The capital of India is one of the most visited places in the country. Indian as well as international tourists always include Delhi in their itineraries. Delhi boasts a mixture of historic, pre-historic and modern architecture which appeals to the tourists. The local markets that offer a generous variety of food delicacies, spices and at the same time ethnic clothes at cheap rates afford a major crowd, both local and foreign nationals. The best sightseeing tours in Delhi include the Qutub Minar, Humayun’s Tomb and the Safdarjung Tomb which are the pre-historic tourist spots that share a lot of history with this great nation. Along with them are Diwan-E-Aam, Diwan-E-Khaas, Jantar Mantar and the Jama Masjid. These locations in and around Delhi reflect the past of the city as well as the country.
The tourists can find out about the rulers who once ruled this country and considered Delhi as the capital of their empire, although they had a different name for the city at the time. The people looking to add some spiritual sense to their journey visit many of the temples, churches, mosques and dargahs situated in the Delhi-NCR region. One of the most esteemed and highly regarded place in Delhi is the Hazrat Nizamuddin Dargah. People from who follow Islam in India hope to visit this place when they are in Delhi. Even people from the neighbouring country of Pakistan come and visit the dargah, ask for the blessings of the saint Hazrat Nizamuddin. The magnificent and gigantic Akshardham Temple is an architectural marvel. The ISKCON temple and the Baha’i Temple, commonly known to the public as Lotus Temple and the Lakshminarayan Temple (Birla Mandir) are some of the holy places in Delhi.
When we move from history and spirituality to the modern era; food, shopping and fun and frolic are at the pinnacle of our discussions. The Connaught Place and Chandni Chowk are filled with places to shop for numerous items. If we keep the shopping aside for a bit, these two places are a treat for everyone’s taste buds! One can enjoy almost any cuisine in the Connaught Place and if they wish to dive into the local delicacies, Chandni Chowk will show them a great time! Check out the best sightseeing tours in Delhi to wholeheartedly enjoy all the experiences here.
People Also Ask About Sightseeing in Delhi
Which is the best time to visit Delhi for sightseeing?
It is most advisable to visit Delhi during the winter season (October to March). While you will have to scorch in the sun the rest of the year, these months bear beautiful flowers and the weather is very pleasant and sometimes chilly.
Which places are good for sightseeing in Delhi?
Delhi has a lot of places to visit for sightseeing. From monuments to temples to adventures, here is a list of places you can visit. Here are a few famous monuments of the city:
- India Gate – This is a famous war memorial and is beautifully lit after sunset.
- Qutub Minar – This heritage monument has Quran scripted on it and is as high as 72.5 mtrs.
- Red Fort – Fort built and designed way back by the Mughal Dynasty
- The Lotus Temple – Bahai house of worship located in Bahapur.
- Akshardham Temple – It is a spiritual cultural campus located in Noida.
- Hanuman Mandir – Features a magnificent huge statue of Hanuman which is a 108 ft.
- Birla Mandir – Also known as the Laxmi Narayan Temple, located in Mandir Margh.
- ISKCON temple – This institution is dedicated to Lord Krishna, Hare Krishna Hill.
Which things are a must to do in Delhi?
Delhi has tons of things to keep you occupied. Here are a few must-do things in the capital city:
- Street shopping at Chandni Chowk
- Visit India Gate in the evening
- Akshardham Temple for the water show in the evening
- Street Food hopping
- Walk around Connaught Place
- Experience the kingdom of dreams
- Take the Rajpath Segway Tours
- Changing of Guard ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhawan
How much time does it require for a Delhi sightseeing trip?
It takes about 4 to 5 days to completely be able to experience the Delhi culture including a day solely committed to shopping.
What different types of sightseeing options are available in Delhi?
Delhi has a huge variety of options available for sightseeing. The types of sightseeing can be categorized into:
- Historical monuments
- Temples or spiritual sightseeing
- Gastronomy sightseeing
- Adventure trips
- Shopping arenas
Are there any bus/taxi services which will help me with sightseeing in Delhi?
You could take the Delhi Bus HOHO (Hop On Hop Off) service and have a tour of sightseeing. The buses are air-conditioned and keep you cool from the Delhi heat. It has free audio commentary.
The ticket for using this bus is approximately INR 500 per person. It takes you around 20+ tourists spots.
Which meals must I try in Delhi? Which are some famous restaurants I must visit?
Delhi is very popular for its street food. So do not miss that. Here is a list of best restaurants with different cuisines in Delhi:
- Shang Palace – located in Connaught place and serves Chinese.
- Sorrento – located in Connaught place and serves Italian.
- Tamra – located in Connaught place and serves Asian (Indian, Chinese and Japanese)
- Oriental Octopus – located on Lodhi road, it is vegetarian friendly and also has gluten free options.
- Tadka – located on Nehru Baazar Ramdwara Road and serves Indian food.
Which places are best for street shopping in Delhi?
Delhi, without doubt, is popular for its’ street shopping. The best places to do some street shopping are:
- Sarojini Nagar – You can find branded export goods here for a fraction of their sale price.
- Janpath – this market is best for its accessories.
- Palika Bazaar – most known for its second hand goods, electronics, etc.
- Paharganj – a place where you can turn over your entire wardrobe
- Dilli Haat – great for handlooms and handicrafts
What sort of nightlife can I experience in Delhi?
Nightlife is often misunderstood to solely be clubbing. However, there is so much more to it than just that. Here are the best nightclubs in Delhi that will keep your feet tapping:
- Ghungroo – Opens at 10:30 pm, located in ITC Sheraton.
- Agni – Located at the Park hotel and is open until 12:30 PM
- Kitty Su – located in The Lalit, open until 12:30 PM
- Raasta – located in Cyber hub.
Here is a list of other things you can do at night:
- Hard Rock Cafe – for a musical night by live bands
- Hybrid - for unique music collections
- Yellow brick Road- all 24 hour open restaurant in Taj Vivanta
- JNU Dhaba – amazing street food
Which places are considered to be romantic in Delhi?
With the city being all about buzz and hustle, there are only few places where you can actually completely enjoy in privacy. Here is a list of the few:
- Fio and Magique – This garden of 5 senses provides a romantic date setting with striking lightning and delicious dining options.
- Parthasarathy rocks – Nothing could get as romantic as sitting atop the rocks of this place and witnessing the sunset among lush greenery.
- Cherie – This opulent restaurant serves French and Italian cuisine and is located at Mehrauli. This place would make for a perfect candle light dinner.
- Lodi, The Garden – This tranquil Modern European restaurant is located at Mausam Bhavan and serves delicious gourmet dishes made from seasonal and organic produce.
Which places must a couple visit in Delhi for sightseeing?
Some of the best places to visit for couples in Delhi are:
- Fio and Magique – this garden has a lovely light setting and is extremely beautiful especially in the evenings. It is also known as the garden of 5 senses. Couples can enjoy a lovely meal at the restaurant in this garden.
- Parthasarathy rocks – Enjoy an evening watching the sunset among these big boulders. A walk through this path with nice breeze will make your evening pleasant.
Which places are most enjoyable for kids in Delhi?
There are various activities that kids can enjoy in Delhi. Some popular places for adventure in Delhi are:
- Lock N Load – This is an indoor paintball arena put up at the pacific mall. This place also has laser tag to play.
- Adventure Island – Entertainment zone and amusement park.
- National Zoological Park – for nature lovers. The variety of animals will have the kids thrilled.
- National science centre – a mix of fun and knowledge, this museum has many interesting exhibits and it is worth the visit.
- Worlds of wonder – Amusement park, water and land rides.
- Adventure Island – Amusement Park.
- iSkate – entertainment centre with ice skating, karaoke, music, etc.
Which stay options are available in Delhi?
Delhi being the capital city of India has various stay options. Ranging from 5 star hotels to budget hotels to guest houses, there are numerous types of accommodations to choose from, which will best fit your budget and convenience.
Here are a few suggestions from each:
- Five star hotel – The Leela Palace, New Delhi or The Taj Mahal Hotel, New Delhi
- Ibis Hotel – New Delhi, Aerocity
- Guesthouses – various OYO options available.
Is it safe to travel around Delhi for a solo female traveller?
Yes, it is safe for solo women travelers to travel in Delhi. However, it is suggested for them to stay away from closed secluded areas, especially at night.
Can someone visit Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi? Is there any entrance fee?
Yes, you can visit the Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi. You could make a pre-booking online on the official website. The entrance fee is as low as INR 25 per person.
It is important to note that there are certain rules and regulations to follow during your visit, for example: Phones and cameras are strictly prohibited inside the premises.
What is special about India Gate?
India Gate is a memorial built in commemoration of thousands of soldiers killed in World War I. It is the foremost important monument of the city.
It is a monument made of red stones. It is a beautiful sight to witness India Gate in the evenings as it lights up and has various shows or activities put up below it.
Where is Akshardham Temple located? Which is the best time to visit this temple?
The famous Akshardham Temple is located in Noida, Delhi. The best time to visit the temple is in the evening after sunset.
Around 7:30 PM , you can witness a beautiful water show at the Temple which is a huge attraction by itself.
Which are some places near Delhi we can go for sightseeing over the weekend?
Here are few places you could visit for sightseeing during weekends in Delhi:
- Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary – 50 km from Delhi, with a large number of bird species for bird watching.
- Fort of Hansi – 137 km from Delhi, ancient fort in Haryana.
- Mathura – 182 km away, sacred city in Uttar Pradesh.
- Vrindavan – 176 km from Delhi, holy town in Uttar Pradesh where you can have a heritage visit.
Which are some famous historical monuments in Delhi for sightseeing?
Delhi has numerous famous monuments to see. There are several tour companies that offer historical tour visits of Delhi. Some of the historical places that you shouldn’t miss while you are there are:
- India Gate – War memorial
- Qutub Minar – 5-storey monument
- Humayun’s tomb – 16th centuries tomb
- Old Delhi in Shahjahanabad
- Red Fort – historical fort of the mughal dynasty.
- Jama Masjid – one of the largest mosques of the city.
Which are some famous Himalayan trekking destinations near Delhi?
The lists of Himalayan treks are never-ending. Here is a list of the most convenient ones from Delhi:
- Nag Tibba trek in Uttarakhand – Easy trek at the highest peak of the lesser Himalayan region.
- Roopkund trek in Uttarakhand – moderate level of difficulty. Takes about a week.
- Hampta pass Trek in Himachal Pradesh – easy trek level for 4-5 days.
- Indrahar Pass Trek in Himachal Pradesh – challenging trek that lasts for 7 days
Where can we go for wildlife safari from Delhi?
Famous wildlife sanctuary/safaris near Delhi are:
- Sariska National Park, Rajasthan – 230 km away
- Rajaji National Park, Uttarakhand – 220 km away
- Corbett Tiger Reserve, Uttarakhand – 230 km away
What’s special about about Chandani Chowk in Delhi?
This famous market is one of the oldest and busiest markets of the city. It is home to the famous monument – Red Fort. The market is spread over a vast region and it’s specialty is the variety that it provides.
Be it fabrics, jewelry, consumer goods or food, authenticity is at its best here. The markets within Chandni Chowk are segregated in terms of types of goods sold, you are sure to find what you need here.