Things to Do in KolkataTake a tour of the Victoria Memorial, Watch the collision of the cosmos at M P Birla Planetarium, Take a walk along the Ganges, Take a ferry ride near the classic Howrah Bridge, Go to Belur Math and many more.
From taking a stroll along the mighty Ganges, exploring the colorful alleys and primeval buildings in the north to shopping in one of the largest shopping malls in the city, there are innumerable things to do in Kolkata. The City of Joy has carefully preserved the traces of the colonial era through time which is reflected in the majestic monuments, carrying the enigma of the previous century.
You can take a walk through the streets and alleys of Kolkata at leisure and see the vintage charm that the city is famous for. The cauldron of cultures and religion that the city is will grow on you once you start exploring some of the greatest points on interest in the city.
Being the city of gourmets, Kolkata homes various restaurants and eateries that offer sumptuous meals for you to gorge on. You can also shop your heart out in some of the best malls and arcades in Kolkata. The City of Joy has something in store for travelers of all ages and tastes. The list of activities to do in Kolkata runs long.
Things to Do in Kolkata
People Also Ask About Kolkata Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Kolkata?
- Take a tour of the Victoria Memorial: The iconic white marble building built in Indo-Saracenic Architecture. As the name suggests, the magnificent structure was built in the memory of Queen Victoria. It is one of the most visited places in Kolkata.
- Watch the collision of the Cosmos at M P Birla Planetarium: One of the famous landmarks in the city of Kolkata. The Planetarium is the hub for myriad scientific and planetarium activities. You can also enjoy the 35-minute sky show at the Planetarium.
- Witness the charisma of a cathedral built in the Indo-Gothic style of Architecture at the Saint Paul’s Cathedral: Sit back and relish the serene atmosphere of the majestic cathedral. If you are in Kolkata around Christmas, you can take part in the midnight prayers at the Cathedral on Christmas eve.
- Take a walk along the Ganges at Princep Ghat: Princep Ghat, being one of the popular areas of recreational activities in Kolkata, attracts hordes of tourists all around the year. Do not forget to check out the Palladian Porch built in the memory of the antiquary and scholar James Princep. You can also try out some of the famous street foods while taking a walk along the riverside.
- Take a ferry ride near the classic Howrah Bridge: Watch the sky change into the picturesque hues of pink, orange and purple as the sun goes down. The glorious Howrah Bridge, in all its grandeur, is sure to keep you gazing in awe.
- Go to Belur Math or a spiritual retreat: Belur Math is located in Belur, an establishment situated in the west bank of the river Hoogly. The Belur Math is the headquarters of Ramakrishna Math, which was founded by Swami Vivekananda. The architecture of the temple that blends Hindu, Christian, Buddhist and Muslim motifs is in itself a marvel. People of all religions come to this place to connect with their higher self and enjoy the tranquil environment, away from the hustle-bustle of the city.
- Perplexed about what to do in Kolkata? Ride the vintage tram to Esplanade, the famous shopping spree in Kolkata. Trams have been the part and parcel of the everyday Calcutta right from the onset of the previous century. Get off at Esplanade, the stop for all shopping lovers in Kolkata. You can get everything from apparel to artifacts and souvenirs for the best price. Explore the dainty nightlife in Kolkata in Park Street. The bustling area of Park Street, previously known as Mother Teresa Sarani, is the city’s main venue for buzzing nightlife. You can also check out some of the most sought after eateries and restaurants in Kolkata.
What are the best romantic things to do in Kolkata?
If you are looking forward to spending a vivacious time in Kolkata with your significant other, make sure you are not missing out these places:
- Eco-Tourism Park: Located in the New Town area. Spread across 480 acres of land and surrounded by 104 acres of the water body, this park offers a quick escape to natural surroundings amidst the vast cityscape. Couples can enjoy various recreational activities here like Kayaking, Duo Cycling, Land and Water Zorbing, Shikara Riding and more.
- The Nicco Park: It is the place to be if you are looking out for some cheap thrills. Spread across 40 acres, this park offers myriad rides and attractions for the tourists to spend their time on. Some of the most popular rides in Nicco Park are Water Coaster, Moonraker, Cyclone, Paddle Boat, and Toy Train.
- Enjoying the Water Laser show at Mohar Kunj: It is certainly one of the most romantic things to do in Kolkata. Situated at the mighty premises of one of the most popular landmarks in Kolkata, Maidan, Mohar Kunj Park is the destination for a perfect romantic evening. Walk along the well-paved walkways and enjoy the celestial tunes of the beautiful musical fountains in Mohar Kunj.
- Gorge on a sumptuous buffet at the best restaurants in Kolkata: You can also try dining by the poolside at the Waterside Café in Hyatt Regency. You can try various other restaurants and bakeries in Kolkata, much like the famous Flurry’s in Park Street, the bakery known for serving a classic English breakfast.
What are the best adventure activities to do in and near Kolkata?
There are various places in and near Kolkata where you can catch up on some adventure activities that send a rush of adrenaline through your body. The points below elaborate on some of the best adventure activities in Kolkata:
- The Mandarmani Sea Beach at Mandarmani (120 KM from Kolkata City): It is a perfect place to enjoy activities like paragliding and parasailing. Mandarmani makes a perfect weekend getaway. You will also find the chance to engage in various adventure sports activities in the Digha Beach, one of the most popular tourist destinations 180 KM away from Kolkata.
- Darjeeling: the beautiful city nestled at the foothills of Himalayas, offers some of the best paragliding and parasailing options in the country. The beautiful city of Darjeeling, located at a distance of 616 KM from Kolkata is the epicenter of some of the best adventure activities. You can trek through the colorful Rhododendron and Magnolias forests in Sandakphu and Phalut. If you have the stomach for some of the greatest adventures, try white water rafting and kayaking in Darjeeling.
- Panchet Hill located in the Purulia District in West Bengal: It is the perfect destination for moderate mountain biking. If you are looking to catch up on some extreme mountain biking, you must head north to Darjeeling and Kalimpong.
What are the free things to do in Kolkata?
Kolkata is the best destination for a holiday if you are on a tight budget. There are a plethora of things to do in Kolkata for free some of which are listed below:
- Take a tour of one of the biggest book markets in all of Asia: If you are a book lover, the College Street in Kolkata will have you're spoilt for choice. If you are not a bookworm, you can still visit College Street to get a glimpse of the vintage, old-world Calcutta.
- Encounter the ghosts of the past in South Park Street Cemetery: This cemetery, opened in the year 1767, was used as a burial ground for the English. Explore various named and unnamed tombs from the 18th Century Calcutta; build in Indo-Saracenic Style of architecture. You will also find some notable tombs in the yard like that of Henry Louis Vivian Derozio (poet and teacher) and Colin Mackenzie (Surveyor General of Colonial India).
- Visit the iconic National Library: Established in the year 1836 as Calcutta Public Library and check out the huge collections of books and documents in various languages. The National Library is also a point of interest for individuals with a curious mind as it is regarded as one of the most haunted places in Kolkata.
- The ISKCON Temple: Located in Minto Park in Kolkata attracts people from every religion who come seeking the blessings of the Divine Almighty. The place is also popular for its vegetarian meals and cakes.
What are the best things to do in Kolkata with kids?
Listed below are some of the best ideas for a recreational day with kids in Kolkata.
- Take a tour of Science City: The largest science center in India. Feed the young brain with various fun exhibits and interactive pros in the galleries of Science City. The destination offers some of the most thrilling activities for the kids in various space theaters and galleries.
- Engross in water sports activities in Aquatica Amusement Park: The largest water theme park in all of Eastern Asia. The water park not only provides you the access to some of the most thrilling water rides to beat the summer heat, the water park also includes various eateries serving local meals and delicacies.
- If your kids adore pets, you must visit The Love Room: A pet-friendly café in Kolkata, located in the Tollygunj area. Fondle with adorable pets while you enjoy the best Chinese and Continental delicacies served hot.
- Visit Mother’s Wax Museum: Get your kids introduced to the wax statues of more than 50 world-famous celebrities in the Mother’s Wax Museum located in the New Town area in Greater Kolkata. The museum includes the wax statues of famous personalities in sports, literature, music, politics, science, spirituality, and movies. A visit to the wax museum is definitely one of the top things to do in Kolkata.
- Visit Zoological Gardens in Alipore: To top off the tour, you can take the kids to the Zoological Gardens in Alipore. The zoo, opened in 1876, is home to more than 1260+ animals. The zoo is one of the most visited points of interest in Kolkata, attracting around 3 million visitors each year.
What are the best sites for camping near Kolkata?
There are numerous picturesque sites in and near Kolkata that are suitable for camping. Some of them are listed below.
- Located at a distance of 237 KM from Kolkata, the scenic tribal village of Baranti is a perfect destination for camping, trekking and bird watching. Some of the major attractions near the village are the Baranti Reservoir, Muradi Dam and Baranti Hill.
- If you have a yen for rock climbing and are looking forward to some adventure activities to do in Kolkata, you can take a day’s trip to the Ajodhya Hills in the Purulia District in West Bengal. Explore the rich culture and traditions of the tribal villages and soak in the glomming beauty of the surrounding environment. It is one of the best places around Kolkata to go camping.
- One of the most sought-after camping spots near Kolkata is the beautiful mangrove forests of Sundarbans. Experience the unadulterated beauty of the mangroves as you make your way through the enchanting forests.
What are the best amusement parks to visit in Kolkata?
- Embark on a joyous escapade on some of the world-class rides in Nicco Park. The Nicco Park, located in Salt Lake Area in Kolkata, is one of the oldest established amusement parks in the city. The park boasts of having a diverse assemblage of land and water rides.
- Find a respite from the summer heat in Kolkata in the city’s only snow park located in New Town, Greater Kolkata. You can also check out the various rides and snow attractions which are well-liked by kids and adults alike.
- A family picnic in the Nalban Boating Park is sure to be one of the most popular things to do in Kolkata. This place is also known for its food court that serves a wide range of delicacies made of various fish items.
How is the Nightlife in Kolkata? What are some activities that can be done during night?
The Park Street and Salt Lake are the ultimate destinations for people who are looking forward to things to do in Kolkata. There are various pubs and restaurants in Kolkata which serve lip-smacking delicacies across various cuisines and if you are lucky, you can get the cheapest rates on your favorite drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. People who like to party in moderation can check out some of the best pubs in the city. You may also witness some great local bands come together to play classic rock and jazz live post-midnight.
If you are in the mood for making some whoopee post sundown in Kolkata, here are some of the places that you must check out.
- Watch the city come alive post sundown in Park Street! Park Street hubs some of the most happening party-houses in town. Some of the best ones that you can check out are Someplace Else, Roxy and Tantra.
- The Someplace Else, located in The Park, is where you can get the best offers on drinks. You also get 1+1 on drinks on selected days till 7 PM and up to 50% discounts on selected dishes.
- The Roxy attracts a buzzing crowd of youngsters post sundown each day. If you are looking forward to dancing all night to loud music, The Roxy would be a wise choice.
- The neon-lit Tantra is one of the hottest part destinations in town. The nightclub is one of the largest in the city with two bars, an area for hangout and a lively dance floor. You can get the most bang for your buck on food and drinks at Tantra.
- If you are on a budget but in a mood to party, you must go to the UG Reincarnate. This underground party spot offers free drinks till the morning. Groove to the beats while you cherish great food with free drinks at the counter.
What are the best places to try local food in Kolkata?
- Dying to get a taste of some of the famous local/ street foods in Calcutta? Make your way to the Vivekananda Park for some awesome puchkas and papri chaat. You can also try churmurs, a famous alternative for the famous puchka, in the alleys of Bhawanipore to the south of Kolkata.
- Sure, Park Street has some glitzy eateries and posh restaurants, but the street food in Park Street is no less of a delight to the taste buds. Try Kathi Rolls from Zaika, the shop in Park Street famous for offering mighty variations of hot Kathi Rolls in Kolkata.
- You can try out the Chinese breakfast at Tiretti Bazaar! Relish the authentic taste of soup and rice dumplings made by Chinese Indians. Be sure to arrive at the venue on time as the stock only lasts till 7 in the morning.
Which are some best places for shopping in Kolkata?
- The New Market area in Esplanade is one of the places to visit if you are not sure about what to do in Kolkata to get the best shopping deals. Get a good deal for shoes, apparel, cosmetics and home decors at the New Market.
- The Gariahat market is another beaming market place that attracts people in hordes. You can also buy items of utility like crockery and cutlery in Gariahat for cheap at half the rate.
- The Quest Mall at Park Circus is the destination you must go to. Besides shopping, the Mall also offers plenty of restaurants, gaming zones and a movie theatre for you to check out.
What is the best time to visit Kolkata?
The city of Kolkata warmly welcomes its visitors all throughout the year. However, there is nothing like witnessing the grandeur of Kolkata during the festive season. Therefore, the best time to visit Kolkata is between the months of October and February.
The ideal duration of the vacation in Kolkata can be 3 to 4 days.