With beautiful emerald green valleys and the rejuvenating stir of the mountain air, trekking in Mcleodganj is one of the most reverberating adventure activities to indulge in. Leave home to earn a happy and content state of mind at the lush grasslands of this hilly paradise.
The rugged terrain is a complement to Mcleodganj Trekking trails, which are present in vast numbers. With a backdrop of enthralling scenes, you can embark upon the most scintillating treks here such as the Triund, known for its sunset, oak trees, and rhododendron forests. Similarly, the Kaveri lake trail is a high-altitude lake, surrounded by breathtaking views, and the Minkiani pass, which is a rough trail, meant for excursion by adventure enthusiasts. The subtropical climate of Mcleodganj is most ideal to visit during the months of April to June.
The treks near McLeodganj are most challenging in terms of the terrain through which they lead the visitors. It is important to prepare yourself physically before visiting the hilly town to avoid exerting your body to an extreme level. Yet, some of the trails such as the Indrahar pass and Bir Billing also offer a comfortable way to explore this natural haven.
People Also Ask About Trekking in Mcleodganj
What are the best places for trekking in Mcleodganj?
Trekking in Mcleodganj is a thrilling and enriching experience. Lucky for us, the destination offers many opportunities and sites for trekking. Here are some of the best places for Mcleodganj trekking.
1. Triund Top Trek - Located at a height of 9350 feet, Triund Top Trek is probably one of the most scenic treks of Himachal Pradesh. This trek usually starts around noon, which enables trekkers to experience the beautiful sunset from the top of the hill.
The scenic trail of this Mcleodganj trek takes you through deciduous and oak forests, giving you a glimpse into the lush vegetation too. This makes it perfect for every nature lover.
2. Kareri Lake Trek - One of the most panoramic and exhilarating sites for a Mcleodganj trek, Kareri Lake Trek is definitely a must-visit for nature lovers and people looking for some serene adventure. The view that reaching the top of the trek offers, feels otherworldly and is a sure-fire soul-soother.
The crystalline lake makes for a rewarding experience that one receives after they complete the trek. The trek starts from Rioti village and is a 4 km trail, which includes cross rocky grasslands, subtropical forests, and pine shrubs. The way of the trek also has to offer some stunning sights.
3. Indrahar Pass - This trail stretches up to 6-12 km depending on where you start from. It’s definitely one of the most difficult Mcleodganj treks but absolutely worth it. You have to walk through the rocky terrain of the Lahesh Caves. This can be challenging but definitely reaps ideal rewards at the end of it.
4. Minkiani Pass - Located at a height of 14000 feet, this trek is definitely not for the beginners. You may have to trek for a few days to reach the Minkiani Pass and the view from the top is totally breath-taking. You have to start from Triund to Lahesh Caves, Kuwarsi Village, and Drakund. Once you’re at the top, bask in the good views of the Brammah Peaks and Sickle Moon.
5. Bir Billing - If you want to experience Mcleodganj in its finest, you have to head to Bir Billing for paragliding. It is Asia’s highest paragliding spot and very well sought after by tourists who visit Mcleodganj. After trekking up to 8000 feet, you can soar the skies and watch the Dhauladhar ranges underneath you.
When is the best time to visit McLeod Ganj for trekking?
You will find lots of snow during the pre-monsoon season, i.e. between the months of March and June. However, as the monsoon arrives, the snow begins to melt and almost disappears during the post-monsoon months.
The best time to visit is from the end of February to March if you love snow. The lake is frozen at this time. And for those who love lush greenery, the best time to visit is from May till September.
What are some of the difficult treks in Mcleodganj?1. Indrahar Pass Trek: Making its way across several steep slopes, Indrahar Pass is surely made for the most adventurous hearts. The challenging terrain by the Lahesh Caves adds to the thrill of this trek.2. Minkiani Pass: Located at a height of about 14,000 feet above sea level, the trek to Minkiani Pass is definitely not for the faint-hearted. Although the trail is sufficiently challenging, the breathtaking view from the summit point makes it worth it.3. Kareri Lake: One of the most scenic treks in Mcleodganj, the Kareri Lake trek offers a challenging ascent to the crystalline lake in the heart of the Himalayas.4. Pin Parvati Lake: Hanging precariously above the Parvati river, this trek is built for seasoned trekkers only. However, with its floral valleys and scenic Buddhist villages, the trail is a treat to the senses.
What are some of the best Mcleodganj trekking trips in winter?1. Triund Trek: A popular winter trek in Mcleodganj, the Triund Hill Trek is of moderate difficulty. The first half of the trek is fairly easy, while the ending faces a steep vertical climb. The trail takes you through stunning snow-clad ranges and is a good choice for beginners.2. Dhauladhar Winter Trek: Making its way across tribal villages and glaciers, the Dhauladhar Winter trek offers some of the most scenic sights in the heart of the mountains. The trek is fairly easy to moderate and can be attempted by experts as well as beginners.3. Indrahar Pass Trek: Starting from Mcleodganj, the Indrahar Pass Trek passes through the Lahesh Caves, Triund, Ilaqa Pass, and onwards to Indrahar. This offbeat trek uses a trail traditionally used by shepherds to cut their way across the mountains.4. Snowline Trek: A fairly easy trek, the Snowline Trek offers stunning vantage of the snow-clad mountains and takes its trekkers through thick forests of pine and rhododendrons.