Things to do in ZurichVisit Zurich Lake, Hike Uetliberg mountain, Explore Old Town, Visit Lindenhof, Visit Museum of Art, Visit Zoo Zurich, Enjoy a cruise on the Limmat, Shop at Bahnhofstrasse, Visit Zurich Opera House and Take a trip to the chocolate factory.
Promising the most scintillating trip of your life, an itinerary filled with the best things to do in Zurich is a one stop solution for every vacationer planning a trip to Switzerland. Zurich is a city that offers many enchanting activities to explore its dreamy landscapes, quaint vibes and a basket of activities and ultimately leaving you crave for more.
Zurich offers plenty of adventures which could vary from a casual stroll amidst the green backdrops to binging on chocolates and pastries. Moreover, the shopping and visiting museums are one of the best things to do in Zurich with family to have an engrossing time.
Whether we talk about how Zurich is a dazzling playground for the adventure junkies, a hotspot for culture vultures or dream waiting to be explored by the gastronomes, the number of activities to do in Zurich are sure to leave you spoiled as a tourist.
A vacation to Zurich promises you numerous memories when you get to indulge in things to do in Zurich at night like cruising on Limmat river, dining at one of the internally renowned restaurants or attending a play at the Zurich Opera House. With so much to offer, Zurich is certainly a tourist destination that is bound to captivate the travellers.
- Some of the besf things to do in Zurich:
Zurich has no dearth of enjoyable activities which one can enjoy when they are vacationing there. A few of the must-do things to do in Zurich are:
1. Take an excursion to Zurich Lake
Bask in the views of Zurich Lake when you are there to take home some resplendent memories of the city. Zurich Lake is a place which is always bustling with activities and you can enjoy bathing in the clear waters, sailing, water sports or a quiet picnic in some corner of the lake. One of the most amazing things to do in Zurich is take a boat tour around the lake and then dine at a lake view restaurant to relish Swish delicacies.
Location: Zurich Lake, Zurich, Switzerland
Timings: No timings
2. Have a hiking adventure at the Uetliberg mountain
Known for its hiking paths and superb aerial views, Uetliberg mountain offers a number of thrilling activities to do in Zurich. The mountain is located in the Swiss plateau and can be reached by a train. Some of the popular activities to enjoy here include biking and paragliding along with enjoying the 360-degree view of the city during night.
Location: Uetliberg, Southwest of Zurich, Switzerland
3. Explore history at Old Town
Take a step down the lanes of history by taking a walking tour of Old town in Zurich. It is one of the spots in Zurich which is bustling with cultural activities and also offers a number of clubs and shopping places.
This is a place in Zurich where you can appreciate the historic architecture and stroll along the cobblestone alleys. Whether you pass by the quaint coffee shops of Niederdorf or come across some cultural activity at Fraumunster, visiting Old Town promises to go down as one of the best things to do in Zurich with family.
Location: Old Town, Zurich, Switzerland
4. Enjoy a serene escape at Lindenhof
If you are looking for some relaxing things to do in Zurich then enjoying some quiet time at Lindenhof is a wonderful way to make the most of your Zurich holiday. Lindenhof was a centre spot for many historic events in Zurich and now a major tourist spot in the Old Town of Zurich famed for its Roman ruins.
It is one of the best recreational spots where you can enjoy a laid-back day with a picnic and appreciate the calm green surroundings of the place.
Location: At the top of Fortunagasse, Zurich, Switzerland
5. Indulge your curious mind at Museum of Art
Known as Kunsthaus Zurich, this place is a bustling collection of modern art from the 13th century by Edvard Munch to Alberto Giacometti. A must visit for art lovers, Museum of Art in Zurich also keeps hosting exhibitions and events along with having a stunning art gallery.
Some of the most popular works of art which you can find here are Vincent van Gogh's "Self Portrait with Bandaged Ear" and Andy Warhol's "Big Torn Campbell's Soup Can."
Location: Kunsthaus Zürich, Heimplatz 1, 8001 Zürich
Price: 23 Swiss Francs
Timings: Tues, Fri–Sun 10 a.m.–6 p.m. Wed, Thurs 10 a.m.–8 p.m. (Mondays closed)
6. Visit Zoo Zurich
Considered as one of the best zoos in Europe, visiting Zoo Zurich is one of the most recommended activities to do in Zurich for wildlife lovers. It boasts of having more than 340 animal species and is known for its conservation initiatives for wildlife.
The zoo is acclaimed for keeping the animals in their near natural habitat by creating ecosystems like the Masoala Rainforest and South American grasslands.
Location: Zoo Zurich, Zürichbergstrasse 221, 8044 Zürich, Switzerland
Price: Adults-CHF 26 and Children-CHF 13
Timings: 9 am–5 pm
7. Enjoy a cruise on the Limmat
Soak yourself in the picturesque views of Zurich while enjoying the Limmat cruise on your holiday. One of the most exciting things to do in Zurich, Limmat cruise takes you from the National Museum to Lake Zurich as you get to see the numerous sights on the way through the glass roofs of the boat.
The boat tour lasts for about 1 hour and offers some of the most amazing views of Zurich.
Location: Schiffsteg Bürkliplatz, Zürich, Switzerland
Price: CHF 4.4
Timings: 8 am–5:30 pm
8. Have a shopping spree at Bahnhofstrasse
One of the most shopping avenues in the world, Bahnhofstrasse is a place where you can empty your pockets and still not be satisfied with your spoils. This shopping boulevard is lined up with multiple boutiques, departmental stores and other famous places where everyone can find something or the other for themselves.
Moreover, the visitors here can enjoy a stroll along with their shopping and indulge in a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of mulled wine to call it a day in Zurich.
Location: Bahnhofstrasse 8001 Zürich
9. Attend an event at Zurich Opera House
From Mozart to Beethoven, Zurich Opera House is a hotspot of cultural events. Zurich Opera House is a place where you can catch multiple concerts, opera and ballet events featuring internationally acclaimed artists like Cecilia Bartoli, Diana Damrau, Joyce DiDonato, Anna Netrebko, Emily Magee, Nina Stemme, Stephen Gould etc.
For its cultural events, Zurich Opera House was also awarded the Best Opera Company of the year in 2014.
Location: Falkenstrasse 1, 8008 Zürich, Switzerland
10. Take a trip to the chocolate factory
One of the unmissable activities to do in Zurich is to witness how the world-famous chocolates are made in the city. This is a guided tour where you get to visit the chocolate factories and see the production process from beginning to end.
Along with learning how the delicious chocolates are made, this activity also allows you to snack on the chocolates and indulging in a delicious cup of hot chocolate.
Location: Maestrani’s Chocolarium, Toggenburgerstrasse 41 9230, Flawil, SG
Price: 15 – 25 people CHF 14 (with guide)
CHF 10 (without guide)
Timings: Varies every day
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Zurich
People Also Ask About Zurich Things To Do
What are the most romantic things that can be in Zurich for couples?
1. Have a dinner date on Limmat river:
Capture the splendid views of Zurich as you enjoy a romantic cruise on the Limmat river. For the most ecstatic experience, one can book a round trip on a boat with a restaurant and take home some of the best romantic moments of your life.
2. Enjoy a train ride with views of Zurich:
Gear up for a romantic adventure as you hop on a train riding through the exhilarating landscape of Zurich to Uetliberg. The scenic ride offers some amazing views of the town of Zurich and Swiss Alps during the journey that lasts for about 30 minutes.
3. Dine amidst the clouds at the Prime Tower:
If you want to do something totally unique when you are in Zurich, one of the recommended romantic activities is to have dinner at the Prime Tower in Zurich. This is the tallest building in Zurich with the famous Clouds Restaurant from where you will get the sweeping views of the city along with lip smacking European cuisine and tantalising cocktails.
4. Take a boat ride to Rapperswil
One of the most beautiful and romantic ways to enjoy your time in Zurich is to take a boat ride to Rapperswil. The boat ride lasts for about an hour and takes you through some of the most picturesque spots of Zurich like Old Town, Rapperswil Castle etc.
Which are the best tourist places to visit in Zurich?
Zurich is full of places where you will feel as if you are transported to some other world and living a dream. Some of the popular tourist places in Zurich are:
One of the popular Swiss landmarks in Zurich, Fraumunster is one of the four reformed churches and known for its gothic architecture. It was once home to the female aristocracy of Europe and enjoyed the patronage of royal families.
It is an architectural marvel which is known for some of its distinct features like the Romanesque chancel and stained-glass windows designed by Augusto Giacometti and Marc Chagall. It is also known to have a series of frescoes by Paul Bodmer and the organ with 5793 pipes.
Location: Münsterhof 2, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Timings: November to February: Daily 10.00m – 5.00 pm and March to October: Daily 10.00 am – 6.00 pm
Located in the old city centre of Switzerland, Lindenhof is a place where you can relive history amidst the Roman ruins and vast expanses of greenery. If you like wandering amidst the medieval pieces of history, then visiting Lindenhof is one of the most enjoyable things to do in Zurich.
Along with its Celtic and Roman ruins, Lindenhof also has a wonderful recreational area where you can enjoy a laid back walk in the evening.
Location: On Lindenhof hill, Zurich, Switzerland
3. Old Town
Get captivated by the historical side of Zurich by visiting the Old Town and enjoying a casual stroll on its cobblestoned roads. It is one of the most fascinating places in Zurich where you will come across quaint coffee shops and beautiful boutiques for some window shopping in Zurich.
The whole neighbourhood of Old town paints a postcard perfect picture of one of the most beautiful cities in Switzerland.
Location: Niederdorfstrasse 19, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Visiting Bahnhofstrasse is one of the most engaging things to do in Zurich for shopping lovers as it famous for being one of the most expensive shopping streets,. The pedestrian street is a place where you can witness time fly by as you will come across a series of well-known departmental stores and luxury brands.
Moreover, there are a number of restaurants and coffee shops here which makes for a delightful evening for all the tourists in Zurich.
Location: Bahnhofstrasse 8001 Zürich
5. Museum of Fine Arts
Focusing on modern art with works of artists from all over Europe, Museum of Fine Arts is a great way to indulge your creative minds in Zurich. It has the largest collection of modern art in Zurich and ihas got various sections in the museum dedicated to smasters of Pop Art, Rothko and Pollock, Munch and Alberto Giacometti.
It is a great visit for art lovers who can enjoy a plethora of documented art along with sections on photography and digital art.
Location: Heimplatz 1 Zürich, Switzerland
For the adventure aficionados, Uetliberg is a mountainous escape located a few miles away from Zurich. It offers a plethora of exhilarating activities along with the most scintillating views of the city of Zurich from above. One can enjoy hiking or mountain biking in Uetliberg and take home some of the most breathtaking memories of your vacation in Zurich.
Location: Uetliberg, Southwest of Zurich, Switzerland
Famous for its Romanesque architecture, Grossmunster is one of the four acclaimed churches of Zurich. It is an Evangelical Protestant church and offers one of the most enthralling vantage points to see the beautiful landscape of Zurich.
Some of the popular characteristics of the church which should not be missed are its glass windows by Sigmar Polke, the Romanesque crypt, the Romanesque capitals, the stained-glass windows by Augusto Giacometti and the Reformation museum in the cloister.
Location: Grossmünsterplatz, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
8. Swiss National Museum
One of the most fascinating activities for lovers of history and culture, visiting Swiss National Museum is a great addition to the itinerary for Zurich. It has documented the history of Switzerland with a vast collection of handicrafts, everyday objects, sculptures, and paintings and keeps hosting a number of exhibitions, concerts and other events.
One should visit Swiss National Museum to get an insight into the Swiss culture and explore the rich nuances that shape the Swiss identity.
Location: Museumstrasse 2, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Price: CHF 10
Timings: Tuesday to Sunday 10.00 am – 5.00 pm and Thursday 10.00 am – 7.00 pm
9. St. Peter’s Church
It is one of the oldest Parish churches in Zurich which dates back to the 9th century. The design of the church is late Romanesque and it is famous for its clock tower which is 64 metres tall and the largest one in Europe.
To have the best experience, one can take a guided tour or try to attend one of the public concerts, inter-faith workshops or the famous advent celebrations at St. Peter’s Church.
Location: St. Peterhofstatt 2, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Timings: 10 am–6 pm
10. Confiserie Sprüngli: A Confectioner's Café
Famous for its signature macarons called "Luxemburgerli '', Confiserie Sprungli is one of the marvellous places to visit in Zurich for the foodies. The historic café was founded in 1836 and known to serve melt-in-mouth preparations of Swiss chocolate.
The legendary restaurant is a must visit in Zurich to appreciate its coffee house culture, relish its pastries and indulge in a heartful lunch or breakfast.
Location: Paradeplatz, Bahnhofstrasse 21, 8001 Zürich
What are the best adventure activities to do in Zurich?
Zurich is a playground for adventure aficionados to get their heart racing with numerous activities. Some of the best adventure activities to do in Zurich are:
1. Take a ski tour in the Swiss Alps: For the mountain enthusiasts, ski tour in the Swiss Alps is supposed to be an adventure to remember for a lifetime. It is blessed with snow clad peaks where one can have an enthralling ski trip with their loved ones.
2. Enjoy canyoning at Chli Schliere: With high rappels, big jumps and fast slides, Chli Schliere is acclaimed to be one of the best places to enjoy canyoning when you are in Zurich. The canyon is a perfect place for rappelling lovers as there are various gorges and waterslides that will give you an adrenaline rush in just a matter of minutes.
3. Have a mountaineering adventure at Jungfrau: One of the most fascinating peaks of the Swiss Alps, Jungfrau is a great place to get your hiking boots in action. Offering a challenging hike, it is one of the most classic places for mountaineering lovers in search of adventure activities to do in Zurich.
4. Enjoy rock climbing at Oberland: For climbing lovers, this is an ecstatic activity to relish your time with a pinch of adventure when you are in Zurich. The place is a nice getaway even if you are going with family and wish to learn a new activity under the guidance of experienced climbers.
What are the things to do in Zurich at Night?
The city of Zurich comes alive at night with the plethora of activities that it offers. Some of the popular things to do in Zurich in night are:
1. Enjoy jazz music at Jazz Club Moods: For the music lovers, attending a bustling night at Jazz Club Moods is one of the best activities to do in Zurich. This place is internationally acclaimed for its music activities with local and international acts for Jazz and other styles of music in this stylish bar .
2. Meet new people at Rimini Bar: A buzzing spot for the locals to grab a drink and strike a conversation, Rimini Bar is the place to go in Zurich at night. If you love to socialise, Rimini Bar is a good spot to get to know more people and catch a splendid view of Sihl river from this open-air bar.
3. Have a lip-smacking meal at LaSalle Restaurant: Serving delicacies of Italian and French cuisine, LaSalle is one of the most exquisite restaurants in Zurich. Along with their mouth-watering food, this place offers a quaint ambience where you can enjoy a superb night with your loved ones in Zurich.
4. Enjoy an entertaining night at Cabaret Voltaire: For the culture lovers, enjoying a night of Cabaret Voltaire should definitely be on the itinerary when you are in Zurich. This is a place where you can spend an entertaining night enjoying the concerts and regular events.
Which are the best hikes in Zurich?
To have an adventurous getaway, hiking is one of the most recommended things to do in Zurich. Some of the popular hikes which can be enjoyed in Zurich are:
1. Jungfrau region: With views of some gorgeous cliffs on one side and waterfalls on the other, Jungfrau region calls all the hikers to have a memorable day in the Lauterbrunnen valley. It is a challenging yet enjoyable hike for all the adventure lovers.
2. Lake Oeschinen: This is an easy trail to enjoy a joyful day besides the lake in Zurich. The hike can be completed in an hour and one should be prepared for some breathtaking views of the mountains from there.
3. Giessbach Falls: Giessbach Falls is a nice way to enjoy one of the most thrilling things to do in Zurich by enjoying a hike to the falls. To reach here, one can take a ferry to the base and then enjoy a splendid day adventure to be treated with delightful views.
4. Lucerne-Mount Rigi: One of the popular spring hikes in Zurich, Lucerne is a place where you bask in the views of the mountains and enjoy lake cruises. It is famed for its panoramic views which shouldn’t be missed when you are in Zurich.
Which are the best places to enjoy shopping in Zurich?
Shopping is one of the fun activities to do in Zurich. Some of the best places to go for shopping in Zurich:
1. Bahnhofstrasse- This place also known as the Zurich 5th Avenue is the most sought after place for any shopaholic indeed. If you fancy luxury shopping, this is the place to go.
2. Seefeld-This is the place where you get more customized stuff. Go to any store and you will not be disappointed. There are shops where you find customized laptop covers, designed both for men and women.
3. Niederdorf- Shopping in Zurich Old Town, will make you acquainted with the local side of Zurich-of its heritage and culture.
4. Kreis District 4&5- If you’re obsessed with designer labels, this is the place for you.
5. Weekly markets-When it comes to street shopping in Zurich, the weekly markets should not be missed out. You can find anything and everything at attractive rates here and it makes for a wonderful way to spend time with family and friends.
What are the things to do in Zurich with family?
Zurich is a great city for families and there are a lot of activities to do in Zurich. Right from adults to children, Zurich has a plethora of activities for families (including kids). The city offers a list of exciting experiences for different age groups and interests.
Some of the things to do in Zurich with family are:
1. Outdoor family activities: If you’re going to Zurich in summers, swimming, hiking and sailing are some of the activities you can do with family. There are also a number of parks where you can visit with your family such as Park im Grüene and The China Garten.
2. Visiting Zoo: If you are fond of animals, a visit to The Zurich Zoo is a must. This zoo is home to native animals, such as foxes, deer, and bears. There are also playgrounds where you can play a sport.
3. Children’s museums: Whether science, history, or technology, there are many museums that are specially designed for children. There is Aathal Dinosaur Museum, Kyburg Castle near Winterthur, Swiss Children’s Museum in Baden, and University of Zurich Zoological Museum are just some of the favorite places in Zurich to visit with children.
4. Go for chocolate experience: Your visit to Zurich is incomplete if you don’t visit The Lindt & Sprüngli Shop Kilchberg Shop. This shop not far from Zurich’s city borders will definitely make your mouth water. An amazing experience to be witnessed with your family. Right from Lindor chocolate balls and pralines, to chocolate bars, you find the exquisite chocolate products which Switzerland is famous for here. The diversity of the chocolate creations is a treat not only for children’s eyes, but for everyone.
5. Go for planet trail: This is an easy 2-hour hike on an elevated trail which is the best for the family. Starting from the Uetliberg to Felsenegg, it shows the distances in the solar system. Each meter of the path represents 1 million kilometers.
What can you do in Zurich for free?
Zurich might be considered as one of the most expensive cities in the world, but there are a lot of activities to do in Zurich for free. Whether you’re traveling solo, with friends or a family with kids, there are activities you love-
1. Rent a bike for free: Renting a bike in Zurich is free. There are a lot of stations where you can rent a bike such as Swiss National Museum and Postbrücke. You just need to download the free app to check the availability of the bike and rental locations. You need to leave a deposit of 20 CHF to rent a bike.
2. Visit art galleries: There are two art galleries in Zurich that offer free entrance on specific days. Visitors can see the works by Rembrandt, Manet and Giacometti at the Kunsthaus for free on Wednesdays. At Migros Museum, the contemporary art can be seen at free of cost on Thursday evenings from 5pm-8pm.
3. Enjoy knockout views at knockdown prices: Zurich has some major viewpoints that cost absolutely nothing.
4. The Polyterrasse: A platform in front of Zurich University from where you will have incredible views of Zurich’s old town. You need to take Polybahn (a tram) which will take you up from the city center to the Panorama Terrace. The ride will be of 3 minutes, at a very cheap price of CHF 1.20. This is an ideal spot to enjoy the mesmerizing views on a sunny day.
5. Uetliberg: From the Zurich’s central mountain, you can enjoy the stunning panoramic views of the city, Lake Zurich, Limmat Valley and on a sunny day, even the Alps. Everything on Uetliberg is free of cost and you can reach here via any public transport.
What is there to do in Zurich in 2 days?
There are a lot of activities to do in Zurich on a 2-day trip. Here are some of the must do:
- Things to do in Zurich on Day 1:
1. Go shopping at Bahnhofstrasse: Boasting of all the luxury brands from H&M to Zara, Bahnhofstrasse is your one stop solution for having a good time in Zurich. It is the main shopping street where you can find a number of things like jewellery, Swiss chocolates, perfumes along with various restaurants and famous departmental stores.
2. Visit Lindenhof: Your 2-day itinerary will remain incomplete without getting up here. Lindenhof offers magnificent views of the city and is considered as one of the places to visit in Zurich. This is a place to relax and chill alongside enjoying the incredible views of the Limmatplatz.
3. Explore the Old Town: What is Zurich without the Old Town? Before arriving at Lake Zurich, take a stroll in the old town of Zurich. With many cafes and restaurants lined up here, you can have lunch/dinner at one of the cafes.
- Things to do in Zurich on Day 2
1. Swim in the lake: If going in the summers, this is a must-do activity for everyone and it’s free of cost so, this shouldn’t be missed out at any chance. The water is clear and you will also find a lot of greenery around.
2. Do a boat tour: A boat tour on a lake Zurich is something that you should look forward to. There are 3 kinds of boat tours available-short, medium, and long cruise. While the short cruise is available at free of cost with Zurich card at a cost of 5 Euros, the other cruise tours are chargeable. If you have Swiss Travel Pass, you can enjoy all the tours at free of cost.
3. Visit the Opera District: Located close to Lake Zurich and the old town, this place is a must-go for the first time tourists to enjoy a day of entertainment with ballet and opera. The place is also renowned for hosting popular plays, famous singers and premiers of various shows in Zurich.
How can I reach Zurich?
- By air:
Most of the major airlines fly to Zurich Airport (ZRH), the largest and busiest airport in Switzerland. There are direct flights running to Zurich from India (Mainly from Delhi and Mumbai). It takes about 8-9 hours to reach Zurich from India by flight and this is the only option to reach Zurich from India.
- By road:
If you are travelling from another European city, then you can opt for this option also. Most highways in Switzerland lead into Zurich, so driving can be looked out as an option if you’re entering Zurich from another part of the country.
- By train:
This option is for people who are already traveling within EU countries. To travel via train, you need to have the Swiss Travel Pass. Board a train to Hauptbahnhof (HB), the main railway station and then stop at Bahnhofstrasse to reach the city centre of Zurich.
Which is the best time to visit Zurich?
The most ideal time to visit Zurich is between the months of June to August. The weather is at its best during this time and the average temperature is around 21 degree celsius. You can enjoy the outdoors during sunny days and go for a walk in the cool breezy evenings. This is also the best time to go swimming in the lake.
If you’re someone who wants to go on ski trips then winter season (December-February) is the best season. As skiers and snow lovers rush to Switzerland during this time, and Zurich being a popular stopover, also experiences a major footfall. Zurich comes alive during the Christmas season. You can witness festivities even at freezing temperatures.
Is Zurich worth visiting?
Yes, Zurich is definitely worth visiting for its scenic landscapes, beautiful streets, varied shopping stores, and delectable swiss cuisine. Also, the tranquillity which this city offers is ideal for distressing oneself from the mundane life and have a perfect peace of mind.
What is Zurich famous for?
Ranked as one of the best cities to live in the world, Zurich is famous for its high-end shopping, fancy chocolates, and opulent lifestyle. Known for being the economic centre of Switzerland, Zurich is also one of Europe’s largest financial centres. It is a delightful place for art lovers.
The museums and old town make it a fascinating place for art lovers. Going to museums is another interesting thing to do in Zurich.
How can I spend my day in Zurich?
You can start your day by taking a stroll around town. Old Town is a place where you can spend hours on the streets of this historic centre where you can find some of the best shops and cafes.
After that, one can explore its scenic landscapes with hike on the Uetliberg. This mountain is covered in the forest, and is full of hiking trails and panoramic views. The day can be wrapped up by spending some time on the serene shores of Zurich lake in the night.
Is Zurich safe at night?
Yes, it’s safe at night. In fact, there’s not even a single place in this city which is a no-go area, even for single travellers. There are a lot of things to do in Zurich at night such as bar hopping for amazing wine/gin experience, or listening to jazz music at Jazz club moods. These are some of the things to do in Zurich at night.
What is a Swiss Travel Pass?
The Swiss Travel Pass is your all-in-one ticket to travel by rail, road and waterway through the entire country of Switzerland.
How much does a Swiss Travel Pass cost?
There are charges on the basis of days and class category. For eg; Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days cost 232 CHF in 2nd class and 369 CHF in 1st class whereas for 4 days, it costs 281 CHF (2nd class) and 447 CHF (1st class). It varies as per the number of days.
Is Zurich walkable?
Yes, Zurich is considered to be one of the world’s greatest walking cities. It has a flat central district boasting of wide walkable lanes, and bridges over the Limmat River, only for pedestrians, giving you a perfect opportunity to do a self-guided walking tour. Infact, Walking is another fun and enjoyable activity to do in Zurich.
How do I get from Zurich airport to city Centre?
Zurich Airport is just 10km away from the city center, so it is quick and easy to get there just after your plane has landed. There are various ways of traveling from the airport to Zurich.
- By train: Trains run regularly from Zurich Airport to Zurich Main Station every 5-10 minutes. Moreover, one can take S-Bahn lines S2, S16, and S24 as well as various regional and InterCity trains that will take you to Zurich Main Station.
- By taxi: The journey takes 15 minutes if you take an airport taxi to reach the Zurich city centre.
- By streetcar: The ride on Line 10 from Zurich Airport to Zurich Main Station takes approximately 35 minutes.
- By shuttle bus: The minibuses run at least once an hour between the city centre and Zurich airport.
What is the main shopping street in Zurich?
Bahnhofstrasse is Zürich's main shopping street and one of the world's most expensive and exclusive shopping places.
Can you see the Alps from Zurich?
There is a point called Bürkliplatz along the lake shore from where you can see the Alps. Seeing the Alps from this point could be an amazing thing to do in Zurich with family.
What is the best way to commute in and around Zurich?
The best way to enjoy Zurich’s neighbourhoods is either on foot or by bike. If you get tired, you can rely on the city’s efficient tram system. This is going to be an amazing experience in itself. Tram hopping experience can turn out to be a memorable thing to do in Zurich.
Other than this,there are buses, cable cars and boats to help travelers to roam around Zurich and its suburbs
What language is spoken in Zurich?
There are four national languages recognized in Switzerland: German, French, Italian and Raetoromanisch ( mainly by Swiss nationals only). If you know one of the four national languages, or at least can understand one European language, then language would not be a big problem for you.
What is the local cuisine of Zurich? Which are the best places to try the local food of Zurich?
The local cuisine of Zurich is käsefondue (cheese fondue), a hot soup of cheese and white wine which is eaten by dunking cubes of bread in it. Raclette is another cheese specific dish. It is prepared with melted cheese on potatoes served with different pickles and sides.
Best places to try the local food are:
- Fondue at Zunfthaus: They, undoubtedly, serve the classic Swiss cuisine and their fondue is supposed to be noteworthy.
- Champagne Truffles at Teuscher: When it comes to Truffles, there’s no other place than this. And the top pick among their truffles are the Champagne truffles.
- Luxemburgerli Macarons at Sprungli: This place is known for their macarons known as Luxemburgerli and has been known to charm the people over the years with their signature dishes.
Which are the best museums to visit in Zurich?
Some of the best museums to visit in Zurich are:
1. The National Museum Zurich: If you’re a history lover and love to delve into the history of any new country, then there is no place other than this to know and understand the history of Switzerland.
2. Money Museum: With the sole focus on the history of money and a critical take on the future of money, this place offers one of the most offbeat things to do in Zurich with family. While visiting here, one can enjoy a collection of coins, banknotes, digital photo galleries, publications etc.
3. Museum Rietberg: This is the only art museum which is dedicated to the Non-European Art in Switzerland and is one of the biggest in Zurich.
4. Kunsthaus Zurich: In this museum, you’ll witness the best of Swiss fine art. Not just this, you will also find the work of the internationally renowned artists that extends back to the Middle Ages.