Castella de Aguada
Situated in Land’s End in Bandra, the Castella de Aguada is also called Bandra Fort and remains one of the most visited Mumbai tourist places. The original Portuguese word for castle is Castelo, although the builders of the place actually called it Forte de Bandora.
The Portuguese built it in 1640 after they had settled in the area since 1534, to use the castle as a watchtower overlooking the Arabian Sea, Mahim Bay, and the island of Mahim. The name of the castle originates from a fresh water fountain that was close to the fort, thus the name “Aguada”.
When the Portuguese had control over the fort, the fort was armed with as many as seven cannons and smaller defence equipment such as guns etc. The fort is strategically placed, and back in the days, it was sued to watch the northern sea route to the Mumbai Harbour.
In the early eighteenth century, the British destroyed a large part of Castella de Aguada when Marathas had become a threat to the British in India.
Location: Byramji Jeejeebhoy Road, Bandstand Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Best Time to visit: Any time of the year
Entry fee: No entry fee
Timings: 10AM-8PM every day.
Distance from Mumbai Bus Stand: 13.9 km from MSRTC Mumbai Central