A sleepy little village by the river, Kolad is fast rising as an adventure destination. A mere 113 kilometres away from the Pune, Kolad houses one of the fastest-flowing rivers in Western India—the resplendent Kundalika River. Originating in a small town called Bhira, it traverses many curves before draining into the Arabian Sea near a creek at Roha.
The river swells as the superfluous water from the hydroelectric plants at Bhira and Ravalje is released into it every morning. The resulting opportunity created for river rafting near Pune in Kolad is a treasured one and is open for adventure activities near Pune throughout the year.
A 14 kilometre stretch of the river is ridden with exhilarating rapids and is a blessing for those seeking to experience the rush of glazing over a few quickens. The presence of grade II to III rapids during summer make it ideal for beginners.
However, come monsoon, the rafting experience rises a notch above than usual with grade IV rapids providing the ultimate blitz of adrenaline.
As rafting in the Kundalika River is dependent on the outflow from the nearby Mulshi Dam, it is usually started at around 8.15 A.M. and being there on schedule becomes paramount. The best months to visit are from June to October.
The hilly and rocky terrain of Kolad offers many activities in Pune like waterfall rappelling, parasailing and kayaking. The weather is fairly pleasant throughout the year, and the air can be a touch nippy in the evenings. A couple of forts, lakes and a waterfall add to the magic of Kolad and can be reached from both Pune and Mumbai to the only whitewater rafting destination in Maharashtra.
White Water Rafting in Dandeli
Following the Western Ghats trails southwards, the virgin forests get thicker at Dandeli in Karnataka. A speck under 440 kilometres away from Pune, Dandeli is an overnight journey away into one of the most stirring water rafting experiences around.
Kali is one of the many pristine rivers that take birth in the Western Ghats, and a certain 13-kilometre stretch is filled with bewitching rapids. One of the only two places offering whitewater river rafting near Pune, adventure enthusiasts swear by the stirring experience.
Treks, cycling, kayaking, canoeing and nature walks spotting crocodiles are a few many things you can indulge in during your stay at Dandeli. The months from October to June are tailor-made for some serious white water rafting, even as rapids up to grade IV and V take you on an aquatic roller-coaster ride!
Well-connected by road, the nearest railheads are Londa, Dharwad and Hubli; while Goa airport which is 125 kilometres away is the nearest airport. So, if you’re craving for an experience that’ll remain etched for long, choose one of these two picks for river rafting near Pune.
Must read: Places to visit near Pune within 200 km
About the Kundalika Activity & Campsite:
- The Kundalika rafting camp is the perfect choice for anyone looking to indulge in adventure in the green escapes of nature! Located at just a couple of hour's drive from Mumbai, it is the preferred hotspot for all those eager to escape the mad rush of the city.
- The Kundalika rafting camp gives you a rare opportunity to engage yourself in a multitude of adventure activities in the engaging company of nature. As you take a quiet drive down to the campsite, you can check-in and indulge in the beauty of nature while munching on some yummy snacks and refreshing tea. Fortify yourself and embark on a vast range of activities like kayaking, jet ski, and archery!
- Get your tired but excited selves back to the campsite and relish a delicious dinner before calling it a night. The next day indulges in rafting and other activities post breakfast.
Note- Zipline, Banana ride and Bumper ride are available at an extra cost.
Kundalika Rafting With Meals
Rafting With Meals & Water Activities- Bumper Ride, Banana Ride, Jet Ski, Zipline, River Crossing, Kayaking
Tent, Cottages, and Domes are available at the campsite. You can choose between Tents on 2 sharing bases, Cottage on 6 sharing basis and Dome on 9 sharing bases.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner and in the evening, Tea and snacks will be served during the stay at the campsite.
How to reach:
Kolad is 120 km away from Mumbai and 145 km from Pune. You can easily reach here by public or private transport.
Check-in: 3:00 pm
Check-out: 3:00 pm
About the Activity:
- The most exciting of water adventures awaits you at Kolad, situated over the Kundalika River, just about 121 Km from Mumbai. Flowing over the mountains of the Sahyadris, it indeed makes up for a stunning getaway adventure!
- Post your arrival at the rafting campsite at around 08:30AM, you will be briefed about the dos and don’ts of water sports in Kolad. Post this, by 09:00 in the morning, get you rafting gears, hop into the enthralling waters of Kundalika.
- Employ your adventure spirit and witness the rapids crushing against the raft and increasing the thrill of the day. Continue On completion of this vigorous journey, return to the campsite by around 02:00 PM for a delicious lunch.
- Post lunch, you can also embark on various other adventures such as kayaking, jet skiing and dart games.
- After such an exciting day beside the Kundalika River and adventures like river rafting in Kolad, check-out from the campsite around 06:00 PM.
About the Rafting:
- Delight in an adrenaline pumping experience along the rapids that are a located at Saje, a small village on the banks of River Kundalika.
- The remote hamlet is a short drive from Mumbai just 120km away and 100 km from Pune. Located in the virgin forests below Mulshi and Bhira Dams.
- Spend two hours in this unique rafting site with multiple rides to beat the rapids as you get to body-surf, swim and have a great time.
- Report at raft start point at around 08:15 AM. Have a short briefing session with the river guide. Collect your gear and equipment and head to the river.
- You can then embark on the incredible experience of navigating these rapids that stretch for almost 11km. Thrill yourself with this delightful experience.
- This activity does not require any swimming experience and anyone above the age of 14 can indulge in the activity.
- The site can be accessed by any local transport by road to take back the incredible memories as you embark this activity.
Why Kolad should be your next trekking destination this monsoon?
Rafting is a high adrenaline sport of navigating a river in an inflatable raft. If you ever get into a mood for some good river rafting adventure, head straight for river kundalika in western Maharashtra which is open for the sport throughout the year. River kundalika is fed by the excess waters from the hydroelectric projects and dams, which makes river kundalika ideally suited for white water rafting, and other water-based adventure and leisure activities.
Thrilling River Rafting adventure
Know the techniques from expertise
Raft amidst lush green forests
Surreal greenery and blissful environment while Rafting
Panoramic view of several mountains
River Rafting Distance: 12 km on the water
Rapids: Grade 2 to Grade 3
Duration: Approx. 2 hours
Group Size: 50
Situated at only a short drive from Mumbai, it is the favourite hotspot for anyone enthusiastic to escape the crowds of the city.
Witness the rush of energizing rapids, get invigorated by the shower of cooling water, and let out the skill in you!
Enjoy an escape of a lifetime at the stunning Kundalika River and revel in the union with nature!
Covering a large stretch of 14km, river rafting near Pune will take you around 3.5 hours to complete. Get exhilarated by the jaw-dropping, exciting rapids and challenge yourself to an adventure unlike any other!
About the Activity:
- Charge yourself and get ready for some
thrilling monsoon rafting in Kolad. This tiny weekend getaway destination in
Maharshtra is well known for its wide variety of water adventure sports.
- Reach Kolad in the evening at around 4 PM in the evening and relax and stroll around the area amidst the green surroundings.
- Enjoy your dinner and go for a good night sleep because a day awaits you with full of adventure.
- Next day, enjoy your breakfast and report at the rafting start point, where you will meet your guide. Until you gear up for the activity, listen to your guide carefully explaining all the important safety procedures.
- Start your rafting activity and pass through some really tough and challenging rapids and get your adrenaline pumped up.
- Finish your rafting activity and head to your stay where a delicious lunch awaits you.
- Check out from the stay at around 3.30 PM and end your tour with lots of adventurous memories.
About the Activity:
- Enjoy the fascinating rapids of Kundalika River which flows with a mesmerizing view from the Bhira Dam, the added inflow of high density of water from the Mulshi Dam Project makes Kolad River rafting package an ideal destination for white water rafting.
- This adventure quest will begin with your arrival at the rafting camp by around 08:30 in the morning and will take you through some of the strenuous rapids in the Kundalika River.
- Following your arrival, you will be briefed about the safety measures for Kolad river rafting package and then will be provided with the required gears and equipment for Kundalika rafting. Post this, embark on a 10km rafting trail and challenge the roaring rapids!
- Upon completion; after covering 10km, get back to the shores and start advancing towards your onward destination. You can also avail other adventure activities like kayaking, river crossing, flying fox, rappelling and scuba diving at an additional cost.
About the Activity:
- Your exciting Kundalika River rafting adventure begins as you arrive at the beautiful campsite on the shores of Kundalika River.
- Check-in at about 07:45 AM and rejoice the beautiful feel of a quiet morning.
- As soon you arrive, you will be commencing the Kundalika rafting experience, where you will encounter thundering rapids and undulating flow of water that will give you the much needed rush of adrenaline.
- Challenge yourself and rise up to meet the high point of excitement and head back to the campsite!
- As you return, a delicious spread of lunch awaits you; relax your tired bodies and embark on the stimulating activities like river crossing, kayaking and ziplining. Your amazing session adventure activities and Kundalika rafting draws to a stunning close with a high tea, as you bid goodbye to the campsite and your experience.
About the activity :
- Gear up for the adventure of a lifetime at the white water rafting camp in Kolad, over the Kundalika River. Located at an easy distance of approximately 121km from Mumbai, it is the perfect weekend getaway and adventure destination.
- The rapids over the river stretch over 12km and are mainly of Grade 3 and Grade 4 variety, which require immense precision in the presence of safety equipment and expert.
- The hills and forests nearby make up for a stunning scenery where alonwith rafting, you can engage in nature hikes and treks.
- Kundalika is the only rafting site where rafting happens for the entire year but the best season is from June to October. So, grab your oars and gear up for an exciting ride!
About the Activity :
It is time for adventure!Head for a thrilling river rafting experience at Kolad on the Kundalika River with your friends and family! Revel in adventure and excitement to the maximum! The exciting rafting experience at Kolad started a few years ago and now it is a year round activity for all those who love the water and any adventure associated with it. This is the only rafting facility in India to be operational all-round the year. River Rafting at Kundalika River in Kolad is about 4hrs drive from Pune and Mumbai. White Water Rafting in Kundalika River, Kolad is controlled by the release of the dam water on the Kundalika River and offers Grade II and Grade III rapids. If the high adrenaline adventurer in you is craving for some hard core adventure, then head for an exciting river rafting experience in Kundalika in Kolad with your friends now!