One of the most striking churches in India is the “Se Cathedral” located in the Southern part of Goa. This magnificent church exhibits excellent artistry of the Portuguese-Manueline style with beautifully arched interior and an impressive courtyard. Previously, the cathedral had two towers but one of them collapsed in late 17th Century and was never rebuilt.
This cathedral is dedicated to St.Catherine, who belonged to Alexandria and there are six panels where her life scenes are beautifully carved. The most prominent feature of this cathedral is the huge “golden bell” which is one of the best bells in the world. This 250 feet high cathedral is a frequented spot and is visited by the tourists as well as locals. The tranquility and serene aura of the cathedral makes it a must visit spot in the list of places to visit in South Goa.
Location: Velha, Goa 403402
Timings: 7:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Entry Fee: Free
Catherine was a lady who was considered as a Christian Saint according to tradition, and was martyred in the early 4th century at the hands of the pagan Emperor Maxentius. It is believed that she was both a princess and a noted scholar, who became a Christian at around the age of 14 and also converted hundreds of people to Christianity, and was martyred around the age of 18.
Catherine was known to be a spiritual pathfinder and raise her voice against the oppression of the Christians under the rule of Roman emperor Maxentius. She was so strong and logical with her arguments that the king himself was incapable of countering them and has a then he formed a committee of 50 philosophers to debate her ideas.
However, even the assembly conceded defeat in front of her and confessed Christianity as their belief. Out of anger, the king burnt the philosophers alive and sentenced st.catherine to prison. Catherine did not give up, and she was succeeded in converting not only the jailers but also the king's wife. It is believed that she showed the path of Christianity to 200 people. Even when she was facing the worse condition of her life, she continued to stretch the word of Jesus.
She was honoured with the title of"patroness of the wheel-wrights" because it is believed then when she was fastened to a spiked wheel as it was mentioned in her death sentence the wheel broke and she was left uninjured. And when she was finally beheaded, it is said that angle took her remains and laid them to rest atop Mount Sinai.
When you visit the Se Cathedral, you can witness the Saint Catherine ornaments, a crown portraying her royal birth and has a book in her hands, which signifies her sound knowledge as she points a spiked wheel, which reveals her martyrdom.
Se Cathedral is one of the gems of Goa and should be in the section of "must-visit" on your list. It is easy to reach this beautiful place which is located in the old Goa.
- From Panji: If you are willing to visit the Se Cathedral church from Panji you can easily choose public transport like buses or private transport like taxi. The total distance of Se Cathedral church from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand is 9 km.
- From Goa International Airport: The total distance from the airport to the Se Cathedral church is 28.2 km and you can take the help of public or private transport which is easily available there.
There is no specific season to visit this peaceful place, but yes, you can be wise to choose months between November to March as it is said to be the best duration for visiting Goa. During this period you will be accompanied by beautiful weather, which will add to your enjoyment and you will be exploring the place it without facing any problem.
During the day, the best time to visit Se Cathedral is close to the opening hours so that you can avoid the long queue or the crowd. You can avoid coming during the afternoon hours so that you don't get to face scorching heat, and you get to know the place thoroughly.
Location: It is located in Old Goa and is 12 km from Panji and 28 kms from the airport. Reaching here will not be a problem as it is a well-known place and public or private transport are easily available.
Timings If you wish to visit here on Sunday you can come anytime between 7:15 am to 10 pm and on other days you are welcomed in anytime between 7:30 am to 6 pm
Fee: There is no entrance fee which is required to pay for visiting this beautiful place.
2. Wear modest clothes and avoid Sleeveless tops, Miniskirts, Shorts, etc. However, they also provide a shawl that you can buy and use to cover your exposed arms and legs.
3. You should follow the rules and regulations of the place, do not try to click photos in the prohibited areas.
4. Se Cathedral is a place that is considered pure and people come here to seek the blessings of God. So, you must maintain the dignity of the place by following all the rules and regulations of the place and keep the surroundings clean.
5. The parking area is a little away from the church so you will have to walk a little.