- Before starting the trip, ensure that the vehicles are in proper
working conditions as mechanic shops are less found in this region.
Also, carry a tool-kit to overcome any minor breakdowns.
- It is important to acclimatize to the weather of Leh given that it
is an altitudinous land during the Ladakh road trip. There are some
places such as Sarchu where you can stay for some time and get used to
- Clothing essentials to carry are jackets, hand gloves, thermocot
inners, socks, warm sleeping bags, chocolates, dry fruits, biscuits,
camera and cell phones.
- Keep a lot of dry fruits in stock, chocolates, and food that is not easily perishable.
- Carry ample bottles of water and buy water whenever you stop by at dhabas.
- Do not drink and drive when on the trip.
- It is advisable to drive on a full tank as the density of fuel stations are very sparse.
- Carry extra petrol or diesel in empty bottles and carry the
complete repair kit along in case the car or bike has a punctured tyre.
- ATMs can also be found only in a few places. Make sure you carry enough cash to sustain any uncertain circumstances
- Indian citizens may not require special permission to visit places
such as the Pangong Lake, Nubra Valley and Tso Moriri given that they
are close to bordering countries.
- Foreign nationals have to obtain a permission called the Protected
Area Permit and this can be arranged by a local tour operator during a
trip to Ladakh.