The Al Wathba Fossil Dunes is an attraction that features unique structures that have been formed over many years with wind-swept sand. Located on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi, this place is known for its scenic views and architecturally beautiful formations.
The formations of Fossil Dunes were created as the fine grain sand was compacted and cemented together with the help of various minerals, and salt crystals into visually beautiful and stable structures.
With the sun setting at a distance, merging the earthy brown color of the sand, and the deep blue sky into a scarlet red, it makes for the perfect location to visit. Especially during sunsets.
One of the factors which makes place visit-worthy every time you are in Abu Dhabi is the interplay of the wind directions and strength, along with the sediment supply that constantly changes the shape of these fossils. This makes it a whole new experience every time you come here.
Along with the picturesque view that comes before you, the location is perfect for you to spend the day and click pictures, especially in the hours of the early morning. It also makes for a great camping spot in the evening.
If you are looking to explore the desert, this place makes for the perfect spot as along with the breathtaking and spectacular view, you get the chance to experience the art of nature at work.
Although not known to many tourists, the Al Wathba Fossil Dunes have interested many celebrities and Hollywood movies as well. This breathtaking place has been featured in the film Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) and the movie Six Underground (2019).
• Located on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi, Al Wathba Fossil Dunes is one of the most attractive tourist spots in the country
• This place is the perfect spot to witness the sunset
• The fossils are beautiful structures that are very unique and ever-changing because of the wind and sand sediments
• There are a number of attractions in Al Wathba like the wetland reserve where you can find many species of birds including flamingos
• The long salt lake is also situated in Al Wathba and features a picturesque destination that is perfect for pictures
• The fossil dunes are one of the most fascinating and peaceful spots in Abu Dhabi that offers a great view of the structures
The Al Wathba Fossil Dunes is located 70 km to the south of Abu Dhabi Island. It comes after the Mussafah and Mohammed Bin Zayed City on the Al Ain Truck Road. First, you will see the Al Wathba Wetland Reserve from where you need to head south. It is highly recommended that you use a 4x4 to easily park and take a scenic walk to the main site. The exact coordinates to reach the Fossil Dunes are
The best time to visit the Al Wathba Fossil Dunes is during the winter months, typically from October to April. Once you park your car, you have to walk to the main site, and there are no places nearby. If you want to enjoy the view and the sunset, visiting this place during colder months will give you an added advantage. Another great option is to come during autumn, typically in September when the weather is not as cold but rather more pleasant.
Places to Visit near Fossil Dunes Abu Dhabi
1. Bani Yas Public Park: A park that is famous among families and is equipped with various play areas and resources for toddlers to play and others that accommodate older children as well. It is the perfect place for picnics as it has well-groomed grass and a large number of trees. It is ideal for looking to spend a few hours in peace and in the middle of luscious plants.
2. Kidoos Entertainment: This is a place that caters to children's entertainment and offers various activities devoted to young children's physical, emotional, and social development. It is a state-of-the-art playground made of children, and consists of a zone for toddlers, a snow park, rope adventures, interactive games, and much more.
3. Al Wathba Long Salt Lake: The Long salt lake is located just off the road and is a beautiful place with huge man-made channels filled with rich emerald green water encrusted around the salt, which gives it a snowy look, especially around the edges. It also has a stretch of green water with huge salt formations between them with big and round pads that look like salt mushrooms.
4. Sheikh Zayed Heritage Festival: This festival is named after the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founding father of the United Arab Emirates. This festival celebrates the culture of the country, its Rich diversity, legacy and inheritance. Visitors can take a look into the art, craft, customs, and food.
5. Al Wathba Wetland Reserve: The Emirate is known to be one of the unique natural geographies that are very diverse. It includes majestic mountains and nature reserves. The Al Wathba Wetland Reserve is known for the major population of Great flamingos. It houses an average of 4000 flamingos—the most during autumn and spring.
6. Emirates National Auto Museum: Located near the South of Abu Dhabi, the Emirates National Auto Museum showcased 230 custom vehicles that are vintage and were originally owned by Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan, who was known as the Rainbow Sheikh.
The Fossil Dunes is famous for the formations that have been formed over the years that have given rise to these cemented structures that continue to change because of the wind and sand.
This site is known for the perfect sunset location and is great for picnics and camping.
The Fossil Dunes is the perfect place for you to spend the day because of the rare view. The structures, also known as fossils, are known for their ever-changing nature and people often describe the place as "nature's artist at work". This place is very picturesque and is definitely worth visiting.
The best way to enjoy the Fossil Dunes as a whole experience is by spending an entire day discovering everything this place has to offer. Visiting the fossils early in the morning is the best time, after which you can set up a picnic or even visit other places around.
The Fossil Dunes is a family-friendly place. Although with no eateries around, you might need to bring food and water for young kids, the fossil dunes are a place that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Taking pictures in the Al Wathba Fossil Dunes is allowed, but certain areas around the dunes are not permitted for photography as the army base is around this area.