Pilot Reef Scuba Diving
Pilot Reef Scuba Diving is 38 km away from Port Blair.
Pilot Reef is a diving destination close to Havelock Island, in Andaman District of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Pilot reef is a huge block of pristine hard corals.
You can also take advantage of the various courses that are offered by the resorts in scuba diving. Most of these courses last from a day to a week and are conducted by PADI certified instructors.
How to reach
Reach by Air from Chennai to Port Blair and then from Port Blair to Islands by Sea and road. Regular ships are available.
Exact Location: Located on the islands of Andaman.
Nearest Location: Port Blair, which is 38km away from Port Blair.
Distance from Chennai to Port Blair: 1190 km., Calcutta “ Port Blair- 1255kms.
Best time to visit: December to April.
- All Foreign nationals need to obtain prior permission before entering into Havelock.
- There are few internet cafes and ATMs in Port Blair.
- Consult Life guards before entering the sea.
- You can walk from beach 1 to beach 5 in less than an hour. To get to beach 7, which is some distance away, you can choose from the hourly bus, a rickshaw, a taxi or rent your own moped or scooty (a gearless scooter).
Things to Carry
- Woolen clothes
- Water, juices, snacks
- Electric torch
- Medical kit
- A good compass
Tips for diving at the coral reefs
- Do not pick coral to carry home as souvenirs. Take photographs, not specimens.
- Do not anchor your boat on the reef.
- Clean the reef after every dive.
- Do not walk directly on the reef.
- Do not litter the coast with plastic bags or plastic items. Take back the waste with you to the main coast.
- Do not leave behind used bottled water containers.
Situated 29 km. from Port Blair, the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park at Wandoor is the main attraction.
Spread over 55 square miles, Havelock Island has a large number of diving sites. You can explore its myriad reefs, underwater rock formations, canyons etc.