About Shamirpet Lake
For tourists visiting Secunderabad or Hyderabad, Shamirpet Lake is one of the most popular places in the twin-city. Located amid Secunderabad and Hyderabad, this lake was built during the reign of Nizam. This artificial lake is around 24 km north from Secunderabad and around 34 km from Hyderabad..
Shamirpet Lake is very popular among tourists who wish to go out for one-day picnics or family get-togethers. The popularity of this lake has been because of the various services that are available near the lake. There are enough options for food and stay near the lake like Aalankrita Resort, Leonia Resorts and a few restaurants..
Shamirpet Lake has been a famous place for shooting of many Telugu Films. The lake is surrounded by a road on one side and is open from the other side offering a fantastic view of the surrounding areas. One can witness many birds over the lake as this lake is very popular for bird watching. Birds like hornbill, pelicans, etc. the lake is home to many migratory as well as local birds. Jawahar Deer Park is located near the lake which is operated by the Government of Telangana.
Tourists often visit both the places as they can some fantastic birds near the lake and some animals like deer in the park. There is Police protection around the lake as the lake has witnessed a few drowning in the past. Alongside the police, one can also see the various warning and sign boards around the lake.
How to Reach Shamirpet Lake
Shamirpet Lake is around 75 km away from Hyderabad Airport. One can reach Shamirpet Lake from Airport via private cabs and buses.
By Bus: Many buses run from Rajiv Gandhi International Airport to Shamirpet Lake. These buses drive through Secunderabad and then to the lake.
By Taxi/Private cabs: Taxi and Private cab services are available near the airport. They will approximately cost you around Rs. 1300-Rs. 2000 depending on the car you opt for.
Best Time to Visit Shamirpet Lake
Though the weather around Shamirpet Lake is humid throughout the year, the best time to visit Shamirpet Lake is between November to March. As the winter season begins in November, more and more migratory birds flock around the lake.
Due to the migrating of many birds to the lake, the place has become a very popular spot for Bird watching. More and more tourists visit Shamirpet Lake during winters to see the birds flocking around the lake.
What Not to Miss at Shamirpet Lake
Things to do at Shamirpet Lake
1. Bird Watching: Shamirpet Lake is immensely popular for bird-watching in the locality as locals and tourists visit the lake to catch a look of various migratory birds. The lake is often visited by many migratory birds between November and March i.e. the winter season.
Birds like flamingos, herons, kingfishers, and other birds fly over the lake. Also, one can find the flocks of Pelican residing on the nearby trees.
2. Picnic: For people who want to get out of the busy city life and spend a day in leisure, this lake is the best place to go to. With many small restaurants and traditional dhabas around the lake, one can eat some of the fantastic food items. Rest yourself near the lake and enjoy the shining water and open clear sky.
Also, there are many resorts near the lake where one can happily spend a family day.
3. Photography: For people who are interested in photography, this place is the best spot in the town, the majestic scenery around the lake is worth capturing in your cameras.
With birds flying over the lake and the crystal clear water shining in silver, Shamirpet Lake offers some magnificent photographic opportunities.
Places to visit near Shamirpet Lake
1. Peddamma Temple: The city of Hyderabad is known for its religious and historical places and among them, the Peddamma Temple is one of the finest and the popular temples of the town. Located around 3 km from the Shamirpet Lake in the Jubilee Hills, the temple is dedicated to several gods and goddesses like Ganesha and Lakshmi respectively.
The temple is largely visited by the devotees during the Bonalu Festival. Also, the temple celebrates the festivals of Mahotsavam and Rathnotsavam in February.
2. Salar Jung Museum: Located around 10 km from the Shamirpet Lake, Salar Jung Museum is near the banks of the Musi River in the city of Hyderabad. The museum is amongst the three National Museums of India and is one of the largest in the world.
The museum houses various artifacts like various paintings, textiles, ceramics, carpets, clocks, furniture, and manuscripts from the ancient times of China, Japan, Burma (now Myanmar), Egypt, Europe, and North America. Salar Jung Museum has around 38 galleries in it and also has a library, education center, and a souvenir shop.
3.Paigah Tombs: Paigah Tombs are located in the city of Hyderabad and is the resting place of several Paigah Nobles of the Nizam’s era. The tombs are as old as 400 years and are built in the traditional Nizami way.
The tombs are often visited by tourists to witness the wonderful architecture and marvelous carvings on the tombs.
4. Himayat Sagar: Himayat Sagar or Himayat Sagar lake is an artificial lake in Hyderabad. The lake is one of the primal sources of water to the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Himayat Sagar was built in 1929-1930 with the purpose to curb the acute water supply in the nearby areas,
The lake is surrounded by lush green trees and grasses on all sides, making it one of the most beautiful lakes in the town. Himayat Sagar has become one of the most famous tourist places.
Other Essential Information About Shamirpet Lake
Location: Shamirpet, Rangareddy District, Telangana
Price: Rs. 2 for Adults and Re. 1 for Children
Timing: 9 am to 5 pm (Everyday)
Places to Eat near Shamirpet Lake
There are many dhabas and restaurants near the lake that have some of the finest foods in the town. Below are some of the places to eat near Shamirpet Lake.
1. Java Green Ameerpet: Java Green Ameerpet is located next to the lake and is very popular for its buffet food. Many people visit this restaurant for its buffet and drinks. Java Green remains open till late night and this has made the restaurant a hotspot for midnight bites.
Among its several dishes, Haleema and Paya are the finest Hyderabadi dishes that one should try.
2.Eat N Treats : This restaurant serves snacks as well as International food from the kitchens of China. Eat N Treats serves Mumbai street snacks like Pani Puri, Sev Puri, Bhel and some baked items including Puffs and Cakes.
Eat N Treats is famous for its Chinese food items like Fried Rice and Manchurian Noodles.
3. New Fouji Family Dhaba: A very popular Dhaba near the lake, New Fauji Family Dhaba serves many Indian dishes with a special blend and taste of Hyderabad. The Dhaba is quite popular for its outdoor sitting on the ‘khatiya’. Other than that, many families often visit this restaurant especially in the evening to enjoy the mild, cold breeze and have some tasty-hot food.
Fauji Dhaba is popular for its tangy and spicy ‘Tomato chutney’ in the locality. The Dhaba also has a big open area where kids and families chill and play.
4. Shahi Handi: The restaurant is among the expensive ones in the locality serving some fine wines. Shahi Handi serves many Vegetarian as well as Non-Vegetarian food items that also show that how much calories every item has.
The restaurant has Happy Hours between 4 pm to 8 pm during which the rates of Wine and a few food items are discounted and also some discount offers are available on them.