Galeria Perdana is a treasure trove of valuable presents and souvenirs that former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad received during his 24-year reign. This museum has over 9000 exhibits of items like antique cars, priceless artefacts, ceremonial swords, and antique jewellery, but only 2000 are on display at a given time. In addition to its massive collection of rare objects, Galeria Perdana is also renowned for its splendid architecture featuring intricate artworks, hanging chandeliers, and beautifully landscaped gardens.
Visit Galeria Perdana as it is one of the most highly recommended Langkawi places to visit. It is a museum that showcases a rare collection of artwork and craft. It especially is designed to exhibit the awards and recognition of the fourth and the longest serving Prime minister of Malaysia - Dr Mahathir Bin Mohamad. The Galeria in a way is the country's attempt to showcase love and respect for their former minister.
The entire space is spread across over 5 acres of land and also houses landscapes gardens having various shrubs, plants and trees and herbs.
Location: Jalan Ayer Hangat, Mukim Kilim
Timings: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm on all days
Entry Fees: RM 10 for foreign tourists - adults and RM 4 for children.
For Malaysians - RM 5 for adults and RM 2 for adults.
Click Here to Book: Langkawi Discovery Helicopter Private Tour
Also Read: Places to Visit in Langkawi
• Catch a glimpse of stunning gift items made in different materials like wood, lacquer, glass, and crystal. Also, admire the exquisite collection of items made of copper, silver, bronze, and pewter.
• Marvel at the beautiful collection of tapestries, precious gemstones, jewellery, musical instruments, and weaponry.
• Witness some of the most spectacular Islamic artworks, paintings, and intricately designed porcelain items, including the stunning sculpture ‘Window of Opportunity’ crafted by Gerald Takawira of Zimbabwe.
• View the expensive and rare items gifted to Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad’s wife when she was the First Lady of Malaysia.
• Explore the impressive collection of antique cars and bicycles owned by the former Prime Minister, including a wooden bike and a Formula 1 race car.
• Relax and stroll around the greenhouse that stores a wide variety of herbs and other plants.
• While you admire the collections housed in the museum, make sure to observe the mesmerising architecture of the building, including its ornate walls and hanging chandeliers.
• Visit the reading room and immerse yourself in the vast collection of books and reference materials from all around the world.
You can take a taxi from Kuah Town and reach Galeria Perdana. Inside the museum you have to walk to the galleries.
Popular Read: Activities to Do in Langkawi
The best days to take a trip to Galeria Perdana are on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. This is because Galeria Perdana is less crowded these days, allowing you to explore it more closely.
Also Know: Best Things to Do in Langkawi in 3 Days
Places to Visit near Galeria Perdana
1. Langkawi Nature Park: Langkawi Nature Park is a sanctuary which extends up to 25 acres along Jalan Ayer Hangat. It is home to more than 2,500 birds belonging to 150 different species. Inside the park there is a walk-in aviary which is home to 1,500 birds in natural habitat with a 15 metre high artificial waterfall providing water to the inhabitants of the park.
2. Durian Perangin Waterfall: You can reach the summit of the small waterfall by an easy climb up to 100 metres. Surrounded by lush rainforest it is a popular picnic spot for the locals. You can also enjoy swimming in the refreshing water of the drop pool of the waterfall.
3. Kilim Karst Geoforest Park: A perfect green haven near Galeria Perdana where you can enjoy river tour on boat and other adventure sports amidst the greenery of mangrove forest. The floating restaurant inside the GeoPark is a nice retreat for dining in the backdrop of forest and lagoons.
4. Eagle square Langkawi: The Eagle square is one of the highlighted attractions near Galeria Perdana. Sited next to a jetty, the 13 ft. high massive monument of a reddish brown eagle facing the sea in a ready-to-fly is one of the best known architectures of Langkawi. The monument is placed on a star shaped platform overlooking the bay. Inside the premises of the square there are miniature footbridges and fountains, terraces and covered pavilions where you can relax and appreciate the beauty of its surroundings.
5. Idaman Suri Kuah: A great place to satisfy your shopping spree near Galeria Perdana. A wide range of kitchenware and household products are available at duty free prices.
6. Half-day mangrove boat safari: Explore the exotic biota of Langkawi mangroves in a 4 hours' boat ride along the creeks. You can spot kingfishers, eagles, dolphins, otters and other animals in the dense forest skirting the water bodies.
7. Langkawi Cable Car: In a thrilling cable car ride between the Mat Cincang Mountain and Oriental village, you can get a bird’s eye view of the entire archipelago and Southern Thailand. In the cable station there is a 3D Art Museum which you can visit during this ride as a part of the package. Click Here to Book: Langkawi Cable Car Tickets
8. Sunset Party Yacht Cruise: Going for a cruise in a beautifully decorated and well equipped yacht? If yes, you are guaranteed a fun filled day and its happy ending. Good food, good music and excellent service by the crew set the right tone for a perfect yacht party. The bonus is watching a stunning sunset on the skyline of the Andaman Sea.
9. Jet Ski Tour around Langkawi Archipelago: In a Jet Ski tour around the Langkawi archipelago you can visit eight islands and spot wild animals on the land as well as in the sea waters. It is a small group tour led by an experienced guide in which you can undertake adventure activities in different islands.
Places near Galeria Perdana are crammed with restaurants and motels that will cater to your taste buds as well as your pocket. You can relish authentic Malay cuisines and other delectable platters in the following eateries around Galeria Perdana:
1. Cliff Restaurant and Bar- The restaurant specialises in Malay and Continental dishes with an innovative twist that certainly make one’s day. Don’t forget to try their signature cocktails such as Romantic Poison Rose and Espresso Martini. The spacious dining area holds a capacity of 120 heads while the bar accommodates 40 persons at a time.
- Address: Lot 63 & 40, Jalan Pantai Cenang (behind Underwater World), Ph: (04) 9533288 F: (04) 95532227, Opens daily between 11am- 11pm.
2. Debbie's Place Irish Pub- An ideal joint with a cosy interior. Their signature dishes include Banana Margarita, Chicken Nachos etc. which you can get at affordable prices. In the giant TV screen you can watch your favourite sport with a nightcap (a bucket of beer or two).
- Address: Jalan Pantai Cenang Ph: (04) 9559700 Opens every day from 5.30pm till late.
Suggested Read: Places to Visit in Malaysia
3. Istanbul Kabob and Seafood Restaurant: One of the must visit eateries near Galeria Perdana which promises you a gala dinner in a magical atmosphere. The meat platters and kebabs of this restaurant are highly recommended. Halaal meat is available here.
- Address: Jalan Pantai Tengah, Pantai Cenang Ph: (04) 9552100/ 3100. Open from Tues Sun between 9am- 11.30pm.
4. Artisan's Pizza: Food, ambiance, service and hospitality everything in superlative is what Artisan's Pizza is all about. If you are looking for continental platters, this place has to be in your bucket list. Their special platters include Spaghetti Bolognese, Pepperoni, Chunky Hawaian Chicken Pizza, Hot Chocolate etc.
- Address: Jalan Pantai Cenang Ph: (04) 9551232 Open daily between 9.30am- 2pm.
Checkout & Book: Langkawi Water Sports
There are a number of deluxe and budget hotels where you can enjoy plush accommodation with the bonus of visiting the nearby attractions at downtown Kuah. We have shortlisted nearest hotels to Galeria Perdana:
1. Altis Hotel Langkawi- For a budget friendly accommodation along with comfort the hotel is a worthy choice of tourists in Langkawi. It comes with an array of amenities including air conditioned rooms, blackout curtains, concierge, complimentary toiletries, free Wi-Fi and others.
2. Hotel Bahagia- There are 160 rooms in this deluxe hotel with all the amenities of chic living at the heart of the city. Amenities include free internet, airport shuttle, 24 hour security, complimentary breakfast, free parking, 24-hour front desk etc.Hotel Langkasuka- Offers a family friendly environment and a great chance to visit the major attractions of Langkawi. Rooms are air conditioned with free Wi-Fi, 24-hour front desk, fireplace, private beach and other luxurious amenities.
3. Bayview Hotel Langkawi- The 4 star hotel property located at downtown Kuah is one of the best choices of business and leisure travellers. You will be spoilt of the number of recreations that lay within a short walking distance from the hotel.
Must Read: Things to do in Malaysia
As a traveller our main objective is to make the most of our travel plan. Here’s a few insider tips for you to make your best itinerary :
1. Be polite and respectful to the locals, their customs and traditions.
2. If you are unsure of a place or something ask the locals for best advice.
3. Since the climate is generally warm and humid with occasional showers cotton or any other light fabric can be a good choice.
4. Do not touch things on display inside the museum as they are preserved meticulously for public view.
5. You can take pictures of the galleries only where photography is allowed.
Popular Read: Private Beaches in Langkawi
Here are some of Malaysia's top activities and attraction tickets that you can book via Thrillophilia: