Lonavla is a town and a hill station in Maharashtra. It is known for its production of the hard candy chikki. Lonavla is home to INS Shivaji (formerly HMIS Shivaji) which is the Indian Navy's Premier Technical Training Institute. There are many tourists who are always in search of the Best things to do in Lonavala.
Lonavla and the adjacent Khandala are twin hill stations in the Sahyadri ranges where tourism peaks during the monsoon season. A trip to Lonavla and Khandala can be combined with sight-seeing visits of various caves and fortresses. There are several other places and things of interest also which tourists would be interested in. Trekking including night treks, camping, photography trips, waterfall rappelling is some of the activities that adventure lovers can participate in. If you happen to be around during the year-end you can enjoy a New Year celebration party at your camping site. Lonavla is connected by road, rail, and air and you can reach here through the Mumbai-Pune Expressway which is well-connected to several towns.
Foodies have diverse options and can choose from among the hot Masala Chai with spicy Vada Pav and Bhajiyas in Lonavala. You can also try the pristine and cool Coconut Water and don’t forget to buy some Chikki and fudges to take to your friends and family back home.
With so much to choose from, it is not surprising that tourists flock to Lonavala and are on the lookout for the Best things to do in Lonavala.
Things to Do in Lonavala
People Also Ask About Lonavala Things To Do
What are the different types of adventure sports in Lonavala?
Settled on the western ghats, Lonavala has got no shortage of backcountries. The hill station is full of places where a distinct variety of adventure tours in Lonavala could be arranged. With mighty hills, you can go for treks to different corners of the hills. They have amazing sights to set up a campsite against it.
The place is perfect for paragliding also. Having a lot of vertical cliffs, it is possible to arrange rappelling and waterfall rappelling in the hill station. Moreover, you can go for photography, bird watching, mountain cycling and more to spend an amazing trip.
1. Camping: Camping is one of the best adventure activities in Lonavala as it is the perfect way to get close to nature and know it better. Lonavala is full of amazing spots like serene riverside, wild forest, mysterious caves, antique forts, forests with fireflies and more where you can engage in overnight camping at beautiful places like Pawna, Bhandardara and many more.
- Location: Lonavala
- Price: Starting from 975 INR
2. Trek: With mighty mountains, historical forts and old caves, you can plan a lot of adventure tours in Lonavala to the incredible corners of the region. For forts, Lonavala has Tung Fort, Peb Fort and Lohagarh Fort where you can trek to the history. Whereas there are some caves like Dhak Bahiri, Kondane and Karla which will also be worthy to trek up to. Trekking will definitely tire you but the endings are always satisfying.
- Location: Lonavala
- Price: Starting from 800 INR
3. Rappelling: It is a sport where you have to rappel down from a rock cliff facing towards it. Lonavala is blessed with a lot of vertical rock cliffs which are suitable for this sport. Moreover, in monsoon, these cliffs turn into waterfalls giving you the chance for waterfall rappelling.
- Location: Lonavala
- Price: Starting from 1000 INR
4. Paragliding: It is a sport which lets you unleash yourself and fly high in the sky. Lonavala gives very satisfying views underneath making it one of the great places to do paragliding. You have the choice between single and tandem paragliding where you can decide if you wish to go alone or with a friend of yours.
- Location: Kamshet, Lonavala
- Price: Starting from 2,500 INR
5. Caving: Now emerging in India, caving is a very adventurous sport which lets you spend some time in the caves like cavemen in the early era. Karla Caves is the best option for caving in Lonavala. You can trek to the caves and then set up the camp for caving. It will be some new and thrilling experience for you as it is very new in the country.
- Location: Karla Caves
- Price: Starting from 5,950 INR
6. Mountain Biking: Lonavala has a lot of hills with rough terrains where you can ride your bike to the unspoilt corners of nature and enjoy the flora and fauna. Mountain biking is a very good activity for adventure seekers, photographers and people who wish to know nature more. This off-road biking experience will be a good frame to add to the wall of your memories.
- Location: Lonavala
- Price: Starting from 1,500 INR
7. Flying fox: Also known as a zip lining, Flying Fox is an activity with gives you a good adrenaline rush. You are tied to a horizontal string which takes you over green mountains. Lonavala gives the chance to zip line on a string tied at a height of 1250 feet which will make the experience count.
- Location: Della Adventure, Lonavala
- Price: Starting from 1,500 INR
What are the best things to do in Lonavala?
There are several activities that a person visiting Lonavla can take part in. Activities can vary among trekking, camping, visit historical sites, cave visits and just enjoy the scenic beauty of the place. Choose to visit these places:
- Tungarli Lake and Dam
- Della Adventure Theme Park
- Shooting Point
- Lion Point
- Narayani Dham
- Karla Caves
- Bhushi Dam
- Lohagad Fort
- Tiger’s Point
- Lonavla Lake
- Ryewood Park & Shivaji Udyan
- Duke's Nose
- Valvan Dam
- Rajmachi Point
What are the different adventure activities to do in Lonavala?
Lonavala with its scenic beauty and alluring charm is one of the gorgeous hill stations in Maharashtra. It is also a paradise for the adventure junkies. This beautiful hill station near Mumbai and Pune has everything in its couch for adventure lovers. Take your pick from:
- Trekking to
- Rajmachi and Kondane Caves
- Della Adventure Park
- Lohagarh to Visapur
- Duke’s Nose Trek
- Lonavla camp site
- Rock face camping
- Monsoon camping
- Pawna Lake
- Dhak Bhairi
- Zip Lining
- Paint Ball
- Rock Climbing
- Balloon Rides
Which are the best adventure amusement parks in Lonavala?1. Della Adventure Park: This amusement park is home to the best adventure sports in Lonavala like India’s only Swoop swing (100 ft.), and others such as 5 kinds of zorbing, 700cc yamaha raptor ATV and others. Be it for adventure groups or individuals, this place is ideal for all kinds of adventure lovers.
2. Magic Fountain: For non stop fun with kids and loved ones, this park is an excellent choice. This all day park is abode to 31 international rides including Giant Frisbee, Z-Force, Turbo Force, , Sky Screamer, Top Spin and other world-class rides.
3. Dinosaur Park: This park will fulfill your dream of a dinosaur excursion. The park houses huge dinosaur models that will astonish your kids. The lake at the park is another highlight where one can relax after a fun day here.
4. Wet N Joy Water Park: This water park features an array of exciting rides that will offer you an opportunity to test your courage. Unlock thrill and excitement as you visit this place and spend your day enjoying the rides on your Lonavala adventure.
Which are the most adventurous places for trekking in Lonavala?
The beautiful ranges of the Sahyadris offer great trekking options to the thousands of adventure enthusiasts. The thrill of treading on an untouched path, in the wilderness, close to the innumerable beauties of nature is a never to be forgotten experience. The Lonavla trekking region offers a myriad of trails in the lap of nature amidst its natural beauty untouched by man. You can choose from the following places:
- Tikona Fort Trek
- Astronomical Night Trek to Lohagad Fort
- Rajmachi & Kondana Caves Trek
- Duke’s Nose Trek
- Visapur Fort Trek
- Lonavala to Bhimashankar
- Night trek to Dhak Bahiri Caves
- Night trek to Tamhini
- Trek near Ulhas River
- Ghangad and Tailbaila Forts
- Range Trek to Lonavala, Bhimshankar via Jambhivali
- Trek to Lohagad and Bhaje Caves
Which are the best trekking trails in Lonavala?1. Tikona Fort Trek: Head on to the Lonavala adventure as you go on this unique trek on which many attractions fall on the way like Satvahan caves, Trimbakeshwar Mahadev temple and more. Catch the glimpses of the resting lake beneath and breath-taking views of the kothaligad and Pawna Dam on your way.
2. Tamhini Ghats Trek: This is a popular trek in Lonavala that sits on the top of Western Ghats. This trek will offer you an exotic experience with extravagant views of the gushing waterfalls, lush green misty valleys and much more.
3. Lohagad Fort Trek: Spot the beautiful views on your trek to the Lohagad fort seated at an altitude of 1,033 m above sea level. The monsoons uplift the beauty of this place with lush greenery all around.
4. Trek to Duke’s Nose: With a trek of duration of 4 hours, this trek is best to go to between the months of October and March. The cliff that is climbed appears as the head of a snake and is often referred to as Nagphani.
Which are the best camping sites in Lonavala?1. Pawna Lake: An awesome site to set in for Lonavala adventure, Pawna Lake is an exotic escape to spend some time within nature. The gorgeous views of the low hanging clouds, swift waters in front and high towering hills make this place none less than a camper’s paradise.
2. Rajmachi Village Camping: While you plan to camp at the Rajmachi Village, enjoy the sight of fireflies glowing in the air at night. You can enjoy great local delicacies here and can explore the nearby Rajmachi fort for exploration.
3. Shirota Lakeside Camping: This campside will offer you respite from your everyday monotonous life on your Lonavala adventure trip. The stunning landscapes spread in front and breath-taking sunset views will make your camping experience even more delightful.
4. Vasind Camping: Reconnect with yourself as you camp at this location where you can start your morning with some adventure sports in Lonavala or gaze at the beauty of the place while sipping your morning tea/coffee.
Which are the best campsites in Lonavala?
Get up and about to make your holiday enjoyable as you experience the unforgettable experience of camping in Lonavala. Staying at a hotel with all the comforts available makes for a usual holiday experience but roughing it out in a camp is a different experience altogether. This beautiful hill station has its own charisma with its lush and captivating hills and forts and provides you with the excitement of some of the best camping experience. Vendors arrange for camping at:
- Pawna Lake Campsite
- Camping in Malshej
- Camping in Panvel
- Camping in Badlapur
- Bhandardara Lakeside Camping
- Lonavla Campsite
Where can I enjoy hot air balloon ride in Lonavala?
Lonavla, a stunning hill station, holds within its embrace a vast stretch of greenery, exotic valleys, gigantic hillocks, and sparkling lakes. Take off on an unforgettable flight high up in the sky on a hot air balloon safari. As you soar up into the sky like a bird, you will get an opportunity to admire the natural beauty of Lonavla far down below you. The sight of several other colourful balloons dotting the sky is also mesmerizing. The balloon rides which last for an unforgettable hour are arranged early in the morning and in the afternoon as during these times the weather remains favorable to conduct this activity. Take your pick from among the several operators who arrange to take tourists on this beautiful experience.
Where can I go for Off-Roading and Dirt Biking in Lonavala?- Tamhini ghat
- Panshet ghat
- Ride uphill the tiger point
- Rajmachi village
Where can I do boating in Lonavala? How much will it cost?
There are opportunities in the few lakes of Lonavla which you can avail of. The natural beauty of Lonavla is so heartwarming that even a boat ride can be memorable. Take an opportunity of a boat ride either with family or with friends. Pay between Rs.1000 – Rs.3000 and avail of boat rides on the:
- Pavana/Pawna Lake
- Tungarli Lake
- Shirota lake
Which is the best destination for a wildlife safari in Lonavala?
Globetrotters travel the world, to experience nature in its wildest and virgin form. Lonavla boasts of lush forests, which are home to a variety of flora and fauna. You can enjoy and explore the rich biodiversity of Lonavala and spend time in taking a peek at some rare species of animals and plants during your holidays. Get your vendor to customize your trip. Enjoy a fun-filled holiday full of surprises with a thrilling safari ride during the day while you spend the night in the wilderness of the forest in a camp or resort. Experience the pristine beauty of nature and all the tiny and large species that inhabit this place.
The best choice is the Rajmachi Wildlife Sanctuary which is surrounded by dense green forests located on the foothills and hilly terrains of Western Ghat in Sahyadri ranges is a weekend destination for the nature-loving tourists. The sanctuary encloses animals and birds in abundance. The mammoth Indian squirrel is a major attraction here. It is a rare place where one can spot the wild animals freely moving in their natural habitat. Enriched with rare species of herbs and plants the landscape is very good for nature walks, trekking and bird watching.
Which are the spiritual places for a must visit in Lonavla?
When we plan a holiday our target is mainly enjoyment. While some tourists add visits to a few places that will satiate their spirituality to their holidays some may find enjoyment only in spirituality. For some people, spirituality is connected to places of worship while for others it may mean yoga and meditation. Whichever category you belong to, there are several places in Lonavala to choose from to satisfy your spiritual desires. Check out on the ones mentioned.
- Narayani Dham Temple
- Bhairavnath Temple
- Datta Mandir Kalekar Mala
- Karla caves
- Shantinath Jain Temple
- Shatrunjay Jain temple
- Kaivalyadham Yoga Centre
Is Rajmachi trek a difficult one? What are the precautions I should take?
Rajmachi Fort is one of the many historical forts in the rugged hills of the Sahyadri Mountains boasting of the twin fortresses of Shriwardhan Balekilla and Manaranjan Balekilla, with a wide Machi or plateau surrounding them. A small village called Udhewadi is situated on the Machi at the southern foot of Manaranjan Balekilla.
There are two approach routes to Rajmachi fort. One is from Karjat on the right bank of Ulhas River and the second one from Salpe village. Both the routes involve a steep climb up on foot. It is not possible to drive a vehicle on these two routes. Both these routes from Karjat involve a steep climb up on foot, of about 500 meters.
The other routes to Rajmachi are from Lonavala to Rajmachi with a distance of 15 km is almost a plain walk, with only a few ups and downs. A sturdy utility vehicle can be taken right up to Rajmachi, on the route from Khandala.
To make the trek comfortable carry a haversack to keep your hands free. Carry at least 3lts of water, Electoral or Glucon D powder, an extra pair of clothes, ready to eat food, like plum cakes, chocolate bar, some snacks, and biscuits. Don’t forget to carry your personal medicines, sun protection cap, and goggles. A torch with extra batteries, bed sheet, sleeping bags, personal tea mugs needs to be carried if you are planning an overnight camping experience.
What are the activities to do in Della Adventure Park? What are its charges?
An adventurous one day trip to Della Adventure Park is compulsory in your itinerary if you are an adventure freak. You will enjoy an absolutely thrilling time with your friends or family. Della Adventure Park in Lonavala offers everything to keep you excited and enjoy a whale of a time. Don’t miss out on activities like:
- Swoop swing
- Flying Fox
- Rocket Ejector
- Motocross dirt bike riding
- Aqua Zorb
- Buggy Ride
- Paint ball shooting
- ATV Rides
- Bungee Trampoline
- Shooting Range
- Rocket Ejector
Get entry passes at the following rates: (Watch out for special offers)
- Rs.2240/- for most activities in the zone.
- Rs. 6399/- for most activities in the zone and 9 extreme adventures.
- Rs. 1600/- for kids and Senior Citizens to enjoy for most activities in the zone.
- Rs. 14616/- for an annual pass.
Can we do caving in Lonavala?
Yes, you can do caving in Lonavala. Though it has a lot of caves, the most preferred caves for caving are Karla caves for a good experience. You can book your tour through Thrillophilia where you get a lot of options for adventure tours in Lonavala and they can set up an equipped campsite in the caves for a never forgettable experience.
What are the things one should carry while doing adventure sports?
There are a lot of things one should carry while doing adventure sports, starting from comfortable shoes that fits you properly to avoid frostbite and discomfort while in action. Since activities like camping and trekking take you into the woods you must take mosquito repellent with you as they will be waiting there to welcome you.
You should also take extra clothes as well as sunscreen and sunglasses while keeping the sun in mind. You may even need your flip flops and towel if it is an overnight stay. Moreover, it will be ideal to carry your camera as well as a flashlight with extra batteries.
Which are the best night treks in Lonavala? What should I keep in mind?
Lonavla is a paradise for trekkers because of its scenic beauty. Day treks are common but you the experience can be even more exciting if you are willing to undertake a night trek adventure. Lonavla has lots to offer on this. Contact vendors and go for the night treks which can be made to:
- Tikona Fort
- Rajmachi and Kondane Caves
- Visapur Fort
- Dhak Bahiri Caves
- Tamhini, Near Pune
Keep the following aspects in mind:
- Carry Flashlight with Spare Cells
- Be comfortably dressed and carry spare clothes
- Carry Sun Glasses, Sun Screen, Cap and plenty of water
- Carry Mosquito Repellent, Personal medicines, and other requirements
- Carry Bed Sheets, Plastic Sheet or mat
- Stay with the group
- No litter
- Stick to a planned schedule.
- Act like a responsible citizen
- No Alcohol
- No noise
- Be attentive to others in the group.
Where can I enjoy rappelling in Lonavala? Is it safe?
Rappelling is an activity that true adventure lovers will enjoy. It is the perfect experience for a getaway from hectic city life. Waterfall rappelling is a favorite and rejuvenating experience. Take a walk on the paths enjoying the beauty of the lush foliage and thundering falls cascading down the ridges of Sahyadri Ranges, climb up the forest trails and rappel down with a harness through the refreshing falls or reach the point on a vehicle and enjoy a great rappelling adventure. Vendors and operators will ensure your safety if you have a big heart. Go to:
- Dudhiware waterfall
- Bhaje caves
Where can I do horse riding in Lonavala? How much will it cost me?
There are several opportunities to learn the art of horse-riding and a little about these majestic creatures, explore the stunning landscape, relax and unwind at this offbeat adventure in:
- Aundoli Camp
- Della Adventure Resort
There are Filly and Colt Farms also to train you at horse riding. Be ready for an expense of a minimum of Rs. 10000/-
What are the things one should keep in mind while experiencing adventure sports?
There are certain things you should always keep in mind while experiencing adventure sports. First of all, you should be mentally prepared to attempt the activity followed by having a healthy body to do it. Even make sure you listen and follow every instruction you are being given by your instructor.
And yes, do NOT take your gears as a joke and wear them completely and properly. Moreover, a little warm-up before the activity will give a good stretch to your body which reduces the chances of injury.
Lastly, make sure you are wearing appropriate attire for the activity along with comfortable shoes. Following all these will ensure a good and safe experience of yours.
Where can I do adventure biking in Lonavala?
If you are the kind of person who loves the feel of the wind rushing through your hair don’t miss out on adventure biking experiences among the Sahyadri Ranges with the beautiful sights around. Get your adrenaline rushing and enjoy adventure biking at:
- Della Adventure Resort
- Lonavla Camp Site
Which are some of the amazing caves to explore in Lonavala?
Whether you are interested in architecture or your interest lies in Buddhism, you will find the caves in and around Lonavala interesting. The main structures like the Chaitya or the Viharas educate you on the religion as well as the architecture of the period. Visit:
- Karla Caves
- Bhaje Caves
- Bedse Caves
How to reach Lonavala?
By bus: Lonavala has a local bus stop which is very well connected to major cities like Pune and Mumbai. You can easily book a ticket on a comfortable bus to Lonavala.
By train: There is a local railway station in Lonavala with good traffic of trains from major cities like Pune and Mumbai. So you can easily catch a train to the hill station and further book a taxi to the significant places of Lonavala.
By air: Mumbai Airport is the nearest airport to the hill station. So you will have to catch a flight until here and further book a train or bus to reach Lonavala.
What is the best time for camping at canyon valley in Lonavala?
The best time for camping at Canyon Valley is before or after the monsoons. October to March is the best time to undertake this activity as the weather will be at its best. Enjoy the lush green foliage, twittering of birds and the sound of waterfalls or enjoy the activities organised at the campsites. If you happen to be around during the year-end then you can enjoy a great party.
Which are the best places to go for a corporate day outing? What things can we do?
To get an organization on the right track and achieve success in the corporate sector it is important how efficiently the teams perform. A large team without bonding and spirit cannot achieve great heights. Motivation and encouragement make the team members give their best. The activities that are offered require understanding among the members of a team increasing the bonding which reflects in the day to day activities. Corporate day outing and games in Khandala, Lonavla gives you a vast choice of activities like:
- Acid river
- Roller Coaster
- Caterpillar Walk
- Three Island
- Full Contact
- Traffic Jam
- Hula Hoop
- Cob Web
- Tower Building