About Nehru Zoological Park
Nehru Zoological Park is one of the most iconic tourist places to visit in Hyderabad. It is also one of the largest zoos in India. The forest department of Government of Telangana runs the park. The marvellous place is sprawling over an area 380 acres and inhibits over 140 species of birds, mammals, and reptiles. A one-off feature of the park is that all the species here have been kept in their zoological order.
The park is one of its kind where the animals enjoy open enclosures which are similar to the natural spaces in which they tend to live. It adds a tinge of humanity to the park administration and also appeals to the animal-lovers. Wildlife is not the only attraction of the place. There are a plethora of activities for visitors to undertake. You can have a wild adventure at the park on various Safaris viz. Lion Safari, Bison Safari, and Bear Safari.
You can also go on a boating trip in the Mir Alam lake. The toy train ride around the park is also a favourite activity amongst tourists. The park not only provides a fun experience but also imparts education and awareness about wildlife through a range of exciting activities. Some of them include a visit to Jurassic Park, exploring the butterfly park, and touring the aquarium. The park also features a museum where artefacts and evidence of ancient life are put on exhibition.
How to Reach Nehru Zoological Park
The Hyderabad bus stand is about 9 km away from the Nehru Zoological Park. You can board a TSRTC bus from the bus station to reach the park. The intra city buses cover many stops around the city, including the park. It is the most affordable option of travelling to Nehru Zoological Park. You can also hop on a taxi or take rickshaws from the bus station. It takes about an hour to reach the park in a taxi.
Best Time to Visit Nehru Zoological Park
The best months to visit the Nehru Zoological Park is from January to March and October to December.
Spring Season: During this time, the park is awash with colours of joy and natural beauty throughout the year. You can enjoy your trip to its fullest under the mellow heat of the sun and pleasant weather. The vegetation in the park is also flourishing at this time. The humble sunlight beautifies the lush greenery around the park. The average temperature lies between 20 degrees to 30 degrees Celsius.
Winter Season: The winter months from October-November feature a cool atmosphere and relief from the scorching heat. The temperature ranges from 15 degrees to 25 degrees Celsius. It is a perfect time to explore the park in the daytime. The evenings may get a little chilly.
What Not to Miss at Nehru Zoological Park
Things to do at Nehru Zoological Park
1. Toy train ride: The toy train is a fun way of exploring the beauty of the park. It is trendy among children. The fee for the toy train is Rs. 10 per child( 3-10 years) and Rs. 20 per adult.
2. Tiger and Lion Safari: The safaris take you on an adventure ride and provides glimpses of wilderness on the way. You can watch animals like bears, bison, tigers, and deer. The charges for adults is Rs. 50 and for children Rs. 30.
3. Boating: Another fun activity to do in the park is boating at the Mir amir lake. TSTDC organises boat rides for the tourists. You can choose from variants like passenger boating and speed boating.
4. The Nocturnal house: In this unique section of the park, night environment has been recreated, so that nocturnal animals like bats, loris, owls, and cats are active during visiting hours. The entry fee is Rs. 10 for children and Rs 20 for adults.
5. Aquarium: Here you marvel at the sight of beautiful aquatic species which includes freshwater fishes and marine water species.
6. Museum: The place is replete with various exhibitions on biodiversity conservation, pieces of evidence of ancient animals(pug marks teeth, feathers, and many more), and taxidermy models.
7. Jurassic Park: Children especially love the place. It features humongous figures of various dinosaur species such as Triceratops, Stegosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus.
Attractions near Nehru Zoological Park
1. Sudha Car Museum visit: It is the first and only car museum in the world. The museum is replete with a fabulous collection of bikes, buses, cars and cycles of various sizes. The museum has designs ranging from ordinary vehicles seen on the road to whacky designs that will leave you awe-inspired. The designs are inspired by basketball, computers, football, flowers, bed, helmet and what not.
2. Chowmalla Palace: The 200 years old palace is a living testament of regality. The mansion features splendid architecture with two courtyards, clock tower, council hall and Roshan Bungalow. Intricate carvings and designs adorn the walls, and the palace overlooks a lush green lawn. It is an ideal place to relive history.
3. Snow world amusement park: The park is a perfect place to enjoy a fun day out and beat the heat. It is the first snow-themed park in the country. It boasts of games like snow merry-go-round, snow basketball, and snow dancing. There are places like the Cryo Zone, which features igloos, alpine trees and many fun rides.
4. Charminar: It is the most prominent landmark of Hyderabad. The monument is the cynosure of the city’s culture, traditions, history and glamour. It is a must-visit place on a Hyderabad tour.
Other Essential Information About Nehru Zoological Park
- Location: The Nehru Zoological Park is located on the zoo main park road, Bahadarpura west, near Mir Alam Tank in Hyderabad.
- Timings: The Nehru opens to the public from 8:30 am to 5 pm.
- Entry fee: On weekdays, the entry fee is Rs. 50 for adults and Rs. 30 for children. On weekends, it hikes up to Rs. 60 per adult and Rs. 40 per child. The still camera charge is Rs. 100 and video camera charge is Rs. 500. There are additional charges for rides, safaris, toy train ride and other activities.
- Visitor’s facility: The park provides safe drinking water, first-aid facility, toilets and washrooms, benches and shelters along with a guesthouse for accommodation.
- Parking facility: There is a separate parking facility available for the visitors. No private cars are allowed inside the park premises. The park provides battery-operated vehicles to travel around.
- Distance from Hyderabad bus stand: approximately 9 km via NH-44
History of Nehru Zoological Park
Nehru Zoological Park was established on 26th October 1959. However, the park was opened to the public on the 6th October 1963. It is named after Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India. The park was opened to conserve and breed endangered and rare species of fauna, especially the ones belonging to the Deccan plateau. The park also aimed at rehabilitating these species.
The features of the park underwent several changes over time. Many additional services and activities were added to the park to lure tourists. For example, the Lion Safari started in 1974, and the Nocturnal animal house was introduced in 1982. Over time, the park became extremely popular among tourists, and it came to be known as “The Hyderabad Zoo”. The park has helped a lot in spreading awareness among people about the importance of wildlife, their living habits and breeding patterns.
Fauna at Nehru Zoological Park
The centre of attraction at the park is the richly diverse fauna of this place. The park shelters endangered and rare species of animals, birds and aquatic life. The nearby located Mir Alam Tank attracts flocks of migratory birds from all around the world. The park provides protection, breeding and rehabilitation to endangered species. Some bird species found in the Nehru Zoological Park are egrets, macaws, geese, parakeets and lovebirds. Not only this, but the park also inhibits nocturnal species like bats and owls.
There is a wide variety in the mammal species of the park. You can find rhinoceros, Indian elephant, wolves, hyenas, cheetahs, Asiatic lion as well as the Bengal tiger. There is a long list. Besides, the park also houses reptiles such as crocodiles, snakes, lizards, tortoises, chameleon and many more. It is an enthralling experience of witnessing so many gifts of nature in one place.
Features of Nehru Zoological Park
1. Plastic-free area: One unique feature of the zoo is that it is an entirely plastic-free zone. No visitor is allowed to take plastic items like bags, packets and polythenes inside the premises. In case you’re carrying plastic packages or bags, you’ll have to submit them at the entrance. It is done to protect and conserve the abundant wildlife of the park and avoid littering.
2. Optimum security: To safeguard the property of the park and the wildlife, trained security officers are present all over the park. More 35 security personnel protect the premises. Fire-safety devices are also present in the zoo.
3. Lost and found facility: The security at the gate and the park staff is very prompt and helpful in finding lost items at the park.
4. Parking: A separate parking space is present for two and three-wheelers. You will have to buy a parking ticket from the security counter against a minimal charge.
Experiences at Nehru Zoological Park
Nehru Zoological Park provides a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here you will witness the various colours of nature blending into one before your eyes. You will enjoy a lush green environment, a rich diversity of magnificent fauna, educational activities, and thrilling safaris- all stuffed into one package.
You will experience nature closer than ever before. The glorious denizens of the jungle such as the Asiatic lion and the Bengal tiger(the national animal of India) will make you feel the raw beauty of mother nature. Children can learn about their responsibility towards animals and nature on exploring different aspects of Nehru Zoological Park. Visit this place to experience a sense of belongingness to the environment.
Places to Stay near Nehru Zoological Park
1. Treebo Trend dove: The hotel provides a quality stay with all the necessary amenities. The rooms are clean and have classy interiors. The staff is quite hospitable, and the room service is also prompt. It is an ideal option to stay with the family.
2. FabHotel Mansingh: The hotel features clean and cosy rooms equipped with all amenities. It also offers an in-house restaurant and a gym for the guests. It is an affordable stay option for travellers.
3. Sree Chandana hotel: The hotel offers a lovely ambience and state of rooms. It provides a feel of the Hyderabadi culture. The staff is accommodating and courteous. The team gives attention to detail and offers excellent services.
4. Lake View homes: It is a luxurious stay option and offers a comfortable experience to the guests. Cellar parking and valet parking is also available at the entrance. The rooms are well maintained and give off a homely vibe to the guests. The food served in the restaurant is also delicious and offers traditional Hyderabadi tastes. The location of the hotel is on the road and thus very accessible.
5. Hotel Sai Prakash: The hotel features old-style rooms with high-maintenance, sleek decor and classy furniture. The staff is welcoming and room service is promptly available 24/7. You can order tasty food from nearby restaurants.. This hotel is also very close to Nampally station and thus easily accessible.
Places to Eat near Nehru Zoological Park
1. Diamond Restaurant: The hotel provides nice ambience and good food at reasonable prices. It is located on the zoo road. It is especially famous for its Hyderabadi Biryani, omelette paratha, and chicken. Parking facility is also available at the restaurant.
2. Padmavati Hotel: It is a good option for people who want to have scrumptious vegetarian food. The rice and curry dish served by the restaurant is utterly delicious and reminds of homemade food. The ambience of the place is also lovely, and the staff is humble and helpful.
3. Hotel Nishat: The restaurant provides an affordable dining experience. The food is good, and quality service is offered by the staff. Guests especially love the Bagara Khana of this place.
4. Fiza Hotel and bakers: The restaurant offers tasty non-veg food and a pleasant environment. Family section is also available in the restaurant. You will find Hyderabadi dishes and desserts like Qurbani ka Meetha and mutton. Delicious bakery items like pastries and cakes are also available.
5. Sai Kailash Dhaba: It is a pure veg eatery with mouth-watering food. The interiors are basic with charming décor. The ambience of the restaurant is beautiful, and they also provide separate family sections. The service is also quick and comfortable.
Things to keep in mind before visiting
1. Visit early to buy tickets, especially on weekends as there is an enormous crowd on holidays and weekends. You won’t get the tickets online.
2. You will require at least 3-4 hours to tour around the entire park, so plan your trip accordingly.
3. If you’re carrying food or any necessary items with you, make sure you pack it in cloth or paper bags as plastic is strictly prohibited inside the park.
4. If you’re visiting with children, carry necessary items like packed food, napkins, and water with you.
5. The entry fee taken is just for getting inside the park, there are extra charges for all other attractions for which you can buy tickets inside.