About Brahmagiri HillTo enjoy the beauty of nature, it is important to become a part of it. A visit to Brahmagiri hill will enliven your spirit and relax your soul for your true encounter with nature here. A green treat for your eyes, the lush mountain ranges are located in the Western Ghats.
It is an absolute treat to travelers who will be surprised by what this site has to offer. If one has to name a paradise on earth, then it truly has to be Brahmagiri hills for its breath-taking beauty. The area is replete with green hills, affluent foliage and a pollution-free environment.
Brahmagiri hills form a part of Kodagu district of the beautiful Karnataka as well as Wayanad district of God's own country, Kerala. Since the hills are a part of Western Ghats, you will see thick and dense foliage almost throughout the year. The rains make the place very beautiful and inviting. The Brahmagiri hills stand at an elevation of 5276 feet and the views from atop are truly stunning. The hills have caught on with the visitors as it promises a wholesome experience.
Apart from admiring the gorgeous landscape, you can also visit the ancient temple of Lord Vishnu called Thirunelli temple. The temple is said to be constructed by Lord Brahma after which the hills have been named. From trekking and trailing to visiting religious sites and photographing, the place is inclusive of everything and will be loved by visitors of all tastes. The place is a complete package of hills, small gushes of waterfalls, adventure, forest and wildlife.
Location: Located in an area bordering Kodagu district and Wayanad district, the Brahmagiri hills is approximately 7 hours away from Bengaluru and is located 250 km from there.
Weather: The weather here is pleasant almost throughout the year and visit to this location can take place throughout the year. This hilly delight offers cool and misty weather all year making it an attractive location enjoyed throughout the year. But if you want to make the best out of this natural beauty, it is best visited in the months between October and May because vegetation during these months is blooming like never before. The average temperature during this time ranges from 24 degrees to 29 degrees with rainfalls.
Timing and Fee: A trek here is one of the most pursued activities. People love getting on the peak point here which stands 5276 feet tall from the ground. If one has to trek and reach on top, then it will take at least 3 hours to reach the zenith. The peak is extremely famous for trekking, camping, bird gazing and photography. Entry fee of Rs 275 per head is charged. The best time to visit here is from 9.00 AM.
How to Reach Brahmagiri Hills
By Rail – You can opt to reach the nearest train to Mysore railway station and from there you can easily access the hills on a taxi ride. The taxi will drop you off at the base of the hills.
By Air – The closest airport to the Brahmagiri hills is the Mysore airport. The distance between the airport and the hills is approximately 120 km. Once you reach the airport, you can take a cab from the airport directly to the base of the Brahmagiri hills.
By Road – The areas near Brahmagiri hills are connected well with extremely well-maintained roads. You can reach here by road which is considered the preferred mode of commuting. The moment you reach the base, you will have to trek your way up to the hills through the umpteen tourist spots and dense jungle.
Trek Routes to Brahmagiri Hills
The trek to Brahmagiri hills is considered of moderate difficulty. The trail passes through thick dense forests and different river streams that make it worth the effort. Usually, the base of treks is the Iruppu temple and the time between October to May is considered the best time to take these treks.
The most favoured route for the trek is from Thirunelli forest department. There are two ways of reaching Thirunelli. Route one is shorter and goes through Nagarhole national park. The park shuts by 6. If the timing is not an issue then this can be an option.
The second route is from Mysore to Thirunelli via Gundlupet and Sultan Bathery. In the beginning, the trekker has to walk for 3 km over the jeep train until one reaches the watchtower. This walk is easy to handle but the path is laden with leeches. From the watchtower, the climb gets steeper and difficult. For another 3 km, the walk tends to be rough yet adventurous. The views are worth the struggle after that.
Traveller’s Tips for Visiting Brahmagiri Hill
- The best time to visit here is between October and May. The months after that can be slightly challenging with torrential rains hitting the zone.
- Carry sufficient food and water supply with you.
- Private vehicles too can be hired from Srimangala.
- Beware of animals like elephants and other wild animals on your way to the trek.
- The Sanctuary includes a lot of animals like Langur, Lion-tailed Macaque, Bonnet Macaque etc. You have to be careful while you are there.
- Get Legal permission in the form of a pass from the Forest department before you start the trek.
- Carry first-aid kit with you.
- Do not even think of not following the rules and regulations put up by the forest department.
- Things to Carry for a trek to Brahmagiri Hill
- If you are ready to set off for an adventurous time in the hills, there are some necessities you need to carry-
- Spacious backpacks are a must because it will help you organise your storage better.
- Medication and toilet supplies are a must in this backpack.
- If you are trekking when it rains, then carry a raincoat to ensure your trek doesn't suffer.
- Your shoes too are important here, especially the ones with a good grip to take you through rough terrain.
- Your clothes matter too. Wearing track pants and an easy t-shirt along with a cap is a must.
- A flashlight is an absolute must with batteries.
History of Brahmagiri Hill
Brahmagiri is a mountain range that has several tourist attractions in its boundaries. There is the famous Thirunelli temple which is known as the Kashi of the South. The temple is an ancient styled structure that was believed to be constructed by Lord Brahma himself. There is also a cave called Pakshipathalam which is said to be used by the rishis for staying and resting on their way up.
Iruppu falls is also an added attraction at the Brahmagiri hills which is believed to be where Ram and Lakshman stopped to quench their thirst while they were searching for Sita. When they reached there, Lakshman shot an arrow pointed on the hills and the point and water sprung from the point where the arrow hit the hill. The Brahmagiri is full of ancient history and culture with interesting facts to make it a great place to visit.
Attractions and Activities at Brahmagiri Hills
Trekking – Trekking here is a different experience altogether. Trekking is considered as the most preferred activity here because it has a moderate level of difficulty that excites seasoned trekkers. Apart from the great trek, the sights that are presented before the trekkers behold their attention which makes their strenuous trek worth the effort. When you trek, there are many places like the Iruppu falls and Thirunelli temple that you will encounter on your way. Trekking becomes all the more interesting when you will spot the beautiful vegetation and blooming flowers along with some rare species of fauna.
Photography – Indulge and test your photography skills amidst the gorgeous backdrops the Brahmagiri hills. You can carry your selfie sticks or professional cameras with you so that you capture the true spirit of the location. The hills often engulfed with blooming flowers and foliage throughout the year, the view is apt for photography. Even when you are trekking, you can stop at various points and take pictures. When you reach atop, the sunset views are mind-boggling and provide the perfect reason to click the orange hues of the sun.
Cherish the Natural beauty – Lovers of beauty and nature, Brahmagiri is a place to be loved and adored. Also for those who do not want to go for treks but want to sit back and sink in the beauty of nature, this place is surely worth relishing. When you sit by the Iruppu falls, you will realise that meditating with just the sound of water gushing is the biggest form of peace. Your visit to the temple through dense forests will surely tempt you to take another trip here.
Bird watching – One of the most delightful things for avid bird watchers, there are about 15 types of winged beauties ready to be seen and clicked by you. Some of the birds that hover and reside here are Gray-breasted Laughing thrush, Grey-headed Bulbul, Nilgiri Laughing Thrush, Rufous Babbler, Wood-pigeon, White-bellied Shortwing and Broad-followed Grassbird, White-bellied Treepie, Wayanad Laughing Thrush, White-bellied Blue-flycatchers & the Crimson-upheld Sunbird.
Nagarhole National Park – The Park is also known as the Rajiv Gandhi National park and is a part of the Nilgiri reserve. The park is a beautiful spot filled with gigantic falls, white runny streams as well as dense forests. The park is quite famous for the rich pack of animals and birds found here. It is also credited with having the highest density of herbivores animals in Asia and a great place to spot lions, tigers, bears and elephants.
Thirunelli temple – One of the oldest temples found here, the Thirunelli temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It stands at a height of 900 meters and has some great sights of mountains and hills overlooking it. The temple is famous for gooseberries because it was believed that Lord Vishnu rested here on the Gooseberry tree. Over the years, the temple became an important centre for pilgrimage, especially during the rule of Chera dynasty.
Camping – For wanderlusts, camping options are doable. The awe-inspiring mountain ranges and rugged trek motivates camping. To enjoy the panoramic vistas of the beautiful sky, do not think twice before unzipping your camping bag for the night. Spend your night gazing at the clear skies with the star shining down on you. The camping experience will surely give you a great experience of surviving in the wilderness.
Brahmagiri wildlife sanctuary – Located in Kodagu district, the sanctuary gets its name from the Brahmagiri peak which is 1607 meters high. The area is full of forests and the portion atop the hill has many animals that include Giant Flying squirrels, spotted deer, Nilgiri Marten, Brown Mongoose and many more. There are many varieties of snakes as well in the sanctuary. You will also find some rare birds housed here.
Other Important Information
1. Places to Stay
You have the option of opting for various homestay options at the foothills of the peak. These homestays are in the middle of coffee plantations and the wonderful views these homestay options offer is unmatchable. The experiential stay different and entertaining compared to the boring routine you usually follow. Apart from various homestay options and camping on your trek, you can stay at luxurious resorts like Evolve Back, Arayal Luxury resort, contour Island and much more.
- Evolve Back - For a pleasant and peaceful stay amidst nature, Evolve is a great option to look forward to. It is bordered by the Cauvery River and is surrounded by forests. A woody feeling will envelop you the moment you step into this marvellous haven.
- Tiger County Jungle Lodge - Not just any jungle lodge, this property serves a comfortable stay and great food. The lodge is located in a secluded place away from any disturbance. This hidden gem has a beautiful setting amidst coffee plantations.
- Mayookham Resort - A grandeur representation of cottages with every modern facility you might demand is what defines this place. It is by all means a regular resort providing you with luxurious amenities and services that might charm you back here.
2. Places to Eat
If you enjoy south Indian cuisine with a mix of their spices and cooked with love, then there are many south Indian food places near the hills.
- Hotel Sapthagiri - It specialises in authentic south cuisine and other Indian cuisines. The atmosphere here is relaxed and the staff extremely well-trained and prompt.
- Café Robusta - On the other hand, if you are interested in getting some sandwiches and fast food, then Café Robusta also can be explored. The location is close to Nagarhole national park and you will get a variety of finger foods, drinks and shakes to keep it light.
3. Transportation – The Brahmagiri hills is easily accessible. The places are easily accessible by different road networks from different sides. Also, you can easily access the area from different buses because the stop is extremely famous. Special buses can also be found that specifically drops you here. By train and air, you can access the hill from Mysore. One can easily get cabs and taxis to bring you here from Mysore.
4. Medical Facilities – The Brahmagiri hospital is not out of civilisation and that is the reason why the area has some good hospitals and medical centres. There is a large government hospital and a public health centre nearby. A separate family health centre is also located in Appapara which is not very far from there. But it is advisable to carry your own set of medicines and first aid kit while you are on your trip.
5. Network Connectivity – The network connectivity cannot be said as being the best here. The mobile connectivity is shaky considering the aloofness as well as the weather. The forest departments function on walky-talky sets for communication because wireless communication apart from this is a lot to be desired.