About Chembarambakkam Lake
Brimming with serenity and calmness, Chembarambakkam Lake is also known as Puliyur Kottam. Its blue freshwater creates a perfect contrast with the distinct species of vegetation. The watchtower standing amidst the lake uplifts the beauty as well as the footfall to the place. People like to come here to cherish the surroundings and spend some time near the lake.
They like to spread a mat and enjoy their home-cooked foods and snacks while drowning in the depth of the beauty that surrounds them. Several binoculars could also be seen peeking into the dense trees in search of rare migratory birds. Also, an ancient Shiva Temple and Kanni Koil are placed near the lake which could be visited by the tourists on their trip to the Chembarambakkam Lake.
Apart from aesthetic beauty, the lake also serves a big purpose. With a storage capacity of 3645 million cubic feet, the lake is responsible for providing fresh drinking water to the citizens of Chennai. One of the four reservoirs of the city, the lake is also India’s second-largest Water Treatment Plant. Further, it also gives birth to the Adyar River which is another gift of the lake to the people relying on it.
How to Reach Chembarambakkam Lake
- By Air: The nearest airport to Chembarambakkam Lake is the Chennai International Airport. It is situated at a distance of 23.7 KM which would take around one hour to cover. You can hail an auto, hire a taxi or book an online cab to reach there as fast as possible. Although keep in mind that buses would be cheaper than all these stated options.
- By Bus: L and T Bus Stop and Chembarambakkam Bus Stop are the two nearest bus stops to the lake. You can board one of the buses from 554 line and descend at one of these bus stops. It would be a 15 min walk from there to reach the lake.
- By Road: The lake is connected via various state highways to different parts of the city. You can simply use online directions to drive to the place or you can hire a taxi or book online and relax in the passenger seat while the driver takes you to your destination.
Best Time to Visit Chembarambakkam Lake
Best time to visit Chembarambakkam Lake is the winter months of October to March. This is the time when the temperatures of the area are soothing and pleasant along with the least amount of humidity. However, the summers bring scorching heat and humidity with it and make the experience of travelling very difficult.
You would not be able to enjoy the surroundings with lots of sweat and heat. Monsoon brings immense rain and cyclones to the city hence, you will not be able to enjoy the outdoors under strong downpour. Plus the watersports are also closed during this time period.
What Not to Miss at Chembarambakkam Lake
Places to Visit around Chembarambakkam Lake
There are numerous places to visit near Chembarambakkam Lake and here is a list of some of the best of them from distinct variety:
1. Shore Temple: Overlooking the shores of the Bay of Bengal, the temple is named as the Shore Temple. Dating back to the 8th century, the temple was constructed under the reign of Narasimhavarman II of the Pallava dynasty. One can appreciate the architecture of the era which transformed the blocks of granite into the magnificent structure as it stands today.
2. Arignar Anna Zoological Park: Established in the year of 1855, Arignar Anna Zoological Park is the first-ever public zoo in India. It is also known as the Vandalur Zoo as it is located in the southwestern part of Chennai named Vandalur. One should definitely visit the place if seeking for some entertainment for themselves as well as kids.
3. DakshinaChitra: Founded and managed by the Madras Craft Foundation, DakshinaChitra is a living-history museum. Located in the city of Chennai, the museum has been dedicated to the heritage and culture of South India. One should definitely visit this museum to rejoice the grandeur of the Southern part of India.
4. Mahabalipuram Beach: With dusky brown stretch of the sands edging the playful waves of the Bay of Bengal, Mahabalipuram Beach is a serene and calm beach. One can relish the panoramic views of the Shore Temple as well as relish swimming and surfing along with various other water sports.
Other Essential Information About Chembarambakkam Lake
- Location: Kanchipuram district, 40 Kms away from Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Timings: 06:00 am to 06:00 pm
Places to Eat around Chembarambakkam Lake
There are a lot of out of the box restaurants near Chembarambakkam Lake where you can feed the hunger of your tastebuds:
1. Punjabi Dhaba: Themed to a typical Punjabi village, Punjabi Dhaba is a unique place amidst the south of the country. One can relish upon mouth-watering veg and non-veg Punjabi delicacies on the traditional cots set under the thatched restaurant.
2. Kundrathur Shree Balaji Bhawan: The cosy setting of Balaji Bhawan is perfect for those who want delicious food under their budget. It is famous for its vegetarian dishes from North and South of India.
3. Malayoram Family Restaurant: Malayoram serves the local taste of South India and one can enjoy a traditional South Indian meal at the place.
4. Chokhi Dhani: Pride of Rajasthan, Chokhi Dhani could also be found in the southern states of India. ‘Chokhi’ means amazing whereas ‘Dhani’ means village, and the place comes out clean to its name and serves lip-smacking Rajasthani food.
5. Ze Flavors: Amidst a lot of traditional places to eat, Ze Flavors bring exquisite settings for you to enjoy fine dining where you can relish upon choicest cuisines from Indian and International cultures.
6. Meat And Eat: South India is renowned for its non-vegetarian delicacies and Meat And Eat brings that very flavour in your plates. This is the place where you can hog on to the excellent dishes crafted out of various meats.
Travellers’ Tip before visiting Chembarambakkam Lake
The visit to the beautiful lake should have a well-framed plan in order to have a memorable experience. So, these are the tips which might come handy while you are on your excursion:
1. Pack your lunch and a water bottle along with a mat as the lakeside is a very good place to have a picnic.
2. Make sure to plan for surfboard paddling in the lake as that is one of the most popular sports being offered there.
3. Bring your binoculars to watch distinct migratory birds as bird watching is pretty famous around the lake.
4. The scenic location of the lake demands a photography session so do not forget to bring your camera.
5. Carry a garbage bag with you so that you can bring your litter back and dispose it properly in a designated dustbin.
6. Try to either come early in the morning or late in the evening in order to enjoy a soothing time.