About Durian Perangin Waterfall
Going beyond the man-made marvels in Langkawi rests the Durian Perangin Waterfall which is a hidden treasure away from the hustle-bustle. The name of this waterfall is derived from the Durian trees which surround the entire area. Situated at the northern slope of Gunung Ray, which is the highest mountain of Langkawi, the view of the water falling from that height is a mesmerizing view. While the locals visit this place quite often, the beauty of the waterfall doesn’t fail to attract the visitors either. The lush greenery and the water cascading down from that height makes the perfect place for a day picnic.
The Durian waterfall has 14-tiers and every section of the fall creates a natural pool where the visitors can take a dip. This is the perfect place for nature lovers and adventure seekers who want to stay close to nature. Walking amidst the forested parkland, the place is in abundance of lush-greenery, rock formations and also flora and fauna which are worth exploring. And while the beauty of nature is rejuvenating enough, there is also a vast number of gazebos and hut-like structures which are made to take rest. These gazebos are also the place where families gather around to enjoy a picnic beside the waterfall.
Out of all the places in Langkawi, this is one of the most satisfying and rejuvenating attractions which is surreal, clean and well-maintained. While the walk towards the lower area is quite easy and short, the climb to the uppermost falls is tedious but not that difficult. To spend a day amidst nature's lap, Durian Perangin Waterfall is the best place to visit in Langkawi. Know more about this surreal creation of nature here and mark this attraction in the must-visit places.
How to Reach Durian Perangin Waterfall
The Durian Perangin Waterfall is located around 16 km from Kuah Town on one of the islands from the group of 100 Langkawi Islands. You can either catch a flight to the island or use the waterways.
By Air: You can catch a direct flight to the Langkawi International Airport from any part of the world and cover the rest of the 20.6 KM in 25 minutes via road on a hired cab or bus.
By Sea: In case you are travelling from the main island, you may catch one of the daily ferries from the Kedah Jetty to Kuah Jetty. Further, you can hire a cab or board a bus to cover the rest of the 19 KM which would take around 25 minutes.
What Not to Miss at Durian Perangin Waterfall
Durian Perangin Waterfall is situated in isolation giving a small window to let the tourists enter it and leave after getting refreshed. This leads to limiting the options for doing things at the waterfall. Here are the very few things you could do at the waterfall.
1. Hiking: This is 14-tier water which boasts some of the most beautiful views from different levels. There is a 200-meter climb which is close to the entrance and takes one to the top level of the waterfall. While hiking to the top spot, there are many small waterfalls and pools which have various sections of the Durian waterfall.
2. Picnic: The Durian Perangin waterfall is a perfect place for a picnic with family and friends. Sitting by the gazebos or the hut-like structures, one can enjoy the view of the waterfall and have a fun and relaxing day beside the waterfall.
3. Canyoning: The Durian Perangin Waterfall is quite a loved-destination amongst the adventure junkies. There are many canyoning tours which are planned around the waterfall. This activity is managed professionally along with guided tours.
Places To Visit near Durian Perangin Waterfall
This isolated group of Langkawi islands gives you various gem’s straight from nature’s womb. You can pick any one place from the list and you will find yourself in a touch of nature:
1. Dataran Lang: This is one of the famous landmarks in Langkawi which is located at a distance of 18.5 kms. The Dataran Lang is also popularly known as the Eagle Square situated at the Kuah Jetty. The main highlight of the place is the giant sculpture of an eagle which rests on a sturdy platform.
2. Langkawi Sky Bridge: Situated at the end of the Langkawi Cable Car ride, the Langkawi Sky Bridge is a 125-metre curved suspension bridge which is worth visiting. Resting at a height of 100 meters above the sea level, this bridge is famous for being the world’s longest curved suspension bridges which gives a close view of the Mount Mat Cinchang and the panoramic views of the surroundings.
3. Langkawi Wildlife Park and Bird Paradise: Unlike other wildlife parks, Langkawi Wildlife Park and Bird Paradise gives you an unmatchable experience by letting you enter the cages of the animals. You can have a close interaction with the harmless animals by feeding and petting them. Over 150 species of animals and birds collected from around the world gives you and your kids a memorable experience at the park.
4. Galeria Perdana: An oriental design of architecture, Galeria Perdana is a beautiful building possessing all the gift items received by the Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad and his wife.
There are dedicated sections for gifts made of wood, leather, crystal, lacquer, silver, copper, brass and pewter along with sections for musical instruments, stone objects, textiles, games, weaponry, ceramics, plaques, Islamic art, automobiles and special awards.
5. Tanjung Rhu Beach: Nestled inside the dense woods of tropical flora, Tanjung Rhu is an untarnished beach offering peace and serenity to its visitors. People often visit here to experience the famous parasailing to witness the spectacular views of the cluster of hundred Langkawi Islands. The virgin beige sand of the beach and salty waves of the Andaman Sea is very much enjoyed by the tourists and they often spend time here organising picnics and sunbathing.
6. Temurun Waterfall: Falling off the cliff of a 200-metre height, Temurun Waterfall is hidden inside the tropical forests of the Langkawi Island. People often hike till here to relish the breezy atmosphere as well as the refreshing pool formed under the waterfall. You can take a dip or swim inside this natural pool to have a rejuvenating experience.
Other Essential Information About Durian Perangin Waterfall
-Timings: The Durian Perangin waterfall can be visited anytime during the daytime.
-Entry Fee: The entry to the waterfall is free
-Location: 07000 Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia
-Height: 200 meters
-Best Time To Visit Durian Perangin Waterfall: During the monsoon season which starts from September-October. During this time the water gush is at its best.
Places to Stay near Durian Perangin Waterfall
Away from the hustle and bustle of city life, Langkawi offers you some calm and cosy places to crash after that long exploration of the Durian Perangin Waterfall. Here are some options worth considering:
1. Dream Garden Resort: This is one of the places to stay in Langkawi which ensures utmost comfort and value to the money for the visitors. Resting amidst the beautiful surroundings and the quaint countryside, this place gives the ideal space to relax and rejuvenate the mind and body.
2. Bambu Getaway, Langkawi: Bambu Getaway offers beautiful wooden cottages facing the well-manicured lawns merging seamlessly into the tropical woods of Langkawi Island. You can stay at one of the cottages and expect a comfortable stay along with the authentic local cuisines. The resort also provides the best of the room services and modern facilities.
3. Kawah Padi Garden Villa Langkawi: Kawah Padi Garden Villa Langkawi has made a separate colony in the isolation from the urbanisation. You can get cosy pale yellow cottages and crash into the comfortable beds they provide. You can also hang out in the hammocks they provide in the patios and relish on the spectacular views of the lush green lawns and untarnished woods.
Places to Eat around Durian Perangin Waterfall
Visit to a new place is incomplete without tasting the tropical delicacies it has to offer you. Here are some of the places which serve you authentic Malaysian food cooked in the traditional way:
1. Restoran Kphb: A very simple set of restaurant, Restoran Kphb is the ultimate place to relish on the local cuisines. They have a wide variety of Malaysian food along with various chosen options from the continental menu.
2. Pakteh Bihun Sup: Relish on the homely food at Pakteh Bihun Sup and treat your taste buds with the authentic taste of Malaysia. You can expect some fresh and steaming hot food at this place which fits into your budget properly.
3. Scarborough Fish and Chips: An eye-catchy outdoor setting is what Scarborough Fish and Chips will provide you. You can expect some great seafood made from the freshest harvest in the serene environment provided by the cosy restaurant. Also, not just Malaysian marine delicacies, the restaurant also treats you with some choicest options from around the world.
Transportation Facilities at Durian Perangin waterfall
One can rely on the local buses and hired cabs on Langkawi Island. There are options for renting cars and driving on their own too. There is ample parking at various tourist attractions where you can park your hired cars. However, there are very few ways to connect to the main island which are either flights or ferries. Although one should prefer ferries as they are cheaper than the flights.
Medical Facilities at Durian Perangin Waterfall
Medical Facilities are quite scattered around the islands and one should carry their own medicines for first aid or some already persisting disease. However, in case of medical emergencies, there are few clinics which could be visited for first aid but eventually, you would have to transfer the patient to the main island for the latest medical facilities.
Tips For Visiting Durian Perangin Waterfall
Durian Perangin Waterfall is situated in the lap of dense woods far away from the urbanised colonies. Having said that, the trip to the falls would require precise planning and these underwritten tips might come handy while making a plan:
1. Avoid visiting the waterfall in extreme summers when the season is extremely dry as you will have to etch a lot of drinking water to the pool.
2. Bring your own swimsuit to take a dive in the natural pools made by the waterfall or you can rent swimwear from the stores at the car parking.
3. Avoid walking over the small bridge located over the water stream, as it often remains broken and can be dangerous.
4. Bring something to cover your head and protect it from the harsh sunlight.
5. You may pack some snacks and beverages on your own as you may not find it near the waterfall.