People Also Ask About Langkawi
Which are the best places to visit in Langkawi?1. Pulau Payar Marine Park: This attraction of Langkawi City is filled with a variety of water sports like scuba diving and snorkelling. This place altogether is made up of 4 Islands i.e. Pulau Payar, Pulau Kaca, Pulau Lembu, and Pulau Senangtang. This huge combination of islands is well preserved by the fisheries department of Kedah, so you can rest assured that the beauty of this Island will remain unchanged.
Location: Towards 30 Kilometres on the South side of Langkawi.
2. Langkawi Sky Bridge: The hotspot of Langkawi Tourism, the Langkawi Sky Bridge is located at 2300 feet above the sea level. You have to take a cable car ride in order to reach Langkawi Sky Bridge and admire the beauty from this place.
You can also try your hands on shopping on this bridge, you can easily find stalls of souvenirs, toys, drinks and snacks here. You can try Sky Glide to reach the bridge top where a cabin covered with glass from all the sides will take you to the top.
Location: At the end of the cable car, alan Telaga Tujuh Teluk Burau, Langkawi, Kedah.
Price: RM 5 for Sky Bridge and RM 15 for Sky Glide.
3. Underwater World Langkawi: It is a huge underwater expedition where you will come across more than 200 species of fishes and underwater life. This place is spread across 6 acres of area and offers various sections to enjoy including a three-dimensional theatre, tropical rainforest, and much more. This is amongst the top attractions of Langkawi City. Click Here to Book: Langkawi Underwater World Tickets
Location: Zon Pantai Cenang, Mukim Kedawang.
Price: RM 36.65.
4. Langkawi Cable Car: The cable car in Langkawi will take you to 708 metres above the sea level and will provide you with a panoramic scenery of the whole valley below you.
The Langkawi Cable car is famous for being one of the steepest cable car rides in the entire world, thus will offer you much required thrill on a sightseeing tour. Popularly known as Sky Cab, it will take you to Mount Mat Cincang where you can enjoy panoramic views of the valley. Click Here to Book: Langkawi Cable Car Tickets
Location: Jalan Telaga Tujuh, Kedah.
Price: RM 85 for adults and RM 65 for kids.
5. Dataran Lang: Also known as the Eagle Square, this is a popular tourist destination of the Langkawi city. This humongous Eagle structure is 12 metres high and offers you a view of Kuah Bay in the background. Known to be the finest man made structure of Langkawi, this place is filled with shops, footbridges, eateries and many more entertainment options.
Location: Southeast corner of Pulau Langkawi, Kuah Jetty.
Recommended Read: Places to Visit in Langkawi
6. Gunung Raya: This is the highest mountain peak of Langkawi which stands 881 metres tall and spreads across an area of 5000 hectares. This place offers a large variety of greenery and you can easily spot animals resting in their natural habitat along with spectacular views.
You can easily trek to the peak as this is not a steep trek and you can also reach by driving for 30 minutes towards the hilltop. Since the difficulty of the trek is easy, it has been inviting many beginners.
Location: At central part of Langkawi.
7. Taman Lagenda Langkawi: This open air museum is spread across a huge area of 50 hectares and consists of 17 beautiful statues.
All the statues briefly describe Langkawi’s legend about mythical birds, evil ogres, beautiful princesses and much more. This is a perfect place to know about the history of Langkawi, this place is equipped with English language signboards so that everyone can understand easily.
Location: Next to Jetty point and eagle square.
Price: RM 5 for adults and RM 2.50 for kids.
8. Pantai Cenang Beach: It is a hotspot for tourists of Langkawi city, and is filled with pristine white sand and many fun activities like boating, snorkelling and scuba diving.
Situated at just a 10 kilometres ride from the airport, this beach can be easily visited as soon as you reach Langkawi city and a plethora of entertaining activities can be enjoyed. You can enjoy the underwater world, kiki club, rice garden museum and much more here.
Location: Western shoreline of Langkawi, near Padang Matsirat international airport, Kedah.
9. Air Hangat Village: This is one of its kind tourist destinations of Langkawi city filled with hot water spring wells. A great mixture of modern and cultural flavours of Langkawi, this amazing location offers a village complex filled with ponds, Jacuzzis, fountains, cultural shows, gardens and the most famous natural saltwater wells.
Location: 16 Jalan Air Hangat, Mukim Air Hangat.
Price: RM 50 for adults and no charges for children below 12 years of age.
10. Temurun Waterfalls: This is a prominent place of Langkawi tourism where you can admire a 200 metres tall waterfall gushing at its full speed. It is the tallest waterfall in Langkawi City, which makes this place even more popular and the surroundings more dramatic.
The path of this waterfall goes through the rain forest of Mount Mat Cincang which is home to many species of animals like monkeys, butterflies, and many varieties of birds. The limestone rocks here are believed to be over 500 million years old.
Location: Jalan Datai, Datia area.
Suggested Read: Things to Do in Langkawi
What are the best things to do in Langkawi?
You can visit the following and engulf yourself into the activities the places offer -
1. Lagkawi Cable Car (SkyCab): It takes visitors on a vertiginous 15 minute ride to the top of mount Mat Cincang, offering breathtaking views of Langkawi’s rainforests, islets and waterfall.
Price range - RM35 for adults and RM20 for kids.
2. Take a Walk at Langkawi Sky Bridge : This 125 metre-long curved bridge offers an exhilarating (and sometimes terrifying) view of verdant Gunung Mat Cincang, Telaja Tujuh waterfalls and several islets surrounding Langkawi. Set 700 m above sea level, it is only accessible via Langkawi Cable Car Ride.
3. Visit Underwater world : Set on Pantai Cenang Beach town, it houses more than 500 species of sea creatures. It is known for its 15 m walkthrough underwater tunnel, where you can enjoy close-up view of sharks, giant stingrays and turtles.
Price - RM40(adults) and RM30(children)
4. Go to Pulau Payar Marine Park : 30km south of Langkawi Island, it is a prominent spot for snorkelling and diving. Its Coral Garden is an eye candy.
If you are planning for a trip to Malaysia, then you can Checkout & Book: Malaysia Holiday Trips
5. Explore Kilim Karst Geoforest Park : Ranked #01 among langkawi’s attractions, it features a breathtaking landscape of limestone formations, mangrove forests, caves and beaches.
6. Parasailing : If you wanna take a bird’s eye view of the white sandy coast and aquamarine blue water, then parasailing is a must try.
7. Admiring arts in 3D Museums : It has 200 impressive artworks that appear lifelike when photographed. Hailed as the largest 3D art museum in the Malaysia and second largest in the world, should be there on your list if you’re willing to really explore the place.
8. Street food at night markets : You must try super delicious and relatively cheap local food, especially at night.
Checkout & Book: Malaysia Honeymoon Tour Packages
What are the things to do at night in Langkawi?1. Chilling in Pantai Cenang Beach Bars: After a tiring day at sightseeing, you can cool off at the beach bars of Pantai Cenang Beach. These beach bars provide you with great food, drinks and comfortable seating to watch sunsets and enjoy the nightlife afterwards. Enjoy watching live dance shows, fire shows and bands playing. The bars here open daily and stay open till midnight.
2. Shopping in Temoyong Night Market: It is the widely famous night market of Langkawi where you will find street bazaars, eateries and much more.
The market opens every Thursday evening in Pantai Cenang’s Kampung Temoyong Village from 1700 hours local time onwards. Do check out the freshly prepared Malay dishes, such as pisang goreng (fried bananas), keropok lekor (fish crackers), nasi lemak, fried noodles and nasi ayam (chicken rice).
3. Dinner at The Sunset Deck: This is a more elegant and upscale place to enjoy a lavish meal along with admiring a beautiful sunset. This place is a part of Bon Ton Resort Langkawi which welcomes you with an open air seating option surrounded by palm and coconut trees. This is a perfect place to enjoy a cozy dinner with your loved ones.
Checkout & Book: Langkawi Water Sports
What are the famous adventure activities to do in Langkawi?1. Skytrail Jungle Trekking: This trek will take you to the world where you will come across numerous species of flora and flora as old as 500 years. The trek towards Skytrail Jungle can be easily completed by every age group as it is not so difficult and does not have any steep slopes or rocky pathways.Location: Oriental Village, Kedah.2. Langkawi Zipline Adventure: This is an amazing fun activity of Zip lining which is as long as 200 metres. It is a set of 12 zip lines which will take you across the waterfalls over the treetops, during which you can enjoy beautiful views of the jungle and Andaman Sea.Location: Umgawa Legendary Adventures, 7 Wells Waterfall, Jalan Telaga Tujuh.Price: 500 RM.3. Mangrove Safari: Popularly called as Kilim Karst Geoforest Park, this place is located on the southern part of Langkawi. You can hop on a kayak and explore the Mangrove forests here, the nearby area is filled with sandy beaches and trees. You can find a variety of birds and wildlife here including eagles, kingfishers and many more. Click Here to Book: Private Mangrove Kayak Tour with Transfers & Meal in LangkawiLocation: 3 kilometres from Tanjung Rhu Beach towards the northeast.Price: Starting from 135 RM.4. Hiking to Gunung Raya: Standing tall at 881 metres above the ground, this is considered to be one of the highest peaks in Langkawi.During this wonderful hike you will come across rainforests and a lot of wildlife as well. Mountain carries some mythological beliefs along with it, it is said that the mountain is cursed by a giant named Mat Raya.Location: 16 km from Pantai Cenang.5. Watersports at Pantai Cenang: It is the most loved tourist sport where you can enjoy some exciting water sports including Jet Skiing, Paragliding, Snorkelling, Surfing, banana boat ride and more. Click Here to Book: Water Sports at Pantai Cenang in LangkawiLocation: On the western shoreline of Langkawi and by the side of the road Jalan Pantai Cenang.
Must Explore: Beaches in Langkawi
What is the best time to explore Langkawi?In order to find the perfect weather to visit Langkawi, you should plan your trip between the months of December till April. This time window offers a great combination of sunshine and a little rainfall, so that you can make the most of your Langkawi trip.During the day you will find the temperature varying from 30 to 35 degree Celsius while during the night it lowers down to 28 - 29 degree Celsius. Around January, the majority footfall of tourists begins because of less rain and bright sunlight. During this time you will find perfect weather for adventure and water sports.
Click Here to Book: Sunset Dinner Cruise Langkawi
Do we need Visa to travel to Langkawi?All visitors travelling from overseas will require a VISA to travel Malaysia (Langkawi) except some cases of British nationals, Asian Countries and US nationals. Specifically for Asian countries like India, there is no need for tourist VISA if you are travelling for less than 90 days. You will get an “Entry” visa upon your arrival in Malaysia.
Must Explore & Checkout: Things to Do in Langkawi in 3 Days
Is it worthwhile to visit Langkawi?Yes, Langkawi City is one of the rarest cities that offers you a great cocktail of experiences. You can find all sorts of experiences here including trekking to hill tops, taking cable cars to high bridges, water sports and many more.Langkawi City is totally worth visiting to have a great time with your entire family, friends or loved ones. This place is filled with all sorts of attractions like Tengkorak Beach, Kilim Karst Geoforest Park, Al Hana Mosque and many more.
Is it safe to visit Langkawi?Yes, Langkawi is a safe place to travel as it is the hotspot tourist location of Malaysia and you will find ample amount of tourists here. Every year this place attracts more than 26 million tourists which clearly show how safe this place really is. Also, cases of any crime are rare here other than theft or robbery. The locals are very helpful and will always be there to assist you in times of trouble.
Also Explore: Nightlife in Langkawi
How far is Langkawi airport from the city centre?The Langkawi International Airport is around 11 Kilometres from the city centre. This distance can be easily covered within 15 minutes via Route 115. You can easily take a taxi to reach the city centre which will cost you between RM 24 to RM 28.
Click Here to Book: Mini Zoo Langkawi
What is Langkawi famous for?Langkawi is world famous for the variety of Islands present here. This place houses around 100 Islands, exotic beaches, dense rainforests, and amazing attractions like Cable Car, Zip Line and more. All this adds up to the popularity of Langkawi.
What is the currency of Langkawi?Ringgit is the official currency that is used all over Malaysia. You are advised to exchange some money beforehand so that after entering Malaysia you do not have to run out of local currency. Some of the hotels and resorts do accept other currencies for exchange.
Suggested For You: Langkawi Shopping Tours
Where can one enjoy Sky diving in Langkawi?
Asia's ONLY beach skydive is at Langkawi.
You can visit Tandem Skydiving, Skydive Langkawi or Harga skydive for your call. Visit the place, meet up a Tandem Master.
Leave the rest on the team each of which has a licence and are pretty experienced. Some of them are even full time sky divers. They will definitely make you feel relaxed and safe with their professionalism.
Also Checkout & Book: Crocodile Adventureland Langkawi Ticket
What are the best water sports in Langkawi?1. Parasailing: It is an amazing water sport where you will be flying high in the sky with one end tied to a boat and will get to marvel at the panoramic sceneries of the beaches of Langkawi. There are two variations of Parasailing:
- Boat Parasailing: Here you will take off from a moving boat into the wide sky and will land back into the boat safely.
- Beach Parasailing: Here you will take from the beach itself and after a 3-4 minutes ride you will land safely back on the beach.
2. Jet Ski: You can hire a private Jet Ski and make your way through the water. A guide will be along with you for guiding you the directions and taking care of your safety as well. You can stop in between to enjoy a swim in the middle of the ocean. This Jet Ski tour will take you to 2-3 Islands including The Singa Besar Island and The Beras Basah Island.
3. Kayaking: It is a great experience where you will be rowing your way to discover the Majestic Mangrove of Langkawi. You can opt from a Luxury Tour and Basic Tour which varies from 4 Hours and 2 Hours respectively. You can also opt for an even shorter ride of 1 hour.
Must Explore: Waterfalls in Langkawi
Which are the best beach spots to visit in Langkawi ?1. Pantai Cenang Beach: The Pantai Cenang Beach finds its name amongst the most famous and longest beaches of Langkawi located on the western coast. There are beautiful pristine sand lines along with coconut trees that offer a view of Pulau Tepor and Pulau Rebak in the distance. This beach also offers some beautiful views of sunsets and is home to many amazing shopping places.
2. Pantai Tengah Beach: Considered to be a continuation of Pantai Cenang Beach but actually it is a separate beach on the South side of Pantai Cenang Beach. This beach is not much exposed to the tourists and you can easily find some quaint time for yourself here while marvelling at the beautiful sceneries of the sea.
3. Pantai Kok: Popularly termed as the best beach of Langkawi, this luxurious beach offers long stretches of pristine white sand along with some exotic resorts. It is located on the western coast near the Langkawi cable car and is home to a wide array of bars and restaurants.
4. Pasir Tengkorak Beach: It is a hidden gem on the northern coastline as it offers the tourist a more secluded place to enjoy away from the hustle and bustle. This amazing beach is surrounded by forests and you can try your hands on swimming as the water on the shores is shallow.
Click Here to Book: Beginner Jet Ski Experience in Langkawi
What are the famous museums in Langkawi?1. Laman Padi: It is an open complex that is filled with green paddy fields and displays the history of rice cultivation in Malaysia. You can opt for a guide to provide you the real insights about the museum. Also there is an option to try your hands on rice planting, where you get a chance to plant rice sprouts in the mud while standing in knee deep water.
2. Galeria Perdana: This place showcases an amazing collection of various awards and gifts received from world leaders by the brainchild of Malaysia's Prime Minister and his wife. It was opened back in 1995 and it is spread across a two-storey, 5333 square metre building. The exhibits here varies from crystals to musical instruments, Islamic arts, honorary awards/decorations and automobiles.
3. Art In Paradise 3D Museum: One of its kind, this museum is located next to the iconic Langkawi Cable Car in The Oriental Village, Burau Bay and offers 200 unique 3D artworks that feel just like reality.
Divided into 9 interactive zones, this museum is a great place to be visited along with friends and family. Some of the highlights of this museum includes panoramic painting of the gleaming Kuala Lumpur city skyline, featuring the iconic Petronas Twin Towers, Menara KL Tower, and Sultan Abdul Samad Building.
Must Visit: Temples in Langkawi
What are the best places to eat in Langkawi?1. The Gulai House at The Datai Langkawi: It is considered as one of the finest places of Langkawi Tourism to enjoy Malay and Indian dishes while being surrounded by a 10 million year old rainforest.
The eatery has won many awards and it is made in the style of a traditional village house. The dining sections are well decorated, lit with candles, organza drapes and low tables along with comfortable cousins seating.
2. Kayu Puti at The St Regis Langkawi: It is a luxurious dining venue that is influenced by Asian cuisine and offers amazing cocktails, exotic wines and a classy nautical concept. Bar area is equipped with hammocks and sunbeds giving the view of Andaman Sea. The food here is infused in French cooking style and some specials include the Andaman Lobster trail, Stanbroke Wagyu Beef and more.
3. The Planter's at The Danna Langkawi: Langkawi Tourism offers this unique destination that overlooks the infinity pool of The Danna Langkawi. This place is filled with traditional interiors, amazing service and a live pianist during the evening time.
The menu is influenced by Mediterranean, European-inspired and Malaysian cuisine and some popular dishes are the falafel (with tahini yoghurt and pickle radish salad) and premium Australian beef tenderloin.
Suggested Read: Places to Visit in Malaysia
What are the best places to visit in Langkawi with family?1. Crocodile Adventure: This is an adventure park which is purely dedicated to crocodiles. You will see more than 4000 crocodiles here which belong to different species like Tomistoma, Siamese, Saltwater crocodile, guinea crocodile and more. A crocodile adventure show is also performed in which the professionals perform deadly stunts with large crocodiles.
2. Paradise 3D Museum: It is a venue where you will find some beautifully crafted 3D artworks that become alive when pictured. It is a hub of art lovers and it is divided into nine different zones in 3 storey.
Amazing zones include optical illusion, aquatic, fantasy, castles, classics, safari, landscapes, Egyptian, and Malaysian. This museum operates daily from 09:00 AM till 06:00 PM in the evening and it is located nearby Cable Car Station.
3. Telaga Tujuh Waterfalls: This waterfall is really a peace to the eyes and also called as the home of fairies. The name translates to seven waterfalls as this waterfall has been named after the seven natural pools fed by seven separate waterfalls in Gunung Mat Cincang.
4. Yellow Beach Café: It is a place where you can have some unique sky dining experience. Being one of the best café of Langkawi City, this place assures you a great time with your friends and family. This café serves a great combination of food along with spectacular views of the city. Some specials of this Café includes salads, sandwiches, burgers, or steaks.
5. Gunung Raya: Gunung Raya is the perfect spot to catch some of the best views that Langkawi City has to offer. At a height of 881 metres above the ground, this peak lets you admire beautiful sunrises or sunsets along with your family. This mountain peak provides you an option of trekking and hiking as well.
Must Know: Things to do in Malaysia
What are the best places to visit in Langkawi for couples?1. Skytrex Adventure Langkawi: One of the best things that you can do with your loved one in Langkawi, is to try your hands on some adventure. It is amongst the best adventure parks in Langkawi where you can enjoy activities like flying, gliding, swinging and even dangling. Your safety will be taken care of as you will perform these stunts under professional supervision. Click Here To Book: Skytrex Adventure Langkawi Tickets
2. Wildlife Park & Bird Paradise: It is a paradise for nature lovers as this place offers some great collections of bird species, many of which are rare and endangered.
You will find more than 2,500 exotic birds here which belong to 150 different species including canaries, ducks, parakeets, owls, eagles, toucans, hornbills, and flamingos. In addition to the birds, here you will also get to enjoy the beauty of a walk-in aviary and 15 metres high waterfall. Click Here to Book: Langkawi Wildlife Park Tickets
3. Langkawi Islands: There couldn’t be a more romantic place than a visit to the islands and enjoying long walks. There are more than 100 islands in Langkawi and only few of them are accessible to tourists.
You can spend some quality time on the shore while watching the beautiful coastlines and even try your hands on to some underwater sports. Few of the best islands are Rebak Island, Pulau Beras Basah Island, Pulau Dayang Bunting Island, and Pulau Singa Besar Island.
4. Datai Bay: This is a beautiful half-moon shaped beach where you will find some peaceful time along with your loved one. Located on the north western side of Langkawi, this is a 1.5 kilometres long beach which is popularly called as Pantai Teluk Datai. You will find numerous leisure cafes, restaurants and bars on the beachside where you can chomp on some local delicacies while sipping some tasteful cocktails.
5. Ayer Hangat Friday Night Market: Shopping is something which is always on the To-Do list of couples. This is a popular tourist destination for night shopping where you can purchase a number of local items including clothes, souvenirs, and various delicacies at very affordable prices.
Which are the best resorts to stay in Langkawi?
Here is a list of the Ideal hotels and resorts to stay at Langkawi :
Tanjung Rhu Resort - an excellent five star resort situated at Kedah provides free breakfast, currency exchange, Library, Free WiFi, a private beach, spa, Sauna etc.
Charges Rs.35000 a night for two.
The Andaman - a 5 star hotel situated at Datai Bay, Kedah. Facilitates you with free breakfast , free wifi, Pool, Spa, Parking etc.
Room for two for a night- Rs.23000
The Frangipani Langkawi Resort-
Is a 4 star hotel with facilities like free wifi, pool, spa, parking and so much more. It is situated at Pentai Cenang, Kedah.
Charges for a night for two- Rs.10000
Aseania Resort Langkawi
A 3 star hotel situated at Pentai Tengah, Kedah. Provides facilities like Pool, parking, AC etc. Charges Rs.6000 for a night for two.
Also Explore: Places For Hiking In Malaysia
Which are the best places for shopping in Langkawi?
It's one of the best places to find handmade souvenirs. Langkawi also hosts a night market in different areas on a weekly basis where you can find a variety of things. Apart from these, here's a list of places where you can go around spending on yourself :
Langkawi Fair Shopping Mall
Situated at Langkawi, Kedah
Opening hours: Daily 10:00— 21:00
At Langkawi, Kedah
Opening hours: Daily 11:00— 21:00
Zeno Duty Free Shopping Centre
At Langkawi, Kedah
Opening hours: Daily 10:00— 22:00
At Kuah, Kedah
Opening hours : Daily 10:00 — 21.00
Where can one enjoy Boating in Langkawi?
There are so many places you can get on board at with your family and head for an amazing journey to Langkawi Islands. Here are some of those :
Langkawi Boat Sales & Services Sdn.Bhd.
Location - Rebak Island Marina Hardstand, Kuah
Price - Rs.5000 onwards
Pippen Marine (M) Sdn Bhd
Location - Batu Ara Jalan Pantai Kok, Kuala Teriang
Price - Rs.6000 onwards
UNESCO George Park Tour
Location -Tanjung Rhu jetty
Prices - Rs.2000 onwards
Damai Indah A Day in Paradise
Location - Jalan Dato Syed Omar
Price - Rs.7300 onwards
Duration - 5 hours
Click Here to Book: Langkawi Discovery Helicopter Private Tour
How to reach Langkawi?
There are umpteen ways to reach Langkawi. But the shortest way is taking a direct flight from Kuala Lumpur.
- International Airport is about 20 kilometres from the town of Kuah and around 8 kilometres from Pentai Cenang.
- If you have enough time taking a train to Butterworth is recommended. You will then have to catch a ferry to Georgetown across the strait to the Island of Penang. From there you can rent a car or ticket a train's journey to Langkawi. You can Also take a train from Kuala Kedah, Kuala Perlis and Pentai to Langkawi.
- Cheapest way is taking a bus from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Kedah or Kuala Perlis and then reach Langkawi. Taking a bus is suggestively a better option than a train.