If you want to sail away in the middle of the ocean under the clear blue skies, travelling via a cruise from Chennai is an excellent option. The cruises which ply from Chennai Port are Jalesh Cruise, CroisiEurope and government run passenger ships. The three major routes are Chennai-Andaman Islands; Chennai- Trincomalee - Colombo - Kochi - Goa – Bombay; Chennai-High seas-Trincomalee- Chennai.
The cost of sailing in a cruise ship from Chennai Port ranges between Rs 3000-Rs 30000. There are different categories of accommodation available for the travellers. The expense varies with the variation of classes. Private cruise lines like Jalesh Cruise and CroisiEurope serve lip-smacking delicacies at their dining rooms.
Additionally, they also offer numerous entertainment facilities for the merriment of the travellers. Especially Jalesh Cruise has a series of them including live music, exotic dance performances, DJ Night, movie sessions, and spa treatments. There is also a designated area for kids and teenagers where your little ones can indulge in a lot of amusements. So, board a cruise for your next vacation and experience luxury at its best.
People Also Ask About Cruises in Chennai
Which are the best routes for cruises that depart from Chennai?
1. Chennai- Trincomalee - Colombo - Kochi - Goa – Bombay: On this route, your crusade will flag off from Chennai Port and end at Mumbai Harbour. In between, the ship will take you through destinations including Trincomalee, Colombo, Kochi and Goa.
Now, you can cruise between two nations across six distinct destinations. Amazing, isn't it? All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) + handcrafted drinks are included on these cruises. Other than this, there will be proposed onboard activities for the purpose of the entertainment of the travellers.
The major highlights of the cruises running on this route are excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites; Kerala Backwaters; panoramic tour of the city of Colombo;visit to Mani Bhavan, the museum dedicated to the life of Gandhi in Mumbai. The entire voyage lasts for 11 days and 10 Nights. The seven-deck “La Belle Des Océans” which ply from Chennai- Trincomalee - Colombo - Kochi - Goa – Bombay is run by CroisiEurope.
2. Chennai-High Seas- Trincomalee- Chennai: On this route, your expedition will commence from Chennai Port. The cruise will sail in the high seas to reach Trincomalee and will head back to Chennai Port after 3 Nights. Experience the taste of international cruising standards and indulge in a mind-boggling journey to Trincomalee.
The cost of sailing from Chennai Port to Trincomalee and back to Chennai ranges between $119- $299 (Rs 9000- Rs 22000). The cost keeps escalating with the up-gradation of classes. Beginning with Indian Thalis to Asian cuisines; travellers can gorge onto lip-smacking delicacies.
Other than this, there are multiple other eateries on the deck to savour your taste buds. Onboard experiences consist of live music, exotic dance performances, DJ Night, movies, and spa sessions. One can try their luck at the in-house Casino. There is also a designated area for kids and teenagers where your little ones can indulge in a lot of amusements. The entire sojourn lasts for 4 Days and 3 Nights. The ships which ply from Chennai-High Seas-Trincomalee- Chennai are run by Jalesh Cruises.
Which are the departure ports from Chennai?
On the Coromandel Coast off the Bay of Bengal, Chennai only has one departure port i.e. Chennai Port. Initially known as the Madras Port, it is one of the oldest ports in India which began its operations in 1881. Over the years, Chennai Port has grown into a major hub for containers, cars and project logistics.
Other than this, Chennai Port also departs cruise ships to tropical destinations like Andaman and Sri Lanka. Only government run cruises ply from Chennai Port to Andaman Islands. On the other hand, luxurious cruise lines like Jalesh Cruise ply between Chennai Port and Sri Lanka.
What is the best time for cruising from Chennai?
The best time to take a cruise from Chennai is between November and April. Around this time, the ocean is not prone to terrific cyclones and storms. Due to absence of rain-bearing clouds, the sky blooms in blue and enables a smooth cruising experience.
Since the weather remains temperate, onboarders can also go up to the deck to soak in the sunshine and overall serenity. Although cruises from Chennai Port ply between May –October, these are monsoon months and sea id harsh. If you are planning to indulge in a cruise around this time, get ready for a bumpy ride.
How much does a cruise ship cost from Chennai?
The cost of a cruise ship in Chennai varies with place. In the case of Chennai to Andaman, it ranges between Rs 3000- Rs 12000.
In case of Chennai- High Seas- Trincomalee- Chennai, it starts from Rs 9000 and can go as high as Rs 22000. The price varies with up-gradation of classes. The lowest class is on the Bunk Seats and the highest class is the Cabins.
What are the important guidelines to know about cruises from Chennai?
- Carry 2 passport size photographs, your address proof, government identity proof and a full advance payment along with the requisition form for booking tickets.
- Travellers should take medication against motion sickness because it is a common phenomenon which happens to most of the passengers.
- Irrespective of the time of the year, travellers should take influenza vaccination and other immunizations.
- Make sure to arrive at the terminal 4 hours before departure.
- Outside food & alcohol are not allowed inside the cruises.
- Economy passengers can carry a maximum of 100 kg of luggage. Passengers belonging to other classes can carry a maximum of 200 kg of luggage.
What are the different types of accommodation available on board?
Cruise ships from Chennai have different categories of accommodation available onboard.
1. Chennai to Andaman:
- There are four categories including Deluxe Cabin, 1st Class Cabin, 2nd Class Cabin, and Bunk Class. All of them are on a sharing basis.
- Deluxe Cabins are on 2 sharing basis and offer two beds, TV, fridge, table, chairs, storage space and an attached bathroom.
- 1st Class Cabins are on 4 sharing basis and offer four beds, table, attached bathroom and lockers.
- 2nd Class Cabins are on 6 sharing basis with shared toilets and showers in the corridor.
- Bunk Class is like a dormitory which is below sea level in one big arena and is segregated by occasional walls. Bunk Classes have common toilets and showers.
2. Chennai to Srilanka:
- Similarly, cruises from Chennai to Srilanka include 4 categories including Ocean View, I Interior Cabins, Balcony Cabins and Minisuite.
- Ocean View Cabins can accommodate a total of 4 people and offers queen-sized bed, TV, AC, fridge, private shower, toiletries and cabin service.
- Interior Cabins can accommodate a total of 4 people and offers queen-sized bed, TV, AC, fridge, private shower, vanity unit, toiletries and cabin service.
- Balcony Cabin can accommodate a total of 2 people and offers all the contemporary facilities along with a balcony.
- Minisuite can accommodate a total of 3 people and offers all the modern amenities. Additionally, it also provides an independent living area and a balcony.
What can you not do on a Chennai cruise?
- Don’t sit on the sundeck for long hours. Non-stop exposure to the sun and the moisture from the sea water can cause real damage to your skin.
- Don’t consume excessive alcohol onboard. It will result in deterioration of your health because alcohol can speed up dehydration and generally lowers your body's resistance to motion sickness.
- Don’t purchase unsealed water bottles on the cruise. It might have been stored in unsanitary conditions and is often unsafe for drinking.
Is food included on cruises?
Yes, food is included in cruise packages from Chennai. You will be served with lip smacking breakfast , lunch and dinner.
Beginning with Indian Thalis to Asian cuisines, travellers can gorge onto lip-smacking delicacies at the main dining rooms. Other than this, there are multiple other outlets on the deck to savour your taste buds.
What is the policy for infants and pregnant women?
Infants must be of six months or more for indulging in a cruise from Chennai. If parents fail to conform to this policy, denial of boarding will take place.
On the other hand, pregnant women need to show a physician’s recommendation stating that both the mother and baby are fit to travel on a cruise. Additionally, it should also be mentioned in the recommendation that the pregnancy is not prone to high-risk.
How long does it take from Chennai to Andaman by ship?
It usually takes 3-4 days i.e 72- 96 hours to reach Andaman from Chennai by ship. In addition, if there are delays or halts in between, the entire journey might take 1 more day.
If you plan to book cruise packages from Chennai to reach Andaman, plan your itinerary for the trip accordingly!