About Attukad Waterfalls
It is located in the mountainous Idukki district on the way from Munnar to Pallivasal where the Attukad Falls cascading down roaringly is a thrilling spot to halt by. There’s abundant greenery as far as the vision goes, and resounding peacefulness found amidst untouched nature.
The lush jungles are inviting for an adrenalin-thumping trek inside deep woods, but if you are only in the mood to relax, feel free to settle by the falls with a picnic basket and a good book! Unlike most mountain destinations, Attukad Falls in the Western Ghats is recommended for a visit during the monsoons as well as in the clearer seasons.
The road to the falls remains comparatively safe to travel during frequent showers, while the verdant surroundings turn brilliantly scenic after the rains. It’s a treat to the senses to walk the wet earth and listen to the rain falling through the foliage.
The cool and deep, speedily running waters of the pool formed at the base of the falls is just right for an enjoyable swim. The mountain stream too turns wild and untamed during this season, thus doubling up the pleasure. There are also a number of top reviewed luxuriant resorts set in the woods near here.
How to Reach Attukad Waterfalls
Munnar is the most popular tourist town near Attukad Falls, which can be accessed conveniently by car or auto rickshaw or public transport buses. Moolakadai bus station and the Kerala State Road Transport Depot in Munnar town are the two specific places from where frequent transport to the Falls is available. The waterfall is situated at a distance of 9 km from Munnar town.
Best Time to Visit Attukad Waterfalls
The monsoons, when the waterfall is at its most vigorous form, from mid-June to September is the best time to visit this site. Here’s what to expect in the other seasons:
What Not to Miss at Attukad Waterfalls
Attractions Near Attukad Waterfall
1. Punarjani Traditional Village- Located at a distance of 5.6 km from Attukad is one of the most important centers of Kerala’s cultural heritage. Here, you can watch daily shows of Kerala’s various performance arts. Be it a Kathakali dance show or Kerala’s awe-inspiring martial arts show of Kalaripayattu, a visit to the Punarjani Traditional Village will leave you impressed.
2. Kannan Devan Tea Museum- Located at a distance of 8.2 km from Attukad falls, a visit to this site will enlighten you about how the entire tea plantations of Munnar have come into being. It is also a great place to buy quality tea at reasonable prices when in Munnar.
3. Devikulam- A bit far from the falls, located at a distance of 10.6 km from Attukad, Devikulam is a stretch of velveteen meadows where you will be tempted to walk barefoot. Visit Devikulam to take a tour of unending tea and spice plantations, walk by the banks of the Devikulam Lake of Sita Devi Lake, and stop by at the little hamlet at the base of the hills.
Things to Do at Attukad Waterfall
1. Trekking: Located in between Munnar and Pallivasal, this waterfall secreted away behind thick forest foliage is a remarkable trekking destination in the Western Ghats. It’s an hour’s brisk walk on rocky terrains from a bridge connecting to the road head near the falls.
2. Wildlife Sightings: Spot interesting flora and fauna typical of the adjoining Eravikulam National Park. Endemic species like the Nilgiri Tahr, Nilgiri marten, striped-necked mongoose etc are common to spot in these forests.
3. Birding: Enthusiastic birders will find the waterfall site of great interest as a variety of avifauna flocks the waters at dawn and dusk. You can hope to spot endemic birdlife like-- Nilgiri pipit, Nilgiri flycatcher, Nilgiri wood pigeon, and Kerala laughing thrush in the thickets around the falls.
4. Rappelling: The rocky stretches around the falls offer great sites for rappelling. You can sign up with an adventure tour operator based out of Munnar to come rappelling in the mountains around this spectacular waterfall, or simply come with your own gears.
5. Take a dip in the pool: Get in the natural pool at the base of the cascade and relax in the pleasant coolness of the place.
Other Essential Information About Attukad Waterfalls
Location: Drive to the bridge overlooking the falls on Attukad Waterfall Rd in Pallivasal, Kerala- 685565.
Places to Stay Near Attukad Waterfall
1. Green Tea View, Munnar: Located near to the Munnar Tea Museum, this idyllic homestay in the woods provide cosy accommodation, a shared lounge, and a terrace overlooking the greenery. You also get to enjoy an a la carte breakfast at this accommodation.
Places to Eat Near Attukad Waterfall
1. Hornbill Restaurant: Located on Bison Valley Road close to Pothamedu viewpoint, this romantic mountain restaurant is located at a spa retreat serving global and continental food as well as Kerala-special thalis served on plantain leaf spreads. Check-in at this restaurant for the sheer joy of holding a cuppa of aromatic Munnar coffee against the lush tea estates seen cascading across the hills.
Tips for Visiting Attukad Waterfall
1. Start your journey early in the morning from Munnar or Palivasal, so that a few more attractions near the waterfall can be covered, like-- Eravikulam National Park safari in the afternoon, and a drive to the magnificent viewpoints like Echo Point and Pothamedu.
2. Come prepared for light showers with a rain poncho or a rain jacket, and a cover for your backpack.
3. Tough trekking shoes are essential for walking on the dirt track down to the falls, because the path is rocky and can get very slippery after rain.
4. Bring towels and slippers if you plan to take a bath in the clean waters at the base of the cascade.
5. Bring binoculars and cameras with powerful lenses to catch sight of the vibrant avifauna found in these jungles surrounding the falls.