About Besant Nagar Beach
You can witness the amazing sunrise and sunset at the beach, with the sky being painted by the golden rays of the sun. The beach is named Edward Elliot's Beach after the famous chief magistrate and superintendent police of Chennai, Edward Elliott.
But it is popularly known as Besant Nagar Beach since it is located in the city of Besant Nagar. The city of Besant Nagar was originally named after the famous social activist Annie Besant, who had an immense contribution to the development of India during the British rule. It is said that once a Danish sailor, Karl Schmidt, sacrificed his life while saving a man from drowning in the sea. A monument has been constructed in his honour at the beach and named as “Elliots”.
How to Reach Besant Nagar Beach
Credits: B Balaji
Best Time to Visit Besant Nagar Beach
Credits: Chandrashekhar Basumatary
What Not to Miss at Besant Nagar Beach
Places to Visit Around Besant Nagar Beach
Chennai is brimming with places which are worth visiting and a lot of them are in the proximity of Besant Nagar Beach:
Other Essential Information About Besant Nagar Beach
Credits: Simply CVR
Location: The beach is located in the city of Besant Nagar, and is the second most prominent beach in Chennai.
Places to Eat at Besant Nagar Beach
Besant Nagar beach is famous for seafood and street foods. Fried fish, Mirchi bajji and corn on cub are some of the delicacies available at the beach. There are several restaurants near the beach with a variety of food options.
Nightlife at Besant Nagar Beach
Several restaurants and pubs are present near the Besant Nagar Beach to spend a jubilant nightlife. If you are crazy for parties, then the best place to visit is the B Bar which is open every day of the week from 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM. It is located at a distance of 2.4 km from the beach.
Bay 146 and Unlock Bar are two popular eateries and pubs near the beach at a distance of 1.2 km. They are open till midnight and offer food and drinks from multiple cuisines. If you have an ardent interest to enjoy a rooftop experience then you can travel a little distance of 4.1 km from the beach to a pub called Above Sea Level. The place offers a romantic atmosphere at the backdrop of the panoramic landscape of the city.
Shopping at Besant Nagar Beach
For shopaholics, there are ample opportunities present near the Besant Nagar Beach to fulfill their shopping desire. Modern Plaza and Vantage Plaza are two shopping malls near the beach where you can fill up your shopping bags with branded and local products.
To churn out your desire for some good and fashionable shoes, you must visit the Metro Shoe Mart located at a distance of 2.4 km from the beach. Some more shopping centers are present at nearby places like the Nilgiri Shopping centre, Vivek Plaza, Singapore Shopping Center, Deju Plaza, Precision Plaza and many more.
Things to Carry at Besant Nagar Beach
The following things must be carried while visiting the Besant Nagar Beach:
2. Swimming attires are a must if you want to enjoy a dip in the sea waters
3. Carry sunglasses and hats to protect your eyes and head from the UV rays
4. You must not forget to carry your camera and its accessories to capture some of the memorable moments at the beach
5. Since you will be spending a whole day at the beach hence it is advisable to carry a beach bag and towels
6. Keep a first aid kit in your beach bag in case of any accidental injuries or emergencies.
Medical Facilities Near Besant Nagar Beach
There are certain clinics and medical centers near the Besant Nagar beach for emergencies and medical treatments. The nearby clinics which provide decent medical services are Varma clinic Dr. Rajamony, Dr. Baranees Sukra Diabetes Care and Research center, Ajna Medical center, Synapse Pain and Spine Clinic.
For people opting for Ayurvedic medicines and treatment, there is an Ayush Ayurvedic Center near the beach. In case of any dental treatment, the best one is Hari’s Dental Care and Implant Center. For hair and skin related treatments, you can visit the Swaroop Skin and Hair Care Center. However, it is recommended to carry medicines and a first-aid kit while visiting the beach for any small medications and injuries.
Travelers' Tip for Visiting Besant Nagar Beach
Few essential tips for travelers visiting the Besant Nagar Beach:
1. Wear light comfortable cotton and linen clothes while relaxing at the beach
2. It is better to wear slippers and flip flops for a comfortable walk around the beach.
3. The beach is especially beautiful during the sunrise and the sunset. You must not miss the opportunity to witness the glittering reflection of the sun rays on the sea waters.
4. There are restrooms, waste bins, drinking water facilities and eateries inside the beach premises
5. The beach offers options for cycling around the area. If you are a cyclist then you must certainly enjoy cycling amongst the cool and blissful environment.
6. It is better to enter the beach in the morning or early afternoon as after 5 PM the parking space is full.