Constructed on the Isla de la Cite, the Conciergerie was formerly called Palais de la Cite. The building got its new name when the French King Charles V planned to shift his dwelling place to Louvre. The Conciergerie then started being used as the kingdom’s new parliament.
In spite of its preserved medieval appearance, the building of Conciergerie experienced some major renovation in the nineteenth century. The structure has also received a number of additional constructions in the course of various kings. The patchwork clearly shows the architectural marvels and intricate design works of the times gone by.
In 1914, Conciergerie was decommissioned and was open to the public as a national historical monument. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions featuring a wide range of artefacts of the times gone by. Only a small section of the total building is used as the museum and the rest are still in use as Paris Law Courts.
You would come across four massive minarets that cast amazing views to allure your senses, some parts of the royal treasure, marvellous public clock, gothic vaulted interiors, and many relics of the past.
How to Reach Conciergerie
Sainte Chapelle can be reached by metro, bus, and car/bike.
By Metro: The travellers planning to visit Sainte Chapelle can take metro line 4 to the cite stop and then walk down Rue de Lutexe to the Palais de Justice. You will find the entrance of the Sainte Chapelle to the left of the Palais.
By Bus: You can take the famous Batobus to reach the Sainte Chapelle. The Batobus stops on the left bank across Notre Dame.
By Car/Bike: Sainte Chapelle is located at a distance of 3 km from the city centre of Paris. You can cover the distance in your personal bike or car. If at all you don’t have your own means of transport, you can surely book your rental rides available all through the city.
Best Time to Visit Conciergerie
The best time to visit Conciergerie in Paris would be from the month of April to the month of June and again from the month of October to early November. The climatic conditions at these phases of the year remain favourable for tourism and sightseeing.
You would find the temperature ranges moderate and very fewer rainfall days as well. If you wish to save some bucks on your travel expenses, then you can also choose to come to Paris in the months of December, January and February.
What Not to Miss at Conciergerie
Here are some of the best places to visit near Conciergerie:
2. Place Dauphine
Manifesting a refreshing ambience and rich history, the cosy and charming outdoor space of Place Dauphine offers the visitors the authentic Parisian environment and helps them find rescue from the busy and chaotic city life.
3. Louvre Museum
Some of the major attractions of the Louvre Museum include the Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci and artworks by Michelangelo, Eugene Delacroix, Vermeer, and Rembrandt.
4. Pont Neuf
Other Essential Information About Conciergerie
Location: Conciergerie is located in the Ile de la Cite, at a very proximate distance to Sainte Chapelle. Address - 2 Boulevard du Palais, 75001 Paris, France
Timings: Conciergerie is open for visitors from 9.30 AM to 6 PM, on all days of the week
Price: The entry fee for Conciergerie is 9 euros for adults. There is no entry fee for visitors under the age of 18 years and for EU citizens aged between 18 to 25 years. The entry is also free for visitors having the Paris Museum Pass and the Paris Pass.
Why visit Conciergerie
If you are still not sure why you should take a tour of the famous Conciergerie, then here are some of the reasons that you need to know why the tour can be significant:
- It happens to be one of the testaments for the old gothic architectural marvels that are standing tall for more than 1400 years.
- It has been a witness to most of the history of Paris. Conciergerie stands at the same place where the Romans erected their very first fortress in the city of Paris after they successfully conquered the city.
- It is built upon the remnants of the old fort and was used as the royal residence of the Kings of France for more than 1300 years.
- It has been the epicentre to various French Kings and political projects.
- At the present times, this building is a patchwork of a wide range of architectural styles that have been added to the main construction in the course of various reigns. It is a delightful instance to sight such a perfect blend of intricate works.
Traveller's tips before visiting Conciergerie
Check out some of the important traveller' tips that you should keep in mind while visiting Conciergerie:
- Since the visitors will have to undergo a security check at the building's entrance point, they need to prepare their bags accordingly for convenience.
- You should carry all the necessary travel documents with you and do not forget to get your travel insured.
- Make sure you check out the video as well as the signs written inside the back room of the building. These elements can offer you a better sneak peek into the history and significance of the place.