About Black Sand Beach
Located just 4 km away from the southwest corner of Tanjung Rhu beach, the Black Sand Beach offers a chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of the crowded parts of Langkawi. It is also famous for its iconic black sand that is quite different from the regular golden sand found on other beaches. Due to this peculiar quality, the beach receives a lot of tourists from all over the world. The name of the island comes from the color of the sand.
This color of the sand is due to the presence of some minerals that are found in the granites of Mount Raya, which is located quite close to the beach. The streams from the mountain carry these minerals to the beach and deposit it here, giving it the iconic black color. The beach was once part of a fishing village, and the remnants of the same can still be found here. Although it is not safe for swimming, you can enjoy fishing on this beach.
Another famous activity here is photography – for the contrast of the blue sea against the black sand makes it quite stunning. Besides its peculiar sand, the beach is also well known for the lovely market held here. You can’t miss it – the market is located right in front of the entrance to the beach. You can buy local dress materials, accessories, and other items at these shops.
How to Reach Black Sand Beach
The black sand beach is located 21 km away from the center. There are three ways to go from the center to the beach:
- Taxi: Taxis can be hired from the city center to Jalan Teluk Yu, where the beach is located. In fact, you can get a taxi to the beach from almost anywhere in the city. The beach is located at the north end of the beach, so make sure you take a taxi all the way, otherwise you will have to walk for a while.
The entire journey should take you no more than 20 minutes. You can book a taxi to the beach from the city center online. The taxi will pick you up from wherever you are in the center and drop you at your destination.
- Rented car or motorbike: If you have a license that is valid for use in Malaysia, you can rent a car or motorbike and drive from the center or anywhere in the city to the beach. In such cases, however, you should make sure that you are aware of all the rules of driving in the country.
Best Time to Visit Black Sand Beach
The best time to visit the black sand beach is between the months of January and March. This is when the weather is pleasant enough for sightseeing and hanging out on the beach.
Between September and October, the island sees a lot of rainfall as it is the monsoon season. During this time of the year, rain continues for several hours every day. Although it does stop during late afternoon and at night, it is still too high in humidity to go outside. Moreover, the sea waves on the beach at this time of the year can be quite dangerous. So, it is not recommended to visit the black sand beach during these months.
The months between April and August are considered mid-season for visiting the beach and the rest of the island. This is because there are occasional rains during these months, and the temperatures in the morning and noon can get quite high. Thus, the weather is not optimal for visiting the beach or enjoying sightseeing on the island. However, the rains stop during the evening and the temperature drops too, so it is not completely out of the question to visit the black sand beach during this time.
During the months of January to March, the beach, along with the rest of the island is warm and dry. Moreover, the ocean remains calm during this time, and that is why it is considered the high tourist season. The weather is perfect for enjoying the vistas near the beach, as well as exploring the rest of the island. However, it should be noted that hotel bookings can be scarce during this season, so it is better to book your accommodation well before arrival.
What Not to Miss at Black Sand Beach
Here are some of the most fun things you can do at Black Sand Beach
1. Shopping – While the conditions at the beach are not ideal for a picnic, people still come here with their families to enjoy some shopping. This is because there are some excellent shops near the beach where you can buy coolest souvenirs and knick-knacks for your family back home.
2. Eat – There are several stalls near the beach where you can get some amazing local snacks and seafood dishes at cheap prices. There is also a café within the complex where you can get a hot lunch without burning a hole in your pocket.
3. Admire the vistas and take photos – The most unique thing about the beach is its black sand and lovely vistas. Many people come here just to get some pictures at the iconic shoreline and admire the lovely views of the ocean.
Places to Visit near Black Sand BeachHere are some of the most beautiful and interesting places to visit near the beach:
1. Langkawi Sky Bridge – This pedestrian bridge offers some of the most exhilarating views of the mountains and waterfalls around. It is located 700 meters above the sea level, so it is perfect for admiring the lovely scenery of the island.
2. Eagle Square – The 12-meter tall sculpture of the eagle is one of the most prominent landmarks on the island.
3. Underwater World Langkawi – If you want to enjoy getting close to the sea life of the island, this is the place to be at. Housing over 500 species of aquatic life, this place allows you to witness sharks, sea turtles, and giant stingrays from close.
Other Essential Information About Black Sand Beach
Places to Eat in and Near Black Sand Beach
Here are the best places to eat near the Black sand beach:
1. Kelapa Grill – If you want to get some bistro style dishes, this is the place to be at. The place offers some of the best sandwiches and pizzas in town, and you can even get some ribs and steaks if you come at dinner time.
2. Serai Restaurant – This upscale Italian restaurant is perfect for those of you who love alfresco dining. With its lovely chandeliers, stone and timber décor, and laid-back atmosphere – the restaurant is a perfect place for getting some delicious dinner after spending a day at the beach.
3. Saffron Restaurant – This Mediterranean restaurant is well known for its lovely views and indoor-outdoor seating. Enjoy stunning sunsets while feasting on some of the most sumptuous dishes on the island.
Places to Stay near Black Sand Beach
Here are some of the best places to stay near the Black Sand beach:
1. The West Langkawi Resort – This luxury property is perfect for those who value comfort and convenience over everything else. The resort is only a few kilometers from the beach, and you can access almost all the main attractions on the island from this property.
2. The St. Regis Langkawi – The hotel is within the close reach to the beach, as well as the jetty. You can easily take a trip to any of the landmarks on Langkawi island. Amenities include car service to the town, laundry, wifi, and 24-hour front desk.
3. Adya Hotel – This four-star accommodation offers some of the most stylish rooms and well-equipped accommodation options on the island. It is decorated in authentic Arab décor, and comes with en suite bathrooms, wifi, and flatscreen TVs.
Medical Facilities at Black Sand Beach
Medical facilities on the beach specifically, and on the island generally, are available for everyone, but they are not very prompt. Some of the nearest hospitals and clinics are as follows:
1. Langkawi Hospital
2. Klinic Govin
3. Klinic Perdana
However, it should be noted that wait times on the island can be a bit long, and treatment is done on a first come, first serve basis. Therefore, it is better to take precautions and try to find a way to mitigate any accidents in the first place, instead of visiting the hospital. If you have a minor ailment, it is better to consider one of the smaller clinics listed above.
Things to Carry while going to Black Sand Beach
Here are some of the most important things you must carry when you visit the Black Sand Beach:
1. Carry an umbrella if you are going in monsoons, as rain showers are quite frequent in this region
2. Also make sure you have a rain jacket or poncho
3. Evenings at the beach can get chilly, so make sure you have a light jacket or sweater
4. Mosquito repellant is a must when visiting Langkawi island
5. If you want to take a walk on the beach, make sure you wear walking shoes and carry a pair of flip flops
6. The beach offers some stunning views of the area, so make sure you have a camera
7. All your passport, visa, paperwork and credit and debit cards should definitely be in your purse
8. Don’t forget to bring sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen as it can get quite sunny during the day
Water Sports Available on the BeachThe waters at the beach are not suitable for swimming. But, you can still enjoy fishing here. Since it was originally part of a fishing village, the beach still has a traditional, wooden jetty where many fishing boats are moored. It is a great place for fishing and you can spend an entire afternoon enjoying hanging out here.
Travelers’ Tip before Visiting Black Sand Beach
Here are some tips for making your trip to the beach pleasant:
1. The conditions at the beach are not ideal for sunbathing or picnicking
2. Don’t swim in the waters here. They contain some heavy minerals that can be harmful to the skin.
3. The region has a lot of mosquitoes, so make sure you always carry a mosquito repellant.
4. There are some dangerous jellyfish in the waters here, so don’t get too close to the ocean.
5. Public transport on the island can be a bit of hit and miss, so plan your trip accordingly.
6. Don’t consume water from the tap or any open water source. Always drink bottled water only.
7. Don’t litter or throw things here and there on the beach.