About Dona Paula Beach
Dona Paula beach is located at a distance of 7 km from Panjim and popularly called the lovers’ paradise in Goa. The name of the beach has been kept after the then Viceroy’s daughter Dona Paula de Menezes who was believed to be madly in love with a fisherman. Her insane love for the fisherman drove her to jump off the cliff when the Viceroy refused to strike a marriage alliance between the two.
Every year thousands of tourists come here to get a share of their enjoyment and the story attached to it also makes it an interesting place to visit. Cuddled in the southern portion of the peninsula, the beach also has its significance because this is where two prominent rivers Zuari and Mandovi meets the Arabian Sea. The beach offers exceptional views of the palm trees and Mormugao Harbor. The view of the mound promises a serene relaxation.
The elegant coastline presents a silvery burnish especially when the sun begins to set. Dona Paula also has some attractive goodies on display in the bustling marketplace outside the beach. You will get a host of charming products like straw hats, feni, hair accessories and much more. The prime attraction of the beach is the pumping water sport adventure activities and the wonderful sea-food joints situated near the beach.So if you choose to lounge in the sun or decide to try your hand with the sports, you are sure to have a wonderful time here.
How to Reach Dona Paula Beach
- How to Reach Dona Paula Beach from Panjim
Dona Paula Beach is not very far from Panjim. The beach is located at a mere 6 km away from the Panjim bus stand. You can take a cab or a taxi or even get on a public transport bus. It will take a close to 15 minutes to reach the beach including light traffic on your way.
- How to Reach Dona Paula Beach from Goa International Airport
Goa International Airport is close to 38 km from the beach. The airport is well-connected with all the major cities in India. From the airport, you can hire a cab or take the local bus which will take you to the spot in about an hour.
Best Time to Visit Dona Paula Beach
The climate is moist throughout the year but it is relatively pleasant in the months between November and February. June and September should be avoided because it rains during this period. Temperature varies but the changes are very minute.
January is the coolest month and May is the hottest month with average temperatures around 25 degrees and 30 degrees respectively. Due to propinquity to the sea, the humidity is extremely high in the summer months which goes up to 60%.
What Not to Miss at Dona Paula Beach
Places to visit around Dona Paula Beach
The beach has many beautiful places that are must-visits. We have listed some places which might interest you when you are here.
1. National Oceanography Institute – The one of a kind institute is the hub spot for marine biology and coastal oceanography. Within the institute, the two spots which are the best are the Marine Biology Museum and Taxonomy Reference Center.
2. Cabo Raj Niwas – Located very close to Dona Paula Beach, the Raj Niwas has the tomb of Dona Paula de Menezes inside the chapel there. It also offers excellent views of the nearby coastline and the enigmatic Aguada Fort.
3. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary – Primarily a Mangrove Forest, this bird sanctuary has rare bird species for avid bird watchers. Every year diverse and rare migratory birds visit the sanctuary giving a rare chance to ardent bird watchers to photograph them.
4. Reis Magos Church – Located at a distance of just 10 km from the beach, Magos church is one of the oldest churches in Goa. It is dedicated to the three wise men of the east that got gifts for Baby Jesus. Remnants of the Cabo De Rama Fort – The ruins of the fort present an attractive sight that has to be visited without fail. The fort also has a 180-year-old cemetery which also has a tomb constructed in the memory of Dona Paula de Menezes.
Water sports in Dona Paula Beach
The beach has much to offer in terms of activities that people can actively engage in. In the peak season, the demand for water sport activities shoots up and so does the enthusiasm level. The various water sports activities offered at Dona Paula Beach are:
1. Water Scooter ride: Suitable for people of all ages, the water scooters here are well-maintained. Based on the need and confidence level of the rider, the guide also accompanies him/her. For children, it is better that an adult also ventures on the ride.
2. Windsurfing: Windsurfing is challenging but once you embark on it, you will want to go back and do it all over again. Windsurfing is quite popular with tourists and one of the most preferred sporting goings-on
3. Parasailing: Parasailing is a common water sport activity that is offered in all major beaches of Goa. This is by far the most popular activity and is in much demand, especially during peak seasons.
4. Water Skiing: It requires a lot of guts and confidence to embark on water skiing. The guide offers great support and guidance so you can surely keep your fear aside and enjoy it.
5. Kayaking and Yachting: Not very much in demand but Kayaking surely has some takers. For those who want to relax in the deep blue sea and forget all the woes, Kayaking and yachting is surely a great option.
Other Essential Information About Dona Paula Beach
Nightlife at Dona Paula Beach
For a hippie night put together with lip-smacking food, intoxicating wine, and hip-shaking numbers, Dona Paula beach nights are entertaining and addictive. You will want to come back here every night and sink in the night aura of the beach. There are many popular bars and pubs where you can dance all night and enjoy till the wee hours.
1. Bar Latino: This is one of the oldest places here and is known for its ambiance and great-tasting food. If you love the upbeat nightlife of Goa, then this place surely defines it. The lounge-cum bar is the perfect place for everyone to unwind and distress.
2. Lobby Bar: This is one of the most popular places to hang out at night. Well-suited for youngsters and couples, the bar is lively and always bustling with activity. You can hit the dance floor and have a quiet drink in the comfortable lounge and also eat from the well-crafted menu.
3. Bar Alfonso: Another popular hangout for travelers, the Bar Alfonso has a beautiful and comfortable feel to it. The music is invigorating and food is delectable here. Apart from these 3 prominent bars and pubs, there are some other places where the traveler can visit like Pescador, Harbour, Menino's Bar and restaurant and the Pooja Bar.
Places to eat at Dona Paula Beach
Dona Paula beach has many places near it where travelers can enjoy good food and spend a comforting time with their family and friends. We bring to you a list of the best places where you can grab your favorite meal at reasonable rates.
1. Karan’s restaurant and bar: When you sit here, you will be mesmerized by the views of the sea and the beach. The food, especially chicken dishes, are the most demanded and popular among all. The place has a slightly disheveled look but great food and wine compensate for it. You will enjoy the light music playing in the background, with the cool breeze and the coastline in this very popular place.
2. Menino’s Sea View Restaurant and Bar: The place has many cuisines to offer and is located at the Dona Paula Jetty. The prices are affordable and the staff is very friendly. With great service, one can have an enjoyable time here.
3. Captain 'n' Joe Bar: Well-lit, well-done interiors, and great food define this unique place. The restaurant serves many cuisines like America, British, Indian and Chinese. This place gives you a fantastic view of the pool and garden and is a great place to unwind.
4. Delhi Darbar Mughlai Restaurant & Bar: If you love the old Indian and Mughlai food, then Delhi Durbar serves authentic delicacies at inexpensive rates. Vegan meals are also available here and foreigners often visit this place to get the flavor of Indian food.
Shopping at Dona Paula Beach
For more recreation, you can go on a shopping spree near Dona Paula. Several shops deal with artifacts, trinkets, souvenirs, books and clothes, all at rates which you can afford. On the beach also many stalls sell straw hats, Goan liquor like feni and port wine.
1. Govindam Goan cashews: They sell top-notch Goan cashews at rates which are affordable and quality which is superlative.
2. Goan Boutique: A place where women are set to enjoy and which is loaded with colorful bags, accessories, clothes and much more. You will also find budget swim wears and footwear especially for the kids.
3. Apna Bazaar: A mini-mall which has a little of everything. It has ample parking space and also enjoys good footfalls as visitors are happy to get everything under one roof. Dona Paula beach shopping is fun and very good for the little knick-knacks that you would love owning. Open vendors also sell accessories scarves, goggles and a lot more. The icing on the cake is that you can negotiate here well and get good deals for all.
Places to Stay near Dona Paula Beach
Based on your needs and budget, accommodations near Dona Paula are abundant and offer great services complemented with a wonderful experience.
1. The Fern Residency: This is an appealing 26 room boutique hotel located only a few meters from the beach. The hotel has a contemporary luxury feel to it and is suitable for both business and leisure travelers. The chic interiors and well-trained staff with great food make this place worth going to. The hotel is located very close not just to the beach but also to many central attractions which makes it a hot property.
2. Cidade de Goa: Luxury combined with comfort is the motto of the Grand Hotel. The rooms are well-designed and spacious and have all the luxurious comforts you need. The hotel also has an outdoor pool with Jacuzzi and free Wi-Fi for the guests. The multi-cuisine restaurant here is famous for French and European cuisine.
3. Miramar Residency: This is a humble abode for those who want comfort and peace. There are 21 rooms here with an in-house restaurant that serves home-like meals. The banquet hall is also available for various events and gatherings.
4. The Hawaii Comfort: The two-storied Hawaii Comfort hotel provides comfort and relaxation, which is true to its name. There are 20 rooms, all equipped with AC, LCDs, and en-suite toilets. A multi-cuisine restaurant is also a part of this property. Other facilities offered here are safety lockers, free parking space and complimentary breakfast for all guests. The hotel is accessible from the beach as well as the major central attractions of the Dona Paula town.
5. Varanda Do Mar: This beautiful 4-star property is the perfect abode for luxury and business travelers. The Boutique Hotel offers mesmerizing views of the beach and its coastline. Every room is stylishly constructed with modern amenities and gadgets installed as well as a private balcony attached. The in-house restaurant is famous for Goan delicacies and set in a luxuriously built set-up.
Things to Carry at Dona Paula Beach
Whenever you take any beach holiday, make sure you come prepared to make it the most memorable one for you. We suggest a few things that you should carry with you while you are here.
1. Sunscreen – To save yourself from the scorching heat
2. Sunglasses – It will not just add to your beach style but will also give you relief from the direct rays of the Sun
3. Flip Flops – Pack your backpack with colorful flip flops which is a must if you want to walk comfortably on the beach.
4. Water – Though there are many places you can purchase water from, but having your bottle will help you keep hydrated.
5. Moisturizer – A necessity for any weather.
6. Camera – To make your eternalize your memories.
7. Cotton clothes – The less it is, the better- wear comfortable clothes so that you can feel comfortable in the humidity.
8. Swimming costume – An absolute need to welcome the waves.
Shacks at Dona Paula Beach
Goa Beaches are famous for their shacks. Most of the beaches like Dona Paula have shacks that offer good food, beer, and music. The shacks given below are some of the best ones at the Dona Paula beach.
1. Harbour Grill: If you are in a mood to enjoy some Goan indulgence then Harbour grill sure is the answer to that. The refreshing sight of the beach and the soothing sound of the waves will surely make your dinner enjoyable. This shack is also perfect for a romantic date with your special someone.
2. Martin’s beach corner: The splendid location and lovely ambiance sum up the experience at Martin's beach corner. It is a cozy place with lovely music and delicious food. This place has become very famous among youth and one of the best shacks here.
3. Sea View: For all your sea-food cravings, Sea View has the best lobsters you can find in Dona Paula. The shack promises not just great seafood but also a great location and good staff making your experience here memorable.
Medical Facilities near Dona Paula Beach
Dona Paula beach and the town has good medical facilities in its vicinity. The Manipal group of hospitals is considered to be the biggest hospital in the town of Dona Paula. Apart from multi-specialty hospitals, many small clinics are open throughout the day. The government health center also is close to the beach and easily accessible. Pharmacies are available throughout and most of the important medicines are available there.
Travelers' Tip before visiting Dona Paula Beach
To enjoy and make the most of your time at any place, one must follow all the tips that we are sharing so that your journey is without any hassles-
1. Always have a backpack with you when you are at the beach.
2. Ensure that you have a separate bag to put all your trash because this will help the beach keep clean and hygienic.
3. A bag for wet clothes seems reasonable because you might not want to get your belongings wet.
4. Watch the weather before planning on taking the water adventure trips.
5. Always carry extra water to keep yourself hydrated.
6. Do your homework before coming to the beach about water sports and other activities you can do here.