Rich in Maratha culture, with forts a plenty in ruins, many treks through the Western Ghats can be reached easily from other cities and towns in Maharashtra. With the best sightseeing tours in Pune, get your spirit and adventurous streak down here and get ready to explore some amazing places in and nearby. Just a few kilometers away is the famous twin hill station, Lonavla and Khandala, which has been commercialized and sees plenty of footfalls and gets overly crowded during the peak monsoon season.
There are many other places that are being discovered and are nature’s gift to mankind in terms of trekking opportunities or seeking adventure sports like river rafting, zip lining etc. You can indulge in a one day sightseeing tour in Pune through the history, and get to know the evolution of this cosmopolitan melting pot of cultures. You can take a bike ride tour and explore Mumbai at leisure. You can also take part in one of the toughest treks through the jungles of Jungli Jaigadh or do a bazaar walk through Pune Kasba also known as the market town.
Indulge in buying some local jewelry or handicrafts or artefacts. You can also do an adventure activity along with a jeep safari at Kolhapur, Amba Ghat. Indulge in the Dudhsagar trek in Goa, visit the Kaas Valley which is abloom in the month of August- October once a year. Take a trek to lohagad fort and enjoy these ruins of the fort which have become submerged with nature and is hard to segregate as to where history ends and the nature begins. This place makes for a photographers delight. There is a hidden gem in Buldhana district in central Maharashtra called the Lonar Crater which was formed naturally by a meteor, and is a beautiful sight to behold. Don’t miss out.
People Also Ask About Sightseeing in Pune
Which is the best time to visit Pune for sightseeing?
Pune offers great sightings in the monsoon with lush green hills and numerous waterfalls and so July to September is a nice time of the year to visit for outdoor activities like trekking and sightseeing.
However, you may get stuck in one of the many traffic jams in the city.
Which all places are good for sightseeing in Pune?
Pune has an ambient weather throughout the year and being sandwiched between the Western Ghats and Sahyadri mountains, there are several places for hiking, camping for adventure seekers.
It was the capital city of the Maratha Empire, so there are several places of historical interest.
- Osho Ashram in Koregaon Park
- Pu-La Deshpande Garden
- Pataleshwar Cave Temple in Jangali Maharaj Road
- Katraj Snake Park on Pune-Satara road
- National Defense Academy in Khadakwasla
- Parvati Hill is the second highest point in Pune.
How much time would I require for a Pune sightseeing trip?
The city is a blend of old world charm and modern IT sector. It will take 3-4 days for seeing all important historical forts, palaces, and temples in the city. A cycling tour of the area could take about half a day.
Do keep a weekend free for enjoying one of the many trekking trails to see the Western Ghats and the Sahyadris in their full glory and splendor.
What different types of sightseeing options are available in Pune?
The National Award winning Pune Heritage Walk tour through 18 landmark destinations on Saturdays and Sundays at 7 a.m. will give you an insight into the history of the city.
The duration of the tour is 2.5 hrs. and the cost is 250 INR per head. Some of the best historical destinations are:
- Shaniwar Wada Palace in Shaniwar Peth
- Lal Dewal on Modelinia Road is also known as Red Temple.
- Sinhagad Fort (25 km)
- Aga Khan Palace is one of the most magnificent monuments of Pune, situated in the Yerawada area.
- Tribal Museum on Queens Road
- Dagduseth Halwai Ganpati Temple
- Omkareshwar Temple
- Parvati Temple
- Kasba Ganpati
- Chatushrungi Mata Temple
- Osho Ashram in Koregaon Park
- Artificial wall climbing at Raje Shivaji Artificial Climbing wall in Shivajinagar
- Paintball at Mariplex Mall in Kalyani Nagar
Are there any bus/taxi services which will help me with sightseeing in Pune?
Pune Darshan Car Rental Tours with pick up from the hotel at 9 a.m. and drop at 5.30 p.m. They cover all important landmarks of the city with running commentary by experienced guides. The charges start from 2200 INR for a day.
Pune Darshan Bus Tour plies over 25 km and covers about 18 landmarks in the city. The tickets cost 250 INR and can be booked online or bought at Deccan Bus Station or Pune Station.
Which all places are best for street shopping in Pune?
The most famous markets in Pune for shopping are:
- Laxmi Nagar
- MG Road or Camp
- Fashion Street
- Tulsi Baug
- Juna Bazaar
- BajiRao Road
- Hongkong Lane in Deccan
- FC Road
Which all places a couple must visit in Pune for sightseeing?
These places inspire romance in couples and are a must visit place for couples in Pune
- Mulshi Dam (50 km) are ideal for a picnic date with your significant other.
- Shaniwarwada Fort in Shaniwar Peth of the movie ‘BajiRao Mastani’ fame with its beautiful fountains and manicured lawns creates an aura of romance and mysticism in the air, making it among loveliest gardens in Pune.
- Osho Garden in Koregaon Park is a haven for couples with its tranquil surroundings which ensures rich, undisturbed time to the couples.
- Okayama Friendship Garden
- Empress Gardens close to Race Course
- Vetal Hill is the highest point in Pune.
- A meandering drive through misty clouds will take you to Mulshi Dam, a paradise for couples with dense forests and beautiful surroundings.
- Sinhagad Fort, the eminent historical site is visited by many couples who want to watch the sunrise and sunset together.
- O Hotel with a poolside candle light dinner and Shisha Café in ABC farms are the best hangout places for couples.
Which places are most enjoyable for kids in Pune?
There are many new places in Pune which are kid friendly.
- Imagica Snow Park in Khopoli
- Funky Monkey Play Center in Koregaon Park
- Wet n Joy Waterpark in Kamshet
- Gram Sanskruti Udyaan in Pashan
Which all beaches are must visit near Pune?
Pune has many beautiful beach destinations within 150 km. The best beaches to unwind near Pune are:
- Kihim Beach takes 2 hours to reach by road.
- Alibaug takes 2 hrs. 40 min to reach here.
- Mandwa Beach is 3 hrs. 30 min. away.
- Kashid Village and Murud are 4 hrs. from Pune.
- Diveagar beach which takes about 4 hours to reach.
Is it safe to travel Pune for a solo female traveler?
Pune is considered to be one of the safest cities for women in India. However, recently there have been a few untoward incidents so it is advised for solo women travelers to avoid lonely lanes and dark alleys during night time.
How far is Lonavala from Pune? Can we visit Lonavala in one day from Pune?
Beautiful hill station of Lonavala is approximately 68 km from Pune and it takes 1 hour by road. It has a lot of adventurous activities like trekking, water sports, paragliding, and rock climbing. A beautiful and peaceful Narayani Dham temple with beautiful fountains is a place to visit.
The view from Lion’s Point with floating clouds and green valleys is a feast for the eyes. Karla Caves and Bhaja Caves are two Buddhist caves carved into the rocky mountain site and have unique Buddhist depictions. Wet and Joy water park is an amusement park nestled in the Lonavala hills.
Which are some places near Pune we can go for sightseeing over the weekend?
There are quite a few destinations to visit near Pune for a short break from the monotony of city life.
- Lonavala (65 km) is beautiful hill station with many trekking trails, camping opportunities, viewpoints and majestic forts to visit.
- The city of Wai (85 km) on the banks of Krishna River is a sight to behold with its untouched beauty. There are many activities like kayaking, raft building, river crossing and trekking to indulge in.
- Kamshet (48 km) is a beautiful destination surrounded by rustic hamlets. It is the paragliding hub of the state.
- Khandala (69 km) is the most popular hill station in the region as it lies on the Mumbai-Pune highway.
- The moss covered statuesque Lohagad Fort (74 km) is a hot spot for trekking and history lovers.
- Matheran is the oldest hill station and is the only automobile free hill station in Asia.
- The Panchgani hill station
- Malshej Ghat has many waterfalls in undoubtedly the most picturesque place in the vicinity.
- Amboli is one of the best eco hot spots in the world.
Which are some famous waterfalls near Pune?
The Sahyadri range comes alive during monsoons with many waterfalls.
- Mulshi Dam valley (50 km) is dotted with many waterfalls during monsoons. Eight waterfalls in a row cascade down a mountain on the road to Palshe and are called Ashtdhara waterfalls.
- Kune Falls (70 km) in Lonavala-Khandala valley are three-tiered water falls of spectacular beauty.
- Zenith Falls in Khopoli (85 km) and Bhivpuri fall in Kajrat (105 km) are a must visit during monsoons.
- Lingmala Falls in Mahabaleshwar (120 km) is the highest waterfall in the region. They fall from 600 feet and drop into Venna lake.
- Pandavkada Falls (123 km) in Navi Mumbai are majestic and the main tourist attraction during monsoons.