Adventure Activities in McleodganjIf you want to enjoy the true essence of this charming city, then you will have to take part in the adventure activities in Mcleodganj. They can help you to bring out the braver persona of yours and make the days of your vacations even more memorable. One of the best or, rather, the must-do thing in Mcleodganj is, of course, trekking through the mountains and exploring their secrets. There are so many hiking trails, such as Triund and Bhagsu, available in the town that can both satiate your craving for adventure and help you to see the charming side of nature.
Besides, indulging in the adventure sports in Mcleodganj, you can take part in various other offbeat activities as well. For example, you can go fishing in Dal or Kareri lake, which are located only a few miles from the town, to spend some relaxing and refreshing moments all alone.
However, if you want to spend your vacation only with your travel companions, then you can also opt for night camping in Kangra Valley or Palampur to create some interesting memories with them. As you can see, there are so many ways to savour the essence of Mcleodganj adventure activities and make some once-in-a-lifetime memories.
People Also Ask About Adventure in Mcleodganj
What are the best adventure things to do in Mcleodganj?
1. Trekking: The town of Mcleodganj is a heaven for the adventure junkies, and if you are trekking aficionado, then this place would be perfect for you to test your skills. It is widely known as one of the best adventure activities in Mcleodganj and can be best enjoyed in summer.
During the months of this season, the risk of avalanches gets reduced by quite a mile, which makes the trekking activities a lot safer than usual. Besides, during this season, you will also get to see a lot of unknown flowers, which increases the vibrancy of the places even more with the bright colors. The terrains of trek trails of Mcleodganj, such as Triund or Kareri Lake, are quite flat and comparatively less difficult.
Location: Kareri Lake, Triund, Bhagsu Nag, etc.
Price: 900 INR – 3500 INR.
Timing: Usually starts around 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM and lasts for around six to seven hours depending on the location and distance.
2. Paragliding: Do you like the idea of soaring through the milky clouds and savoring the beauty of Mcleodganj from a bird’s eye view? Then, you should definitely make sure to include paragliding on the top of your bucket list of adventure sports in Mcleodganj. To indulge in this activity, you will be attached to a glider, which will help you to fly across the sky.
Location: Bir-Billing, Mahal Taru.
Price: 1600 INR to 2500 INR.
Timing: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
3. Flying Fox: The Flying Fox is one of those popular adventure activities in Mcleodganj, which is mostly loved by the utmost daredevils. To perform this sport, you will be connected with a strong cable attached to your waist and have to reach the other end of the rope with its help. However, as the activity is usually conducted quite higher from the ground, make sure to hold the cable tightly to avoid mis balancing issues.
Timing: 6:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
4. Rock Climbing: Rock Climbing is yet another of the adventure sports in Mcleodganj that is mainly famous among the adventure junkies. While performing this sport, you will have to climb uneven rocky surfaces with the help of your bare hands and legs. However, there will be a sturdy rope attached to your waist, in case you lose your balance and fall from the rock.
Location: Nayagroeon region.
Price: 800 INR (approximately).
Timing: 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
5. Rappelling: Known as one of the safest Mcleodganj adventure activities, Rappelling generally involves the act of climbing down from a rocky structure. However, there is no need to fear, as you will be harnessed with high-end protective gear and a sturdy rope, which will help you to get down quickly.
Price: 450 INR (depends on the agency that you have opted for).
Timing: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
6. Ziplining: Like Flying Fox, ziplining, involves the act of going from one end of the rope to another through a rope-cable system. Your waist will be connected to the cable and you will be driven from one end to another with the gravity-driven force. Unlike how it sounds, the activity is actually quite daring and can help you to enjoy the true charm of adventure in Mcleodganj.
Location: Bhagsu Road.
Price: 500 INR.
Timing: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
7. Swimming: As a hill station, the town of Mcleodganj is blessed with an abundance of lakes, such as Dal Lake, Seruvisar Lake, Kareri Lake, etc, and rivers. So, if you are tired of the typical adventure activities in Mcleodganj, then you can also swim in these water bodies.
However, make sure not to indulge in this activity in winter, as during those months, the weather of the city stays quite cold and chilly.
Location: Any of the lakes of Mcleodganj.
What are the offbeat things to do in Mcleodganj?
1. Camping During the Nighttime: If you have become tired of the adventure activities in Mcleodganj and want to do something offbeat, then going on camping with your friends can be perfect for you.
There are several places in Mcleodganj, such as Triund, Kangra Valley, etc, that can help you to have a grand camping experience. To make your night even more fun and enjoyable, you and your bosoms can also take a nighttime stroll around the premise or play some quirky games for strengthening your bond.
2. Watching Sunset: As a scenic hill station, the town of Mcleodganj comes with a lot of vantage points, such as Naddi Viewpoint and sunset point, from where you can savor the unnatural beauty of the sun setting down in between the sparkling mountains.
3. Exploring Dharamkot Village: Filled with uncanny and otherworldly vibes, the Dharamkot Village of Mcleodganj can be an excellent retreat for the nature lovers. Moreover, the village also has several trekking sites that can quench your thirst for adventure and help you to spend some quality time with your travel partners.
4. Visiting Kangra Fort: Widely known as one of the oldest forts in the world, the Kangra Fort exhibits an exotic amalgamation of Indian culture and unique architecture. Dripping with grandeur and lushness, the interior halls of the architectural piece are something that you definitely should not miss.
Which are the famous water sports in Mcleodganj?
1. Boat Riding: When talking about the best water-related Mcleodganj adventure activities, the first name that comes to the mind is boat riding. In this activity, you will be provided with a small boat, which you have to paddle through the water to explore the surroundings of the water body.
The scenic Dal Lake is probably the best place to enjoy this activity, however, if you want to avoid crowds, then Seruvalsar Lake can also be an excellent option for you.
2. Fishing: If you want to spend some time relaxing and chilling far away from the boisterousness of the town, then you can also go fishing in the lakes of the town. It will help you to spend some time with yourself, and, if you are lucky, then you might also be able to catch some tasty fishes.
3. River Rafting: If you want to make your holidays more adventurous and daring, you should definitely opt for the famous river rafting activities. In this sport, you will be provided with a raft, or a boat to be precise, which will help you to go through the go through the bouncy waves of the rivers.
If you do want to enjoy the essence of river rafting in Mcleodganj, then make sure to visit either the Beas or the Chamba River.
What are the best adventure treks in Mcleodganj?
Here are some places where you can enjoy one of the most popular adventure activities in Mcleodganj, which is otherwise known as trekking -
1. Triund Trek: Snuggled exquisitely at the heart of the Dhauladhar range, the Triund base camp offers a beautiful view of the mesmerizing mountains as well as the Kangra valley. It is one of the easiest treks in the Mcleodganj and lasts for around 45 minutes if you walk at a moderate speed.
2. Guna Devi Trek: Like Triund, the Guna Devi Trek is also quite easy, as you would have to cover around three to four km distance to complete your hike. Unlike the other hiking trails of the town, the surface of this trail is pretty much simple and even. So, even if you are a beginner, you will still be able to finish the whole trek within five to six hours while fully savoring the captivating view of the surroundings.
3. Indrahar Pass Trek: The base camp of Indehar Pass is located almost around 12km from the starting point, so it might take you quite some time to complete the trek. However, the enthralling view of natural scenery, which you will encounter during hiking, is surely both worth the time and labor.
4. Bhagsu Trek: Bhagsu Trek is actually one of the shortest trekking sites of the town, however, it is still quite refreshing and charming. After completing your hiking activity, you will get the chance of watching two of the most popular attractions of Mcleodganj, which are – Bhagsu Waterfalls and Bhagsunag Temple.
5. Kareri Trek: If you want to savor the unnatural beauty of the Kareri River, then make sure to take a part in the Kareri Trek. However, to reach your destination, you would have to cover around 20km of distance, which might be a little bit difficult for the beginners.
What are the best camping sites in Mcleodganj?
1. Kangra Valley: Located in the western part of the Himalayas, the Kangra Valley looks like a piece of heaven when the first ray of sunlight falls on its surroundings. The atmosphere of the valley, especially during midnight, becomes very calm and serene, which is perfect for having a good camping experience.
2. Triund: Also identified as the Crown Jewel of the mountain range of Dhauladhar, the Triund trek is highly popular among the tourists because of its dense forests of Pine and Deodar trees. Furthermore, there are also a few beautiful campsites available in this place, which offers various facilities like wooden washrooms, grills or fire rings, small picnic tables, etc.
3. Palampur: Situated around 40km from the town of Mcleodganj, the Palampur peak is yet another amazing place to have a once-in-a-lifetime camping experience. Besides helping you with cooking your foods in the grills, the campsites of the places also gives you the rare chance of watching the astounding view of the sunrise.
4. Indrahar Pass: Last but definitely not least, the Indrahar Pass of Dhauladhar range also has some beautiful camping places and offers an exquisite view of the mesmerizing mountains. The camping places of this location also offer various must-have amenities like a campfire place, a pit toilet, and shower facilities as well.
What is the best time to visit Mcleodganj for adventure activities?In the season of summer (from March to June), the atmosphere of Mcleodganj stays quite mild as well as completely rain-free.
So, during this time, you can indulge in almost all the adventure activities in Mcleodganj, such as paragliding, hiking, and many more.
What is the best time for paragliding in Mcleodganj?The best time to enjoy Paragliding in Mcleodganj is the month of October or the early days of the winter season.
During this time, the sky stays very clear and the humidity level also gets reduced quite a bit, which is perfect for paragliding and a few other Mcleodganj adventure activities.
Is Mcleodganj safe for adventure sports?Yes, it is completely safe to take part in the adventure sports in Mcleodganj, as the organizers of these events usually take a lot of safety measures.
Before starting the activity, they will equip you with almost all the proper gears and protective clothing items, so that you do not get hurt in any way.
Why is Mcleodganj famous?The quaint town of Mcleodganj is mainly famous for housing a plethora of gorgeous lakes (Dal), waterfalls (Bhagsunag Falls), and its mountainous surroundings.
Moreover, there are several museums (The Tibet Museum), monasteries (Nechung), temples (Kalachakra), Tibetan houses also available in the town, which can help you to know about the place’s history from a broader perspective.
Is there bungee jumping in Dharamshala?Bungee Jumping is not available in Dharamshala.
Also, click here to know more about best trekking tours in McLeodganj!
- New Delhi
The church of St. John in the wilderness is an old Anglican church situated in the beautiful valley of McLeodganj, which is at a distance of about 8 kilometres from Dharamshala. The church was built in the year 1852. It was dedicated to John the Baptist and also one of the viceroys of India, Lord Elgin was buried here in 1863. With its neo-gothic architecture, the church, known for its stunning design is set amidst deodar forests and is full of memorial stones of the British soldiers who were posted here.Nestled in the beautiful picturesque location, St. John Wilderness Church with its quiet and serene surroundings will definitely give you a sense of peace and calm. On the outside, it may look like an old and abandoned structure but the insides are still very well maintained and quite active. The church is known to attract a lot of tourists and visitors on almost all days and especially on Sundays. On the outside, the Belgian stained glass windows are the main attractions of the church while on the inside, the polished wood of the altar railing and old brass oil lamps which are now converted into electric light holders, make it very appealing.Along the walking path in the church, the holy cross symbols are artistically made with colourful stones. The church is usually under close watch by security guards to make sure no damage is caused by tourists and visitors.
Located in Dharamshala, the spiritual dwelling of a huge number of Tibetan monks have come and carved out the heavenly Namgyal Monastery in Himachal. This place was originally a monastery from the palace of Lhasa, which found its new incarnation in Dharamshala. The monastery is known to perform all important Tibetan ceremonies and host Tibetan monks from around the world.It accommodates around 200 monks who are involved in preserving the rare skills, rituals, tantric practices, Buddhist scriptures and culture which they brought from Tibet. The new version of this monastery is also known as Namgyal Tantric College. Known as “the Dalai Lama Temple”, the monastery now acts as a personal monastery for the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso. This beautiful monastery built in a calm scenic hilltop in McLeod Ganj has grown in reputation as a tourist hotspot of Dharamshala. Apart from serving as a private place of worship for the Dalai Lama, the serene ambience of the place and the rich history produce a mesmerizing effect on the visitors from around the world. Namgyal had already earned its fame in Lhasa and since its restoration in India, the monastery has spread its wings across the Atlantic. In 1992 the Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist Studies was built in New York, Ithaca, which is directly under the influence of the Namgyal Monastery of Dharamshala.
Chamunda Devi Temple, or the 'Chamunda Nandikeshwar Dham,' is one of the most prestigious and renowned holy shrines of the Hindus. It was built during the reigns of Maharaja Umed Singh and is dedicated to Goddess Kali. Chamunda Devi Temple is also known as the abode of Lord Shiva and Mata Shakti and presents the impressive architecture of the old era.The temple is located on the banks of Banganga (Baner) River in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh and is only 10 km from the well-known Palampur city. It is one of the most visited places in Chamba and is full of devotees throughout the year. But, Navratri season is the most bustling time as thousands of devotees come to get the blessings of Chamunda Devi. This 16th-century temple is the unique masterpiece of ancient times and is full of floral and animal carvings on silver sheets. It was built using only wood and gabled roofs. It has a cave-like scoop with structures (Lingam) representing Nandikeshwar (Shiva) and a running water pool with the statues of Lord Shiva and Saraswati at the backside of the temple. Not only this, but the temple complex also houses a handicraft center, which allows visitors to explore the vibrant culture and art scene of the Kangra district through the local artifacts. Visitors can take back souvenirs from a range of items, including wood carvings, wooden toys, handkerchiefs, honey, black pottery, chappals, Kangra tea, and world-famous Kangra paintings, etc. This is the place where radiance glorifies, making everything tranquil and shower fervor.