What to Do in Kashmir?Shikara Ride in Dal Lake, Stay in a houseboat, Skiing in Gulmarg, Take a Gondola Cable Car Ride, Shopping, Savor the Local Cuisine of Kashmir, Explore the Old Srinagar, Paragliding and many more. Explore!
Known as the Heaven on Earth, this undaunted valley is home to a plethora of things to do in Kashmir that are not only refreshing but also chilling. Offering a complete package of fun, excitement, and thrills, these activities suit the needs of all adventurous to relaxing souls. While with sightseeing you can explore the beauties spread around, with shopping you can take back home a range of Kashmiri exclusivities. Tasting different local veg and non-veg dishes and sipping a hot Kahwa drink can also etch your heart with delightful memories.
While the lovely mountain trails offer great opportunities for trekking, hiking, and mountain biking. The amazing topography and diverse landscapes make it ideal for indulging in hot air ballooning, paragliding, and camping. Still, wondering what to do in Kashmir to enjoy a unique experience. Golfing and white water rafting are other thrilling activities that can satisfy your cravings.
However, to witness the best of this paradise, explore Old Srinagar, visit Mughal Garden, offer prayers at historical mosques or temples, or plan a jeep safari or wildlife tour to national reserves or sanctuaries. But remember, your Kashmir trip can't be complete without a Shikara, Gondola, or pony ride or spending some time in a houseboat or white meadows of Sonamarg or Gulmarg. With the abundance of activities in Kashmir, a trip to this gorgeous destination is full of extraordinary experiences for all from leisure to adventure tourists.
People Also Ask About Kashmir Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Kashmir?
1. Shikara Ride in Dal Lake: Are you wondering what to do in Kashmir? Go for one of the most famous and loved Shikara rides that will let you endure the eternal beauty. Feel the bliss of the calm waters of Dal Lake or Nagin Lake while rejoicing the incredible natural bounty around and be astonished.
Watch seaweed variety and clusters of fishes, or shop for some traditional handicrafts or beautiful flowers from the floating markets, while enjoying a soothing sightseeing tour on a traditional Shikara, and mark your trip with fascinating memories.
-Location: Dal Lake or Nagin Lake, Srinagar City, Jammu and Kashmir
-Timings: 10 AM to 9 PM
2. Stay in a houseboat: One of the best activities to do in Kashmir includes a short yet mesmerizing stay in a houseboat. Known as the floating houses, these offer a chance to experience the traditional Kashmiri life while staying over the serene water of Dal Lake or Nagin Lake.
Suitable for couples, families to groups, the stay in a traditional houseboat is extremely rewarding. Enjoy the natural bounty while having traditional meals and relish a comfortable stay in a beautifully carved houseboat that features essential modern amenities and Kashmiri warm hospitality.
-Location: Dal Lake, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India
3. Skiing in Gulmarg: If you are looking for adventurous things to do in Kashmir, go skiing in the beautiful snow capped valleys of Gulmarg. Experience your adrenaline rush and relish the beauty around you while skiing through.
Known as one of the best ski resorts, it offers numerous easy to difficult slopes that attract amateurs to expert skiers. Gulmarg turns into the most happening place in Kashmir in winters and a haven for all snow sports and adventure lovers. So, if you want to enjoy something thrilling, do include skiing in Gulmarg on your bucket list.
-Location: Gulmarg, Jammu and Kashmir, India
-Timings: 11 AM to 5 PM
4. Take a Gondola Cable Car Ride: Marvel at multiple wonders and enjoy the world's second-highest cable car experience in Gulmarg. Explore the beautiful snow capped mountain ranges in Kashmir while riding high in the air in a cozy cabin with this world-famous Gondola Cable Car Ride and be stunned by nature's glory.
This must not miss activity in Gulmarg suits all sorts of travelers from family vacationers, romantic couples to adventurer seekers. The ride happens in 3 phases, first two are through closed cabins while the last phase includes the chairlift.
-Location: Gulmarg to Kongdori to Apharwat Peak / Mary Shoulder
-Timings: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
5. Savor the Local Cuisine of Kashmir: To please the traveler in you, Kashmir offers a promenade of traditional cuisines. The renowned delicacies not only leave you fascinated but can surely satisfy the foodie in you.
To have the best experience of local food, stroll around the small alleys and the local markets and taste the local dishes prepared by natives. Do not forget to taste the Kashmiri Kahwa, Paneer Chaman, Saag, and several other non-veg dishes like Rogan Josh, Modur Pulao, Matschgand, etc. Each dish offered is unique and can highlight your exquisite Kashmir journey.
6. Shopping: No trip can be complete without buying the traditional handicraft or specialty of that region. It is even said that one of the most enduring things to do in Kashmir is shopping.
Strolling through the local markets lets you discover splendid souvenirs that are offered here at small stalls to big stores. Be it antique items, astonishing copper wares, or fresh handcrafted products, Kashmir offers everything. World-famous shawls, carpets, and the best variety of fruits are a few items that must be picked before getting back to your home
-Timings: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM (for all markets and showrooms)
7. Paragliding: Amongst the most renowned adventurous activities to do in Kashmir, Paragliding is truly enthralling. Dropping yourself high from the mountains and gazing over Kashmir's beauty from atop is not only surreal but can make you experience something extraordinary.
Feel the rush in your adrenaline while rejoicing the majestic lush valleys beneath you with paragliding. And make sure to click pictures or ask for a recorded video to share your guts with your friends. You can club your paragliding experience with little treks in the surrounding area and make it more memorable.
-Location: Sonamarg, Gulmarg, Bhaderwah, Sanasar, Srinagar
-Timings: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
8. Explore the Old Srinagar: Discover the true Kashmiri life, culture, and traditions of Kashmir with a walking tour of the Old Srinagar. Exploring some hidden gems, visiting some historic points of interest like Spice Market, Budshah Tomb, Hari Parbat Fort, etc., and tasting local dishes at street-side restaurants will definitely amaze you to the core.
With a tour to the Old City in Srinagar, you will cross winding alleys, get to meet locals, discover their culture and see the old houses and get the real taste of the Kashmiri lifestyle.
9. Pay a visit to Kheer Bhawani Temple: Are you wondering, what to do in Kashmir that brings utmost peace? Then visit Kheer Bhawani Temple in Tulla Mulla village near Srinagar. One of the most famous holy shrines of Hindus, this is visited by devotees to seek the blessings of the deity and experience immense bliss.
The temple is dedicated to Goddess Ragnya Devi and is named Kheer Bhawani as devotees serve Kheer to please and seek blessings of the Goddess.
-Location: Tulmulla - Dangerpora Link Rd, Tulmulla, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India
-Timings: 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM
10. Pony Ride Excursion: Riding a friendly pony is also one of the most engaging things to do in Kashmir. It lets you enjoy the ancient way of traveling and feel like locals. Endure the experience while crossing the beautiful valleys and collect several cherishable memories of crossing well-known to hidden treasures of the region.
Kashmir is blessed with various gorgeous destinations from Pahalgam, Gulmarg, to Patnitop, Sanasar, and Kishtwar that offer great opportunities to enjoy the experience of pony rides and have an everlasting journey.
-Location: Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Pahalgam, Yusmarg, Patnitop, Sanasar, Kud, Nubra, Zanskar, and Drass valley.
-Timings: 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM
11. Stroll at Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden: Do you want to dive into the aura of a variety of flowers spread across wide lands? Then head towards the Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden. Home to a variety of gorgeous flowers, it is the largest tulip garden of its kind in entire Asia. And visiting this place with your family or beloved makes your trip truly fascinating.
If you are planning a Kashmir trip between March & May, plan it during the Tulip Festival held annually in the garden and be amazed by the rainbow of colors that gets exuded with a variety of blooming flowers.
-Location: Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, Cheshma Shahi Road, Rainawari, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
-Timings: 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM
12. Play Golf: Offering invigorating surroundings and well-managed courses in Gulmarg and Srinagar, Kashmir is a great destination to enjoy the game of Golf. Playing golf amidst the surroundings of chinar and pine in Kashmir is not only exciting but offers pleasant reminiscences of playing at the world's highest green golf course as well.
Golfing in Kashmir is also preferred for the pleasant climate and comfortable temperatures as it enables the players to enjoy the game for longer hours.
-Location: Srinagar/Gulmarg/Pahalgam Golf Course, Jammu, and Kashmir
-Timings: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
13. Bird Watching: One of the most soothing things to do in Kashmir is to watch beautiful birds flapping their wings or bobbing their heads. This region is a gorgeous haven for bird watchers as it is home to more than 550 native and 262 migratory birds.
Head to Hokersar for seeing several varieties of ducks like Tufted Duck, Garganey, Brahminy Duck Greylag Goose, and Northern Pintail, or plan a visit to Dachigam to get the views of monal pheasant, blood pheasant, crimson tragopan, golden eagle or koklass pheasant. Dal Lake is also great for watching a variety of migratory birds in the winter season.
-Location: Dal Lake/Hokersar/Dachigam National Park/Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve
14. Visit Shalimar Bagh: Be mesmerized by the Persian beauty of this architectural and ancient marvel, the Shalimar Bagh, which dates back to the 17th century. Either stroll along this gorgeous garden decorated with ornate terraces, fountains, flowers, or just sit back and relax and soak in the serene environment and surroundings.
The Chini Khanas are other highlights of the Shalimar Bagh that amuse the visitors with their undulating charm and a dazzling sight of oil-lit lamps. A beautifully designed canal that passes through the center of the garden also makes the visit more enticing.
-Location: Chinar chowk, Shalimar, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 191121
-Timings: 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
15. Wildlife Tour: Spot the exotic animals of Kashmir in the region's famous national parks and wildlife sanctuaries with a wildlife tour and capture them in your camera to keep the memories intact. Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar High Altitude National Park, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, and Overa National Park are the most beautiful destinations for a wildlife tour in Kashmir.
With a wildlife tour or jeep safari, you get the chance to spot a variety of animals and birds like Kashmir stag, wild cats, leopard, Himalayan black bear, musk deer, wild goats, etc. in their natural habitat.
16. Camping: With a diverse landscape stretching from the golden meadows of Sonamarg, the valley of Pahalgam to the Great Lakes amidst high Himalayan peaks, Kashmir offers ample opportunities for camping amidst nature. Spending the nights right under the sky in a temporary tent is truly extraordinary and a must for all experiential travelers.
Camping not only offers a thrilling escape but is also a rejuvenating experience for relishing natural surroundings, birds chirping, star-lit sky, bonfire nights, and traditional recipes along with some necessary modern amenities. From Pahalgam, Aru, Gulmarg, Chandanwari, Sonamarg, Yusmarg, Sanasar, Baisaran, to Patnitop, camping destinations in Kashmir are plenty.
What are the best adventure activities to do in Kashmir?
1. River Rafting: Amongst the top adventure activities in Kashmir, it is preferred by all sorts of tourists. Home to manymajestic rivers like Lidder and Sindh, Kashmir offers Grade I to III and even IV rapids along the beautiful stretches of Pahalgam and Sonamarg. While Grades I to III are for beginners and amateurs, Grade IV is the choice of experts.
2. Paragliding: Gliding high above in the sky and relishing the marvelous views of the valleys and mountains of Kashmir just like a bird is simply extraordinary. Avail this thrilling activity through the adventure clubs at Jammu, Batote, Sanasar, Suru Valley, or the Zanskar and mark your trip with unforgettable memories.
3. Skiing: Sliding down snow-covered hills on skis lets the participant feel the rush in adrenaline. One of the most thrilling things to do in Kashmir, skiing is a preferred choice amongst all sorts of travelers for being full of fun and excitement. You can enjoy skiing in either Gulmarg, Pahalgam, or Sonamrg, but Gulmarg ski resort is considered to be the best choice.
4. Mountain Biking: Pedaling through the majestic mountains and valleys of Kashmir on a modern bike is absolutely stimulating and promises the ultimate fun. Gulmarg Trail, Yousmarg Trail, Pahalgam Trail, Kishtwar Trail, and Sonamarg Trail are a few of the fascinating trails that offer the perfect settings for this adventure.
5. Horse Riding: Crossing thegorgeous and diverse landscape of the region makes the experience of riding a horse full of refreshing moments and spectacular sceneries. The popular areas in Kashmir for horse riding are Pahalgam and Gulmarg.
6. Trekking: Kashmir is a dream destination for all trekking and hiking lovers for its imposing mountains, beautiful trails, and unmatched scenery. It offers a number of easy to challenging treks, including Sheshnag Lake, Tarsar Marsar Lakes, Lidder valley Pahalgam, Gangabal Lake, Vishansar Krishansar Lakes, and many more.
7. Jeep Safari: Another interesting way to explore the exclusivities of Kashmir is to opt for a jeep safari. Jeep Safari enables all sorts of travelers to enjoy an adventurous expedition without much effort. It is preferred by families and even honeymooning couples.
8. Hot air Ballooning: Witnessing the beautiful scenery of Kashmir while floating in the air on a hot air balloon is indeed an unbeatable experience. The valleys of Suru and Zanskar are the best destinations to enjoy this amazing activity. It is also one of the most loved activities in Kashmir by honeymooners and couples.
What are the romantic things to do in Kashmir?
1. Stay in the Houseboat: Staying in a traditional houseboat floating on the pristine Dal Lake offers the best opportunity to kindle your love life and enjoy a romantic retreat. The ambiance, the aura, and the spectacular views of the surroundings make the stay truly extraordinary and one of the most romantic things to do in Kashmir.
2. Shikara Ride: Cruising over the Dal Lake on a beautiful Shikara while holding your love's hand certainly leaves love birds with more than romantic memories. The serene beauty of the surroundings and blossoming lotus and water-lily also create a romantic setting.
3. Enjoying Candle Light Dinner: Wondering what to do in Kashmir for a romantic evening? Having an open-air candlelight dinner with your beloved and feasting on delicious Kashmiri cuisine certainly makes the romantic trip everlasting.
4. Playing with Snow: Making a snowman or playing with snowballs amidst the carpets of white gold in Gulmarg or Sonmarg are the best romantic activities in Kashmir. Sliding on the slopes of snow and clicking pictures in romantic poses are loved by all couples.
5. Gondola Ride: Relishing the beauty of Kashmir with your better half on board the world's second-highest cable car is unquestionably poetic and romantic.
What is the best time to visit Kashmir?
Summers (March to June) in Kashmir offer pleasant weather with bright blue skies, making it the best time to visit Kashmir. The climatic conditions are favorable during this period, and you can enjoy sightseeing and also indulge in outdoor activities. But if you are a snow fan, the winter months (November to February) offer the best opportunities to savor the taste of the best winter activities in Kashmir.
What is Kashmir famous for?
Renowned as the "Paradise on Earth," Kashmir is famous for its natural splendor, snow-capped mountains, exotic wildlife, marvelous monuments, local handicrafts, holy shrines, and rich heritage. Pristine lakes, houseboats, Gondola, snow activities, Kashmiri hospitality are other highlights of this scenic city.
How to reach Kashmir?
- By Air: Sheikh Ul-Alam International Airport Srinagar, located at approx. 14 km from the city center, serves flights to some of the major cities of India like Delhi, Leh, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Goa, and Jammu.
- By Train: The nearest railhead to Srinagar is Jammu Tawi Railway Station, located approx. 300 km away from Srinagar, which runs regular trains to Delhi and many other major cities.
- By Road: NH 1 and NH44 connect Kashmir to major cities of India while the Jawahar Tunnel connects Jammu to the valley of Kashmir. JKSRTC buses, private buses, and cabs are different means to reach the city by road.
Is it safe to visit Kashmir?
Kashmir is safe for tourists and sees a multitude of tourist activities happening every year. Even Kashmir people are very friendly and treat tourists with utmost respect and love. All the tourist places in Kashmir are safe to visit with no attack registered on any tourist.
How many days are enough for Kashmir?
To experience all major attractions of Kashmir like Srinagar, Sonamarg, Pahalgam, Gulmarg, you need a minimum of 5 days. But if you are short of time you can plan a short trip including the places of your choice. Similarly, if you want to enjoy all the exclusivities of this nature's paradise you need at least a 15 days and 14 nights trip.
Where to go skiing in Kashmir?
To enjoy one of the most exhilarating winter adventure activities in Kashmir, skiing, head to either Gulmarg, Pahalgam, or Sonamarg. However, Gulmarg offers the best slopes in the country for skiing and is recognized as one of the world's premier skiing resorts. In winters, its meadow gets converted into baby slopes that are ideal for beginners and amateurs. For experienced skiers, the higher mountains slopes serve the best opportunities.
What are the best treks to do in Kashmir?
1. Kashmir Great Lakes Trek: Situated in the Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir, this trek includes a total of 74.4 km trekking in six days. Starting from Sonamarg, it ends at the Gangabal and Nundkol Lake at 13,500 ft.
2. Tarsar Marsar Trek: The trek is 47.6 km long and lets you touch the altitude of 13,201 ft. It is a moderate trek with longer trekking days and a few steep climbs and requires 6 days to complete.
3. Stok Kangri Trek: Starting from close to Leh, this trek leads you to an elevation of 20,182 feet. The climb is steep, involves some rock climbing, and is referred to as a moderate trek.
4. Naranag Gangabal Trek: An easy all-year-round trek, it passes through the well-established paths. It touches the altitude of 6,982 ft at Gangabal and Nundkol Lake, located at the foothills of the imposing Mount Harmukh.
5. Kolahoi Glacier Trek: One of the arduous treks in Kashmir, it should be attempted by only experienced trekkers with suitable physical fitness. The trek needs about 5 days and takes you up to an altitude of 12,000 ft above sea level. It crosses different rivers originating from the glacier and takes you through the valleys of the Himalayas up to the glacier.
Which are the best houseboats stays in Kashmir?
1. Butt’s Clermont Houseboat: Offering cozy suites, it offers a retreat by the western shores of Dal Lake overlooking Naseem Bagh. The captivating beauty of the lotus garden enhances the stay experience to another level.
2. Royal Group of Houseboats: If you are thinking of what to do in Kashmir for a memorable trip. Stay at any of these houseboats to enjoy a sojourn amidst the picturesque region of Mahadev Mountain Range and enjoy exceptional services and hospitality.
3. Royal Dandoo Palace Group of Houseboats: Amongst the most beautiful houseboats, here you will experience a stay in the wood-paneled houses that come decorated with traditional handicrafts and a cozy fireplace. The houseboat management also arranges for birdwatching tours and picnics.
4. Lighthouse Group of Houseboats: Thoughone of the mid-range houseboats,the services and hospitality on the offer are competent enough to make the trip a memorable one. The Kashmiri dishes served on the houseboat are true delights for the visitors.
5. Butterfly Houseboats: The top choice for all luxury lovers, this 5-star property offers an excellent stay along with a plethora of recreational facilities. Stay at this houseboat to enjoy a memorable holiday over Nigeen Lake.
What are the best things to buy in Kashmir?
2. Walnut Wood Items
3. Paper Mache Articrafts
4. Kashmiri Pashmina Shawls and Dress Material
8. Dried Fruits
10. Traditional Silver Jewelry
12. Willow Bats
13. Kashmiri Lac Ornaments
14. Traditional Costumes
15. Kashmiri Apples, Apricots, Plums, and many other fruits
What are the best things to do in Kashmir in winter?
1. Skiing: One of the most adventurous things to do in Kashmir in winter, it lets you glide on the slopes of different levels amidst the white carpet of snow.
2. Sleigh Riding: Looking for what to do in Kashmir in winter? Indulge in sleighing with your partner or kids and enjoy the thrills of sliding down on the snowy slopes while riding on a sleigh.
3. Ice Skating & Ice Hockey: In winters, lakes in Kashmir become frozen, offering an ideal setting for ice skating or hockey. Try your hand at any of these exciting activities to do in Kashmir and endure something thrilling.
4. Attending Snow Festival: Held in Gulmarg in January, this 3-day festival offers a number of activities like snow cycling, biking, skiing, snowboarding, baseball, and ice-skating. However, snow cycling and biking are the major attractions of this annual festival.