Popular Things to Do in Jodhpur
Visit Mehrangarh Fort
The majestic Mehrangrah fort which rises above
the city is one of the largest forts in India.
The impregnable fort forms a picturesque backdrop to the city towering
over Jodhpur at 400 ft. The thick walls of the fort enclose several palaces
known for their intricate carvings and sprawling courtyards, elaborate
balconies, arched galleries, and heavily ornamented private residences.
Mehrangrah fort is also famous for it’s museum which is known to be one of the most well stocked museums in Rajasthan. The museum exhibits the heritage of the royalty in arms, costumes, paintings and decorated period rooms.
There are a wide array of things that Mehrangarh Fort is famous for, The Flying Fox is a zipline activity that will provide just the right amount of an adrenalin shot as well as a breather from the sometimes tedious palace tours. This beautiful fort is also home to a few temples such as the Chamundi Mataji Temple and the Nagnechiji Temple.
For an offbeat experience at the fort, make your way to the top of the fort by 3:30 pm every day as this is when they feed the wild kites and eagles which has been an ancestral tradition. The Mehrangrah fort is the highlight of a Jodhpur holiday and definitely demands a visit.
Location: The Fort, Paota, Jodhpur, Rajasthan 342006
Timing: 7 am to 5 pm
Price: Rs 100
Umaid Bhavan Palace
A luxury palace hotel, a working palace and a museum, the Umaid Bhavan Palace is a striking landmark of the city of Jodhpur and visiting it should definitely be added to your list of things to do in Jodhpur. Steeped in culture, history and royalty the Umaid Bhavan palace is home to Maharaja Gaj Singh and the royal family of Jodhpur. This magnificent palace was the last palace to be built in India.
The Umaid Bhavan palace basks in the glory of it’s one of a kind museum which has an unbelievable collect of vintage clocks and cars. Tourists from all over the world flock this monument to catch a glimpse of some of the most unique and rarest of artefactsThe Umaid Bhavan Palace is a popular spot for destination weddings as it's steeped in flare and grandeur adding to the festivity of any affair. The palace is also a venue for various fairs and festivals that take part around Jodhpur like the Marwar festival.
Bishnoi Village Safari
The Village Safari is arranged by Chhotaram Prajapati, a weaver, to show you sights of the village life, its culture, exotic wildlife and the arts and crafts exercised here by the residents. You can get a touch of the tribal India along with scenic panoramas of the village marked with Khejri trees and natural beauty.
The Guda Lake is visited by various wandering birds and animals including cranes, blackbucks, and chinkaras. It is a desert oasis where various animals come to rehydrate themselves. Get an insight of the art and crafts that these villagers build by hand. The villagers are faithful devotees of nature and pray to trees and animals as well.
Bishnoi Village safari is a wonderful way to experience the traditions and culture of tribal India. Get a glimpse of the natural beauty along with a range of migratory birds and animals in this area . You will be able to enjoy the art and craft in which they are engaged while trying your hands on them.
You can also see the cenotaph commemorating the Rathore rulers with their portraits hanging on the walls of the fort, dating back to as old as the 13th century. Just a few distance away from a lake, this place is serene and fills you with the calm and awe of the gorgeous architecture.
Location- Lawaran, Near Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur, Rajasthan- 342006
Charges- The entry fee for Indians is Rs 15/- per person and for Foreigners, it is Rs 30/- per person, with extra charges for cameras and camcorders.
Timings- The place is open for visits on all days of the week from 9 am to 5 pm.
Iconic Clock Tower
Ghanta Gar also known as the clock tower of Rajasthan is the Old City's famous landmark, stands at the heart of it and it's still working! The century-old clock tower is an old city landmark surrounded by the vibrant sounds, sights and smells of Sardar Market, which is marked by triple gateways at its northern and southern ends.
The narrow, winding lanes of the
old city spread out in all directions from here. Westward, you plunge into the
old city’s commercial heart, with crowded alleys and bazaars selling
vegetables, spices, sweets, silver and handicrafts.
About the Activity:
- Here is a chance to all of you to explore the famous blue city that is Jodhpur in Rajasthan with a 2 hours city walking tour.
- Witness the undying beauty and an old-world charm that is spread across this historic city.
- The tour begins with a pick up from Pal Haveli near the Clock Tower. A tuk tuk will take you towards the starting point of the city walk.
- Reach Brahmapuri, the starting point. It is an ancient Brahmin settlement that shows blue coloured walls on both the sides of the street.
- It is believed that Jodhpur got the name blue city after these blue walls.
- Continue walking towards a popular square called Nav Choukya. You will be able to meet the locals and have a conversation with them while walking.
- Explore the blue city well and know the history and its evolution before you wind up the tour after two hours of walking.
- You will be dropped back at Pal Haveli.
- There are three different time slots for this tour: 07:00 AM, 03:30 PM, and 04:30 PM. You can select the preferable time slot.
- The package includes activity, a guide, transport, and pick-up and drop.
End Point- Pal Haveli
Minimum of people required to book this package- 2.
The proximity of Jodhpur brings you close to Thar desert and here lies the camp in the oasis. This camp is located around 55 kms away from the city center and offers multiple amenities and activities to welcome their guests to let them enjoy a lavish stay. Golden sands are kissed by sun and stars while mesmerizing you with luxury and a gist of desert flavor.
- Get ready to take a sumptuous Rajasthani lunch and you will surely fall in love with it before you take some rest in comfortable Swiss tents.
- Various activities are waiting right there for you post 4 PM and lead to camel safari by evening. After coming back, get ready for some bonfire and snacks with Kalbeliya dance performance. Dance along and enjoy the moment.
- Enjoy some traditional cuisine and get lazy in the comfortable Swiss tents having attached washrooms and running hot water facility.
- Have yummy breakfast the next day and move back to your own den.
Minimum number of people required: 2
How To Reach?
The campsite is located 55 km from the city and you could reach the campsite by public transport or private transport. Its a 2-hour drive from the main city of Jodhpur.
CHECK OUT TIME: 09.30 AM
- Head out for an exploration of the beautiful villages in Jodhpur and also spot few of the rare species of birds in this tour.
- Get picked up from your hotel and get ready for the adventure ahead.
- Start your tour with a visit to the famous Salawas village which is famous as the Weavers village.
- Next head to the Kakani village which is famed as a potters and block printers.
- Then lastly visit the Gudha village where you can spot some of the species of birds.
- Meet the Bishnoi families once you reach the village and there enjoy a talk with them.
- Return back to Jodhpur after a thrilling day and cherish these memories forever.
Kaylana Lake is one of the ancient artificial lakes of Jodhpur built by Pratap Singh in 1872. The lake is a great place to enjoy some peaceful time away from the bustling city and the cool breeze along the lake is soothing. It takes about 30 minutes to two hours to enjoy sightseeing in this place.
On a lazy evening day, when you are clueless on what to do in Jodhpur, visit the Kaylana Lake during sunset and revel in the beauty of the lake that looks stunning with the golden rays of the sun spreading all over. There are not many eateries around the lake and hence, carry water and snacks to munch in, while relishing the lake’s beauty.
Location: 8 km west of Jodhpur
Timing: Open 24 hours on all days
Price: Free of cost
- Riding the state's most acclaimed animal is an exhilarating experience.
- Enjoy this amazing Camel Safari amidst the golden sand dunes of the Thar desert with your family or friends.
- Upon arrival at the location of activity, you will be welcomed in the traditional Rajasthani way.
- Also meet with the desert family, have tea with them, and understand the cultures and traditions in this royal state.
- Do not miss a visit to the ancient temple in Osian village nearby
The royal city of Jodhpur is undeniably one of the best food destinations in Rajasthan. The Jodhpuri cuisine is spicy and the sweets are made rich with lavish portions of dry fruits. The staple food of Jodhpur is the classic Dal Bati Churna and the must-try street foods are Pyaaz (onion) Kachauri, Mawa Kachauri, Mirchi Vada, Panchkula, and Makhaniya Lassi. Maakhan Vade, Mawa kachori, and Besan chikki dominate the sweets sections. For non-vegetarians, laal maans is the highlight. Get a food tour and head towards Pal Road, Clock Tower Market, C road Sardarpura, Mahalaxmi Misthan Bhandar, Nai Sarak, and Shanicharjika Than and treat yourself to the local dishes guilt-free.
Timing: Most of the street food points are open until 10.00 PM or 11.00 PM
Price: Rs. 950
A beautiful city in Rajasthan which is crowned with huge palace and heritage richness is what Jodhpur is. One must visit the streets, taste the delicious cuisines and enjoy the pleasant aura that Jodhpur offers to its visitors instantly. The blue color of city and multi color handicrafts will just be amazing to look for.
About the Activity:
- You will be meeting our guide or representative at the Clock tower, Jodhpur after which your trip is going to start in the streets.
- The old city of Jodhpur is flanked by narrow streets and multi-storey houses. It is totally distinct to view and observe the beauty of Jodhpur with the pace of cycles.
- Stay in touch with the guide who will keep on explaining you the prominence of royal city.
- Minimum number of people required to book this package is 2.
Desert Safari to Osian
Osian Desert is renowned for its intricately carved Jain and Hindu Temples, such as Surya Temple and Sachiya Mata Temple. Other than that, the desert served as an important trading center on the Silk Route between 8th and 12th centuries. Opting for camel-safari is one of the best things you can do here.
Attend Traditional Opium Ceremony
The Amal Sabha, a popular Opium ceremony, is said to be over a 1000 years old. It’s a ceremonial gathering that marks friendship. Traditionally women aren’t supposed to take part in the ceremony, a filtered opiate is soaked and first offered to Lord Shiva. Following this, all visitors sip the opiate from the palm of the eldest member of the group.
Highlights: Although now illegal in India, and forbidden by the views of the Bishnoi, the members still use it and have been given special consent from the Indian government to use opium for ‘religious’ purposes.
Legally, they are only allowed to use empty poppy pods, after the opium has been extracted for medical manufacturer.
Adventure Things to Do in Jodhpur
Glide over the endless landscapes of one of the largest forts in Rajasthan- the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur. Fly high over the outer fortifications of Rajasthan’s most majestic fortress, glide serenely over two desert lakes, trek through the Rao Jodha eco-park and enjoy the best view of Mehrangarh and the Blue City of Jodhpur. With Flying Fox, you get to see the view that most tourists miss!
Location: Flying Fox Jodhpur is located inside the fort in the beautiful Chokelao Gardens.
Timings: Operated daily from 9 AM to 5 PM.
Price: Approximate price starts from 1500 INR.
Jodhpur refers to a major visitor point that is based in Rajasthan and regarded as the 'Blue city' due to the mesmerizing charm of blue houses and structures that one gets to witness when in Jodhpur. Jodhpur delivers a great scope for adventure lovers by extending the set of various delightful activities to the visitors. Visitors get the chance to get the glimpses of the Blue city and undergo fun-filled activities when in Jodhpur.
About the Activity:
The Paragliding package in Jodhpur lets you grab the unique experience of Paragliding which would hold you spellbound with the adventure involved with the activity. Get ready to experience a once in a lifetime experience with this package which would take you to new heights and enjoy the thrill of paragliding in the desert state of Rajasthan with a 360 degrees birds-eye view.
The package is accompanied with 12+ years experienced and professional pilot who would make your journey even more joyous with supportive efforts. The guide would ensure utmost safety when you are undergoing the adventure activity. Besides, the package is also inclusive of all safety measures and equipment.
The adventurous activity lasts for 15-20 minutes.
We can reach a height of 800 to 1100 feet above ground level. This height gives a three-dimensional view of the earth.
Nov – Mid Feb: 7.30 in the morning till 5.50 in the evening
Mid-Feb – April: 7.30 -11.00in the morning, 4.00- 6.00 in the evening.
Mid-April – June: 6.30 - 8.00 in the morning, 5.00- 7.00 in the evening.
July – Oct: 7.30 -11.00 in the morning, 4.00- 6.00 in the evening.
How to Reach:
The activity area is 40Kms from Jodhpur, and you can conveniently reach the location with the help of public and private transportation.
- Get picked up from Shiv Mandir, Jailsalmer road near Soorsagar and be ready to satiating your urge for adventure.
- Soorsagar is an adventurous hot spot near Jodhpur for unending enjoyment and thrill.
- Save your energy for a well equipped training for the rappelling.
- Rappel through the tallest rocks of about 30 feet and 110 feet in Soorsagar to feel the adrenaline rush.
- This 1 hour of rappelling in Soorsagar will definitely hold a trail of memories for you.
- Rajasthan boasts its undulating landscape which is dominated by the golden sand dunes and this three day camp in Jodhpur will sufficiently absorb the energy and charm of you.
- This camping experience comes to you along with an extensive sightseeing ticket that includes the visit to two ethnic communities as well.
- Bask in the alluring sun set views which make Rajasthan shine in the evening; relish the glittering ambiance while you ride a camel through the desert.
- The package includes food and accommodation in tents. The check-in time is 02:00 PM and check-out time is 10:00 AM.
- There are two packages viz. Budgeted and Luxury.
serenity and tranquility of Rajasthan with a farm picnic lunch in this
colourful state! You will start from the hotel with a drive for about 3 km where the camels will wait for you to climb aboard to embark on a fun journey!
Jump on the camel’s back and ride to the local Thakur Saabs farm where you can relax
in the open fields under the Neem tree. Get familiar with the local spices and
the traditional cooking methods and join your hosts on a stroll through the
farm during which you'll learn more about life on the farm, the crops and their
seasons and local farming practices
Meal Types: Breakfast
Activities: Camel Safari, Local spices tour and traditional cooking methods
- If you love adventure and want to enroll for some adventure activity near Jodhpur, then this tour is the perfect fit for you.
- Get a pick up near the Bhim Bhadak Temple, Kailana Road and set out for your adventurous tour with ultimate thrill and excitement.
- Involve in the training session for rock climbing, rappelling and trekking, as the guide will explain the basics and the safety measures for the activities.
- Enjoy Boulder Climbing, Different styles of Rock climbing, Rappelling and trekking for about 3 hours before you conclude your tour.
- You will be picked up from Chopasni school in Jodhpur and the trekking is one hour long; be a part and feel a different adventure.
- Trekking in Chaupasni village definitely takes you to the height of adventure and thrill amalgamated.
- Take the whole energy in you out for a two and half hours long trekking and carry the best moments back home.
- There will be trainers to accompany you on your way and never be afraid of the tough paths.
Invite the Arabian nights to India with a
thrilling camel safari in Samsara and revel in the fun and thrilling experience
here in Rajasthan; the state of colours and royalty in India! The Thar Desert
in Rajasthan can be explored using camels, guaranteed to give you an experience
of a lifetime! Explore the rustic side of Rajasthan, an adventure that will be
in your memories forever! Witness the golden dunes of Rajasthan and see a
glimpse into the desert lifestyle!
Meal Types: Dinner
Activities: Camel Safari
Things to Do in Jodhpur with Family
The desert is one of the most peaceful places to be during your holidays or in fact any time of the year! Join your family and friends as you head for a fun and exciting bush dinner and dinner on the dunes in the deserts of Jodhpur! As daylight slowly fades away and night time approaches, your evening drive through the Thar will reach its destination at aclosely selected location. Perfect as a surprise, celebration or special event, a three-course Bush Dinner will be served as the stars gradually appear from the sky! Far from any distractions of the modern world, in the warm company of the fireplace and our hospitable servers, a Bush Dinner is a truly unforgettable experience. The evening is set against the backdrop of mesmerizing folk singers and graceful dancers. The food prepared on site is glorious, the experience as majestic as music floats and the stars bear down on you, a night like this is an experience that's unmatched.
Meal Types: Dinner
Activities: Cultural show and Dinner
- Get picked up from Jalori gate and commence your walk to old Jodhpur bazaars.
- Saunter along the old bazaars in Jodhpur which are sunk in typical dark colours of Rajasthan for two and a half hours.
- Observe the trade done by spice sellers, grocery merchants, milk and Indian cheese producers, tie and dye textile owners, jewellery owners and so on.
- Reinvent the unique pieces of arts and crafts in many shops arrayed in the streets and relish the beauty of shopping.
- Fetch the opportunity to mingle with the village residents and know more about the evolution of the blue city.
- Taste some indigenous cuisines and snacks like Misri Mawa and Lassi while you explore the variant stalls and street shops.
Shop at Tripolia Market
What is a list of things to do in Jodhpur if it does not include street shopping? Tripolia Market is one of the busiest Jodhpur markets that give you a teaser about the rich Rajasthani culture and heritage. Despite bustling with lively market activities, the lanes of the market are well-organized; each lane selling one particular kind of a thing. The shops at the bazaar look colourful with items like Bandhej apparel, traditional Rajasthani lac jewellery, silver trinkets, and vibrant Rajasthani jootis.
One can also shop for souvenirs like antique items, marble figurines, puppets, brassware, handicrafts, authentic Rajasthani artefacts, everyday-use utensils, beautiful carpets, and bright wall-hangings. While shopping at the Tripolia Bazar, do not hesitate to bargain for half the quoted price as the items are usually priced higher for tourists.
Location: Tripolia Road, Jodhpur
Timings: 10.00 AM - 11.00 PM
Price: No entry cost
Sardar Government Museum
If you are interested in knowing the rich history of Jodhpur, visiting the Sardar Government Museum is one of the best activities to do in Jodhpur. Sardar Government Museum was built by Maharaja Umaid Singh and it lies in the centre of Umaid Bagh, also known as the Public Park. The museum is divided into four sections - the archaeological section, the armoury section, arts and crafts section, and the historical section.
The museum has weapons, textiles, miniature paintings, inscriptions, sculptures, metallic objects, arts and crafts, antiques, military plane models and battleships on display. If you are travelling with kids, take them to the part of the museum where stuffed animals and birds are kept on display; and they will enjoy witnessing it.
Location: Maliyo St, Baldev Ram Mirdha, Paota, Sri Ganganagar, Jodhpur
Timing: 9.00 AM - 7.00 PM Saturday to Thursday. Closed on Fridays and public holidays
Price: INR 5.00 per person
Jodhpur, based in Rajasthan, constitutes a series of creative village habitations and a promising food culture that are a must to explore if you cannot afford to miss while you wish to encounter the true Rajasthani art and cultural composition. The location refers to a major visitor point which is regarded as the 'Blue City' due to the mesmerizing charm of blue houses and structures that one gets to witness when in Jodhpur. Jodhpur is famous for its wide variety of relishing food items that mark the authentic taste of the location which is sure to blow your minds with some amazing taste.
About the Activity:
The Jodhpur Cooking Workshop lets you grab the authentic taste of Jodhpur and encounter the special dishes that mark the uniqueness of the city. Besides grabbing the taste, you also get a chance to know and learn the recipes of the dishes and make the dishes with your own hands.
The package lets you learn the recipes of 10 delicious dishes which are famous in Jodhpur. You are entitled to learn dishes such as Paneer Butter Masala, Eggplant Curry, Dal Tadka, Veg Biryani, Safron pulao, Paneer pakoda, Onion pakoda, Chappaties, Butter Naan, Gatta curry, Ladyfinger, Dal Baati Churma.
The package is inclusive of an experienced and local instructor who would guide you throughout the activity and teach you how to prepare the dishes. Also, the package includes mineral water in order to provide you with good quality water. In addition, the package provides grocery and food items that are necessary for the activity.
Timings: There are two convenient time slots for the activity-
9 am to 12:30 pm
5 pm to 8:30 pm
Note: Minimum of 2 persons are required to book this activity.
Stroll at Ranisar Lake
Ranisar Lake was built in the 15th century under the orders of Queen Jasmade Hadi, and a walk along this beautiful lake is the answer to what to do in Jodhpur in the morning. This historical Ranisar Lake has become a great hangout spot for locals and tourists alike.
The environment around the lake is peaceful and the cool breeze fills the air. In the evenings, the views of the majestic Mehrangarh Fort from the banks of the lake are mesmerizing. The lake gets extremely crowded during the weekends and hence you can plan your visit accordingly to avoid the rush.
Location: Fate Pole Road, Near Mehrangarh Fort, Chand Bawari, Sodagaran Mohalla, Jodhpur
Timing: Open all-day
Price: No entry cost
- Leave behind the hustle and bustle of the city, and set out over a dune safari for a delicious lunch.
- Indulge in a camel ride which will lead you to the thrilling journey – over the sand dunes, and through the Thar Desert.
- Experience the aspects of traditional life of the vicinity with mythical and timeless beauty of Prata Nager in Osian.
- After the camel ride enjoy your champagne toast and high tea. After sunset depart back to Jodhpur.
Take a walk at Mandore Gardens
Mandore Garden is one of the most overlooked tourist attractions in Jodhpur. Apart from the verdant lawns, this monument boasts of some architecturally extravagant pieces that are sure to blow your mind. The cenotaphs of the Rajput rulers look stunningly brilliant despite the test of time.
Then, there is a Hall of Heroes which has statues, sculptures, and paintings of the victorious Rajput rulers and the Hall of Deities which is adorned with statues, sculptures, and paintings of gods who were worshipped in that glorious era. A Hindu temple, known as the ‘Temple of 33 crore gods‘, a government museum, the Mandore Palace and Fort on a hilltop lie within the Mandore Gardens as ruins and the list of things to do in Jodhpur is never complete without visiting the Mandore Gardens.
Location: Mandore, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Timing: 09.00 AM - 10.00 PM on all days
Price: Free entry for Garden, INR 50 per person for museum entry
Jodhpur offers a lot in store for every adventure enthusiast. And, the thing which no tourists should miss on their to the Sun City is a desert camel safari. So get ready to ride through the dunes, watch the sunset, savor lip-smacking dinner and take home memories for a lifetime!
About the campsite:
The campsite is a permanent base camp, located in Osian village which is around 62 km from Jodhpur. Nestled in sand dunes, this campsite promises luxurious camping in Jodhpur experience that may have only be enjoyed by the privileged royal backs in the day. These camps are the most impeccable offbeat retreat in the folds of deserts and wilderness.
Highlights of the tour:
-Reach the campsite by 5:00.
-You will be greeted by a welcome drink.
-Explore the amazing beauty of the sand dunes with a camel safari.
-After that, return to the campsite and enjoy a soul-stirring cultural program.
-Savor a delicious dinner with your loved ones while enjoying the picturesque sights if the sand dunes.
How to reach?
The campsite is located in Osian village, Jodhpur, You can easily get public and private transportation to reach the location.
Timings: 5:00 pm
Minimum capacity: 2
Visit Balsamand Lake
Balsamand Lake was built in 1159 AD by Balak Rao Parihar as a water reservoir for Mandore. Today, soaking in the beauty and serenity of Balsamand Lake is one of the major things to do in Jodhpur. The massive lake is situated amongst a lush, landscaped garden full of tall pomegranate, guava and mango trees.
The domed embankments around the lake let you spend a peaceful time amidst nature. The tranquillity of the place invites many birds here; one can spot a blue bull or a peacock or a bat easily at the lake. The beautiful palace overlooking the lake is converted into a heritage hotel now.
Location: Jodhpur-Mandore Road
Timing: 6.00 AM - 8.00 PM on all days
Price: No entry cost
Other Things to Do in Jodhpur
Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park
The Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park was developed in 2006, with the aim of restoring the natural ecology of a large rocky wasteland area next to the Fort. Neglected for many years, it was overrun by an invasive thorny shrub. After the shrub was eradicated, over 80 native species of rock-loving plants from the Thar Desert were grown there. The Park extends across 70 hectares (around 200 acres) of rehabilitated land and has a walking trail. It's interesting to explore at different times of the year, as its foliage changes with the seasons.
Jodhpur is an exquisite city steeped with culture,
history, ravishing monuments and a wide array of attractions. One will never
run out of things to do in Jodhpur
as this city is always alive. The city of Jodhpur is always hosting festivals
and fairs like the Nagaur Fair which is the second largest in India and is held
around the months of Jan-Feb every year. Flocked with locals and tourists alike
Jodhpur is blanketed in colorful and chaotic beauty. Everywhere you go you’ll
find beaming and smiling faces in Jodhpur, this city is pure at heart and will
only lure you in with it’s one of a kind aura.
The few things to do in Jodhpur will never suffice a hungry traveler’s heart. There is so much more to this majestic city every inch of which cradles an attraction, a monument or a piece of history. The number of palaces in Jodhpur are innumerable each so exquisite in it’s own special way and each grander than the other.
The city houses many iconic attractions that have to be visited Delve in the magic of Jodhpur and discover, explore and thrive in the rich culture. All in all Jodhpur is the perfect tourist destination being an amalgamation of different travel experiences.
Explore Chand Baori
Chand Baori is one of the ancient step-wells in India that was built by King Chanda in the 9th century. This captivating stepwell is 64 feet deep with 13 floors and is India's largest and deepest stepwell. The narrow steps on the sides of the well are built in a unique pattern with the utmost precision to form a maze-like structure.
The steps on three sides of the well descend to the water while the fourth side is adorned with a three-storeyed pavilion decked up with beautifully carved jharokhas, galleries supported on pillars and two projecting balconies. Chand Baori is a hidden gem near Jodhpur and exploring this monument is one of the most fascinating experiences amongst other activities to do in Jodhpur.
Location: Abhaneri, Rajasthan
Timing: 08.00 AM - 06.00 PM on all days
Price: INR 40 per person
About the Activity:
- Unravel the charm and essence of the golden Thar Desert.
- This full day tour around the villages of Jodhpur is especially crafted to make you acquainted with the life and culture of the desert.
- Following your pick-up from the meeting point at around 8:00 AM, drive through the rustic tracks of the villages and reach the local settlements.
- Interact with the native people, be their guest and get a feel of their culture and traditional lifestyle. Discover the peace and harmony among the different communities.
- A picnic lunch in the afternoon will keep your energy and enthusiasm alive and post this, visit one of the nearby villages.
- Take part in their different ceremonies and be a part of their delightful ceremonies and celebrations.
Visit Toorji ka Jhalra
Toorji Ka Jhalra is another stepwell in Jodhpur that was built by a queen of Maharaja Abhay Singh in 1740s. The stepwell looks clean and accessible today after a restoration drive. The steps on the sides of the wall are in a pattern that photography at this stepwell is one of the most common things to do in Jodhpur for tourists. There are cafes around the Toorji ka Jhalra stepwell to enjoy a hot cup of ‘chaai’.
Location: Sutharo Ka Bass Rd, Gulab Sagar Makrana Mohalla, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Timing: Open always
Price: No entry cost
Dine at RAAS
RAAS Jodhpur is one of the high-end heritage hotels that is built around an original Rajputana haveli and the interiors and exteriors of the hotel echoes the rich Rajput style of architecture. The BARADARI restaurant of the hotel offers Thai cuisine, Mediterranean-inspired dishes, and authentic Rajasthani specialities.
Head to DARIKHANA restaurant, if you are in the mood for some al-fresco dining or to THE STEPWELL HOUSE CAFE to enjoy a beguiling dining experience. This plush hotel also arranges private dining on the property's landscaped garden or by the poolside with a tailor-made menu.
Location: RAAS JODHPUR, Tunwar ji ka Jhalra, Makrana Mohalla, Gulab Sagar, Jodhpur
Timing: Open all day
Price: Rs 6000/- for 2 people
About the activity:
- Live the real experience of cooking in Rajasthani style with this activity. You will meet the house owner with a warm welcome and learn the basics of Indian food.
- Along with the same, you get to know how to Make A Indian Tea , Saffron Lassi, Chutney ,Vegetable , chapatis, naan, raita, biryani rice and a paneer curry. Also sweet dishes like Gulab jamun and Kheer will wait for you as well.
- Local environment will be at its best as you enjoy cooking and eating together in a family where kids are roaming around and elders are sipping their hot tea.
- Timings available for the activity: 9.00 AM, 2.00 PM or 5.00 PM. Choose any according to your preference.
*NOTE: Minimum number of people required are 2 and maximum number are 6.
How to reach?
The home address of the host will be shared with you right after the confirmed bookings. It is easy to reach here by your own vehicle or local auto.
Offbeat Things to do in Jodhpur
About the Activity:
- Set in the distinct topography of extreme temperatures in Marwar region, a part of Jodhpur, is the quintessential rustic Rajasthani village dominated by farming communities.
- Their orderly clean mud homes contained in small compounds along with brightly coloured folks wearing stunning traditional jewellery, makes this isolated Banjara community most attractive.
- On this guided tour of around 5 hours, you have the rare opportunity to visit the heartland of the Banjara community, get smitten by their contagious warmth and welcoming smiles, as you get an insight into their fascinating lives.
- Around 3:30pm, you’ll be transferred from your hotel in Jodhpur to the marvelous land of Marwar.
- As you saunter through rustic dwellings listening to intriguing legends, you’ll be inspired by a life pattern co-existing alongside yours.
- The inhabitants here are simple and hardworking. Witness local traditions, observe skillful women folk maintain work-home-life balance, partake in some of their daily chores, indulge in their cuisine, and merely absorb their tremendous energy filled with enthusiasm for life.
- Commence your tour at 7 AM in the morning.
- Enjoy cycling through the best roads, alleys around the houses and the historic sites.
- Learn about the lifestyle of the people which plays a vital role in designing the culture as you continue your tour.
- Explore the various Step wells and Jhalra and learn about their history.
- Cycle through the the
Blue city, The Sun City and The Walled City and learn about the place.
- Learn about the Royalties and how it transformed from the days of Ramayana.
- Enjoy delicious Marwari Cuisine before ending your tour at 9 AM.
Minimum number of people required- 2
About the Activity:
Fixed Departure: The tour starts from Chandpole Gate between 8 am to 3 pm daily
- Discover a city that was planned in the form of a human body, where every part of it resembles different organs of the body.
- Bask in three hours of walking through the historic lanes of Jodhpur, the Blue City, and witness how history was recreated.
- Assemble near the Chandpole Gate; join this guided walking tour during any time of the day between 8 am to 3 pm.
- Start the trail with a spiritual visit to the historic Krishna Temple located at the heart of Jodhpur.
- After meeting the priest’s family, proceed towards the narrow yet lively lanes of the Blue City, interact with the locals and discover some of the untold stories and tales about the place.
- Here onwards, visit the ancient wells that have played a pivotal role among the natives of Jodhpur.
- On the completion of the heritage visits, it will be time to savour the flavoursome sweets. Savour Gulab Jamun, Mave ki Kachori and other delicacies of Jodhpur.
- Enhance this tantalizing experience with a visit to the community kitchen and Krishi Mandi (Grain Market). With your arrival at the Clock Tower, this historical and heritage walk will come to an end.
Let the myriad flavours of Rajasthan come alive as you bask in an authentic village experience.Your unique sojourn would begin sometime in the evening and would last for around 6 hours.
Begin with a 30 km drive from Jodhpur to the village (colloquially called Dhanis). After a traditional welcome, take a walk with the village chief to witness the different activities that take place here. On this guided walk, you visit the potter's and weaver's homes to see engaging sights of expert artisans at work. After absorbing the day to day scenes and sights of the village, participate in an old Rajasthani ceremony and subsequently join the chief at the temple for the evening prayers. In the evening, enjoy a festive ambience of folk music and dancing illuminated by a bonfire. Just before dinner, you get a Rajasthani cooking demonstration that titillates your senses for a sumptuous dinner ahead. It is prepared by the chief’s wife using ingredients indigenous to this region.
Duration: 6 hours (evening)
About the Activity:
Experience the serenity and tranquility of Rajasthan with a unique bird watching experience in Kicchan! The sleepy town of Khicchan, 4 kms from Phalodi is a sleepy town off the main tourist track and is well known for Bird watching. Every year though, around the month of August, it is the turn of Demoiselle Cranes of Eurasia and Mongolia to migrate to Khicchan in Rajasthan. The local people consider themselves the cranes' guardians here. Khicchan has become a natural sanctuary for these winged angels Bird watching has become a major attraction for travelers. Packed breakfast can be arranged from the hotel in case the guest wants to go in their vehicle. Jeeps can also be arranged from the hotel for guided tours.
- Get picked up from the Mountbatten lodge in Ranakpur and take a jeep excursion to sunset point on a thrilling journey.
- Experience the aspects of traditional life of the vicinity with mythical and timeless beauty over the sand dunes.
- After the jeep ride enjoy the sparkling champagne at sunset point with your loved ones.
- If you are looking for some real Rajasthani experience, this tour is a perfect fit for you.
- Indulge in this amazing night in Osian, Rajasthan and get a chance to see the colors of authentic Rajasthani culture.
- Get welcomed with 'tika and aarti' and sit around the bonfire as you enjoy the Rajasthani folk music and dance.
- Relish a delicious buffet of authentic Rajasthani cuisine while you relax and enjoy the dances performances.
- End your trip with lots of memories.
- The activity starts with a pick up from hotesl in Jodhpur and the starting point of the trek.
- Experience this one of a kind adventurous yogic activity in the beautiful mountain range of Aravali.
- These trekking activities are usually for around 2 hours depending upon the place you choose for trekking.
- The trekking and yoga session will provide the perfect connection with nature and transcend you to serenity.
- These treks are safe for women too, as they will accompanied by a female trainer along with professional mountaineers.
About the tour:
-Discover your way around Jodhpur's highlights with ease and air-conditioned comfort on this private half-day sightseeing tour. Travel between famous sights in a private Sedan/SUV car with a personal driver, which is also a storyteller that will give you a personalized experience and tell you interesting stories about the places.
-Flexible pick-up and drop-off are included with entry fees at your expense.
Time duration: 4 hours
- Get picked up from the Mountbatten lodge in Ranakpur and take a horse ride to sunset point on a thrilling journey.
- Experience the aspects of traditional life with mythical and timeless beauty over the sand dunes riding a horse.
- After the horse safari enjoy the sparkling champagne at sunset point with your loved ones.
- Then return back to your preferred location.
- Watch the beautiful dusk spreading the light red colour on the hot sand and have a glimpse at the glittering desert for a while.
- Engross on a royal safari on the ship of desert for some time and make the evening an unforgettable one.
- Observe some local tribes living nearby, interact with them to know more about their lifestyle and culture.
- Relish the beautiful sight of Thar desert by spending some time walking through the sand.