Known as the” cutest little hill station of India”, the Matheran hill station is the best place to enjoy the sunset and sunrise view along with some mind blowing sceneries to keep you fresh and up front. This extraordinary hill station offers the best tourist places in Matheran which are untouched and undisturbed by the rustling city life that surrounds the town. The place is actually located on the Western Ghats that ranges in an elevation of around 800 meter above the sea level. The place always has a pleasant weather to enjoy during any time of the year, but its beauty gets added up during the season of rain and thunderstorm.
Another thing about the beautiful hill station is that it is eco friendly and has no rush of cars and buses honking on the street. The major was taken by the government of Maharashtra in order to protect Matheran. The best thing about this place is that it is like a quiet and relaxing place with no buzzing of horns and pollution and along with that it contains some mesmerizing places and views of the extraordinary nature that will leave you bewitched of its beauty and make you feel relax and stress free.
Just not only trekker, Matheran is a treat for the photographers also to explore and capture the best of the beauty of the beautiful hill station. The beauty of Western Ghats, Matheran is the smallest hill station of India. Travellers and tourists who visit the place love exploring the place by walking on foot. By which it becomes more exciting to get lost in the scenic beauty of the town while finding your way. Plan your trip to Matheran and indulge yourself in various activities that Matheran provides like camping, trekking, rappelling etc.
Matheran town is the best option for a person who loves getting lost in the nature and also for those who wants to take a break from their busy city life. The tourist places in Matheran are absolutely breathtaking.
1. Dodhani Waterfalls- Located at the base of Matheran hills, Dodhani waterfalls is a place where you can take part in recreation water and adventure sports like waterfall rappelling. It will be a thrill worthy experience which you will remember all your life.
Location- Matheran, Maharashtra.
Fee: Starting from INR 1,550 per adult.
2. Olympia- It is a horse racecourse which attracts sports lovers from all around the world. While riding the horse, you will hear birds singing and you will find yourself deeply surrounded by nature.Location- Raigad District Matheran
Timings- 5 AM to 6 PM.
Planning a Honeymoon to Mahabaleshwar! Checkout Our Best Mahabaleshwar Honeymoon packages Now!
3. Louisa Point - This place is a haven for trekkers and photographers alike. It offers a breathtaking view of Prabal and Vishalgad fort and is the best place to witness the waterfalls, rocky mountains, lake gardens, and whatnot.
Location- Raigad District, Matheran (2.5 km from Matheran Railway Station).
4. Porcupine Point- Also known as the sunset point, it is the perfect location to witness the sunrise and sunset in all of Matheran amidst the beautiful nature. Also, this place is named porcupine point as it holds a strong resemblance to the shape of a bird called Porcupine.
Location- 2 km from Matheran Railway Station.
Planning a Vacation to Matheran! Checkout Our Best Selling Matheran Tour Packages Now!
5. Charlotte Lake- If you are traveling with your family or friends then this is the place to be at. Charlotte lake offers travelers to organize a picnic or camping and is an absolutely amazing location to relax, watch the sunset and observe various species of birds flying over the lake.
Location- 2 km from Matheran Railway Station.
6. One Tree Hill Point- A single tree is known to be standing at the top of the hill and thus, it is named one tree hill point. This place is appreciated by trekkers, nature lovers, and people who are looking for some time to relax away from the honking of cars and busy life.
Location- 3.5 km from Matheran Railway Station.
Planning A Trip To Panchgani ! Then You should Book Panchgani Tour Packages Now!
7. Chanderi Caves- For anyone who is an adventure enthusiast and is interested in exploring the history, Chanderi caves will prove to be the best location to visit in Matheran. From trekking your way to chanderi mountains to witness the most beautiful panoramic views, this trip will be worth it.
Location- Located on the way from Badlapur to Karjat. Nearest Railway station- Vangani and Badlapur.
8. Prabalgad fort and Irshalgad fort- Prabalgad fort and Irshalgad fort, both located in between Matheran and Panvel. Prabalgad is located 65 km away from Mumbai whereas Irshalgad is 70 km. Both the forts have proven to be amazing destinations for trekkers, nature enthusiasts, and history buffs. You will witness wildlife and rare flora and can spend some peaceful time in the lap of nature.
Location- Matheran, Maharashtra.
Planning a Honeymmon to Panchgani! Then You Should Checkout Panchgani Honeymoon Packages Now!
9. Paymaster Park- It is a historic park and a popular destination to set up a picnic. It is famous for its beautifully landscaped gardens, flower beds, and nicely arranged benches. It is also home to the figurines of Lieutenant Colonel Paymaster and S.L Panday. It is a nice location to bring your kids to have a fun day.
Location- Chinoy Road, Matheran.
10. Shivaji’s Ladder- Again a paradise for trekkers, Shivaji's ladder is an amazing trek and it is known that the Great Maratha ruler, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj used this pathway to reach Matheran for hunting and various other trips. If you love trekking and can't get enough of it, then you must definitely trek your way to the top or you can easily opt for a horse ride to witness the amazing view from the top.
Location- Matheran, Maharashtra.
1. Visit Pisharnath Mahadev Mandir- This temple is a tribute to Lord Shiva. It is located at an altitude of 2500 feet and attracts a huge number of travelers from across the world. Apart from visiting the temple, you will also witness the serene environment and peace around the place.
Location : Nerul, Matheran.
Timings : 6:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
2. Seek blessings at Ambarnath Shiv Temple- It is situated on the banks of the Waldhuni River and it is known to be built by King Mahamandaleshwar. It is beautifully carved out of stone and leaves a great impact of the mesmerizing architectural style used.
Location : Mumbai-Pune Railway Line at Akoli.
Timings : 6:00 AM - 7:00 PM.
3. Rock Climbing- This recreational activity can be found at places Alexander Point, Louisa Point, Prabal Fort, and Shivaji’s Ladder. You can also participate in an overnight climb via Garbett Point to Matheran if you are a thrill-seeker who likes to get challenged.
Fees- Starting from Rs. 500 per adult.
4. Trekking- This place is ideal for all the trekkers. Small to long treks can be found in a lot of places. Some of the treks are- Chanderi caves, Kalavantin pinnacle, Irshadgad fort, Louisa point, one tree hill point, Shivaji's ladder, Vikatgad peb fort and much more.
5. Rappelling- Rappelling is one of the thrill worthy activities that the travelers love to participate in. Providers use high-quality ropes and take all the safety measures to provide you with the experience of a lifetime.
6. Explore nature and watch Sunset- Explore the surroundings and pay a visit to all the amazing points and try to catch a glimpse of the sunset. The best place to do that would be at Porcupine point which is also known as the sunset point. Also, visit Rambagh point during the dusk to experience the amazing sky and nature in its prime time.
7. Board the Neral-Matheran Toy Train- Do you like to take a joy ride while enjoying the amazing view. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and covers approximately a distance of over 21 km and takes you through the lush green forests and hills of Matheran.
Timings- 3 Trains run at 9:20 AM, 2:45 PM, and 4:20.
-Deluxe: INR 1500 (A group of 5 people);
-First Class: INR 300 (For Adults) and INR 180 (For Children);
-Second Class: INR 45 (For Adults) and INR 30 (For Children).
8. Camping and picnic- Lastly, a picnic spot is always the best place to spend a fun day. Plan a full day out in Charlotte lake, pack your lunch, get your family and friends and have a relaxing day. You can also indulge in camping at charlotte lake to have one of the most amazing and peaceful times with water flowing beside you and nature everywhere around you. Camping can also be done at the following locations:
-Kalavantin Durg Valley Campsite,
-Sabharwal Farms Campsite,
-Pay Master Park,
-Attra Holidays And Camping Farms.
The town of Matheran is well connected by the city of Mumbai which makes it easy for the travellers and the visitors to reach the destination without any worries.
The town of Matheran is connected by the two distinct railway tracks, Mumbai railway and Pune station connected with the Neral Junction Station situated on the bottom of the hill.
If you want to reach the place by travelling by road then the distance from Mumbai to Matheran is 108 km, which will take you three to four hours to reach. From Pune, the distance to this place is about 18 km away if you take the Mumbai pune Express highway.
And if you prefer air journey more than the two most nearest airports are Mumbai airport and Pune airport which are 100 km and 110 km approximately away from the town of Matheran.
Planning A Holiday Trip! Then You Should Checkout Ganpatipule Tour Packages Now!
Some of the best places to stay in Matheran are:
1. Adamo the Resort- It is a 3-star property which is located 25 minutes away from the Neral Railway station and has over 42 rooms which are divided into 5 categories- Bungalow, Royale Suite, Deluxe Villa, Regency Deluxe and Regent Deluxe. It offers all the basic facilities like Conference hall, Swimming pool, Spa, Jacuzzi, Steam, Discotheque, Health club, and Multi-cuisine restaurant.
2. Dune Barr House - Verandah in the Forest- It is a 170-year-old hotel which offers quiet and classic rooms equipped with all the basic amenities and also provides services like Free breakfast, Badminton, Bicycle rental, 24-hour front desk, Laundry service, Horseback riding, Darts, Walking tours.
3. Cecil Hotel- It is a heritage hotel that was built in 1950 and has around 25 rooms and 3 bungalows. The hotel is well equipped and has a large dining room where all the guests are served delicious vegetarian food.
4. Usha Ascot- A 3-star hotel which just a few minutes away from Matheran Railway station offers 5 types of room- Super Deluxe, Ascot Suite, Ascot Villa, Luxury Villa, and Deluxe Room. All the rooms are 100% air-conditioned and have all the basic amenities like TV, phone and private balconies. It also offers two conference halls Mel Milap Hall and Brain Stromer, a discotheque, swimming pool, health club, children's play park, and an in-house restaurant.
Planning a Vacation With Family to Matheran ! Then You Should Checkout Matheran Tour Packages for Family Now!