Book Tour and Activities on the Go!
It is one of the four main waterfalls of Munnar and is very popular among adventure seekers, as the dirt mountain path through the forest gives chills on every step towards Attukal Waterfalls. Take your swimwear as the pool at the bottom of the fall has enough water to dip and bath.
It is highly recommended that you visit Munnar during Monsoon season if waterfalls top the list of ‘places to visit in Munnar.’ Attukal waterfall is located between Munnar and Pallivasal and can be reached by crossing a wooden bridge. The waterfalls in Munnar witness hordes of tourist every year and Attukal is one of those famous waterfalls which is mystically beautiful.
Location: 2nd Floor, Mermaid Complex, Nadaiyar road, Munnar 685612
Timings: 9 AM to 7:30 PM
Price: One can pay INR 100 per person to a guide who can lead the trek through the narrow mountain path.
Suggested Read: Things to Do in Munnar for a lovely vacation!
Drenched in the mist and greenery, Pothamedu viewpoint is a spot worth trekking to. This viewpoint enables a panoramic vista of the valley and if the day is clear, you can also see Muthirapuzha River and Idukki Arch Dam from quite a height. The view is made of a series of emerald hill slopes where tea, coffee, cardamom, and pepper make a blanket of green all over the hills.
While you are enjoying the mesmerizing view of the valley, take a sip of ginger tea from the only tea shop nearby and you would love spending your evening at Pothamedu. Watching the sun slide down the horizon in the vast expanse of the Sahyadri ranges is one perfect way of spending your vacation in this quaint town. Pothamedu is one of the many places to visit in Munnar which have a refreshing environ.
Location: Pothamedu, Munnar.
Timings: 9 AM to 7:30 PM
Entry fee: None.
If you are lucky enough to make it during the show timings, you will learn a lot that day. From the early history of Tea Plantation to how British brought Tea culture and cultivation in the region, the toil and hard work of the people who endured during those days, the machineries and tools, the entire process of cultivating, plucking, drying and final packaging of Tea; almost everything you learn in just a half an hour documentary that is played here.
You will also get to see the typewriters, magneto phone, the hand tea roller, and manual calculators and iron oven which have been very useful tools during the earlier days. This is one of the best tourist places in Munnar.
Location: Nullatanni, Munnar, Kerala 685612
Timings: It remains closed on Monday and opens from 9 AM till 5 PM on all the remaining days of the week.
Entry fee: The entry fee for adults is INR 75 per head and for children of a particular age group is INR 35.
Check Out: Best Time of the Year to Visit Munnar
Greeting visitors all around the year, Top Station Munnar lies amidst three mountain streams, at the confluence of Mudrapuzha, Kundala, and Nallathanni mountain ranges. Top Station is a part of reckoned Kannan Devan hill station encircled all around by magnificent views. Turn around your eyes and lose yourself in the sophistication of rich green valleys!
Here, there are ample of Neelakurinji flowers blooming once after every 12 years. Tourists from far off places visit here for a picture-perfect shot of these rich and luxurious blue flowers. Once a while, this beautiful place was a well-known trans-shipment tea delivery point connecting Munnar with Bodinayakkanur. You can still find some remains of Top Station’s ropeway station there.
Never miss on to accompany yourself with your DSLR’s to snap down a panoramic view of the mighty Western Ghats. Standing at the top station, you can have a bird’s eye view of the township that lays all along the downfall. All over the path that leads you towards Top Station Munnar, has a beautiful exhibit of blooming flowers. These belong to the rarest varieties and are endearing enough to leave you amazed with both their beauty and fragrance.
Location: Top Station Hwy, Munnar.
Timings: 6 AM to 6 PM
Entry fee: None.
Popular Read: Romantic Honeymoon Resorts In Munnar
Embark on a journey to Top Station and find this beautiful mirror-like lake after around 20 KM of a drive. The breath-taking backdrops of green hill slopes, the majestic sunrises, the unparalleled beauty of cherry blossoms and a blue blanket of the famous Neela Kurunji flowers which bloom only once every twelve year makes this place a dreamy location and is one of the main Munnar tourist places.
This artificial lake has Asia’s first Arch dam and the water engages the tourists in different kinds of boating experience such as rowboats, Kashmirishikara boats, and pedal boats. A vast golf course that belongs to Tata Tea Ltd and a nearby waterfall known as Aruvikkad Waterfall is also situated in proximity to the lake which can be visited in a single trip.
Location: Kundale Lake, Kannan Devan Hills, Kerala 685615
Timings: All day.
This national park is home to the endangered Nilgiris Tahr, which is located in Devikulam Taluk of Idukki district and covers a total area of 97 square kilometers. After the Nilgiri Tahr, Neelakurinji flowers are the second major attraction of this park because this flower blooms once after every 12 years. Anamudi (2695 m), the highest peak of south India also takes abode in Eravikulam National Park.
It is under the care of the Kerala Department of Forest and Wildlife, Munnar and is situated along the crest of Western Ghats. The subtropical moist broadleaf forest and evergreen tropical forest are commonly known as “Shoals” in the region which is layered on the high hill slopes. The tributaries of Periyar and Chalakudy rivers chisel down these slopes in the form of small rivulets and you can also see Lakhom waterfall within the Park.
Location: The Wildlife Warden Munnar PO, Idukki, Kerala, 685612
Timings: 7:30 AM to 4 PM on all the seven days of the week.
Entry fee: An entry fee of INR 65 for Indian citizens and INR 245 for foreign nationals.
Must Check: Popular & Comfortable Homestays in Munnar
Almost 13 km off the Munnar town, Mattupetty Dam is a famous holiday spot for tourists. This beautiful hill station is hemmed in by Anamudi Peak covered with undulating slopes of tea gardens with an emerald lake in the middle of the place where people often indulge in speed boating.
Carefully watch the stillness in water; you would notice the rippling reflection of the lush tea gardens on the sides. The height at which Mattupetty is located is around 1,700 m which makes the Dam to be one of the highest Dams in Munnar.
This is one of the attractions in Munnar that goes on everyone’s to-do list because Mattupetty is dream destination Munnar and the Dam falls en route. Just a few kilometers away from the Dam lies the lake which is settled amid the tea gardens and Shola forest; one of the places to visit in Munnar that goes without saying.
Location: Mattupetty, Munnar, Kerala 685616.
Timings: All day.
Entry fee: INR 10
Ask a Question
Traveller Tales from Munnar
11 July 2019
It Was an Awesome Trip To Munnar , Pros: Traveling On Month Of July (monsoon Season) Make The Place More Special . The Place Where The Camping Held Has Given Stunning Panoramic View Of The West...
06 July 2019
"If you are new to munnar then it is the best package for you to explore munnar... In this package the guide will pick you at 9 and will take you to around 10 sight seeing places in munnar around 72 km
28 December 2018
"Simply Amazing. If you love adventures , this is a must try. There's Jeep safari, off-roading through the tea estates, Fog covering the way when you reach the top, Mesmerizing view, Quechua Tents, Tas...
11 February 2018
For anyone who loves camping, this is the place to be. In the midst of mother nature - at Kerala's highest resort, what else can you ask for. A bunch of dedicated and professional tour guides who ...
16 March 2015
My three days trip to munnar hills is unforgettable....It was my first trekking expedition ever and i completed it with so ease and comfort ... And all thanks goes to our tour guide who were very exper...
11 December 2014
we explored all beautiful places of Munnar like the jungle the hills and the grassand. Everthing was just awesome. I loved to trek amidst the tea gardens and then climbing up hills.
14 September 2014
The spectacular views are quite enogh to steal your heart... Definately Munnar is the favourite hotspot of trekkers and other tourists...While trekking we also reached Mattupetty hills and then discove...
15 August 2013
There is some magic in the hills of Munnar, that caught our attention, trull the place is the best holiday destination for all. When we were entering Munnar we saw endless gardens of coffee and it was ...
01 July 2019
"good experience. this was our first camping experience. special vegetarian food was prepared for us. bonfire and music was great."
More Things to do in Munnar
Top Munnar Attractions
Most Popular Places Around Munnar
Listings in Munnar
What You Should Know More About Munnar
In Munnnar you may find a variety of places to stay ranging from tea plantations to the one amidst clouds to a jungle stay. We have here curated the best places to stay in Munnar that might help you:
1. Forest Camping in Munnar @ Rs 3000 only
2. Luxurious Homestay Amidst Hills, Munnar @ Rs 2100 only
3. Homestay Amidst Nature, Munnar @ Rs 1500 only
4. Camping Amidst Tea Plantations, Munnar @ Rs 1600 only
5. Camping Amidst Clouds, Munnar @ Rs 1480 only
Munnar being surrounded by serene beauty and mountains has an ample variety of treks. Here is a list of the top trekking trails in Munnar that you may like:
1. Monsoon Meesapulimala Trek and Camping @ Flat 20% Off
2. Munnar Adventurous Trekking @ Flat 26% Off
3. Munnar Trekking Experience @ Flat 20% Off
4. Jeep Sightseeing Tour with Trekking @ Flat 28% Off
5. Mathikettan Shola Rainforest Trekking Experience @ Flat 22% Off
Explore the following list of budget-friendly camping spots in Munnar:
1. Jeep Ride and Forest Camping in Munnar @ Flat 39% Off
2. Forest Camping in Munnar @ Flat 35% Off
3. Trek to Chokramundi and Forest Camping in Munnar @ Flat 11% Off
4. Tiger Trail Trekking and Camping, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary @ Flat 7% Off
5. Camping in Suryanelli, Munnar @ Flat 45% Off
1. Go trekking through the beautiful hills of Munnar: Munnar offers its visitors with the perfect kind of setting for various trekking trails all throughout. Be it the Anamudi peak or the Rajamala Hills, the Devikulam or the Eravikulam National Park or seven hills mountain– each place holds a special importance in terms of greenery and cloud-full beauty.
2. Elephant Safari at Carmelagiri Elephant Park in Munnar: Imagine you riding on the back of the elephant while you watch a beautiful sunset. The elephant safari at the Carmelagiri Elephant Park will definitely deliver you with the experience with your life.
3. Lip smacking classes at Nimi: Munnar is an apt place not only for adventure-lovers but also for ardent foodies. Meet Nimi Sunil Kumar – known for her bestseller cookbook called Lip Smacking Dishes for Kerala and get an authentic take on Kerala’s regular cuisine. Take these classes for an apt experimentation of the local food of the location as well.
4. Ayurvedic oneness at the Ayurveda centres of Munnar: The ancient science of Ayurveda is also among the many key characteristics that make up for Munnar’s image. The age-old Indian practise is being carried on in many Ayurveda centres of Munnar. In fact, your visit will be considered incomplete if you don’t take part in one of these Ayurvedic spa sessions at least once while you’re at Munnar. Have a fun, relaxing and soothing experience at Amrutham Ayurvedic village Resort at the end of your day.
Munnar is a beautiful place that promises a wonderful journey to its visitors. However, there are a few tips that you must keep in mind:
1. Safe driving required: Munnar consists of numerous beautiful curvy roads. However, it can get quite tricky if you’re visiting the place for the first time or if you are a learning driver. Sometimes, the roads are covered with fog and will most probably blind your vision. Therefore, you need to be an expert.
2. Drinking laws: There are a few hotels which may provide alcohol especially during many festival holidays. However, you can build a rapport with the local hotel employees and ask them to get it for you. As far as restrictions are concerned, there aren’t too many hard and fast rules regarding the same.
3. Come prepared for the weather: Munnar is a refreshingly cool place to spend your holidays at. That’s for certain. However, temperatures here drop considerably after sunset. It can get quite chilly at nights and it is advisable for you to remain prepared for the same.
There are a variety of things to do in Munnar. Here’s the list:
1. Tea garden strolls in Munnar: One of the most fun-filled and refreshing activity to do in Munnar is to stroll through the beautiful, scenic estates situated in every nook and corner of Munnar. These locations are paradise in form of rich, green foliage. There is no better way of spending a soothing evening than by just taking a simple stroll.
2. Enjoy the waterfall of the Western Ghats: One of the primary attractions in the long-stretching Western Ghat is Munnar indeed. The beautiful landscape filled with steep, curvy hills and incredible plantations surround most portions of the Western Ghat. What’s more? Enjoy the majestic waterfalls while you’re at it.
3. Visit the Eravikulam National Park: Meet the exotic life protected within the many beautiful shelters of Munnar. For instance, the Eravikulam National Park. You may even get the glimpse of the rare Nilgiri Tahr, these friendly, docile sweet animals. You will surely have a fun time.
4. Visit the Top Station Viewpoint: One of the most popular destinations in Munnar for visitors is the Top Station Viewpoint. Get the panoramic view of the whole of Munnar from one of the highest points in Munnar. Situated on the Munnar-Kodaikanal Road, take special attention of this rare Neelakurunji flower that literally blooms only once every 12 years.
5. Explore the adventurous spirit in you in Munnar: There are an array of sporting and adventurous sports that you can indulge in. Choose from a range of thrilling activities such as rock climbing, rappelling, paragliding and even cycling and start your day in a unique way. You will surely receive a unique perspective of Munnar through the numerous activities that are offered at the location.
6. Stroll through the Blossom International Park: The Blossom International Park of Munnar is filled with numerous gardens that consist of blooming flower-beds and amazing surroundings.
The climate in Munnar is present throughout the year, so you can visit anytime. Monsoons could be the best season to visit the place given its lush greenery during this time from the month June to September. However, it is definitely not the best time to trek there as the tracks might be slippery and dangerous. It could get extremely cold during the winters and it is best to avoid planning your visit during the months of December and January.
The most convenient spot to reach Munnar is from the Cochin in Kerala with a distance of about 127 km to cover. The possible ways to reach Munnar from Cochin are:
1. Road – It takes maximum of 4 hours of travel to reach Munnar through road. KSRTC government buses are the cheapest option, whereas you could also take other bus options and cabs to get there.
2. Rail – Depending on the availability, you could choose from taking a train either from Coimbatore or Cochin Railway station.
Basking in lush greenery, Munnar is undoubtedly one of the best places to visit in Kerala. Popular for its’ tea plantations, there are also many good sightseeing places in Munnar. Some of them are:
1. Eravikulam National Park
3. Mattupetty Dam
5. Hydel Park
6. Pothamedu view point
7. Munnar Tea Museum
8. Kundala Dam Lake
9. Attukal Falls
Munnar being situated in the state of Kerala offers the local Kairali Cuisine. Some good places to experience the local cuisine are:
1. Food stalls in the Bazaar
2. Mezbaan hotel
3. Thattu Kada
4. Gurubhavan hotel
5. Hill spice restaurant
6. Rapsy restaurant
There are quite a few ways you could use to commute around Munnar. They are:
1. Bus – Public buses are available for prices as cheap as INR 5 to INR 25 and can take you in and around Munnar.
2. Taxi – If you want to get dropped off right at the doorstep of your location, taxis are available.
3. Auto-Rickshaws – Auto rickshaws are cheaper than cabs and usually have a meter that you can pay by.
4. Bikes – To leisurely discover the place by yourself, you can rent a bike for yourself for around INR 300 per day.
The main shopping that you can do in Munnar is for their Tea. Some places where you can shop in Munnar are:
1. Krishna Shopping Mall
2. Main Bazaar
3. Tea factories
4. Coffee factories
5. Aranya Naturals
6. Tata tea’s srishti welfare centre
The town of Munnar has more than 30 tea plantations in and around the hill station. Walking around the beautiful tea gardens with the fragrance of tea all over is by itself a pleasurable activity. The thought of a visit to Munnar goes hand in hand with exploring the Tea Gardens. The town also has a tea museum owned by the Tata Group that you must visit. Among the numerous tea gardens, the best ones to stroll amongst are:
1. Kolukkumalai Tea Estate
2. Windermere Estate
3. Kannan Devan Hills
Some good places to witness wildlife safari in and around Munnar are:1. Eravikulam National Park:
Given the comforts of little cottages and resorts amidst the lush dense greenery of Munnar, it is a nice hill station for a honeymoon. The place by itself is very romantic, however, there are many romantic things to do on the honeymoon. Some are:-
1. Take a walk at the tea gardens of Kolukkumalai
2. Have a picnic at the beautiful Lakkam Waterfalls
3. Take a boat ride in Kundala Lake – INR 10 per person for 20 minutes
4. Try some ayurvedic spa in Antara AyurSpa, Spandini Spa or Tattavam Spa.