Book Tour and Activities on the Go!
Situated close to Manimahesh Kailash Peak in the Pir Panjal Range of Himalayas, Manimahesh Lake is located in the Chamba district and is one of the most important places to visit in Chamba. The lake is located at a height of 4, 080 meters from the mean sea level and has high religious significance after Lake Mansarovar in Tibet.
The lake is a major pilgrimage trek, which is carried out during the months of August and September on the eighth day of new moon period, as per the Hindu Calendar and is known as 'Manimahesh Yatra.'
Akhand Chandi Palace displays the lavishness of Mughals and the artistic architecture of the British. It is a perfect blend of western and eastern architecture and was built in the year 1748-1764. While visiting the Akhand Chandi Palace, you can have a picturesque view of various other beautiful tourist destinations like Chamunda Devi Temple, Sui Mata Temple, Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Rang Mahal and many more.
One of the most beautiful features of the palace is that it has distinguishably green roof as the other houses in Chamba along with a conical roof to shed the snow. The palace has beautifully designed windows, which are painted in white.
Until 1957, the palace was with the royal family and in 1958, it was handed over to Himachal Government, which opened a college and district library in the palace.
Located near the Police Post and Treasury building in Chamba, Champavati Temple is one of the most religious destinations and best places to visit in Chamba. It was built by Raja Sahil Varman in the memory of Champavati who was her daughter. The temple's Shikhara style and various ornamental stone carvings make it distinguishable from others. It resembles the architectural pieces of Nepal, featuring structures that are cylindrical in shape and are categorized into 5 to 9 parts.
The temple holds the shrines of Vasuki Naga, Wazir and Goddess Mahisasuramardini, an avatar of Goddess Durga. The best time to visit temple is from the month of March to June as the climate is so pleasant during this duration.
The temple has a great archaeological and historical value and is taken care by Archeological Survey of India. Millions of hindus visit the temple each year, especially during Navratri.
Ask a Question
Traveller Tales from Mcleodganj
20 August 2018
My trip to triund was super. The guide Mukesh was friendly and fun company. Guided very well. Bit disappointed that I couldn't stay there due to bad weather but the accommodation provided to me was si...
11 October 2019
This was my first trek and I'm so glad I opt it. In triund is all the nature you can experience at once. The cold breeze, the mountains, the water, the trees, the rocks (they are real beauty of the tre...
21 April 2019
"It was a 7hrs trek uphill but It'll be totally worth once you reach the top.. it was a great experience"
06 April 2019
This was our first and wonderful trekking experience. We trekked through steep terrains and Bhagsu waterfall. We got the breathtaking view of the Dhauladhar ranges and Kangra valley. A must go for ever...
07 October 2019
"it was amazing and almost the same rates that the local guides would provide. only few services provide camping at triund now. it's one of them"
18 June 2019
"Triund was our first magical trek experience! It was so amazing we loved every bit of it. Our guide(Mansingh) was so helpful and kind. Thank you thrillophilia!"
27 April 2019
WE booked the package 24 hrs prior to our trek. Thrillophilia is very supportive and provided my group with all the basic information on whats app before our arrival. On our arrival to base camp, we we...
25 October 2018
It was an amazing experience, as i was so excited already for this trek and the beauty of this place did not disappointed me. It was too cold during the night, i could not sleep as sleeping bags was no...
10 June 2018
It was a wonderful experience to gaze lovingly the serenic godly mountains at Triund. The huge divine hills do not fail to mesmerise oneself. Do not miss to meditate at the top of hill. Just close your...
More Things to do in Mcleodganj
Top Mcleodganj Attractions
Most Popular Places Around Mcleodganj
Listings in Mcleodganj
What You Should Know More About Mcleodganj
With so many interesting tourist places in Mcleodganj, it is also popular for being the home to the famous Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama. Click here to know more
1. Triund - 7 km from Mcleodganj
2. Kareri Lake - 50 Kms from Mcleodganj3.
3. Dharamkot - 8 Kms from Mcleodganj
4. Indrahar Pass - 9 Kms from Mcleodganj
5. Minkiani Pass - 12 Kms from Mcleodganj
Exploring the umpteen numbers of monasteries in town to taking an exciting trek from here, there are plenty of things to do in Mcleodganj to create an unforgettable memory.
1. The Kangra Valley Trek
2. Shop at The Local markets
3. Head Out to Dal Lake
4. Camping in Triund
5. Visit Namgyal Monastery
6. Go to Bhagsu Falls
There are excellent Mcleodganj resorts spread across Mcleodganj popular for their unique location of being connected to both nature and all major attractions in the area.
1. Fortune Park Moksha Resort - 6500 INR onwards.
2. Himgiri Resorts - 1750 INR onwards.
3. Great Himalayan Adventure Resort - 3,000 INR onwards.
4. Nishaad Resort - 2000 INR onwards
5. V.Resorts Royal Palace - 2167 INR onwards
Do not drink on the streets or public places. Avoid drinking during treks, camping, and visiting holy places.
1. Monasteries and temples: The Kalachakra Temple is one of the important temples in this town. It is built based on the Tibetan religious beliefs and culture. The Vankhandi Temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman and has beautiful landscapes surrounding it.
The rock formations at the Trilokpur Cave Temple were once said to be gold. According to the legend, Lord Shiva meditated here and the rocks were turned into gold. But when a greedy shepherd was trying to steal the rocks of its gold, seeing this, Lord Shiva turned them back to rocks again.
The Tsuglagkhang Temple is the abode of Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama. You can experience peaceful and beautiful Tibetan culture from the paintings and carvings inside the monasteries and temple. The Namgyal monastery in McLeodhanj is a personal monastery of Dalai Lama. It has a college that teaches philosophical and religious courses of Tibet and Buddhist religion.
2. Trekking and outdoor activities: You can trek at Triund, which has been a popular site for most of the adventure lovers. You can camp, hike, and trek on this site. You can also trek at the Dhauladhar Range in the Hanuman ka tibba location. This is a trekking trail 10 kilometers away from the hill station where you can get a panoramic view of the Kangra valley. You can also take walking trails in Dharamshala.
3. Museums, art galleries, and festivals: You can visit the Tibet Museum, the Peak Art Gallery, and Naam Art Gallery as they have paintings and exhibitions in acrylics and watercolors. The music and cultural festivals in McLeodganj are vibrant and colorful. Do not miss this cultural revelry and performance arts accompanied by Tibetan music.
4. Stargazing, outdoor activities, and excursions: When camping in the view of the snow clad mountains, trekkers do not miss the beautiful site of the clear sky beamed with gazillion stars. You can sleep on the fresh grass and view this beautiful sight as you take to trekking or camping.
Dharamkot, near this hill station, is a mini excursion that you can take for sightseeing. You can boat on the Dal Lake that is surrounded by Deodar trees and small hills. This is one of the scenic lakes in McLeodganj. Also, do not miss the Bhagsu Falls close to the most revered Bhagsu Nath temple.
Outdoor activities, shopping, and eating out: There are many places in McLeodganj where you can shop for the Tibetan carpets, rugs, souvenirs, and sculptures. You can also trek in the Kangra Valley, and eat out in cafes, bars, and restaurants spread across the hill station.
Yoga, spa, and cooking classes: For spirituality and wellness seekers, there are umpteen options to learn yoga at the yoga centers. You can also take cooking classes to learn the Tibetan cooking, and take a massage in any of the spas in McLeodganj.
- You can reach this hill station by rail or bus. You can fly to the Gaggal Airport in the Kangra district and take a taxi from there to reach McLeodganj that is 20 kilometers from the airport. You can take a direct bus from Delhi to Dharamshala or McLeodganj.
- There are many budget lodges and hotels where you can stay at this hill station.
- Locals have no problem with tourists wearing their choice of clothes, as long as they are not shabby.
- Locals encourage not supporting beggars on the street as they are already sheltered by a local organization.
- Do not honk when driving around the hill station. Locals are peace loving and do not appreciate noise of any kind.
- Do not leave your cash and valuables in the hotel rooms.
- Also, observe the sensitivities with regard to religion, political, cultural, and social issues of the region, and do not discuss it with anyone.
- Carry a mineral water, and avoid tap water. Eat food that is only well cooked.
- Food or drinks offered by locals in trains or buses might have sleeping pills in them. Do not accept them.
- Do not tip too much at any hotels, else, you will be gathered by many hawkers asking for tips.
- If you are a male introduced to a lady, wait till you are offered a handshake.
- A few shops have signs that say, ‘fixed price.’ Do not bargain at such shops. You can bargain only on the street shops.
- Do not take photographs of the locals without their permission.
- Carry all the camping and trekking gear, and get warm clothes, socks, and shoes.
- Do not buy any antiques that are more than a 100-year-old, as it is considered an offense.
- There are no partying hangouts in McLeodganj, and your scope for having nightlife is zilch. You can find many decent bars and restaurants that offer alcohol.