What to Do in Coorg?Trek to Tadiandamol, Barapole River Rafting, Visit Dubare Elephant Camp, Virajpet Sightseeing Tour, Visit Abbey Falls, Stay at Coffee Plantation Homestay, Jeep Safari, Kumara Parvatha Trek, Visit Iruppu Falls and others.
Popularly known as the Scotland of India, there are several things to do near Coorg as diverse as your imagination can get. Coorg boasts of its spectacular natural beauty and the quaint and calm environs. Whether you are travelling with your family or friends, the hidden escapes and breathtaking scenery of Coorg is sure to make everyone happy.
From a cabin in the woods to river-rafting holidays, Coorg can be as relaxing or as challenging as you want it to be! What to do in Coorg is a question that is best answered through the unique and diverse activities it offers! Enjoy a fresh brew with the vistas of coffee plantations or take a dip in the scenic waterfalls like Mallalli Falls. Madikeri Fort and the Golden Temple Monastery are also worth visiting when in Coorg.
You can also visit the Kote Ganapathi Temple and Gandhi Mandap for some calm and peace. There are even numerous adrenaline-pumping activities like hikes to Tadiandamol and hand-glider flights thousands of feet above the ground!
Here are some of the best things to do in Coorg:
1. Trek to Tadiandamol Peak:Tadiandamol is a Kannada word that translates into big mountain’, a name which does justice to the place as it is the highest peak in Coorg and the second highest in Karnataka. Trekking to the top of Tadiandamol is one of the top activities to do in Coorg for adventure enthusiasts.
Perched at a height of 5735 feet above sea level, the peak offers staggeringly beautiful views of the surrounding Shola forests. The starting point of the trek is the historical Nalknad Palace which was built by Dodda Vira Rajendra in the year 1792.
The trek itself is long and tedious but scenic. If you decide to camp at the summit, you are guaranteed beautiful views of the rising and setting sun.
Location: 274 km from Bangalore, Coorg
Best Time to Visit: October to February
Charges: Rs 3,150
Difficulty level: Easy to moderate
Must Checkout - Coorg Tour Packages From Bangalore
Coorg Tour Packages From Chennai
2. Kumara Parvatha Trek:Another thrill among the very things to do in Coorg is trekking up to The Kumara Parvatha hill. The second highest peak in Coorg and very much the epitome of a paradise, this hill is surrounded by the eternal grandeur of nature. Smothered with the Pushpagiri range around, this one just gets to your wild heart with its scenic beauty and dense forests.
Furthermore, the trek can be a little difficult for the ones who are not used to trekking. Rest assured, everything from flairs to fauna along your way will reward you with timeless beauty and an odd sense of satisfaction during the 2 days of your unforgettable trek.
Location: Pushpagiri range, Coorg, Karnataka
Charges: Rs 3,050
Difficulty level: Moderate
Recommended Read: Trekking in Coorg
Also Checkout - Coorg Tour Packages From Kerela
3. Hike to Raja's Seat:The Raja’s Seat or the King’s Seat is a beautiful vantage point and visiting the Raja’s Seat is one of the most iconic options when thinking of what to do in Coorg. Historically, this was the place where the Kings of Coorg would come to enjoy the splendid scenery spread below them.
Today, it has been commercialised and has manicured seasonal gardens and artificial water fountains that mark the area. Although the views from Raja’s Seat are always breathtaking, the best time of the day to visit the place is during sunrise and sunset.
At the Raja’s Seat, you can also visit the Gandhi Mantap where remains of Mahatma Gandhi have been kept. Apart from the Mantapa, there is also a children’s amusement park and a toy train that takes you around the place.
Location: Near Rajadarshan Hotel, Raja Seat Road, Stuart Hill, Madikeri, Karnataka
Best time to Visit: The best time to visit is from the months of October to March
Timings: It can be visited from 6 am to 7 pm
Know More: 67 Offbeat Places To Stay in Coorg
Must Checkout - Coorg Tour Packages From Coimbatore
4. Explore The Wildlife at Nagarhole National Park:For the adventure junkies looking for the most thrilling activities in Coorg, Nagarhole National Park is the best place to add to your bucket list. Replete with beautiful waterfalls, valleys, streams and forests, this place is blessed with spectacular natural beauty.
It is home to the most distinct flora and fauna and tourists can look forward to an exhilarating day filled with exploring wildlife with a wildlife safari at Nagarhole National Park.
Best time to Visit: For getting the best view of animals, the months of April and May are considered best. However, if experiencing pleasant weather is a priority then the months from November to February is preferred.
Location: Madikeri Road, Hunsur, Karnataka
Timings: It is open from 6:45 am to 8:45 am and then from 4 pm to 6 pm
Must Checkout - Coorg Tour Packages From Vijayawada
5. Visit Iruppu Falls:Iruppu Falls is one of the most gorgeous waterfalls in Coorg where tourists can go to see the grandeur of nature and seek repose in the lush greenery of the landscape. Attracting scores of visitors every year, Iruppu Falls is known for having the famous Shiva Temple Rameshwara and deriving its roots from the epic Ramayana.
Located along the Brahmagiri mountain range amidst the breathtaking beauty of the Western Ghats, Iruppu Falls is a mesmerizing destination to visit on your vacation in Coorg.
Best time to Visit: The best time to witness the beauty of Iruppu Falls is during the monsoon season
Location: Kurchi, Karnataka
Timings: Tourists should visit Iruppu Falls any time between 6 am and 6 pm every day of the week
Book & Checkout - Coorg Family Packages
Also Checkout - Coorg Tour Packages From Hyderabad
6. Visit Golden Temple Monastery:The Golden Temple Monastery or the Namdroling Monastery is a beautiful Monastery in Coorg which is an excellent example of the rich Tibetan architecture.
It holds great historical and cultural importance, especially for the Tibetan community, as it is the world’s largest centre of teaching for the Nyingma lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. The monastery complex spreads over several square metres and reaches as high has 40 feet.
The highly ornate temple has colourful murals on the outer walls, precious gold knockers on huge, red doors and colourful paintings of gods and demons belonging to the Tibetan Buddhist mythology. The temple is surrounded by large, landscaped gardens which change colour with the seasons, making it just the place to come and relax for a while.
Location: Arlikumari, P.O. Bylakuppe, Coorg , Karnataka, 571104, India
Timings: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Book & Checkout - Coorg Tour Packages From Visakhapatnam
Must Visit - Places to visit in Coorg in 3 days
7. Visit Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary:Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the many wildlife sanctuaries in Karnataka and is particularly known for its rich bird population. Covering a staggering area of 102 kilometres, the sanctuary is nestled between the Kukke Subramanya Forest range on one side and the Bisle Reserve Forest on the other.
The landscape is dominated by a thick tree cover and tall peaks. While here, you can spot several endangered and rare species of birds and go out on safaris in the dense canopied jungles.
A bird safari through the wildlife sanctuary can result in close encounters with the bird species like grey breasted laughing thrush, Nilgiri flycatcher, black and orange flycatcher, Nilgiri wood pigeon, Malabar grey hornbill, grey-headed bulbul, blue-winged parakeet, small sunbird and white-bellied blue flycatchers.
Location: It is located near Mandalpatty in northern Coorg district.
Best time to Visit: The months from November to March are the most ideal to visit Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
Timings: It can be visited from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm for all days of the week
You May Also Like: Romantic Homestays in Coorg for Couples
Must Visit - Coorg Tour Packages From Trivandrum
8. Trek to KopattyThe best way to explore Coorg is on foot and the trek to Kopatty is one of the most rewarding things to do in Coorg. A half-day trek to Kopatty on an average pace will take you through a variety of landscapes, including lush green plantations, rolling grasslands which open to the views of the valley and narrow gravel paths.
The path will lead you close to the ledge before descending into the thick forest covers, giving you dramatic views of the landscape. You can easily cover the trail in around six or six and a half hours even if you plan to take a lunch break in the middle. The impressive scenery offers many opportunities to stop for a picnic or take stunning pictures.
Location: Kopatty hill, Coorg, Karnataka
Difficulty level: Moderate
Planning a trip to Coorg? You can Checkout: Coorg Group Tour Packages
9. Quad Biking:Picturesque hills and plains, rugged terrains, challenging curves and the off-roading tracks; all these make Coorg a sought after destination for Quad Biking.
Ideal for every kind of tourist, these rides can be undertaken for around 25 minutes between 10 AM to 4 PM. Chevalara in Coorg has some of the most exhilarating and exciting Quad Biking tracks.
Riding on these 250cc beasts that howl through any kind of terrain offers the much-desired adrenaline kick to adventure buffs and thus making it one of the most exciting things to do in Coorg.
Location: Kedakal Village, Suntikoppa Post, Coorg
Also Check: Places to visit in Coorg in one day
10. Dubare River Rafting:
One of the most picturesque places in Coorg, Dubare has a plenitude of host camps that organises rafting trips. As the water level reaches the highest during the monsoons, it is considered as the peak time for a rafting expedition.
There are close to 18 different rafting routes which range from easy to moderate to difficult. The activity begins at Dubare and then stretches for about 11km. Life jackets and other types of equipment are provided to ensure a safe trip.
Rafting here is considered as one of the best Coorg adventures to indulge in. Also, you can also indulge yourself in different activities in Coorg if planning to visit Dubare , and it is one of the best things to do in Coorg.
Best time to visit: July and August.
Location: Dubare, Coorg.
Recommended Read: River Rafting in Coorg