About YAS ISLANDYas Island is located in the largest emirate in UAE, Abu Dhabi, and is home to some of the largest and most happening shopping, entertainment and leisure centres in the world. In terms of land area, Yas Island is spread out across 2500 hectares and is a destination that attracts tourists and business people from across the globe, alike.
This hugely popular destination caters to people of different interests and hobbies. From motorsports to water sports, from theme parks to concert venues, Yas Island welcomes all. Some of the most exciting sights to see here are the Yas Marina, Ferrari World, Warner Bros. World, Yas Beach, du Arena, Yas Waterworld, to name a few. Yas Waterworld was named the ‘Second Best Water Park in the World’ by the Los Angeles Times in 2013, and ‘Middle East’s leading Tourist Attractions’ in 2013, as well.
Apart from fun and entertainment, Yas Island is also popular for its five-star luxury hotels some of which include Crown Plaza, Radisson Blu, Rotana, among others. The Yas Hotel in Abu Dhabi is the world’s first hotel to be built over a Formula One race circuit.
Another leisure activity that Yas Island offers is its multitude of shopping options. Yas Mall is the largest luxury mall in Abu Dhabi, with over 400 brands under its roof. It also houses some of the top-rated fine dining restaurants and a 24 screen cinema hall.
Yas Island has many accolades to its name, the most prominent one being named the world’s leading tourism project at the World Travel Awards, in 2009, and has only seen further heights since. The Abu Dhabi airport is located about ten minutes away from Yas Island, making it an ideal destination to conduct business meetings and/or exploring a little before getting on the connecting flight.
How to Reach YAS ISLAND
As mentioned earlier on, the Abu Dhabi airport is located quite close to Yas Island. You could walk it or hire a cab if you have too much luggage. If you’re planning on getting to the island from the Dubai airport, it takes well over an hour. A bus would cost you about 40 AED to 70 AED. You could also give the metro a shot.
Must Read: Best Things to Do in Abu Dhabi Airport
Best Time to Visit YAS ISLAND
Since Abu Dhabi is in the middle of a desert, the climate can be rather harsh if you pick the wrong months to visit. The ideal time to visit Yas Island would be around the months nearing winter i.e. September to November, or during the winter i.e. December to March.
Also Read: Best Time & Weather to Visit Abu Dhabi
What Not to Miss at YAS ISLAND
As mentioned earlier, Yas Island welcomes all and has something to offer to everyone. Let’s look at some popular tourist spots that make visiting this island, a worthwhile affair:
- Ferrari World: Ferrari World is the world’s first Ferrari-branded theme park and opened its doors to the public in November 2010. This exciting park has a total of five roller coasters among which is the Formula Rossa, the fastest roller coaster in the world. Apart from this adrenaline-pumping ride, Ferrari World also has a number of other attractions such as the Flight Simulator, F1 and GT Virtual Simulation, 4-D rides and a tour of the Ferrari Factory, and many more.
Book Now: Full Day Ferrari World Tour Flat 10% Off
- Yas Waterworld: Considered the second best water park in the world, the Yas Waterworld is an emirate-themed water park that draws inspiration from a Middle-Eastern story and everything from the rides to the shops carry the theme of the story. This water park has over 40 rides and slides. The most popular among these are the Bandit Rider, Bubble Barrel, Liwa Loop among others. An interesting and must-see feature of Yas Waterworld is Cinesplash, a one-of-a-kind underwater cinema experience.
Book Now: Trip To Yas Island Water Park Flat 20% Off
- Mad Club: Mad Club on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi is a must-visit for those who love to party. This nightclub is UAE’s largest nightclub and brings in some of the biggest names in the music industry. What makes this nightclub worth spending an evening at is its LED screens, 360-degree projection mapping, crazy lighting and a spectacular sound system. Apart from this, you can keep an eye out for when your favourite artists might be taking on this massive stage
- Yas Marina Circuit: The Yas Marina Circuit is one of the biggest attractions for those into motorsports, especially Formula One. This highly state-of-the-art racing circuit was used to host the Grand Prix’s final race in 2009. This race saw at least sixty thousand spectators enjoying the Yas Marina Circuit in action for the first time. This sporting venue stretches over an area of 161.90 hectares.
The circuit has twenty-one corners that pass through the island itself, the Yas Hotel, and other sharp stretches and turns. The Marina houses theme parks, waterworks and residential buildings as well. Apart from Formula One, the Yas Marina Circuit also hosted the opening event for the Yas V8 400. It would take one about 30 minutes to reach from Abu Dhabi.
Suggested Read: 50 Best Things to Do in Abu Dhabi
Places to Visit in and near YAS Island
Yas Island is spectacular but the places around it are just as worthy of exploring. If you’re planning to visit soon, check out our list of places to visit near and Yas Island:
- Warner Bros. World: Warner Bros. World is located in Abu Dhabi near Yas Waterworld and Yas Ferrari World. It is a fun-filled destination comprising many-a-Warner Bros. franchise such as DC Comics, Hanna-Barbera, Looney Tunes, etc. It is a recently completed park that opened its gates to the public only last year (in 2018). The park has about 29 exhilarating rides based on many of your beloved characters and cartoons. They even have wacky names such as the Acme Factory, Fast and the Furry-ous, Marvin the Martian Crater Crashers, Scooby-Doo: The Museum of Mysteries, to name a few. Warner Bros. World also has a number of exciting themed restaurants, shops and events on offer.
Book Now: Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi Flat 10% Off
- Emirates Park Zoo and Resort: The Emirates Park Zoo and Resort is located near Yas Island, Abu Dhabi at a distance of 35 Km in Al Bahia. This incredible Zoo and Resort ensure homes to 1400 animals (wild/tame), birds, reptiles, primates, the list goes on. If you’re travelling with children, be sure to check out this haven for animal conservation and protection. Some exciting features that might interest the little ones are the Bird Park, the Petting Zoo, and the Reptile House. If you’re lucky you might even stumble across some endangered species such as the Cheetah. The park is open from Sunday to Wednesday between 9 am to 8 pm and Thursday to Saturday from 9 am to 9 pm.
Book Now: Emirates Park Zoo And Resort In Abu Dhabi Flat 40% Off
- du Arena: The du Arena is a live events venue located on Yas Bay. It is the largest open-air venue in the Middle East and can hold up to 35000 people. For those who enjoy going to concerts, rock shows and events, attending a show at the du Arena is a must. So far, this arena has seen mega artists such as Madonna, Rolling Stones, Shakira, Andrea Bocelli, David Guetta, Dj Tiesto, and many such big names take on this gigantic stage.
SeaWorld: SeaWorld in Abu Dhabi is an upcoming attraction on Yas Island. This sanctuary and rehabilitation for underwater creatures will be maritime-themed and will be the first SeaWorld o to open outside of the US. This is scheduled to be open to the public in 2022.
Other Essential Information About YAS ISLAND
Location: Yas Island is located 10 minutes away from the Abu Dhabi airport, and about 1 hour, 15 minutes from the Dubai airport.
Timings: There are different timings to visit different places within Yas Island. However, most places open at about 10 am and close between 6 pm and 10 pm.
Also Know: 50 Amazing Places to Visit in Abu Dhabi
Tips for Visiting Yas Island, Abu Dhabi
While travelling around Yas Island is rather easy and connected, here are some additional tips that might aid you in your travels:
- Find local taxis to get around. Ask the locals for a clear bus schedule if you’re on a budget.
- Be Swedish for a day. Pay a visit to the only IKEA in Abu Dhabi.
- Perhaps we’ve already made it clear, but we can’t stress on the time of visit strongly enough.
- Do a little research on the culture and traditions of Abu Dhabi (or the Middle East, in general) before you get on that flight.
Popular Read: Desert Safari in Abu Dhabi