In Maharashtra or even in Lonavala in particular, you must always carry a liquor license that can be availed from the Govt. Civil Hospital. Some of the districts here have imposed a strict ban on alcohol.
The legal drinking age in Mumbai is:
18 for wine
21 for beer and
25 for any other forms of liquor.
Tiger’s Leap is one of the most important tourist destinations in Lonavala
. Tourists come here in large numbers and never do they leave without being mesmerized by the wondrous view of the city from over 650 meters. Echo point here is another major attraction here. During the monsoon season, there is a waterfall here that allures many. The Tiger Leap gets its name from its very appearance. It looks as if the tiger is leaping into the valley.
Bushi Dam is situated just a few km ahead of Lonavala. It is popular weekend getaway for the people working or living in Pune.
Karla Caves is a visual hit. It puts forth an equal fight between the nature and the artistic excellence of a man in a race to supremacy. Of course, the nature is undeniably the ultimate winner. However, the architectural brilliance of a man cannot be underprized in any way. It is a true exemplary of the artisanship of man from the 80 BC.
Lion’s Point is a hit destination amongst the nature lovers. The magnificent views of the deep valley enveloped by lush green surroundings and a myriad of waterfalls may make your heart skip a beat or two.
Bhaja Caves are over 2200 years old. They are one of the most ancient centers of Buddhists in the world. The best time to visit the caves is during the monsoon season as the place is blooming in glory.
Lonavala is one of the most preferred destinations amongst the locals of Mumbai as well as the tourists. Being Maharashtra’s resort town, it has a variety of luxury resorts where you can go, relax, eat and unwind with your family or loved one. It is definitely one of the best ways to spend a weekend in Maharashtra. Make sure you book for the resorts in advance as the place is usually crowded during the weekends.
Picnic at the Lonavala Lake
Lonavala Lake is a beauty in itself. It is surrounded by the lush green plants and trees that make it an ideal destination for group picnics. Carry with you a basket of cookies and chips along with a racquet and shuttle or some board games and you are set for a Sunday picnic.
Chikki or the Chocolate Fudge
Lonavala is incredibly popular for its chikki or the chocolate fudge. These sweet treats account for excellent souvenirs to be carried back home from here. Kids love it and adults cannot refrain themselves from it either.
Wax Museum is a recent addition working best to accentuate the popularity of Lonavala. It has statues of various celebs and definitely deserves a visit whenever you are here in Lonavala.
Lonavala is a great place for all year round visit, but nothing beats the scenery and ambience during the monsoons.
- Lonavala is as stunning as it can be in the monsoon months of June to September. The dams and waterfalls are full to overflow, and you can lose yourself in the greenery and the foggy, hazy climate. For the occupants of Mumbai and Pune, going to Lonavala amid the storm is very nearly a yearly custom.
- October to February, then again, is perfect climate for some touring and going on short treks in Lonavala. The couple of weeks soon after the finish of rainstorm, this place offers lovely greenery without the ceaseless downpours, which makes it charming and agreeable to go in the town.
Lonavala is easily accessible from both Pune and Mumbai, so you can consider taking transport from either places, Mumbai is of course, the more popular one.
- Nearest airport - The nearest airport is the Mumbai international airport located at a distance of 100 kms (2 hours) from Lonavala.
- Best way to reach (from Mumbai) - The best way to reach Lonavala is by cab. The cab costs range from 2000 INR to 2500 INR (30-40 USD).
- Trains are also available from Mumbai or Pune to Lonavala station the costs vary as per bookings and pre-bookings.
Lonavala is known for its picturesque scenery, forts and various points. Here are some of the best places to visit and things to do in Lonavala.
- Tigers point - At a height of 650 metres, this is one of the most popular tourist spots with a breathtaking view. It is located 4 kms from Lonavala city.
- Bushi Dam - Relax by the Bushi dam near Lonavala located at a distance of 3 kms from the city.
- Rajmachi Fort - A fort located between Lonavala and Khandala, has an alluring view especially during the monsoons.
- Narayani Dham - A beautiful temple of Goddess Durga located 2 kms from the central city attracts many tourists and devotees to visit this holy sanctuary.
- Karla Caves - Explore the intriguing Karla caves, a famous tourist destination located at a distance of 11 kms from the Lonavala city.
- Camping - If you desire some adventure, you can camp at a campsite location 8 kms away from the Lonavala city.
Resorts in Lonavala are a complete treat for families/friends who come to relax and wish to have precious moments to themselves.
Here are some resorts which you can visit at your stay in Lonavala.
- Upper deck resort - A luxurious resort with an awesome view is located 5 kms from the Lonavala city.
- The Machan - Enjoy a perfect holiday amidst nature at the Machan with rooms built on trees. It is located at a distance of 17 kms from Lonavala city.
- Della Resorts - Experience a luxurious and relaxing stay at the Della resorts located 5 kms from the Lonavala city.
- Lagoona Resort - A beautiful resort with over the top amenities and hospitality. It is located 3 kms from the Lonavala city.
- Fariyas Resort - With modern interiors and activities for all you can enjoy a pleasurable stay here. It is located at a distance 3 kms from Lonavala city.
- Picaddale Resort - If you want a comfortable stay right in the heart of Lonavala city, then this resort is the best option for you.
Local cuisines include speciality-dhabas and modified traditional dishes. These are some of the best places to experience cuisines.
- Hotel Chandralok - Offers delicious authentic Indian food and specialises in Gujarati dishes.
- Sheetal da dhaba - Enjoy lip smacking Punjabi food at this Dhaba .
- Picadore - A restaurant at Picaddale resort where you can enjoy tasty North Indian, South Indian and Continental cuisines.
- Kinara Dhaba - Relish a sumptuous meal with a village ambience at Kinara Dhaba.
- Rama Krishna - Popular for it South Indian food, it also offers North Indian cuisine.
Lonavala is a very transport-friendly place and public transport is also very easy and quick.
- There are auto rickshaws which are the most convenient to tour the central city.
- Buses are also a cheap mode of public transport. Private cabs are available to commute to the tourist points like Tiger’s point, Rajmachi fort, Karla caves etc.
- However, you can explore Central Lonavala by foot also as it is a small town.
Although Lonavala is more of a scenic place than a place for shopping, you can always consider buying the speciality which Lonavala offers.
- ‘Chikki’ and ‘Fudge’ are famous sweet-dishes available at Lonavala. If you have a sweet tooth, you can enjoy various types of Chikkis made with dry fruits and chocolates.
- The city is full of shops to purchase these items. Maganlal is one of the popular centres with a chain of shops all round Lonavala. They can offer the best if you want to relish their Chikki and Fudge.
Lonavala never ceases to satisfy the trekkers and adventure lovers. Here are some of the best trekking trails in Lonavla.
- Lohadgad trek - You will love the lavish greenery cover and little wild blooming flowers along the course of this trek. It's a basic and simple trek for all age groups.
- Rajmachi fort trek - Rajmachi is one of the popular trekking goal in Sahyadri mountains and one of the most loved trekking experience. It lies at a height of 2750 feet by the Bhor Ghat Pass.
- Koraigad trek - Have a great time at the lovely trek to Korigad Fort, situated around 20 km from Lonavala in Pune District. This notable Koraigad fort is situated at a height of around 929m over the ocean level. Some portion of Shivaji's heritage, this fortress held a vital part amid his rule.
- Tikona fort trek - Enjoy the breathtaking view of the Pawana lake and dam while trekking to the Tikona fort.
Lonavala is at a shorter distance from Pune, but the access from Mumbai is better!
- Lonavala is located at a distance of 100 kms from Mumbai city. Mumbai has the most easily accessible and convenient modes of transport to Lonavala.
- Pune is located at a distance of 80 kms from Lonavala. You can reach Lonavala by train/cab/bus easily.
Bonding by the campfire is one of our favourite activities and Lonavala won’t deprive you of the opportunity. Listed below are camping sites in Lonavala:-
- Adventure camps at Lonavala - With weather proof tents and airbeds, we guarantee you a fun stay here.
- Family Leisure camp, Aundoli, Lonavala - Experience nature alongside lush greenery at this campsite near Lonavala.
- Monsoon camping at Lonavala - A lovely camping site with a tranquil landscape located at a distance 7 kms from the Lonavala city.
Fireflies, amazing views and awesome scenery - this is what night trekking in Lonavala has to offer.
- Koarigad Night trek Lonavala - Escape the heat with a cool night on a mountain in Lonavala, with the combination of panoramic scenes, open air campfire supper, grill, starry night and fun activities at midnight to end with the rising sun. Located at Koraigad fort near Ambey valley at a distance of 24 kms from Lonavala city, this places you leaves with memories unlimited.
- Rajmachi Night trek Lonavala - Rajmachi night trek is considered a standout amongst the most energizing and perseverance testing treks. In this trek you will need to walk around 18 Kms one way. As you wake up at the campground, the view is very astounding. Their tents are best in class providing you with adequate ventilation. The following day is when you wake up with a view of rising sun from the mountains while cool and natural air add to the surreal experience.