About Indira Park
Located in the centre of Hyderabad, Indira Park is situated near Lower Tank Bund Road near the famous Hussain Sagar Lake. Spread over an expanse of 76 acres, the park has been named after former Prime Minister of the country, Mrs. Indira Gandhi. Amongst the oldest parks in Hyderabad, Indira Park is also one of the most popular tourist spots in the city, frequented by children, adults as well as the elderly on a regular basis.
Even though it is located in the middle of the city, it is still quite idyllic and tranquil, where you can spend some time amidst lush green nature in solidarity, away from the chaos of the bustling city.
The park also has computerised musical fountains, along with a rock garden and a nursery, where you can buy exotic plants for yourself. One of the most unique facts about Indira Park is its construction. The park has been constructed in a way such that its design does not disturb the natural elements already present here.
At Indira Park, you can find a lot of great fruit trees and other flora. Some of these are date palm trees, mango trees, blackberry and sandalwood trees as well as kevda plantations. The exteriors of the park are further designed in the Hindu-Islamic styles of architecture, making the overall look of Indira Park even more grand and magnificent.
How to Reach Indira Park
The distance between Indira Park and Hyderabad Airport, known as Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, is almost 31.5 kilometres.
The best way to reach Indira Park from the Airport is by taking a taxi. You can also avail a pre-paid taxi from outside the airport, or alternatively take one that is metred. It is the fastest way to reach Indira Park and takes less than 45 minutes to reach.
Alternatively, you can also take a bus outside the airport, which is comparatively quiet cheaper and affordable.
Best Time to Visit Indira Park
The best time to visit Indira Park is during the winters, between the months of November and February. The weather and climate during this season are quite cool, pleasant and perfect for exploring the magnificent park.
The ideal times to visit Indira Park is between 08:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. in the mornings and then between 04:30 p.m. and 06:00 p.m. in the evenings, when the weather is quite pleasant, and there is less crowd in the park.
What Not to Miss at Indira Park
Attractions in Indira Park
Sprawling across 76 acres, Indira Park boasts of a lot of attractions for people, which they can enjoy and explore. Some of these are:
1. Hussain Sagar Lake Boating: Boating is a popular and enjoyable activity here at Indira Park. During the evenings, one can enjoy a serene boat ride on the Hussain Sagar while experiencing the beautiful musical fountain show.
2. Birdwatching: Indira Park also boasts of various birdwatching spots. Here, birdwatchers can spend time looking at numerous avian fauna species, in addition to migratory birds.
3. Rose Garden: Indira Park is home to a breath-taking rose garden. Here, you can find many bright varieties of the sweet-smelling flowers, which add a sweet aroma as well as an enchanting feel to the park.
4. Skating Area: There is also a skating area at Indira Park. Every evening, many children come here to practise the art of skating, while putting on a great display of this skill.
5. Fishing Pond: Indira Park also has a small pond in its premises. Many people come here on a regular basis to enjoy some time fishing in the pond. The pond is also home to several bright fish species.
6. Nursery: There is a commercial nursery located in Indira Park. Here, you can choose from the many different types of plants and flowers available for purchase and get them for your homes.
Places to Visit near Indira Park
After exploring the beautiful Indira Park in Hyderabad, there are quite a few places located near the park which you can visit. Some of these places are:
1. Lumbini Park: Located quite near Indira Park, Lumbini Park is a modern park where people come to unwind and de-stress after a busy day. Boasting of some of the most spectacular light and sound shows, the park has been built as a dedication to Lord Buddha.
It also has a huge Buddha statue in the middle of the Hussain Sagar Lake, which you can see after taking a boat ride from the park.
2. Snow World: Amongst the most frequently visited places near Indira Park in Hyderabad, Snow World is an indoor paradise for those who love and wish to experience the cold weather in the city. Spread over 17,000 square feet, Snow World boasts of world-class technology which produces snow as real as the original one.
With temperatures freezing up to minus 5 degree Celsius, it has a snow play area, snow slides, merry go-rounds, ice sculptures, snow mountains and much more, in addition to an ice hotel.
3. Jalavihar Water Park: Located on Necklace Road near Indira Park, the Jalavihar Water Park is the largest water and amusement park in the area, in addition to being the biggest places for recreation in the entire city of Hyderabad.
Boasting of water slides, float slides, and many other exciting rides, the water park also has dry rides.
Other Essential Information About Indira Park
-Location: Indira Park is located on Lower Tank Bund Road in Domalguda, Kavadiguda in Hyderabad, Telangana 500029.
-Timings: You can visit Indira Park in Hyderabad between 08:30 a.m. to 08:00 p.m. on all days of the week.
- Price: The entry fee at Indira Park for adults is INR 5, whereas for children it is INR 1.
Facilities at Indira Park:
In addition to the dancing fountains, food stalls and shops and the rock garden and nursery, Indira Park also has a lot of other facilities which you can enjoy. These are:
1. Food Stalls: There are numerous small food stalls and shops, in addition to vendors scattered across Indira Park, which sell snacks, water and other snacks. During your visit to Indira Park and after visiting the park in all its entirety, you can always choose to visit one of these stalls and enjoy some water and snacks.
2.Washrooms: There are several washrooms scattered around the park, which makes it very -convenient. Maintained by the Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority, the washrooms are clean, safe to use and sanitary as well.
3. Jogging and Running Tracks: Indira Park has a jogging and running track on its sides for early morning walkers and joggers. The park serves as a great place for people to carry on with their daily fitness activities, such as running, jogging, walking or even practising their exercises here.
4. Tennis Court: In the later renovation of the park, a huge tennis court was constructed for lovers of the sport. Nowadays, experts as well as amateurs spend a lot of time practising the art of tennis here.
Tips to Follow at Indira Park
Known as one of the perfect destinations in the city of Hyderabad where you can go, relax and enjoy with your friends and family, Indira Park is also a popular tourist spot. However, when visiting the Park, you need to follow some tips, which are as follows:
1. Always carry your camera when visiting Indira Park, so that you can capture beautiful moments and things available in abundance here.
2. Always wear comfortable shoes during your visit to Indira Park. This is because the park is quite big, and requires a lot of walking, which needs to be comfortable.
3. Even though there are many food stalls and restaurants near Indira Park, you still need to carry your own bottle of water along with light snacks, which you can indulge in after your visit.
4. It is advisable to budget your time by taking out at least a couple of hours from your day when visiting Indira Park. This is because the park is huge and requires a good amount of time for a greater experience.
5. It is advisable to reach during the early hours after the opening of the park to avoid morning walkers and crowds.
6. It is also recommended that you park your vehicles in the parking premises located near Indira Park.
History of Indira Park:
Indira Park, dedicated to former Prime Minister of India, Late Indira Gandhi, is a place of recreation and relaxation, located in the heart of Hyderabad, close to the famous Hussain Sagar Lake. The foundation of Indira Park was laid by former President of India, Late Faqruddin Ahmed, in the year 1975.
Subsequently, the park opened for the public in the year 1978, thereby becoming one of the oldest parks in Hyderabad. Later on, in 1994, the Park made certain additions which only added to its popularity and opulence. These included the computerised musical fountains, a rock garden, a rose garden as well as a nursery.
As of now, Indira Park is under the maintenance and management of the Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority. Next, during 2000-2002, the park was renovated yet again, with features such as a tennis court, rock sanctuary, and more were added here.