About Louvre MuseumLouvre Abu Dhabi, iconic as well as a universal museum is renowned as a premier cultural institution built in the heart of Saadiyat Cultural District. The museum opened its doors on 11th November 2017. Designed by Jean Nouvel, Pritzker prize-winning architect, this museum covers an area of about 9200 sq. m galleries which include both the Permanent and Temporary galleries. These are enriched with loans from remarkable French museums that includes Centre Pompidou, Musee du Louvre, Musee d’ Orsay.
This museum is different from other museums in Abu Dhabi as it has some extraordinary collection of masterpieces in paintings, sculptures by renowned artists. It has all the works of ancient and contemporary works hailing from different countries. The Louvre Museum is organized in sections featuring collections by school, techniques, and materials as this upholds the unique characteristics of a series. The extraordinary exhibition design of the museum features the connection between civilizations and cultures. The chronological and theme-based display shows different civilizations and periods.
Louvre Museum had its origin back in the year 2007, when both the United Arab Emirates as well as France, decided to build a cultural institution. It is the sign of the spirited nature of the traditional Arab world. Along with the support of both the countries, the famous Louvre Abu Dhabi museum is a perfect blend of United Arab Emirates culture and openness, the perfection as well as the expertise of France.
One of the unique features is the huge silvery dome of the museum popularly known as "Floating dome of light and shade". It filters the sunlight through its perforations to create a beautiful "rain of light" effect inside the museum. The most interesting fact about the museum is that it is accessible by both lands as well as the sea and has about fifty stand-alone buildings, divided into a single auditorium and the rest being luxe restaurants.
Must Read: Abu Dhabi Tour Packages
How to Reach Louvre Museum
You can reach Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi from the Abu Dhabi airport in many ways and, some of them are listed below:
Town Car- You can take Towncar to travel to the museum from the Abu Dhabi Airport and it takes about thirty minutes to reach. You can take the Al Falah Road/E12. Alternatively, you can take both the Al Khaleej Al Arabi Street/E10 which will take 34 minutes approximately to reach the museum.
Cab Service- If you opt for the cab service, then it will take about thirty minutes to reach the museum from the airport and will be travelling on the same route.
Public Transport- Availing the bus line 094 and 032 will take you to the museum in about one and a half-hour.
Personal Car- You can also travel in your car from the airport to the museum. It will take about thirty minutes to reach.
Suggested Read: 10 Best Things to Do in & near Abu Dhabi Airport
Best Time to Visit Louvre Museum
You can visit the Louvre Museum anytime you want throughout the day as per your convenience. The museum opens every day from 10 am till 8 pm from Saturdays till Wednesdays and 10 am to 10 pm on Thursdays and Fridays. It is important to note that the museum remains closed on Mondays. You should visit the museum as soon as it opens to avoid the long queues.
Also Read: Best Time and Season to Visit Abu Dhabi
What Not to Miss at Louvre Museum
Here are some of the best things to do in Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi:
- Explore the magnificent galleries of the museum that narrates the different stories of humanity through the different chapters that throw light on the different themes which unfolds the connections through humanity
- Delve into the exclusive prehistoric artefacts to the traditional artworks which depict some of the engaging facts and information of the historic pasts
- Be a part of the extraordinary exhibitions which highlights various influences and unique ideas that cover different civilizations and cultures
- Visit the exclusive museum boutique and know about the wide range of handpicked books that matches the extraordinary character of the museum
- Purchase an exquisite piece of souvenirs, gifts or books to gain detailed knowledge on the museum
- Visit the popular and chic Museum Café which offers delicious food and beverage outlet that offers a blended taste of Emirati and European flavors
- Enjoy an aromatic coffee along with some sumptuous and delicious pastries and desserts from Aptitude Café, a speciality coffee shop inside the museum premises.
Recommended Read: 50 Best Activities to do in Abu Dhabi
Activities at the Louvre Museum
- Adult Activities: The museum provides insightful and unique activities for adults so that you can indulge yourself into the knowledge of every single art pieces of the museum. Also, you can enjoy various tours provided by the museum such as:
The Essential Tour (Everyday at 11 am and 2 pm in English)- Get to explore all the absolute masterpieces of the Louvre Abu Dhabi museum with the help of your guide.
Architecture Tour (4 pm every Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday)- Learn and discover the intricate architecture and the natural elements which became the inspiration of Jean Nouvel's interpretation of the dome as well as the overall structure of the Louvre Abu Dhabi museum.
- Family and Kids: The museum is a powerhouse of knowledge and the tours provided are filled with plenty of information. Both kids, as well as families, can immerse themselves into the intricate art of the museum, philosophy and gain knowledge on its workings.
Suggested Read: 10 Best Adventure Tours in Abu Dhabi
Places to visit near Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi
- If you love the taste of art and culture then visit Manarat Al Saadiyat which is a place for all the art lovers as you can get to explore a variety of artistic expressions. Also, it is a perfect place to hang out, chill, relax and enjoy toothsome dishes and watch movies.
- Get inspired by the educational tours of Arabian and Emirati excellence by visiting the Qasr Al Watan. Know about the various principles that have spurred the classical Arabian design to exceptional status. Immerse yourself deep inside and gather information on the Emirati governance as well as culture.
- Enjoy the breathtaking view of the blue water stretch and soak yourself in the sun at one of the best beaches in Abu Dhabi Saadiyat Public Beach and spend some good time over there.
- Get the authentic taste of the dates popular in the city by visiting the Abu Dhabi Dates Market. Here you will get hundreds of fruit stores selling delicious dates which is an iconic food item of the city as it is one of the best markets in Abu Dhabi.
- Huge sculpted towers that set a standard for all the luxury hotels in the city, Etihad towers top the list for providing extraordinary as well as esteemed residential service while enjoying the stunning cityscape and, spectacular sunset over the Arabian Gulf.
Suggested Read: 20 Best Places to Visit in Abu Dhabi at Night
Other Essential Information About Louvre Museum
Location: Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi
Timings: The timing for visiting the Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi is from 10 am to 8 pm from Saturdays to Wednesdays, and from 10 am to 10 pm on Thursdays and Fridays. The museum remains closed on Mondays.
Price: The regular tickets mostly cost around Dh60 and for the visitors between the age of 13 to 22 have to pay Dh30 for the tickets. Online as well as offline tickets have a similar price and, free entry is only available for the members of the museum, children below the age of thirteen, journalists and others. Also, the entry is free for all the members of the International Council of Museum, International Council on Monuments and Sites, and the disabled persons accompanied by one person.
Also Read: 50 Best Places to Visit in Abu Dhabi
Cafes at Louvre Museum
- Museum Cafe
During the visit to the Louvre Abu Dhabi Museum, you can check the Museum Café which is a modern and elegant food and beverage outlet. Here you will get some amazing combination of Emirati dishes with a touch of European flavours blended into a perfect dining experience.
Observe the spectacular view when the skyline meets the sea from this café while you enjoy the delicious starters, main courses as well as desserts. Cherish the pleasant mornings with a huge range of toothsome breakfast options. Take a break from the exploration and enjoy the selected chef special beverage items.
Enjoy the special dishes like quinoa salad, camel burger, local Hammour or Sea Bass and savour the local dishes blended with an international taste. The café opens on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 10 am to 8 pm and on Thursdays and Fridays, the café remains open from 10 am to 10 pm and remains closed on Monday.
- Aptitude Cafe
Established in the year 2017 as one of the first speciality coffee shop outlets in Abu Dhabi. The Aptitude Café is popular for two main goals, to provide a perfect choice of café for all the coffee connoisseurs. It also provides knowledge about the special coffee beans and coffee-making process, from picking to its grounding that helps in achieving the aromatic smell.
The café only brews the finest quality coffee beans hailing from the countries Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Ethiopia. Apart from coffee, you will also get a wide range of delicious pastries and desserts.
The popular Museum Boutique has designer products and a wide selection of books from different parts of the world which matches the cultural spirit and the character of the museum.
You can find a specialist boutique offering an exclusive collection of unique inscriptions as well as castings similar to the originals. Every single item available in the boutique has a connection with the collections of the museum.
After enjoying the thrilling experience of attractive and stunning masterpieces inside the museum, get to have an opportunity to explore the museum boutique where you can find an exquisite collection of attractive souvenirs, attractive gifts as well as books that can enhance your knowledge about the place and the museum. A section of the boutique is solely dedicated to the different architects including Jean Nouvel as well as the Abu Dhabi city, urbanism and cultural heritage of the United Arab Emirates. The Museum Boutique is one of the biggest bookshops of art and architecture in the United Arab Emirates.
Know More: 20 Best Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Exhibitions at the Louvre Museum
Every year the museum organizes and hosts a couple of temporary exhibitions. These exhibitions display many artworks, sculptures, paintings of the prominent artists. The exhibition is mainly organized by thirteen French museum partners only for the visitors who visit the Louvre Abu Dhabi.
All the temporary exhibitions are organized in the pattern of the thematic approach like the permanent collections in the Museum Galleries which highlight, compare and influence the ideas of different civilizations as well as cultures.
The various artworks include self-portraits by Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Gauguin, Leonardo Da Vinci, and others.
Vincent Van Gogh- A popular Dutch post-impressionist painter, one of the most influential painters in Western art history. He created about 2100 artworks over a decade which includes landscapes, portraits, still lifes as well as self-portraits.
Paul Gauguin- Famous French post-impressionist artist, he was one of the most popular artists for experimenting with colours. His work influenced the French avant-garde and various other renowned artists like Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso.
Leonardo Da Vinci- Widely popular as one of the greatest painters of all times in spite of the fact that only fifteen paintings of him have survived. One of the most famous portraits of Leonardo Da Vinci at all times is Mona Lisa.
You May Also Like: Best Camping Tours in Abu Dhabi
Tips for Visiting Louvre Museum Abu Dhabi
Few tips which are important to remember while planning to visit the Louvre Museum are:
Reach early: Louvre Museum opens daily at 10 am and remains open till 8 pm apart from Mondays. It is best if you arrive early at the museum as with time, the crowd grows which result in long queues which takes a lot of time to enter the museum.
Make bookings: The facility of online booking is a great advantage as the tickets are not cheap and also you can save a lot of money if you want to visit the museum during the peak season.
Get an audio guide: Knowing every art form available in the museum is impossible. So, if you want you can download the Louvre Abu Dhabi guide in your smartphone for free which will give you both audio and video information on the history, sculptures, and paintings inside the museum.
Decide activities for the rest of the day: It just takes four full hours to explore the Louvre Museum which means you can plan different activities which you can enjoy near the museum or by exploring the Dubai city.
Recommended Read: 20 Best Resorts in Abu Dhabi