About Kamala Nehru Park, MumbaiPart of the Hanging garden complex in Mumbai, Kamla Nehru Park is a recreational ground, covering almost 4 acres of land area. The Malabar Hills are decorated with these exquisite gardens which are under maintenance by the local civic bodies in the region. The Kamla Nehru Park is highly popular with tourists and children, who love to come here and enjoy the scenic views of the city.
One of the most notable views from this location is that of the Marine Drive, which gives a splendid view of the famous ‘Queen’s necklace’ from this point. Within the garden, a remarkable shoe structure can be found that draws the attention of children.
Not many knew about it but the structure of the shoe has a historical relevance and draws its inspiration from a nursery rhyme titled ‘There was an old woman who lived in a shoe’. It is believed that the structure of the shoe was designed by a former BMC Environment officer by the name of Soli Arceivala who was a Vice principal of VJTI for nearly 15 years and director of NEERI.
The park was renovated in the year 2017 and 2018 and was later opened to the public on 22nd February 2018. The park now has many additional spaces for the enjoyment of children. The refurbished shoe structure is now painted in blue, has a rainbow amphitheatre, a pergola with hanging cane chairs, Echo Gazebos, Compass View gallery, Minions selfie point, Ashoka Stambha with tricolour planter beds, and a clock.
How to Reach Kamala Nehru Park, MumbaiFrom Mumbai Airport:
If you are headed to the Kamla Nehru Park on Malabar Hills from Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, you can take the Western Express Highway which can take you to the destination in under 40 minutes across a distance of 21.8 km.
You can hire a cab from the airport or rent a car outside the airport, to head to your destination. Alternatively, you can also take the Western Express Highway through the Tulsi Pipe Road to head to the destination. This route however will take a longer time and sometimes, even up to 50 minutes to reach the Kamla Nehru Park.
Best Time to Visit Kamala Nehru Park, Mumbai
The best time to pack some snacks and head to the Kamla Nehru Park is during the holidays in the winter season, which spreads from October to March. The cool and pleasant weather is perfect to enjoy the environs around the park and makes sightseeing immensely comfortable for the tourists.
What Not to Miss at Kamala Nehru Park, Mumbai
Things to do at Kamala Nehru Park:
1. Visit the Pramod Navalkar Viewing gallery: Located next to the Kamla Nehru Park and directly opposite the west gate of the popular hanging gardens, this is a three storeyed building that provides excellent views of the South Mumbai region.
Standing over here, visitors can get a view of the Queen’s Necklace of Mumbai, surrounding the Nariman Point and Marine Drive and Chowpatty beach. The viewing point extends your gaze up to the residence of the governor at Walkeshwar. You will find binoculars to get excellent views.
2. Enjoy at the Boot house: There is a spiral staircase on top of the structure and is open to children up to the age of 10 who can climb up. The boot house can be entered by all and is an excellent place for children to enjoy their evening. There is also a dedicated play area where children can enjoy themselves.
3. Visit the amphitheatre: This is the centre for various cultural programs, which are held here from time to time. You can encourage your children to take part in these programs and help their overall development.
4. View the exotic variety of greenery: The Kamla Nehru Park is a spectacle when it comes to the array of trees, flowers and shrubs that are located here. Many visitors come here to note the exotic variety of greenery that springs up all around the park. It makes the park an excellent place to spend quality time in the evenings with friends and family and to bring children so that they may also enjoy the bounty of nature here.
5. Binge on local street food: Within the park, you will find ample peddlers selling local street food that is a speciality of Mumbai. Take a chance to treat yourself to some of those and relish in the culinary delicacies.
Famous attractions at Kamla Nehru park:
-Nature’s Touch in the surroundings: The lush greenery of the Kamla Nehru Park is its major attraction. The Park covers an area of 4000 square feet and is dotted with heart warming scenery of green plains and freshly trimmed trees along with flowering shrubs. The overall picturesque sight that welcomes travellers at this park is one that makes these gardens highly popular.
-Boot house: Also commonly known as the old woman’s shoes, the structure of a shoe within the park is an amazing sight for children, especially since they can also enter the same. The design of the shoe has been adapted from a nursery rhyme. A balcony on top of the structure provides the perfect view of the surrounding scenery. The boot house is a historical structure which holds immense significance.
-The Viewpoint: There is a spectacular view point in the park which offers an incredible view of the Chowpatty beach on one side and the Marine Drive on the other. One can grasp a view of the famous Marine Drive from this point.
The views can be charming and grab your attention, especially in the evening and night when the streets are lit with lights from installations and vehicles. This is when the city of Mumbai sparkles like a jewel. The splendid views from this location are unbeatable and offer an experience like nothing else in all of Mumbai.
-Malabar Hill: If you are visiting Mumbai and coming to the Kamla Nehru Park, do not miss out the unmistakable Malabar Hills. The Malabar Hills are regarded to be one of the best hillside views of the sea waters.
The collective landscape and lush green surroundings make this hill side an excellent picnic spot, where you can come and enjoy with friends and family. You will also be able to spot some local vendors here, selling the most iconic street foods of Mumbai.
Other Essential Information About Kamala Nehru Park, Mumbai
Location: The Kamla Nehru Park is located in Malabar Hills. The exact location of the park is BG Kher Rd, Malabar Hills, Mumbai, Mumbai 400006, India. It is among the top locations to explore in the city of Mumbai.
Timings: The park remains open from 5 in the morning till 9 at night.