.
3. Is it necessary to book in advance for Dubai Aquarium?
No. It is not necessary to book tickets in advance. One can book tickets online or stand in queue and buy from the check-in counter anytime.
You may also like: 50 Best Resorts in Dubai
4. What are the operating days and timing of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
Dubai Aquarium is open 7 days a week between 10:00 A.M. – 12 Midnight. Last Admission is allowed until -11:30 P.M.
5. Is it allowed to take pictures in the Dubai Aquarium?
Yes. Visitors are allowed to take pictures and videos throughout Dubai Aquarium. The park offers paid professional photography service for enthusiasts. Signages’ warning visitors not to use flash, lest it may harm or alarm animals are put up at specific places.
Suggested reads: 30 Amazing Places to Visit in Dubai at Night
6. What is unique about Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
The gargantuan aquarium tank measuring 51 x 20 x 11 m that holds 10 million litres of water, not by the seaside, but inside the Dubai Mall is quite an architectural feat. The collection of 30,000 aquatic animals comprising 140 different marine species including manta rays and Sand Tiger sharks is another highlight of this park. The prized catch of this Zoo is the gigantic deadly Australian saltwater predator “King Croc”. It has won many accolades and awards including Guinness World Record for the world’s “largest Acrylic Panel”.
7. How long does it take to go around the Dubai Aquarium?
Average time required for Aquarium Tunnel is 15-30 minutes. It takes 45- 90 minutes to visit and complete the rest of activities in Underwater Zoo. Glass Bottom boat ride lasts for 15-20 minutes. Your stay may prolong if you wish to watch presentations/shows. So plan accordingly and allot 2-3 hrs to go around Dubai Aquarium.
Check out: 10 Best Dessert Safaris in Dubai
8. How many aquatic species are there in Dubai Aquarium?
Aquarium Tank holds thousands of marine creatures belonging to 140 aquatic types, including 300 sharks and rays.
9. What is the length of the Aquarium Tunnel at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
The length of the Aquarium Tunnel at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is 48 meters.
Recommended reads: Top 30 Indian Restaurants in Dubai
10. Can I stay as long as I want at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
Yes. You are permitted to stay as long as you want at the Dubai Aquarium.
11. Is there a separate pass for kids?
No. There is no separate pass for kids.
Explore: 15 Best Dubai Museums
12. Is there any age limit to enter the place?
No. There is no restriction on the age limit to enter the place. However, some specific activities require certain age and physical requirements to gain access.
13. Can I take outside food inside?
No. Visitors are not allowed to bring in outside food and drinks into the premises.
You may also like: 20 Stunning Theme Parks in Dubai
14. What's the difference between Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
The aquarium is located on the ground level and houses only aquatic life. Underwater Zoo is situated right above on 2nd level of the Mall comprises both amphibious as well as land-based creatures.