About Arignar Anna Zoological Park
Known popularly as a beautiful and alluring spot for picnickers in Vandalur, Arignar Anna Zoological Park happens to be one of the best places for exploring fauna and flora of this region. Calling on to adults and children for weekend getaways, Arignar Zoo gets a heavy influx of visitors each year. Located at an approximate distance of around 32 km from Chennai and spread across an average area of about 1260 acres, it is known as South East Asia’s largest zoo.
Sheltering more than 138 species of creatures, Arignar Anna Zoological Park is a paradise for every nature and animal lover. This park houses umpteen varieties of animals, including mammals, amphibians, reptiles, birds, fishes, and butterflies. In addition, the place also has a small Jurassic Park that adds to overall excitement offered by the destination. Other special aspects of this park include a children’s park, a learning centre, and Elephant joy rides.
Arignar Anna Zoological Park is frequently visited by photo fanatics, wildlife lovers, nature lovers, peace seekers, and experience seekers. The park provides its visitors the opportunities to go on safaris and watch the various animals closely. The park also houses a small library where children as well as adults can get to read and learn more regarding the habitat and living styles of the different animals living in this place. In addition to all these exciting experiences, visitors can also indulge in nature and wildlife photography during their visit to Arignar Anna Zoological Park.
How to Reach Arignar Anna Zoological Park
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Arignar Anna Zoological Park is Chennai International Airport, which is located at a distance of 16.1 kilometers from the destination. Once tourists reach the airport, they can take a local taxi to arrive at the park.
2. By Bus: Regular bus services are available from various parts of Chennai to Arignar Anna Zoological Park.
3. By Rail: The closest railway station to Arignar Anna Zoological Park is located in Vandalur. The distance of Vandalur station from the park is approximately 2.8 kilometers. Once you reach the railway station, you can easily take a taxi or an auto to arrive at the destination.
Best Time to Visit Arignar Anna Zoological Park
Although Arignar Anna Zoological Park can be visited at any time of the year, the winter months of November to February are considered as the most ideal time for visiting this place. The park gets its real vibrant colors and acquires the maximum number of visitors during this time.
It is highly suggested for tourists to avoid visiting the zoological park during the monsoons as it rains very heavily in the city at this time, which can make it difficult to experience the real scenic beauty of this destination.
Tourists planning to visit Arignar Anna Zoological Park should consider heading to the place during the morning or evening hours as these are the best periods to journey inside the park peacefully.
What Not to Miss at Arignar Anna Zoological Park
Places to Visit around Arignar Anna Zoological Park
1.Kishkinta Theme Park: Located at a short distance of around 10.3 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Kishkinta Theme Park happens to be a famous amusement hub in Chennai. Boasting a plethora of slides and rides for children as well as adults, this park attracts families, friends, and couples. Kishkinta Theme Park is open for visiting from 10.30 AM to 6.30 PM on weekdays and from 10 AM to 7 PM on weekends.
2. Anjaneyar Temple Nanganallur:Situated at an approximate distance of about 21.6 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Anjaneyar Temple Nanganallur is dedicated to the Hindu God, Lord Hanuman. The primary attraction of this temple is the 32 feet monolithic granite statue of the main deity of the shrine.
Offering devotees peace and serenity, this Hindu temple also worships Lord Krishna and Lord Rama. Anjaneyar Temple Nanganallur can be visited from 5 AM to 12 PM and from 4.30 PM to 9 PM, on all days.
3. St. Thomas Mount Church: Lying at an average distance of around 23 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, St. Thomas Mount Church happens to be a popular shrine in Chennai. Built in the year 1523, this church is a dedication to Mother Mary.
This shrine is located on the St. Thomas hilltop can be reached by covering a total of 160 steps.St. Thomas Mount Church is open for devotees from 6 AM to 8 PM, on all days.
4. Guindy National Park: Situated at a distance of around 26.7 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Guindy National Park happens to be a must-visit tourist destination in Chennai. Spread across an area of about 2.7 square kilometers, this national park is home to sloth bear, spotted deer, hyena, bonnet macaque, Crow Pheasant, Fan-throated Lizard, and Golden-backed Woodpecker.
Guindy National Park is open for visitors from 9 AM to 6 PM, on all days except on Tuesday.
Other Essential Information About Arignar Anna Zoological Park
Location: Grand Southern Trunk Rd, Vandalur, Tamil Nadu 600048
Timings: Arignar Anna Zoological Park is open for visiting from 9 AM to 6 PM, on all days except for Tuesday.Entry fee: The entry fee for visiting Arignar Anna Zoological Park is INR 30 per head for adults and INR 10 per head for children aged between 2 to 12 years. There is no entry fee for children under 2 years of age.
Places to Eat around Arignar Anna Zoological Park
1. Punjabi Nation: Located at a small distance of around 4.9 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Punjabi Nation is a popular food joint specializing in Indian and Asian cuisines. Welcoming tourists and locals for lunch and dinner, this vegetarian-friendly restaurant serves excellent North Indian delicacies. Some special preparations of Punjabi Nation include Pudina Paratha and Lacha Paratha.
2. Sangeetha Vegetarian Restaurant: Situated at an approximate distance of about 0.5 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Sangeetha Vegetarian Restaurant happens to be a budget-friendly food joint. Specializing in Indian dishes, the restaurant serves south Indian delicacies and vegetarian meals. Sangeetha Vegetarian Restaurant is known for its prompt service, clean environment, and tasty snacks and meals.
3. Sree Agarwal Bhojanalaya: Located at a distance of around 6.9 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Sree Agarwal Bhojanalaya is a decent restaurant serving mouth-watering south Indian as well as north Indian dishes. Known for its courteous staff, good food, and nice interior, this food joint invites guests for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
4. Shri Balaajee Bhavan: Situated at a distance of about 5.2 kilometers from Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Shri Balaajee Bhavan happens to be a budget restaurant, welcoming people mainly for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner. Specializing in Asian cuisine, this restaurant is known for its pleasant ambience, polite staff, and widespread menu.
Travelers' Tip before visiting Arignar Anna Zoological Park
1. Although many different safaris are available inside the zoological park, yet visitors prefer taking cycles on rent to visit the various sites of the park as it is fun and cost-effective.
2. The visit around the park’s zoo may take hours. Hence, it is highly recommended to carry sufficient drinking water.
3. Carrying food items inside the park is prohibited and a small in-house canteen is available for refreshment.
4. Carrying alcohol or smoking on the premises of the zoological park is strictly prohibited.
5. Do not indulge in feeding, teasing, or hurting the animals inside the zoo. Carrying out such activities can result in serious circumstances.