About Aguada FortAguada is a Portuguese word which means “Water" so basically this Fort was renowned as the biggest water reservoir in Asia. As you will visit the campus of Aguada Fort you can easily remember the scenes by several Bollywood movies which were shot here. You will be amused by the beauty of this place.You can witness the endless sea, a beautiful lighthouse and an amazing fort which altogether will give you feel of a perfect landscape.
This fort was built by the Portuguese rulers and has beautiful Italian design carved on the walls. You can see a massive reservoir and a huge bell there. The Fort has a glorious history and is seen as an important part of Nation as it stands holding the pride and conveying its significance to the generations. You can also see the gunpowder room in the upper fort and it is said that earlier there were 200 cannons installed for the defence of locals.
Its brilliant architecture as well as the breath-taking views it offers of the Arabian Sea collectively make it a top tourist fascination in the region. It is also a great spot to watch sunsets while in the Party Capital of India.
How to Reach Aguada Fort
The fort is located on the pristine beach in Sinquerim village near Candolim.
- From Panji: If you are planning to visit the beautiful structure known as Aguada Fort, you can choose the roadways with the help of buses and taxis, which are readily available there. It will take you approx 40 minutes to reach the Fort as it is 15kms away.
- From Goa International Airport: If you wish to visit the Aguada Fort, you can hire a taxi or a bike and can also get buses from here. It will take you approx an hour or more to reach the Fort as it is 40 kms away from here.
Best Time to Visit Aguada Fort
If you are planning to visit the Magnificent Fort you can choose the months from October to March. During these months, you will be accompanied by the pleasant weather which will add more fun while you explore the beautiful Aguada Fort.
If you wish to know the best time during the day to visit this place you can go either visit Aguada Fort in the morning or in the evening as during these hours you won’t be facing the scorching sunlight which will make your visit more fun and satisfying.
What Not to Miss at Aguada Fort
Places to visit near Aguada Fort
There are several other places that you will enjoy visiting and are near to this beautiful structure of the Aguada Fort which will also be worthy of your time. You can visit places like :
1. St Remdius Chapel: It is an ideal destination for a great time with your dear ones. You can not only enjoy the attractions of this popular tourist spot, but this place also enables you to steal a self-indulgent moment for yourself as well. With so much to attract your thoughts and offer you pleasure at its best, get soaked in the character of adventure that you get to explore here.
2. Sinquerim Beach: It gives a variety of water-sports activities which combines windsurfing, fishing, water-skiing, scuba diving, etc. Also, you can enjoy the gorgeous Sinquerim beach with spiritual benefits, including meditation, yoga, exercises, and experience nature's beauty.
3. Calizz: Also known as the heart of Goa this place is popular for Photo Fanatics, Experience Seekers, History Buffs as it is a living museum of Goan life through the ages. If you are visiting Goa this place should be in the must-visit section of your list. Anyone who wants to know about the core of Goa can be visit here and this place will not let you down.
4. Chaku Arts & Crafts: This place is well-known for exclusive gifts collection and you can easily get walnut wood carving at it's best hand-carved furniture and souvenirs.
Other Essential Information About Aguada Fort
-Location: The Aguada Fort is located in Candolim, Goa. It is 10.3 km away from the Baga beach and 15 km from Panjim.
-Timings: You can visit the grand fort anytime between 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM, and it is opened all the days of the week.
- Fee: For exploring this fantastic fort, you need not pay anything. It is completely free.
About Aguada Fort Jail and Lighthouse
Aguada Fort holds many stories, and the Aguada Fort Jail and the Lighthouse contribute equally for its glorious existence and history. The Aguada Fort is home to a beautiful four-storeyed lighthouse, which was built in 1864 and is said to be the oldest lighthouse of Asia. It was also abandoned in 1976, but later it was reconstructed, making sure that it should be safe for the people to climb up and experience the eternal beauty of nature.
This magnificent structure dominates the landscape of the Fort. The fantastic view of the setting sun blended with pristine water from the top of the lighthouse is so charming that it can seize the heart of anyone who comes here. You can climb up to the top of the lighthouse through a spiral staircase, enjoy the aw-strucking view and picturesque view of the North Goa coastline and the extent of the Arabian sea.
The Aguada jail was built in 1612 is one of the most significant and best-preserved representations of Portuguese power in Goa. It is located below the Aguada Fort and was once Goa's largest prison which has been shut down from 2015. Now, the government has come up with the proposals to turn this historic jail into a heritage site and museum. The tremendous dome reservoir in the central yard, the four-storeyed lighthouse, and the giant bell inside of it are all symbols of a notable era that passed. You will be amused by the designs and architecture of the place.
History About Aguada Fort
Aguada Fort was built by the Portuguese rulers who ruled Goa during the 17th century. It was beautifully designed by the architect named Julião Simã. This majestic structure showcases the amazing Italian design. It was made with a purpose to secure and secure the Portuguese in Goa from the Maratha and Dutch intruders. It was also used for providing freshwater supply to the ships passing by in the Arabian Sea.
The Aguada Fort can hold 2,376,000 gallons of water, and due to this, it was one of the most important freshwater reservoirs of Asia. This is not all the lower part of the fort was used to keep the ships of the Portuguese rulers safe. Adding to its significance you will also witness a lighthouse which was built in 1864 and is said to be the oldest lighthouse of Asia. The view which can be seen from the top of the lighthouse is simply divine. You can also see the Aguada Fort Jail in the lower part of the Fort which was in use till 2014 and now is seen as the upcoming heritage site and museum.
Architecture of Aguada Fort
Standing with pride with the legacy of about 400 years, Fort Aguada is a vast and spectacular citadel defining the panorama of Goa. This majestic fort was built up with the Laterite stone, which was easily available in Goa. With a height of 5m and thickness of 1.3m, this Fort showcases Italian designs. It is an excellent illustration of the Portuguese military style of architecture. The fort is categorized into two parts – the top section and the lower section.
The uppermost section was designed to serve as a fort and a vast watering station. The lower section is a stretched safe place for the ships belonging to the Portuguese rulers. The Aguada Fort can hold 2,376,000 gallons of water, and due to this, it was one of the most important freshwater reservoirs of Asia. The lighthouse within the campus of fort is the beautiful structure that will blow your mind when you will witness the natural scenery after climbing at the top.
The Aguada jail has also been designed in a way that gives goosebumps and showcase the disciplined mentality of the Portuguese ruler. One of the most appealing peculiarities of the fort's architecture is a hidden exit that was designed to help the occupants escape in the case of a crisis or war.
Tips for Visiting Aguada Fort
Tips which can be used by you and will help you enjoy your visit and add more fun and satisfaction to it are:
1. If you want to enjoy the place to the fullest avoid going during the afternoon time-period either choose the morning hours or the evening ones.
2. Wear comfortable clothes and footwear so that you can roam around and explore without facing any kind of disturbance.
3. Make sure that you keep your surroundings clean by not littering inside the fort and on the adjacent beach.
4. If you feel like having a break and want to restore your energy you can visit the restaurants nearby which serve delicious dishes.
5. While climbing the lighthouse make sure that you follow the instructions given by the staff there so that you can avoid any mishappening and can have a beautiful experience.
6. The iconic lighthouse gives you a breathtaking view and the place is perfect for photography.