San Diego Zoo
- The San Diego Zoo, a 100-acre wildlife park that opened its doors in 1961 is home to more than 12,000 rare and endangered animals that represent more than 650 species and subspecies.
- The Zoo is a certified botanical garden that cares for more than 700,000 different plants, including a noteworthy collection of around 13,000 carefully selected specimens that represent 3,100 species.
- You can enjoy many exhibits, including the Polar Bear Plunge, Gorilla Tropics, Ituri Forest, Scripps Aviary, and many more while visiting this attraction which is one of the best zoos in the USA.
- One of the biggest metropolitan zoos in the world, the renowned Bronx Zoo in New York, is spread out across 265 acres.
- The Bronx Zoo's collection features animals from across the globe, including small toads from Tanzania and large cats from the Russian Far East and many more.
- It shelters more than 10,000 animals from 700 species and you may get up close and personal with the African wildlife, including the chest-thumping western lowland gorillas, in the glass-enclosed rainforest habitat.
- Don't miss out on the chance to see the Siberian tigers, the lemurs, and the Komodo dragons.
- Spanning across 750 acres of land, Zoo Miami is the only subtropical zoo in the United States.
- It also happens to be the largest zoo in Florida, housing 3,000 animals, many of which are tropical species that thrive in Florida's warm environment and have more than 100 exhibits.
- The zoo's air-conditioned monorail, which makes four stops at the various habitats, is a terrific way to go through the park conveniently.
- You can spot animals such as Asian elephants, clouded leopards, komodo dragons and are allowed to feed some of them such as Indian rhinos, giraffes and camels.
San Francisco Zoo, San Francisco
- San Francisco Zoo is one of the best zoos in the USA and offers views of vibrant-hued birds, wild creatures, and unique vegetation.
- The zoo is set across an area of land with gorgeous and tranquil gardens that are roughly 100 acres large.
- You will find more than 2,000 extraordinary, rescued, and threatened wild animal species here.
- The Primate Discovery Center features black howler monkeys, chimpanzees, macaques, mandrills, and more.
- The Cat Kingdom features Indian rhinoceroses, hippopotamuses, African lions, snow leopards, Sumatran tigers, and anacondas.
Brookfield Zoo, Chicago
- When making travel plans to Chicago, you should not miss the chance to visit the Brookfield Zoo.
- Located in the western suburb of Brookfield, it houses the most diverse collection of tropical fauna in an area of 216 acres.
- The year-round Tropical World exhibit here is home to a diverse range of exotic animals with the monkeys taking center stage.
- The group includes orangutans and gibbons from Asia, lowland gorillas and colobus monkeys from Africa, and tamarins and spider monkeys from South America.
- The Brookfield Zoo also has an Animal Ambassador Program that allows visitors to interact closely and personally with specific animals.
- Denver zoo is home to more than 3,000 creatures from 450 different species including bears, Amur tigers, Asian elephants, and the unique Stingray Cove.
- An American black bear was given as a present to the mayor of Denver in 1896, and that gift eventually sprang out into the Denver Zoo, one of the top zoos in the USA.
- Some of the exciting things that you can do here include meetings with the zoo's llamas, Jorge and Fernando, and attending a variety of cultural performances.
- The zoo's "Bunk with the Beasts" overnight experience, which includes up-close encounters with the creatures as well as dining in the wild, is highly sought after by little ones.
- Situated within a picturesque 42-acre Victorian landscape with tree-lined paths, ornamental foliage, and animal sculptures, the Philadelphia Zoo is America's first zoo and a leading conservation organization.
- It shelters nearly 1,300 species, many of them uncommon and endangered.
- The zoo has Zoo360, a ground-breaking rail system for animal exploration that allows primates and large cats to cross the main visitor pathway freely.
- Your children will undoubtedly be fascinated by its indoor treehouse playground and incredible KidZooU, a children's zoo and education center that provides a fun learning experience for all ages.
Location: 3400 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
- Home to more than 850 native and exotic animals, the Oakland Zoo is renowned for housing the largest wild animal medical facility in northern California.
- The zoo offers interactive exhibits and play areas for kids where they can learn about ring-tailed lemurs, pot-bellied pigs, and a tonne of bugs in the Bug Room.
- From the old section of the zoo, you can take an aerial gondola ride to the zoo's major exhibit, California Trail. It is home to the mountain lions, bald eagles, gray wolves and jaguars.
Location: 9777 Golf Links Rd, Oakland, CA 94605, United States
Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is one of the top zoos in the USA featuring endangered species from across the world.
- What began with a little less than 66 acres in the middle of the city has grown to more than 75 acres of beautiful habitats.
- You can take a ride on the well-known Safari Train and roll past various habitats as you travel to get a pleasant view of over 500 animals and 3,000 plant species.
- The newest attraction of the zoo is the newborn hippo named Fiona, who was born in January 2017 and is the first hippo to be born in the Cincinnati Zoo in 75 years.
Location: 3400 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45220, United States
Alaska Zoo, Anchorage
- It is one of the best zoos in the USA that houses the largest collection of native Alaskan animals, in addition to a few exotic creatures that are part of an excellent education and research facility.
- In 1969, a newborn elephant named Annabelle, who had won a contest, became the first animal in the Alaska Zoo. Since then, it has grown to encompass 25 acres of the slope surrounding Anchorage and 100 animals.
- You can observe natural Alaskan animals roaming the forested, hilly landscape of Anchorage, including rare snow leopards, moose, and other Arctic species.
Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago
- The Lincoln Park Zoo is not only one of the oldest in North America, but it also features one of the nation's biggest zoo-based science and conservation initiatives.
- Spread across 35 acres, it houses more than 200 species from across the globe and more than 2,000 individual plants representing 1,200+ species.
- For a more fun experience, you can take the little ones to the on-site children's zoo, which includes activities like milking cows and making butter.
- Some of the main wildlife draws include the aardvark, African lion, African rock python, American beaver, American black bear, and many more.
Los Angeles Zoo
- You need to make an advance reservation to visit the Los Angeles Zoo, but it is all worth the preparation as it is one of the top zoos in the USA.
- You can explore the immersive landscape that shelters more than 2,200 animals, including more than 60 endangered species.
- You can spot some of the most exotic wildlife here, including Tiger Terrace, Lemurs of Madagascar, Koala Grove, Butterfly Garden, Sloth Forest, Frog and Lotus Lagoon and many more.
- A trip to the Zoo's largest habitat, the Elephants of Asia, and the Rainforest of the Americas shouldn’t be missed.
The Smithsonian National Zoo, Washington
- The National Zoo at the Smithsonian is a great place for your kids to wander, learn, and have fun.
- It is situated on 163 acres in the center of Washington, D.C.'s Rock Creek Park and is home to about 2,700 creatures and more than 390 species.
- Giant pandas, lions, and tigers are abundant in this area, but you may also find some really uncommon animals like the highly endangered black-and-white ruffed lemurs and the scimitar-horned oryx.
- After a fun-filled day, you can make use of the dining facilities or simply stop by the gift shops to browse for souvenirs.
Houston Zoo, Houston
- The Houston Zoo offers a fascinating experience that unites people with animals to spur conservation efforts.
- It houses 6,000 animals and has the largest bird collection in the US, making it one of the best zoos in the USA.
- You will have a fun experience watching the elephants relax in the pools of the McNair Elephant Habitat Area and feeding giraffes at the Giraffe Feeding Platform.
- Some of the main highlights in wildlife include African lions, Asian elephants, and California sea lions.
- It is a great place as they also have food trucks and cafes to unwind after a long, wild day.
Memphis Zoo, Memphis
- Memphis, which has been established for well over a century, is home to more than 3,500 creatures from 500 different species on a 76-acre area.
- The zoo is divided into three zones, each containing nineteen exhibits, making for a roughly two-mile walk.
- If you don't wish to walk on foot, you can access the tram services for a more comfortable experience.
- Some of the exhibits that you shouldn’t skip include the giant panda exhibit, the jaguars and capybaras in Cat Country and the hippos and Nile crocodiles in the Zambezi River Hippo Camp.