About Pont Alexandre III
Pont Alexandre III is a bridge which connects the two most famous monuments of Paris, Avenue des Champs-Elysees and Eiffel Tower. Pont Alexandre III was built in 1899 by Nicholas II, the son of Tsar Alexander III. The bridge is built over the River Seine and is regarded as one of the most elegant bridges of the city. Pont Alexandre III is around 500 metres long and 120 feet wide. Both sides of the bridge are illuminated with lamps, making this bridge look like a golden necklace in the night.
With over 100 years old, this magical bridge is an architectural wonder of the city and is considered as a historic monument of Paris. The architectural pattern of this bridge resembles the beaux-arts style, which was a prominent school of arts in France in the 19th century. Describing its architecture, the bridge is marked by four bronze statues of fames, glorifying the culture and history of the city.
How to Reach Pont Alexandre III
From Airport: Pont Alexandre III is 31 km from the Paris International Airport. One can hire private cabs from the airport to the bridge.
By Bus: One can take buses from Rivoli to the bridge and the bus ride takes around 15 minutes.
By Metro: Line 1 subway takes you to Pont Alexandre III and takes around 14 minutes.
What Not to Miss at Pont Alexandre III
Paris is home to some of the most extravagant and beautiful places in France. From Grand Palais to Rosa Bonheur Sur Seine, tourists have tons of places to explore in the city. From historical to modern-day cultural places, here are some of the places to visit around Pont Alexandre III.
1. Grand Palais- A historical monument with over 100 years of history, Grand Palais is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Paris. During World War I, the palace had a hospital in its basement and housed the injured French soldiers. In modern-day and popular culture, Grand Palais is a popular place for hosting various international events like World Fencing Championship and Tour de France.
Many tourists visit Grand Palais to witness its architectural wonder. The glass-domed roof and the various sculptors on the pillars of Grand Palais reflect the beauty of this place. Grand Palais has an event hall, Nef du Grand Palais which hosts many fashion and cultural events.
2. Bateau Mouche- One of the most extravagant things to do in Paris is to take a ride on Bateau Mouche. Bateau Mouche is over 100 years old and has been a popular tourist attraction in Paris. The ride in Bateau Mouche takes you through the city on the river Seine. Seated on a cruise ship, one can realm the beauty of Paris and embrace the calmness of the river Seine.
Boat tours with Bateau Mouche have proved to be extensively popular among tourists as one can see monuments like Pont Alexandre III Bridge, Eiffel Tower, Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Pont Neuf, Orsay Museum, and the Louvre Museum.
3. Esplanade des Invalides- Esplanade des Invalides or Les Invalides is a complex of buildings which houses several museums, churches and hospitals. The primal purpose of Esplanade des Invalides was to serve as a retirement home to World War I & II veterans.
All the buildings and monuments in the complex are related to the military history of France. Tourists visit Esplanade des Invalides in large numbers to visit museums like the Musee de ‘l’Armee, Musée des Plans-Reliefs, and the Musée d'Histoire Contemporaine. The complex is home to the tallest church in the city, Dome des Invalides which stands at a height of 107 metres. The tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte, the bravest military general of France is located in Esplanade des Invalides.
4. Rosa Bonheur Sur Seine- Rosa Bonheur Sur Seine is a floating cafe which is located close to Esplanade des Invalides. Situated on the banks of the river Seine, this floating boat cafe invites thousands of tourists.
Rosa Bonheur Sur Seine offers some fine views of the Eiffel Tower and the Pont Alexandre II bridge. The floating cafe is home to many fun-events and parties and is visited in large numbers. The cafe has an outdoor bar which opens to a giant wood-fired pizza oven which is always surrounded by hungry tourists. One distinctive feature of Rosa Bonheur Sur Seine is that post-lunch, it organizes Gay games, reflecting its Gay-friendly policy.
Other Essential Information About Pont Alexandre III
Interesting Facts About Pont Alexandre IIl
1. The bridge is named after Tsar Alexandre III of Russia. The French government named the bridge on a Russian Tsar to celebrate the Russian-French alliance which was established in the 1890s.
2. Pont Alexandre IIl was built in 3 years (1897-1900). In the late 20th century, some restoration work was done to the bridge.
3. The steel-arches of the bridge are supported by four massive pillars on the sides. Each pillar has a female statue in its front, resembling a period of time in the rich French history.
4. Also, each pillar has a golden statue on its top. The statue of a lady and horse and it resembles the agriculture, arts, commerce and war of France.
5. There are two large copper statues in the middle part of the bridge, facing each side of the river. One statue is called Nymphs of the Seine, which is decorated to honour the river Seine and the other is called Nymphs of the Neva, which honours the river Neva in the city of St. Petersburg in Russia.
Places to Eat near Pont Alexandre III
Paris is home to some of the most delicious restaurants in the world. French cuisine is one of the most celebrated and bud-smacking cuisines in the world. That said, here are some places to eat near Pont Alexandre III
1. Bistrot Alexandre III- A popular restaurant located near Pont Alexandre III, Le Bistrot Alexandre III offers a stunning view of the bridge and the Eiffel Tower. A traditional bistro, Bistrot Alexandre III serves some of the finest bread-dishes in Paris. French Burger of the bistro is very popular in the locality. Alongside the burger, one can also try some salt cod croquettes, caramelized pork, and other french cuisine delights.
2. The Italian Street Clan- Opened in 2015, the Italian Street Clan is a retro food truck eatery located near the bridge. It serves some of the finest Italian food items in Paris. The eatery is popular for its homemade focaccias stuffed with bufala mozzarella, Parma ham and smoked salmon. The Italian Street Clan serves the best fresh Italian salads.
3. Faust- Le Faust is located on the banks of the River Seine. This club serves some of the finest Italian bread dishes and is popular for its Neapolitan pizza in the locality. A restaurant cum club, Le Faust attracts many tourists.
4. Restaurant Khajuraho Indien Fine Dining Bar- An interesting restaurant near the bridge, Restaurant Khajuraho Indien Fine Dining Bar is a popular Indian restaurant serving the finest Indian dishes in the locality. With its royal ambience and mild background music, the restaurant is among the favourites of the tourists.
Places to Stay near Pont Alexandre III
1. Le Bristol Paris- A luxury hotel near the bridge, Le Bristol Paris is one of the oldest hotels in Paris. Built-in 1925, Le Bristol Paris is a popular hotel among tourists. The hotel offers a first-class travel experience alongside a luxurious stay. Le Bristol Paris also offers a tour of Paris city.
2. Hotel Plaza Athénée- One of the most beautiful hotels in the locality, Hotel Plaza Athénée is a 5-star hotel near Pont Alexandre III. Hotel Plaza Athénée is one of the oldest and most prestigious hotels in Paris which has hosted many popular celebrities as their guests.
3. La Réserve Paris Hotel and Spa- Overlooking the Eiffel Tower, La Réserve Paris Hotel and Spa is a 5-star grand hotel. Alongside its world-class interiors and architecture, La Réserve Paris Hotel and Spa also hosts some of the most famous Spa centres in the city. Each room of the hotel has an indoor pool, a smoking lounge and many other things.
4. Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel- Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel is a grand hotel in the heart of the city. The hotel offers the finest view of Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre museum Alongside its fitness centre and an amazing bar, each room of the hotel has a balcony.