McLeodganj, also known as Little Lhasa is a suburb of Dharamshala in Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh in India. It is a hill station near Dharamshala that has a beautiful blend of Tibetan with some British influence and culture. This little city is famous around the world for being the home to the Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama and Mcleodganj tour packages are also counted among the best packages and are popular amongst trekkers and adventure enthusiasts. It is a beautiful town situated near upper Dharamsala and is nestled amidst majestic hills and lush greenery. It has one of the most mesmerizing landscapes in the entire state of Himachal Pradesh and attracts a lot of tourists throughout the year.
Tour to Mcleodganj is often coupled with trips to Dharamshala, Bhagsu Nag and Kangra Valley that are situated very close to each other. Tourists often cover all these destinations at one go. The specially of Mcleodganj is that it is a very spiritual and sacred town. Some of the most eminent and religiously significant monasteries including the Namgyal Monastery and Tsuglagkhang, where the spiritual leader Dalai Lama resides are located in this mighty land. Bot, national as well as international travelers, especially Buddhist followers are often spotted here.
Some of the popular attractions in Mcleodganj include visiting Dal Lake, trekking in Triund, Bhagsu Nath Temple, Bhagsu falls, Tibet museum, etc. Other than these places that make up major sightseeing tours, there are many heavenly places or sites worth visiting and experiencing around McLeodganj. These places promise to leave travelers speechless with their beauty and serenity. The best time to visit Mcleodganj is from October to June when the climate is extremely pleasant so opt for Mcleodganj tour packages during this time. Summers have temperatures hovering around 25 degrees that are ideal for outdoor activities. Similarly, it is best to avoid July and August due to the heavy rainfall this town receives.
Popular Mcleodganj Tour Packages
|Triund Trek 2021, Mcleodganj | Book @ ₹967 Only!||2D/1N||₹ 967||5.0 star|
|Laka Glacier Trek with Triund, Mcleodganj | Book @ 20% off||3D/2N||₹ 3450||5.0 star|
|Indrahar Pass Trek, Mcleodganj 2021 | Book Now @ 21% off||4D/3N||₹ 6499||5.0 star|
|Kareri Lake Trek from Mcleodganj||3D/2N||₹ 2899.0||4.0 star|
|Mcleodganj Honeymoon Tour||4D/3N||₹ 12999||4.0 star|
People Also Ask About Mcleodganj Tours
Which are the famous places to visit during Mcleodganj tour?
1. Bhagsunath Waterfall & Temple:
The majestic Bhagsu waterfalls are situated near the Bhagsunath village which is about 7000 feet above the sea level. Bhagsunath temple is the prime attraction of this high altitude place. The stunning waterfalls located near the temple is an extreme grandeur. The breathtaking view of the surrounding Kangra valley is not to be missed by any adventure fanatic or nature lover.
Location - Bhagsunath village.
Timing: 7 AM to 9 PM (Time Required to visit this place is - 1 to 2hours)
Temple remains open from 5:00 AM to 12:00 PM and then from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
2. Namgyal Monastery:
Namgyal Monastery, also known as Dalai Lama Main Temple, is well known for its serene ambiance where visitors get a touch of spirituality. Anyone visiting this place is welcomed to join their meditation sessions. The monastery is famous for its ornamental façade and is also the largest Tibetan temple outside Tibet.
Timing: 5 AM to 8.30 PM.
3. Tsuglagkhang Complex:
Just above the town of Dharamshala, is Tsuglagkhang, the place which is the home of the Dalai Lama. Apart from his residence, this complex also houses Tsuglagkhang Temple, Namgyal Monastery, and Tibet Museum.
The entire complex, except for Dalai Lama’s residence is open to tourists. The Complex houses a beautiful statue of Lord Buddha as well as statues of Chenrezig and Guru Rinpoche. The museum inside Tsuglagkhang houses many imprints of Tibetan art and culture giving an insight into Tibetan Culture. The various items include historical documents, pottery, handicrafts, paintings, etc. The structure of the Tibet Museum is influenced by Tibetan architecture which has made it unique.
November - March: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
April - October: 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM.
4. Triund Hill:
For those who want to seek adventure in the majestic Himalayas, Triund is an easy trek. The trekking trails of 6 to 8 km from Mcleodganj offers a breathtaking view of the entire Kangra Valley on one side and snow-covered Dhauladhar Mountains on the other side.
The first half of the trek is a gradually inclined walk which converts to a vertical climb for the last 2 km. The trek also has a view of the Moon Peak-Indrahar Pass. Sometimes, visitors also get the opportunity to sight rare species of beautiful birds.
Location: Triund , Mcleodganj.
Timing: 7 AM to 7 PM (Time Reqd for the journey is 5-6 hours).
5. Dhauladhar Range:
This beautiful range is a part of the Himalayan chain of mountains rising from the plain and ends at the north of Kangra and Mandi. The highest peak in the range is the Hanuman Tibba. The name Dhauladhar translates into as ‘ White Range ‘ and the snow-clad mountain range with its panoramic views justifies the name. The range provides a flattering view of the Kully valley and is spotted covered with Pine and Deodar trees which are covered with snow.
6. Brajeshwari Temple:
The beautiful Brajeshwari temple is one of the most important attractions being one of the 51 Skati Peeths of India. Its beautiful architecture mesmerizes visitors. The best time to visit this temple is during the Aarti which the beauty of the temple enhances in the light of the diyas.
Location: Kangra, Mcleodganj.
Timing: Open every day from morning to night except from 1 pm to 3 pm.
7. St. John in the Wilderness Church:
St. John in the Wilderness is one of the most important churches in Himachal Pradesh. This neo-gothic church was built in dedication to John the Baptist. Set amidst deodar forests, this peaceful place of worship is known for its Belgian stained-glass windows.
Monday - Saturday: 7:00 AM - 6:30 PM.
Sunday: 9:00 AM - 6:30 PM.
How much does a trip to Mcleodganj cost?A trip to Mcleodganj will cost around Rs. 4,000/- and upwards. Prices and tariff rates of the Mcleodganj tour packages generally tend to increase depending on the season and duration of stay.
How can I explore Mcleodganj in 3 days?1. Masroor Temple: A shining example of traditional Nagra architecture, this 8th century complex of rock cut temples is one of the most popular sightseeing spots in Mcleodganj. Rock carvings and inscriptions serve as added attractions here.2. Triund: A mandatory inclusive in all comprehensive Mcleodganj tour packages, Triund is a popular trekking destination here. Locally dubbed as the crown jewel of Mcleodganj, the scenic hilltop offers a perfect setting for daytime picnics and overnight camping.3. Bhagsu Falls: A stunning spectacle to behold, Bhagsu Falls is Mcleodganj’s most popular waterfall. The waterfall offers a perfect spot for hiking expeditions, picnics, and even swimming.4. Sunset Point: As suggested by its name, this vantage point is known for commanding excellent views of the setting sun. The spot is most popularly visited during the early evening hours, and is a common hub for couples.5. Maharana Pratap Sagar Lake: An artificial lake constructed by the river Beas, the stunning blue waters of the Maharana Pratap Sagar Lake offers activities such as boating and fishing. Home to a number of bird species, the lake is also popular among birdwatchers and photographers.6. Dharamkot: A quaint town in the outskirts of Mcleodganj, Dharamkot serves as an idyllic weekend getaway. Untampered by tourist activity, this town is a must-visit for travellers seeking solace.
What are the best things to do on the Mcleodganj tour?
Mcleodganj tour offers a wide range of activities. Some of the best things to do are-
1. Triund Hill Trek:
Triund trek is regarded as an easy Himalayan trek and is considered as the right choice for a beginner. The whole trek is nearly 9 km and out of that 4 km is a steep but easy climb. However, the last 2 km can be a bit tough for some. Visitors get relief from the steep climb when they reach the refreshing walks amongst rhododendron and oak trees.
The trail is famous for its 22 curves. The breathtaking view of the Kangra valley and the snow-covered Dhauladhar ranges makes it worth the effort of trekking. The night is spent at a camp at the highest summit which is a part of the Mcleodganj tour package.
Location: Triund Hill at 3 Km from Mcleodganj
Price: Around Rs.1000 per head.
Timing: 10 am on Day 1 to 2 pm on Day 2.
2. Boat ride in the Dal lake:
Boating in a small and beautiful lake is a pleasant experience. Deodar trees surrounding the lake provide a magical view. The scenic blue waters are suitable for day-long boating etc. Dal Lake is near the village of Total Rani in Kangra and is only 3 km away from Mcleodganj.
Location: Dal Lake
Time: 7 AM to 8 PM.
3. Kareri River Trek:
The Kareri River Trek as a part of the Mcleodganj tour package takes the visitors to the Kareri Lake, formed from the flow of melted waters of the Mankind Peak of the Dhauladhar range. The trek is through alpine grassland and subtropical forests.
The subtropical forests along the Kareri River are home to several Himalayan birds and animals. On the trek, trekkers will also encounter shepherd villages, cattle grazing farms, and a Lord Shiva temple. The trek can be completed in 2 days and includes a night at a camp near the lake.
Location: Kareri Village.
Price: Will depend on the Mcleodganj tour package visitors opt for.
Timing: 2 days.
4. Indrahar Pass Trek:
The Indrahar pass trek originates from McLeodganj, proceeds to Indrahar pass at 4324ft via Triund, Ilaqa Got, and Lahesh Caves. You can catch the amazing views of the Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal mountain ranges along with that of the sacred peaks of Mani Mahesh Kailash.
The adventurous trek involves continuous climbing over boulders and passes through Hindu temples and villages in the upper Ravi valley. The trail, which is a moderate to difficult one, also passes through ancient lands of Gaddi Shepherds. On the way, visitors can also feel delighted spotting wild goats, leopard, and Monal birds. To enjoy the beauty of nature combined with wildlife, tourists should not miss this trek during the Mcleodganj tour.
Location: Starts from Mcleodganj.
Price: Will depend on the Mcleodganj tour package visitors opt for.
5. Camping at Mcleodganj:
McLeodganj successfully magnetizes tourists every year for trekking and camping in the Dhauladhar Mountains and surrounding valleys and regions. Camping in McLeod Ganj amidst lush green nature with the view of the majestic Dhauladhar Mountains can be an amazing experience.
The mellow sounds of whispering winds in the darkness of the mountains at night can give tourists a thrill. It is cozy to sit in front of the campfire with a blanket around and gaze at the stars. The morning starts with the chirping sounds of birds, the only sound to break the silence of the mountains.
Price: Around Rs.1,500 per adult as per Mcleodganj tour package.
6. Shopping at the local markets:
McLeodganj is famous for Tibetan items such as prayer items, a statue of Buddha, carpets and rugs, dresses, paintings, wooden carvings, and woolens. These are available in the local markets of Jogibara Bazar and Kotwali Bazar. Tourists love to collect souvenirs from these markets during the Mcleodganj tour.
Location: Jogibara Bazar and Kotwali Bazar.
What are the famous adventure activities to do in Mcleodganj?
Some of the famous adventure activities to do while on a Mcleodganj tour package -
1. Paragliding - This is one of the best ways to enjoy the breathtaking beauty of the Himalayas. You will be crossing the picturesque landscapes by being closer to the sky with lush greenery below you. A perfect experience for every thrill-seeker out there. Needless to say, an experienced professional is provided to guide for safe Paragliding.
2. Flying Fox - This one is great fun during the Mcleodganj tour and is loved by the young as well as old. You will be connected to a cable by a handgrip or may have a seat attached to a pulley fixed to cable and will need to go from one end of the cable to the other.
3. Trekking - Most trekking starts from the base camp at Triund at a 2,900-metre elevation. This is the acclimatization point for trekkers climbing on Mt. Dhauladhar. At midway, one can cross through forests of deodar, pine, oak, and rhododendron, and also pass streams, rivers, and wind along vertiginous cliff tracks. Trekkers can opt for destinations of their choice in the Mcleodganj trip package.
4. Camping At Night - Night camping can be quite an amazing experience to enjoy the bonfire under the sheet of the sky with stars. The cool breeze is very relaxing and enjoyable. Setting a camp after a long trek at a spot with a breathtaking view is an unforgettable experience.
Can I do the Triund Trek in Mcleodganj? Is it a difficult trek?
Triund is a serene and alluring trekking destination. It is nestled in the lap of Dhauladhar Range which is 18 kilometers from Dharamshala. Visitors can experience jaw-dropping views of the lofty Dhauladhar ranges on one side and the gorgeous Kangra valley on the other. Triund trek is a moderately challenging trek and thus can be tried by adventure enthusiasts of all ages having attained considerable fitness.
The route is exhilarating and super thrilling and offers amazing panoramic views from the top at different times of the day; be it dusk, moonrise or dawn. This adventure trek comprises of undulating and steep yet well-defined trails that take you through lush forests of green rhododendron and oak trees.
Which are the best places to stay in Mcleodganj?
Some of the best places to stay are in Mcleodganj are:
1. Camping at Mcleodganj offers a different nightlife with campfires, exotic foods and sleeping arrangements in tents or otherwise. Lots of activities such as hiking, bike rides, etc can be arranged while camping in a Mcleodganj trip package.
2. Riverside camping is also popular at Dharamshala, which is only 8 km away from Mcleodganj. The river, with its surrounding mountains, gives a breathtaking view and is opted as a camping place by tourists.
3. Home Stay at Dharamshala - Homestays are a great relief from the conventional staying in hotels, far from the hustle and bustle of the main city during the Mcleodganj trip package. These offer the most basic amenities of a hotel, complete with separate bedrooms, washrooms, kitchen, and seating area, etc. The stay is perfect for those who are looking to reconnect with nature and want to stay in some peaceful place.
4. Heritage Villa Stay – This is an old fashioned villa, built in the 1890s overviewing the valley with snow-capped mountains, rich trees, and perennial streams. This Villa is rich in its architecture and is mostly made of Wood and stones giving it a rustic touch. All the rooms in the villa are very well maintained.
The villa also has a beautiful garden area offering a majestic view of Dhauladhar ranges of the Himalaya. Visitors often prefer to stay during the Mcleodganj trip package.
What kind of nightlife can I experience in Mcleodganj?Mcleodganj offers several options to weary tourists on the Mcleodganj tour to end their day on a happy note.
- There are several cafes where tourists visit for a cup of steaming coffee with snacks to unwind at the end of the day. Some of the shops are Illiterate Books & Coffee, Namgyal cafe, Hummingbird cafe & Indique Kitchen Bar Cafe.
- The street market shops at Kotwali Bazar and Jogibara Bazar are open for tourists to indulge in shopping delights.
- Several street food joints are offering particularly, Tibetan foods and snacks which are very popular with the tourists.
- There are some exotic bars to cater to different taste buds. Some of them offer live music for their guests. Some of the well-known bars are MCLO Resto & Bar, Xcite Bar, and B 6 Lounge & Bar.
- Several restaurants are offering Indian, Continentals, Italian, Chinese, and Tibetan food for tourists who like to taste a varied cuisine. Some of the good restaurants are Black Magic for Chinese & South Indian food, Morgan’s Place for outdoor dining, Nick’s Italian Kitchen for Italian food, and so on.
Which are the best places for shopping in Mcleodganj?
Mcleodganj is well known for its Tibetan souvenirs which easily attract tourists. The city has several markets where tourists visit for doing their shopping during the Mcleodganj tour.
1. Kotwali Bazaar is a street market which has shops selling several items such as singing bowls, Buddha statues, prayer wheels, and flags.
2. Jogiwara Bazaar is a street market selling many of the items such as Tibetan carpets, dresses, local metalworks and bead jewelry, silk and satin wall hanging, colorful bags and purses, etc.
3. Tibetian handicraft Center is famous for Tibetan rugs, carpets, and other Tibetan items.
4. The Tibet Fair Trade is famous for woollens.
5. Dharamsala Tea Company is one of the places famous for tea such as Kangra Tea, Tibetian Tea and other varieties.
What is the best time to visit Mcleodganj?
The best time to visit Mcleodganj is between October and January. However, Mcleodganj tour packages are available all year long. Let’s learn about all the seasons that Mcleodganj experiences throughout the year.
1. Summer Season (April –June): The usual temperature during summer season hovers between 22°C and 32°C. The flowers are in full bloom and one can indulge in numerous outdoor activities, such as trekking and camping.
2. Monsoon Season (July – September): It is not recommended to visit Mcleodganj during monsoon. It is a hilly region, and thus, there are chances of landslides and bad weather conditions.
3. Winter Season (October – January): The best time to visit Mcleodganj is during this time. The town looks dreamy under the blankets of snow during December and January. The temperature goes below zero at this time of the year.
4. Spring Season (February – March): The weather is refreshing at this time of the year. The warm and golden afternoon of the spring sun will rejuvenate your body and soul instantly.
How can I go to Mcleodganj? How can I go to Mcleodganj from Pathankot?
Mcleodganj is well-connected to the major cities of India, including Delhi, Bangalore, and Mumbai. One can reach Mcleodganj via air, rail, and road. Our Mcleodganj tour packages include complete pick and drop facilities.
By Air: The nearest airport to Mcleodganj is Gaggal, which is about 30 km away from the main city. One can hire a taxi from the Airport to reach Mcleodganj.
By Rail: The closest railway station to Mcleodganj is Kangra Mandir in Kangra Valley, which is about 20 km away from Mcleodganj. The nearest broad gauge station is Pathankot.
By Road: There are buses run by Himachal State Tourism from Delhi to Dharamshala. From Dharamshala, you can hire a cab, which takes about an hour or so to reach Mcleodganj. You can also hop on the local bus in Dharamshala, which will drop you at Mcleodganj.
Pathankot is situated at a distance of 90 km from Mcleodganj. If you are visiting Mcleodganj from Pathankot, then there are diverse means of transport to visit this beautiful Himachali town.
By Road: It takes about 2 hours to reach Mcleodganj from Pathankot via Volvo. You can also hire your own cab to comfortably reach the town.
By Rail: Kangra Valley Rail Passenger Express is the best train to travel to Mcleodganj. It takes about two hours from Pathankot to reach there.
By Air: There are direct flights available from Pathankot to Mcleodganj. It takes about an hour to cover the distance between the two towns.
Is it safe to travel McLeodganj?It is absolutely safe to travel to Mcleodganj at any time of the year. This serene Himalayan region receives an influx of tourists all year round and thus, it is pretty much impossible to remain isolated from the crowd for a long time.
You will also find many solo travellers exploring the town fearlessly. Nonetheless, it is advised to always remain aware of your surroundings.
What should I buy in McLeodganj?
Mcleodganj is quite popular for its Tibetan mats and carpets, antique showpieces, and craftworks. Some of the popular things to shop from Mcleodganj are –
Singing bowl: When rubbed with a wooden stick along its diameter, these bowls create soft music that soothes your ears. The best places to buy these bowls are Village Boutique and Tibet Museum.
Prayer Wheels and Flags: You can find these near the famous Dalai Lama temple.
Tibetan handicrafts and jewelry: Windchimes, earrings, cushion covers, lamps, etc. are a few things that you can take home as souvenirs. You can buy these from the street markets, such as Kotwali and Jogiwara Road Bazaar.
Other popular items to buy from Mcleodganj are Silk wall hangings, colorful bags, rugs and carpets, Buddha statues, paintings, hand-made diaries, and Kangra Tea.
What is McLeodganj famous for?
Mcleodganj is hugely popular for the following things-
Triund Trek: One of the most popular things to do in Mcleodganj is a hike to Triund. This 10-km long trek is surrounded by cascading waterfalls, majestic Dhauladhar Range, and blooming flowers. This trek is the highlight of most Mcleodganj tour packages.
Dal Lake: Located at a distance of 3-km from the main town, this lake is popular for boat rides and serene views.
Bhagsu Falls: Another popular inclusion in Mcleodganj tour packages, Bhagsu Falls is a picnic area, which is accompanied by a waterfall and a pristine temple of Lord Shiva.
Some other popular things to do in Mcleodganj are shopping at the local market, a visit to Namgyal Monastery and the Dalai Lama Temple, Indrahar Pass Trek, and Kangra Valley Trek.
How can I go to Mcleodganj from Dharamshala?
Mcleodganj, also known as Upper Dharamshala, is a suburb of Dharamshala, which is the main district of Kangra. There are local buses available from Dharamshala that go to Mcleodganj all the time. One can also hire a cab from Dharamshala to visit Mcleodganj. Other than that, our Mcleodganj packages also include a visit from Dharamshala to Mcleodganj.
It takes about half-an-hour, or so to cover the distance between the two Himachali towns. There is quite a lot of traffic on the road that connects Lower Dharamshala to Upper Dharamshala. Thus, it is advised to take extra time in your hands when you travel to Mcleodganj from Dharamshala.
How many days are enough for Mcleodganj?
Most Mcleodganj tour packages come with a minimum itinerary of 2-3 days. Here is a suggestive itinerary for the same.
Day 1: Let’s assume that you reached Mcleodganj in the morning. Start your journey with a stroll in the local market and a visit to Bhagsu Nath Temple, Bhagsu waterfall, and the Dalai Lama Temple. You can also visit Namgyal Monastery, Gyuto Monastery, and Tsuglagkhang Complex.
Day 2: You can start your trek to Triund on the second day. It will take you half-a-day to reach at the top. The best Mcleodganj packages recommend spending a night at Triund before heading down the next day.
Day 3: Keep your day reserved to soak in the scenic views and leisure around the hillside. Perhaps, visit the Dal Lake before heading back home.