A sleepy little village by the river, Kolad is fast rising as an adventure destination. A mere 113 kilometres away from the Pune, Kolad houses one of the fastest-flowing rivers in Western India—the resplendent Kundalika River. Originating in a small town called Bhira, it traverses many curves before draining into the Arabian Sea near a creek at Roha.
The river swells as the superfluous water from the hydroelectric plants at Bhira and Ravalje is released into it every morning. The resulting opportunity created for river rafting near Pune in Kolad is a treasured one and is open for adventure activities near Pune throughout the year.
A 14 kilometre stretch of the river is ridden with exhilarating rapids and is a blessing for those seeking to experience the rush of glazing over a few quickens. The presence of grade II to III rapids during summer make it ideal for beginners.
However, come monsoon, the rafting experience rises a notch above than usual with grade IV rapids providing the ultimate blitz of adrenaline.
As rafting in the Kundalika River is dependent on the outflow from the nearby Mulshi Dam, it is usually started at around 8.15 A.M. and being there on schedule becomes paramount. The best months to visit are from June to October.
The hilly and rocky terrain of Kolad offers many activities in Pune like waterfall rappelling, parasailing and kayaking. The weather is fairly pleasant throughout the year, and the air can be a touch nippy in the evenings. A couple of forts, lakes and a waterfall add to the magic of Kolad and can be reached from both Pune and Mumbai to the only whitewater rafting destination in Maharashtra.
Suggested read: Adventure Resorts near Pune.
Following the Western Ghats trails southwards, the virgin forests get thicker at Dandeli in Karnataka. A speck under 440 kilometers away from Pune, Dandeli is an overnight journey away into one of the most stirring water rafting experiences around.
Kali is one of the many pristine rivers that take birth in the Western Ghats, and a certain 13-kilometre stretch is filled with bewitching rapids. One of the only two places offering whitewater river rafting in Pune, adventure enthusiasts swear by the stirring experience.
Treks, cycling, kayaking, canoeing, and nature walks spotting crocodiles are a few many things you can indulge in during your stay at Dandeli. The months from October to June are tailor-made for some serious white water rafting, even as rapids up to grade IV and V take you on an aquatic roller-coaster ride!
Well-connected by road, the nearest railheads are Londa, Dharwad, and Hubli; while Goa airport which is 125 kilometers away is the nearest airport. So, if you’re craving for an experience that’ll remain etched for long, choose one of these two picks for the best river rafting near Pune.
Must Read: Places to visit near Pune within 200 km
Activity Location: Kolad, Maharashtra
Check-in Time: 03:00 PM
Check-out Time: 03:00 PM
About the Kundalika River Rafting Camp:
The Kundalika rafting camp is ideal for everyone looking for excitement in the middle of nature's lush retreats! It is the favoured hub for all adventure addicts, being only a couple of hours' drive from Mumbai. Encourage yourself by participating in a variety of activities at the campsite. There are comfortable tents available, with two or three shared bases to select from. Relax and enjoy this ideal escape away from the monotony of daily life.
About the Activity:
- Brace yourselves for some serious 2-hour white water rafting experience in the Vaitarna River!
- The dam-controlled river offers enthralling rapids tailored for a nerve-chilling experience as you raft through the rocky gorges.
- Dive down the cliff and show off your moves, or revel in the Jeep safari and swimming in the beautiful Vaitarna River.
- Engage yourselves in a variety of optional activities such as rappelling and valley crossing, and beat the heat with a waterfall in the vicinity.
- The activity can be availed at 09:00 AM and 02:15 PM.
About the Activity:
- The most exciting of water adventures awaits you at Kolad, situated over the Kundalika River, just about 121 Km from Mumbai. Flowing over the mountains of the Sahyadris, it indeed makes up for a stunning getaway adventure!
- Post your arrival at the rafting campsite at around 08:30AM, you will be briefed about the dos and don’ts of water sports in Kolad. Post this, by 09:00 in the morning, get you rafting gears, hop into the enthralling waters of Kundalika.
- Employ your adventure spirit and witness the rapids crushing against the raft and increasing the thrill of the day. Continue On completion of this vigorous journey, return to the campsite by around 02:00 PM for a delicious lunch.
- Post lunch, you can also embark on various other adventures such as kayaking, jet skiing and dart games.
- After such an exciting day beside the Kundalika River and adventures like river rafting in Kolad, check-out from the campsite around 06:00 PM.
About the Activity
The White Water River Rafting activity at Mutha River lets you gain an enthralling experience of traveling 7 km and experience rafting over exciting rapids through a beautiful jungle. On spending 3 hours base to base containing 2 hours of river experience, you get to capture thrilling memories for an entire lifetime. With Grade 2+ water action (advanced), guided by experienced and trained professionals, you are sure to grab some great memories for the lifetime.
How to Reach
The location is based at the Kharawade Village, Mulshi locality in Pune and can be reached through convenient public and private transportation.
Duration: 2 Hours
Minimum age Required for River Rafting: 12 years
River Rafting is a high-risk adventure activity, it is important to inform us about any health issue before you enroll.
Situated at only a short drive from Mumbai, it is the favourite hotspot for anyone enthusiastic to escape the crowds of the city.
Witness the rush of energizing rapids, get invigorated by the shower of cooling water, and let out the skill in you!
Enjoy an escape of a lifetime at the stunning Kundalika River and revel in the union with nature!
Covering a large stretch of 14km, river rafting near Pune will take you around 3.5 hours to complete. Get exhilarated by the jaw-dropping, exciting rapids and challenge yourself to an adventure unlike any other!