Trekking in Chikmagalur: Check out the best Chikmagalur trekking Packages along with a complete travel guide for Treks in Chikmagalur. Book Now for the Best Deals & Offers
Explore the bounties of nature with trekking in Chikmagalur! Famed as the “The Coffee Plantations Land” this place is located at a distance of 178 km from Mysore and is a must-visit destination for the trekkers. From the higher altitude range to the lower ones, here you can witness each one of them. The famous trail for the experienced trekkers is the Mullayanagiri trek that is the highest peak of Karnataka and is an arduous one.
Chikmagalur trekking includes Sakleshpur trek, Kumara Parvatha trek, Kudremukh trek, Agumbe Ghat that is locally called as the Narasimha Parvatha trek, and several others. While the lower trails are at an altitude of 1000 meters above the ground other range about 4000 meters. The best time to witness these trails is from September to March as the climatic conditions are quite favourable and are perfect for trekking. There is a range of trekking trails while some of them are the best beginners and others are the best options for the adventure seekers. If you are new to this sport then trace the Sakleshpur trail but if you are trained one then witness the higher elevations like Narasimha Parvatha trek as it is the best choice for you.
Trekking places in Chikmagalur offer scenic views of nature and you have a blissful time here as the environs are packed with an exotic collection of flora and fauna. Make sure that you take your friends and family along with you and create everlasting memories on the paradisiacal hikes of Chikmagalur. So pull out your best trekking boots and get ready to trace the Chikmagalur treks!
People Also Ask About Trekking in Chikmagalur
Which are some of the famous treks in Chikmagalur?1. Kemmangundi Trek: Trek to Kemmangundi Peak is one of the most popular Chikmagalur trekking trails. This is a 5-kilometer easy level trek that would take you approximately 5 hours to complete. The major attractions that would fall on your way to the peak are the Hebble Falls and the Horticulture Farms. This trek is famous for the mesmerizing beauty of the beautiful gardens and the valleys that surround the Kemmangundi Peak. The start point of this morning trek is almost 50 kilometers from the main Chikmagalur city.
Location: Kemmangundi, ChikmagalurPrice: INR 1000/personTimings: 7:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
2. Kumara Parvatha Trek: Kumara Parvatha is considered to be one of the most beautiful Chikmagalur trekking places. Also, the Kumara Parvatha trek is one of the most beautiful, toughest as well as one of the longest treks in the whole of South India. There are two trekking trails that take you all the way to the peak of Kumara Parvatha. One trail starts from Somwarpet, which is almost 6 kilometers long. The other trail starts from Subrahmanya and is almost 16 kilometers long. The shorter trail has more waterfalls en route as well as a denser natural landscape.
Location: Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Karnataka
3. Mullayanagiri Trek: This beautiful Chikmagalur trekking trail takes you all the way to the summit of the tallest peak in Karnataka. Reaching the summit, where the popular Mullappa Swami Temple is also situated, requires rigorous trekking for almost 3 kilometers. The summit is believed to offer some of the most mesmerizing panoramic views of the valleys and mountains all around. You will also get to witness a number of enthralling waterfalls on your way to the peak. Moreover, your trek would also include travel to and from Bangalore, along with meals and stay in a tent or dormitory.
Location: Chandra Drona Hill Ranges, Chikmagalur DistrictPrice: INR 1849/person (2D/1N)Timings: 10:00 P.M. (Day 1) – 10:00 P.M. (Day 2)
4. Kudremukh Trek: This trek allows you to admire the beautiful dense forests of Kudremukh National Park, spread over 600 sq. km., in the best way possible. This 22-kilometer-long to-and-fro trek takes you to an altitude of 1894m, from where you get to enjoy the uninterrupted views of the Kudremukh National Park and the adjoining peaks. Your tour shall include travel to and from Bangalore, meals, overnight stay, as well as a tour guide, to enhance your trekking experience.
Location: Mudigere Taluk Chikmagalur district, KarnatakaPrice: INR 2449/person (2D/1N)Timings: 9:00 P.M. (Day 1) – 10:00 P.M. (Day 2)
5. Sakleshpur Railway Trek: Sakleshpur is considered to be one of the most beautiful Chikmagalur trekking places due to its natural beauty and mesmerizing waterfalls. This beautiful trek starts from Sakleshpur Railway Station and takes you all the way to Yedakumeri Railway Station, along the railway track itself. This amazing 20-kilometer-long stretch has a number of beautiful waterfalls, railway girder bridges, as well as tunnels that will make your trekking experience really beautiful. However, one needs to be really careful while taking on this marvelous yet risky trek.
Location: Sakleshpur Railway Station, Karnataka
6. BabaBudangiri Trek: This amazing trek starts from Sarpadhari in Mullayanagiri, which is the highest peak of Karnataka, and takes you to the second highest peak of Karnataka, which is Baba Budangiri. This amazing Chikmagalur trekking trail connects the two highest peaks of Karnataka, allowing you the best natural views and adventure. This amazing trail is almost 9 kilometers in length and would take you almost 5 hours to cover the same. If you are also considering camping, you can do so near the marvelous Manikyadhara Waterfall, which is surrounded by a dense cover of the natural landscape.
Location: Chikkamagaluru District, KarnatakaTimings: 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
7. Kurinjal Trek: Kurinjal Trek is also situated within the Kudremukh National Park. It is almost 90 kilometers from Chikmagalur. One way length of this amazing trek is almost 7 kilometers and would take you at least 4 hours to reach the summit. However, on our way down, the descent can be completed within 3 hours comfortably. This trek can easily be covered within one day.
Location: Kudremukh National Park, Chikmagalur
8. Jenukal Gudda Trek: This beautiful place is one of the best places for Chikmagalur trekking and is surrounded by beautiful coffee plantations and lush green forest coverage. An early morning trek to the summit is highly recommended to admire the beautiful views of the sunrise from the peak. This is a moderate-level trek, is almost 7 kilometers long, and would take you around 3-4 hours to complete the same. This trek difficulty level is easy to moderate and can easily be taken up by any individual with decent fitness levels.
Location: Sakleshpur, KarnatakaPrice: INR 1000/personTimings: 6 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
Which are the best short treks in Chikmagalur?1. Narasimha Parvatha Trek: This amazing trek starts from Kigga Temple and takes you on a beautiful trekking journey of 8 kilometers, all the way to the peak of Narasimha Parvatha. This would take almost 5 hours to complete and is best for those who wish to admire the outstanding beauty of the Western Ghats at its best. Apart from allowing you to capture the best of flora and fauna, if you wish to take a dip into the crystal-clear waters of the Sita river along the trail, do not forget to pack an extra set of clothes.
2. Mullayanagiri Trek: This is a small 3 kilometers long trek yet allows you to witness the most beautiful views of the mountain ranges of Karnataka. If you love spending some time along the serene waterfalls, you should definitely take up this short trek over the weekend to refresh yourself.
3. Bavikonda Kalchukki Trek: One of the least traveled and untouched natural trails near Chikmagalur is Bavikonda Kalchukki. This trek starts from Mullodi Village at the foothills and takes you to the peak of the mountain at approximately 4645 feet. This trek is quite interesting and unique as you will be mostly walking along the outer face of the mountain, getting to admire the most amazing views of the surroundings.
Must Checkout - Best Camping sites in Chikmagalur
What is the best time to visit Chikmagalur for trekking?The best time to take up trekking in and near Chikmagalur is from the month of September to April. The temperatures during this time are quite soothing and perfect for outdoor activities. Moreover, this time also offers the least amount of rainfall in the area, allowing you to enjoy your treks in the best way possible.
Must Visit - Places to Visit in Chikmagalur
Is it worth doing Kodachadri Peak trek? How difficult it is?
Yes, the Kodachadri Peak Trek is totally worth doing. It is adventurous and the peak which is the tenth highest peak in Karnataka offers a great weekend retreat.
This trek could be challenging as you have to pass through the rugged terrains but you will be rewarded with a stunning view from the peak. The sunset is also a breathtaking vista which you can witness along with this trekking experience.
Must Checkout - Best Waterfalls in Chikmagalur
Can we do Mullayanagiri Trek? Is it a difficult trek and what is the cost?
The Mullayanagiri Trek is the highest peak in Karnataka. It is a totally majestic trail and you will love this adventurous excursion enjoying the beauty of Western Ghats. The view is totally breathtaking and the trek offers an interesting exploration of nature.
The trek is comparatively easier and perfect for an adventurous excursion with friends and family. The cost for trekking starts from INR 3,289 per adult.
Can we do AmethiKallu Trek? How difficult it is?
In the Charmadi range of mountains, AmethiKallu is the most popular trekking spot in this part of India. It is one of the picturesque peaks and considered as a challenging experience.
The overnight trek offers panoramic views and a beautiful destination to relax and enjoy with a bonfire under the night sky.
What should I wear while trekking in Chikmagalur?
If you decided to experience Chikmagalur Trekking then make sure that you have pulled out your best trekking boots as the trails are quite rugged ones. Wear comfortable and cotton clothes for your own ease that will make your experience even more worthwhile.
Carry a jacket along with you as it may get cold in the higher altitudes. Avoid wearing heels and sandals, and rather wear comfortable shoes with good grip. And if you are trekking in winters, go in layers as it might get cold that will cause you a little discomfort.
Must Checkout - Chikmagalur Travel Guide
What things must I carry while going for trekking in Chikmagalur?
The things which you should not miss putting in your backpacks while going for a trek in Chikmagalur are:
-A jacket or some warm clothing to beat the chilly winds
-First aid kit and emergency medical supplies
-Light snacks or nutrition bars
-Plenty of water
Popular Read: Resorts in Chikmagalur
Get ready to feast your eyes with the charm of wild and natural beauty at Kudremukh National Park. This place is notable as one of the most visited Chikmagalur tourist places and offers a refreshing getaway. It is appreciated for its scenic splendor and houses some of the most gorgeous flora and fauna in the state of Karnataka. The word Kudremukh means a horse face and gives the name to the peak located in this park which is often hailed as a thrilling trekking place. Kudremukh National Park is a delight for wildlife enthusiasts and adventure lovers who wish to escape the worries of life in the most wonderful surroundings. This place is nestled between beautiful tea and coffee plantations and offers a rejuvenating trip in the midst of mesmerising wilderness and it is also one of the famous stops while trekking to Kudremukh Peak.
Situated at a distance of 20 km and 23 km respectively from Chikmagalur and Baba Budangiri, Mullayanagiri is Karnataka’s highest peak with an altitude of 1950 meters. There’s a small temple located on the topmost summit of this Mullayanagiri peak within which you have a small statue of Tapasvi Mullappa Swamy.According to the regional mythology, Tapasvi Mullappa Swamy observed meditation for years at the cave on top of the Mullayanagiri peak.This is the reason why the peak got its present identity. The old Kannada literature, however, relates the term ‘Mullai’ to the forests. The caves at the top of the Mullayanagiri hills are not so deep and has an entrance which directly leads you to the temple’s garbhagudi.Adventure buffs have a lot of things to do here as the destination serves as a hub for trekking, mountain biking, and road biking. Nestling amidst the Nilgiris and the mighty Himalayas, the panoramic beauty of Mullayanagiri is astounding. This is what makes the Mullayanagiri peaks as one of the most appealing destinations for intermediate trekkers.The trekking route to the topmost summit of Mullayanagiri starts from Sarpadhari which extends up to 3 km. It is relatively steep; yet you can easily cover the distance within 1.5 hours.There’s a Nandi statue, small streams, and a cave with a small water source to adore on your way. As there are no food or water reserves, you need to carry enough of them with you. Otherwise, you need to hold on your hunger and thirst until you reach the Lord Shiva temple located at the top. Must Checkout: Chikmagalur Tour Packages
Bababudangiri is an amazing trek in the mountains of Chikmagalur, located at a distance of 250 km from Bangalore, making it ideal for a weekend getaway. Starting on the hiking trail from Sarpadhari (alternatively from Attinagundi), you can see the peaks of Budangiri (1895 m) and Mullayanagiri (1930 m) looming at a distance. Together, the two mountains appear like a crescent moon, therefore known as the Chandra Drona Range. Trekking enthusiasts have a lot to look forward to on the Budangiri hike. Trails snake through dark forests of shola trees, occasional moraine-filled rocky stretches, and miles of serene green grasslands on the rolling hills. Come on this trek to take in all the spectacular vistas of the enclosing slopes of the Nilgiri Hills, try your luck at spotting wildlife when crossing through the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, and test your stamina at negotiating a few steep inclines. Some of the highlights on this trek are- walking on the Blade Ridge on the way to Mullayanagiri, camping and campfire in the forest clearings, ancient cave explorations, and stunning hillscape photography from several viewpoints along the way. Blooming of the kurinji flowers in the low lying slopes of the Nilgiris is a rare seasonal attraction in these parts of the hills.The flowers blossom at an interval of every 12 years, cloaking the entire vicinity in shades of blue, giving the Nilgiri hills its name! The Budangiri mountain is also an important pilgrimage for Hindus and Muslims for the legacy of the Sufi saint Baba Budan and the hindu deity Dattatreya.Also Checkout: Honeymoon Places in Chikmagalur